Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

screaden posted:

Freddie Gibbs worth seeing? He's at the corner hotel in a few weeks, wanna know if it's worth trying to rope some friends in to going with me

that's like asking this thread if their top 5 of the year are all gucci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

My advice is go to every single show you can because live hip hop is awesome.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Honestly, I only really started listening to hip hop mid last year (thanks thread!), so I haven't even been to a hip hop show, but everything I've heard from Freddie so far is awesome so I really want to go.

Sounds like I need to get someone to go with

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
does all live music have a "random dude right next to the lead singer constantly filling in every few verses" because that has consistently been my bad "live hip hop" experience. especially with Nas.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

TheFallenEvincar posted:

does all live music have a "random dude right next to the lead singer constantly filling in every few verses" because that has consistently been my bad "live hip hop" experience. especially with Nas.

I swear Nas is one of the worst live performers I've ever "seen." Seen is in quotes because I've never seen him live, but I've watched a million videos and I've never seen him complete even half a verse without someone having to shout his own lyrics for him. I dunno if he just does a bunch of punch-ins on his albums, or if too much piff has ruined his breath control.

edit: Think about if a rock group tried to do that. Like "aww my hands are too tired to finish this guitar solo, so I'm just gonna have my mans finish it for me instead."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You think people just record a one hour album from start to finish without a break? That's why rappers need hypemen live.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

dethkon posted:

edit: Think about if a rock group tried to do that. Like "aww my hands are too tired to finish this guitar solo, so I'm just gonna have my mans finish it for me instead."

You stupid.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm sure Bobby Shmurda has had a whole lot of singing lessons and does vocal exercises daily to be able to rappity-rap for the entire length of a live performance :jerkbag:. Of course, it's the same thing as the guy who has been playing guitar for 20 years.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

For a long time Metallica never did Dyers Eve live because Lars couldn't play the double bass for it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

A3th3r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyLR4NfMiI
a little throwback action.. I swear that at one time Chris Brown was a legitimate threat lyricism-wise. I'm serious! This is not a joke.

Don't worry Wezlar, I got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKedrQpH5fg

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Chris Brown isn't one of the best lyricists but he makes really good music. X was a very good album.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Wezlar posted:

I actually don't agree at all. For me live shows are a weakness of the music.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
No one's talking about the new future stop sleeping please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJOZKDOzJ0

I'm not familiar with Zaytoven but the production is great too. gently caress with this piano part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpVRoFXBZAA

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I actually don't agree at all. For me live shows are a weakness of the music.
I've seen it both ways. Depends on the performer and the venue.

EDIT: most of the time when I listen to Future it sounds like he's trying to rap or sing under water.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 20, 2015

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Robert Analog posted:

I'm not familiar with Zaytoven

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EO7qPJouXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lx_1URmZ9Q

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hip-hop is probably the most hit-or-miss genre there is when it comes to live performance. A good venue is more important for it than for anything else I can think of, because if you can't understand anything coming out of the mic it's just a waste of time.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Never been much of a trap fan, thanks for the links though

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kenshin posted:

EDIT: most of the time when I listen to Future it sounds like he's trying to rap or sing under water.

His vocal chords seem to have been destroyed by smoking/drugs/performing, so that's probably the production trying to lift his voice up. In interviews you can barely hear him.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Robert Analog posted:

I'm not familiar with Zaytoven

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-hq_CHNH0

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Robert Analog posted:

Never been much of a trap fan, thanks for the links though

Zaytoven has a lot of interesting production. IMO he's as good/better than Mike Will, although he doesn't get all the pop hits. He does work mostly with trap dudes (he also did some stuff for Keef iirc).

Also totally unrelated, new Lupe album is way better than I expected (in that it's actually really good). Only thing I would say is a negative is that it's somewhat of a rough listen compared with F&L/The Cool. 8+ minute songs interspersed with instrumentals, all sorts of production styles, dense lyrics; it's not really a relaxing album. I can only assume he had full control over this because there's exactly zero radio-friendly songs on there. It also kinda sucks because it feels like dude wasted like 5 years of his career fighting his label and having to put out pure garbage/slightly less garbage. I think this was his last on Atlantic so wondering where he goes next.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

His vocal chords seem to have been destroyed by smoking/drugs/performing, so that's probably the production trying to lift his voice up. In interviews you can barely hear him.
Yeah his voice is really strained now it seems. i'll have to listen more to his new mixtape, but tbh I haven't liked much of his poo poo for the last couple of years. The best songs from his album were each like 2 years old. It's also kinda odd how he gets forgotten about with all the "new atlanta" stuff, since he's kinda the forerunner for Migos/Thug (the missing link between them and Wayne, really). Don't know if that's due to him being considered too "famous" or what.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 20, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Splurgerwitzl posted:

That would explain it. He's got great production I just can't understand him half the time when he raps. :(

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

i see your posts and it's like :doh: every time

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

A3th3r posted:

i see your posts and it's like :doh: every time

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm sure Bobby Shmurda has had a whole lot of singing lessons and does vocal exercises daily to be able to rappity-rap for the entire length of a live performance :jerkbag:. Of course, it's the same thing as the guy who has been playing guitar for 20 years.

No, but Nas is like 40. Plenty of time to learn how to, well, rap in a live setting. Maybe Bobby Shmurda should use his jail time to do vocal lessons so that he can be a good live performer when he gets out. All I am trying to say, Braww, is that I consider rappers to be musicians and that some of them should take their craft more seriously.

And I stand by my rock star analogy. Just like that Lars Ulrich comment.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

dethkon posted:

No, but Nas is like 40. Plenty of time to learn how to, well, rap in a live setting. Maybe Bobby Shmurda should use his jail time to do vocal lessons so that he can be a good live performer when he gets out. All I am trying to say, Braww, is that I consider rappers to be musicians and that some of them should take their craft more seriously.

And I stand by my rock star analogy. Just like that Lars Ulrich comment.
You are right, he is wrong. Rappers are performers.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeb6dNHOy0E
Apparently Rihanna is a real big fan of this one

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
All this talk about Nas being a bad performer live. It's funny, I went to his Brisbane show last night and it was pretty drat great. No hypeman, just Nas performing Illmatic and a few of his other most well-known songs. He rapped most of it without a hitch so maybe he's been working on his live performance.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

S4TW2 is out.
http://www.datpiff.com/Lil-Wayne-Sorry-4-The-Wait-2-mixtape.681236.html

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ya it sucks when a venue has bad sound but seriously just get drunk pass the joint and go wild in the crowd, it's always fun. Shows are parties, not some sit down stand in place indie music critique.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

It's so good

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
When I saw Nas do Illmatic the only other person onstage was the DJ. It was an amazing show.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Turns out that pushing Carter V back was all part of Birdman's brilliant plan to get Wayne hungry enough to drop good verses again

JustWalkedIn
Jul 18, 2006
"My CMB days are dead, I aint worried bout ghosts
I married the mob, we divorced
(Whoo)And all that poo poo dead, without me of course
Its nothin, a zombie, a corpse
You burn't yourself and was supposed to pass me the torch
gently caress it, I'll see ya in Forbes, Nigga." - U Guessed It

Wayne's hungry again, and hearing him snap at Birdman is icing on the cake.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

screaden posted:

Freddie Gibbs worth seeing? He's at the corner hotel in a few weeks, wanna know if it's worth trying to rope some friends in to going with me

Do it, saw him a couple years ago in Sydney and it was the poo poo. He said "What's up Sydney" and then rapped for an hour and then left, didn't say poo poo else. Gonna see him again in NZ in Feb.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Bulging Nipples posted:

Do it, saw him a couple years ago in Sydney and it was the poo poo. He said "What's up Sydney" and then rapped for an hour and then left, didn't say poo poo else. Gonna see him again in NZ in Feb.

He'll be playing in Sydney again, as well as Melbourne and Perth.

HorseRenoir posted:

The Lupe Fiasco album leaked and it's actually really good. This feels like the album that should have been released right after The Cool.

Almost slept on this.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
how come whenever somebody posts here askng if they should go see an artist it is almost always one of the best / most adored / hottest rappers around... of course you should son

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the new trinidad james tape is his best mixtape so far. getting dropped from his label and shunned by everyone has done wonders for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jh7-3Pd-E

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wayne :worship:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Cannibal Ox coming: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/33475/Cannibal-Ox-return/

With no El-P I don't know if it will be worth listening to but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

With no El-P I don't know if it will be worth listening to but you never know.

It won't be