Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backov
Mar 28, 2010
First, it's not as much of a no brainer as it might seem from the title. :)

I have a custom built laptop that I bought from Aftershockpc.com, which resells customized laptops from a Taiwan manufacturer http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp.

The machine is amazing. But the keyboard is not up to snuff. It's a 102 layout, but it's cramped. The arrow keys cut off 1/3rd of the right shift key, and half of the numpad 0. I'd love to just replace it with a less cramped, no numpad keyboard.

However, I've no idea if that's possible. I asked my builders and they couldn't do it.

Is there a standard for laptop keyboards? Like some sort of ribbon cable connector standard that would allow me to just plug in any keyboard that might fit?

Would my other option be to pop the key caps off and do some ad hoc relaying out? And then what, a custom keyboard layout in Windows or the bios?

Thanks for any help, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I can think of a few good reasons why OEMs would not there to be such a thing as a standard laptop keyboard ribbon cable, so replacing it almost certainly isn't going to work.

I suppose you could remove the chiclets and rearrange them however you wanted (assuming they're all exactly the same size and shape) and/or use a custom keymap in Windows to make the keypresses do what you want them to.

• Locked thread