Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the onus isn’t on the artist to filter out reflections of their experience for more polite consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not familiar with Monae's politics, but what threw me was her short term fix being drawn under gender essentialist lines.

Escobarbarian posted:

tfw an SMG wannabe tries to post in a normal thread

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not familiar with Monae's politics, but what threw me was her short term fix being drawn under gender essentialist lines.

This is why I brought up Young M.A, a lesbian rapper who uses misogynistic lyrics. I of course agree with Monae's desire to platform the experiences of women rappers, but I have to disagree with the misogyny part because it would exclude M.A's experience.

t a s t e posted:

the onus isn’t on the artist to filter out reflections of their experience for more polite consumption

Yeah, this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Literally no one, anywhere, is telling anyone to cull lyrics necessary to purvey an experience or a viewpoint.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Literally

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm going to stand by the use of literally until someone wants to drag up a crazy on twitter to correct me in which case i still don't lose the argument

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol respect

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Back Dat Azz Up is a feminist anthem.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
https://twitter.com/checktherhyme1/status/1280173489647828993

Uhh is this the first actual gift of 2020?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why are there three Portugal the Man features?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is weird but the first two volumes were great so I’m all about this

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

That is weird but the first two volumes were great so I’m all about this

:hmmyes:

older PtM stuff is fuckin solid. they're probably doing backing band type stuff on those tracks, would be my guess

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Young thug calling something gay

https://mobile.twitter.com/rapvillainy/status/1280378237395234816

Push’s response
https://mobile.twitter.com/wowthatshiphop/status/1280507054839529474

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Thug is right that shits awkward for him and gunna and it was gonna be on pop smokes posthumous album too. People clowning on drake is always funny but there’s a time and a place.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Robert Analog posted:

Thug is right that shits awkward for him and gunna and it was gonna be on pop smokes posthumous album too. People clowning on drake is always funny but there’s a time and a place.

Idk, it seems like the correct time considering the guy’s name was Pop Smoke. Which I always took to mean the smoke off a gun after you shoot it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Robert Analog posted:

Rules to rap beefs are loving stupid. As long as it's between rappers it's all fair game, the object is for the other person to also have the chance to say their part in the beef - the medium is using lyrics and words.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Rap has a long history of surprise disses on songs. Thug should stop crying. Trying to protect his connects.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I like Terrence as much as everyone itt, but he could've just dropped his own song. Thug and gunna are probably both cool with drake and don't want to be on a track with someone dissing him. Also it was for a dead guy's final album (who was murdered), kinda tasteless to use that as his avenue to rekindle a beef.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Robert Analog posted:

I like Terrence as much as everyone itt, but he could've just dropped his own song. Thug and gunna are probably both cool with drake and don't want to be on a track with someone dissing him. Also it was for a dead guy's final album (who was murdered), kinda tasteless to use that as his avenue to rekindle a beef.

On the other hand
This is the exact type of poo poo Pusha talks on literally all his songs he's done for the past 10 years

Pusha T posted:

You know reality bites, it's chess, not checkers
Those empty threats only sound good on your records
If the patois is not followed by a Blocka
It's like Marked for Death Screwface, without the choppa
Let 'em rush the stage when you made like Sinatra
Only to hide the blade flyin' back through LaGuardia
I might even buy a home out in Mississauga
On my walls, have scrawls of Tschabalala's
Many dolls, that're sprawled, they my Ill Nanas
Make a call, she gon' crawl, bad gyal Patra
I'm involved and absolved, I am Godfather, hush

Like no one would have given a poo poo about it if Thug and apperantly Drake who tried to kill it had just let it ride. It'd just be another line in some complex article about "The long history of Pusha T/Drake Beef"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nothing in that screams diss and if Drake did really get that taken off drat he's sad.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Dexo posted:

On the other hand
This is the exact type of poo poo Pusha talks on literally all his songs he's done for the past 10 years

Like no one would have given a poo poo about it if Thug and apperantly Drake who tried to kill it had just let it ride. It'd just be another line in some complex article about "The long history of Pusha T/Drake Beef"

You're right, I didn't know any of the lyrics but that's standard pusha, I assumed it was something overt. And while Drake is still corny as hell I don't blame thug for not wanting to be associated with any of it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol i don't even need to hear that track to read that in his delivery, tone, and cadence

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RBX posted:

Rap has a long history of surprise disses on songs. Thug should stop crying. Trying to protect his connects.
this, honestly, and I love thug (except for that chris brown poo poo).
like who the gently caress cares if his ~relationship with drake has been inconvenienced~ some of yall gotta hear yourselves

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

is pepsi ok posted:

This is why I brought up Young M.A, a lesbian rapper who uses misogynistic lyrics. I of course agree with Monae's desire to platform the experiences of women rappers, but I have to disagree with the misogyny part because it would exclude M.A's experience.

Maybe I'm biased as a Young M.A. fan, but I find her overt objectification of women way less concerning than Drake's I'll bring out the potential good girl I know is inside you, "Good guy" image, that retroactively seems even more unsettling considering the recent talk of his supposed grooming of underage girls.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, but drake’s ex was hanging with some girls he’d never seen before

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

lol i don't even need to hear that track to read that in his delivery, tone, and cadence

For real

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this, honestly, and I love thug (except for that chris brown poo poo).
like who the gently caress cares if his ~relationship with drake has been inconvenienced~ some of yall gotta hear yourselves

I think I’m the only one taking thugs side, I don’t think it’s that crazy of an opinion that he’s trying to avoid some drama tho :shrug:

...but I also concede it probably wouldn’t have been a thing if he never said anything to begin with

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Marching Powder posted:

Correct, and it sounds great.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

An Hour of Kenny Beats and Zach Fox making a song

https://youtu.be/sTQHuEMkbMY

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Ok this dude got hacked for sure but its loving hilarious https://twitter.com/KwCongressional/status/1280547774887575555?s=20

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lol

https://twitter.com/KwCongressional/status/1280549044515934210

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That's the guy who said Beyonce was Italian the other day.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1280839318651764736

Kanye definitely has an album coming out, he only talks when he's got something to sell us - and it will be manic and highly lovely.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The anti-vaccine poo poo. loving hell

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://pitchfork.com/news/kanye-west-talks-presidential-platform-opposes-abortion-vaccines-biden/

lmao

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I didn't see anyone post the audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ5cXDXj_Ek

I can see where thug is coming from, it's pretty overt and Push implies he stabbed someone at the Toronto concert (he didn't lol), I can understand why Thug would not want to get caught up in that

Edit it is a great verse tho to be clear

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Push obviously didn't stab them himself, but uh dude definitely got stabbed by his security at that Concert in Toronto where they rushed the stage.

There are hospital records and police reports. That say one of of those that rushed the stage had serious stab wounds.

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/hip-hop/8486290/pusha-t-toronto-concert-brawl-stabbing-critical-condition

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 8, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dexo posted:

Push obviously didn't stab them himself, but uh dude definitely got stabbed by his security at that Concert in Toronto where they rushed the stage.

There are hospital records and police reports. That say one of of those that rushed the stage had serious stab wounds.

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/hip-hop/8486290/pusha-t-toronto-concert-brawl-stabbing-critical-condition

I was there lol. Pretty sure no one got stabbed during the initial altercation, there were a couple fights in the crowd after and outside too. No one thinks it was his security, there were a million camera phones out recording it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If he's mad about this then Adidon must have killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Im Upset