Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

I'm not saying i agree or disagree, I'm just trying to point out when dudes do express the feeling that there is an "attack" for lack of a better word on black image, immediately dismissing it isn't the way to go, especially when there are dudes in the entertainment industry who also feel the same thing. And my point is kinda proven again-just because the Wayans/Tyler Perry think one thing about black culture, doesn't immediately invalidate what other black dudes think (nor mean they're right). It's not a monolithic entity where one viewpoint has to be taken as the "black" view. I actually remember that the Wayans were asked specifically to address the stuff Chapelle said, but haven't seen how they replied. I mean you could just as easily argue that the fact they're making stuff where they run around in drag is what's being allowed to them. I'd also question that Tyler Perry has that much media power since despite the fact his movies make crazy bank he's never really been able to get a deal with a larger studio. It's probably been better for him in the long run, but studios still see his stuff like ghetto poo poo that's beneath them.

Like, my whole thing is that the view that Thugga jr. is a "threat" to black masculinity or being propped up due to some subconscious desire in white folk to see blacks taken down a peg isn't ridiculous or totally without merit, even if it's not what's occurring in this case.

I mean me personally? I don't really care either way because music is music and as long as he keeps making stuff I get down with, I'll listen no matter how many frilly ballerina dresses he wears/penises he smokes.

I'm not saying I disagree with you totally, but the crux of what i've been trying to say is that Young Thug himself doesn't merit this level of meta discussion. But it got the ball rolling and here we are; the noteworthy thing however it seems that people care about his sexuality one way or another which is much more in the realm of LGBT rights thing than just a black thing, tbh.

And the fact that Perry can't get a deal with a larger studio is because the REAL institutional racism comes in when you try to become part or even try to own any of the pillars of the media conglomerate. Remember when Cosby tried to buy NBC? Or Oprah when she wanted to own a network and then was forced to create OWN? The systematic racism has been in place for years and its in the form of keeping Black people from breaching a certain level of influence (glass ceiling I guess if I could borrow from women's struggles). Tyler Perry certainly has juice though, who cares about getting with a big studio when he was the highest paid entertainer for an entire year making $130 million without them? (Lionsgate is a pretty big studio if you ask me though, and he actually owns the entirety of his own copyrights for all of his productions which is super rare).

*As an aside Chappelle was also interestingly very unique in the fact that he never even forsaw a third season for his own show, he thought he was for sure going to be canned for all the intentional trolling of censors and executives for all of the things he knew were going to get a tremendous amount of pushback for doing. He was a classic issue of money talks, the DVD sales for season 1 and 2 were so astronomical that they HAD to have him do a third season and were ready to throw 100 million at him which they did and guaranteed in the realm of 50ish million of. He only quit the show mid stream because he was so conflicted on whether his comedy was reinforcing stereotypes instead of just making light of them and that the entire satire of making fun of those stereotypes was going completely over everyone's head. I think that he got too paranoid, and made too quick of a decision...the show was a once in a lifetime chance to have a transformative platform that outweighed all the bad parts. On his inside the actors guild interview I think he realizes that now but he was so engulfed in the whirlwind of popularity that he didn't have time to separate his emotion from the truth of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
As an aside to that aside if you ever have the chance to see Dave Chappelle live, do it. I saw him last year here in Seattle and he was fantastic and even talked about some of that stuff, both seriously but also while making it funny.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Kenshin posted:

As an aside to that aside if you ever have the chance to see Dave Chappelle live, do it. I saw him last year here in Seattle and he was fantastic and even talked about some of that stuff, both seriously but also while making it funny.

Agree totally, he dropped into comedy cellar once and told a couple of jokes and it was glorious. He's so good about talking about the difficult and uncomfortable things in a way that anyone could pay attention to and appreciate. Kevin Hart has some of that type of ability in him, I think his next comedy special is going to be so huge.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That's the thing though-they can't be said to be able to do whatever they want and control their onw image and whatever in the media if they're being shut out of real ownership. And as I mentioned I think it was actually better in the long run for Perry to not be working under a studio deal because as you mention, he kept all his rights so he's able to see the majority of the money from what he makes (this is also a very good lesson for artists, fwiw).

And (something I agree with) Chappelle wasn't gonna transform anything, and he realized it. Dudes was gonna pick out the parts they wanted, and ignore the actual meat of what he was doing.

Dave Chappelle posted:

You know why my show is good? Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong

But this is probably a bit far afield.

As for Young Thug not meriting this level of discussion, I'd dispute that heavily. Although I don't always agree with how he applies it/the conclusions he draws, one thing I always do think is interesting about Noz is how he does seem to want to discuss pretty much all rap and rap dudes as important. You don't have to be doing Kanye-level poo poo or trying to drop messages like Kendrick to be a rapper worthy of analysis imo.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

alansmithee posted:

And (something I agree with) Chappelle wasn't gonna transform anything, and he realized it. Dudes was gonna pick out the parts they wanted, and ignore the actual meat of what he was doing.
Absolutely. I was one of those dudes back in college when Chappelle's Show was the big new thing, only in the past few years did I realize that some of the stuff I thought was funny back then wasn't funny for the reasons I thought it was.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Absolutely. I was one of those dudes back in college when Chappelle's Show was the big new thing, only in the past few years did I realize that some of the stuff I thought was funny back then wasn't funny for the reasons I thought it was.

Yeah but inadvertently that entire effect of you watching the show at all and being exposed to the subject matter was entirely worth it even going over your head. The fact that he could do those things on TV was reason enough to keep doing them. Without him there is no shows like Key & Peele and Blackish, no Charlie Murphy career resurgence, no Bill Burr career, no Donelle Rawlings career and people would still not know who Paul Mooney is even though he is one of the most important people in comedy history. I wish he would have stayed and did more but I can see where he is coming from and why he did what he did.

It going over everyone's head was something that was happening in the immediate, but as it aged it would be able to stand on its significance alone in time.

alansmithee posted:

That's the thing though-they can't be said to be able to do whatever they want and control their onw image and whatever in the media if they're being shut out of real ownership. And as I mentioned I think it was actually better in the long run for Perry to not be working under a studio deal because as you mention, he kept all his rights so he's able to see the majority of the money from what he makes (this is also a very good lesson for artists, fwiw).

But this is probably a bit far afield.

As for Young Thug not meriting this level of discussion, I'd dispute that heavily. Although I don't always agree with how he applies it/the conclusions he draws, one thing I always do think is interesting about Noz is how he does seem to want to discuss pretty much all rap and rap dudes as important. You don't have to be doing Kanye-level poo poo or trying to drop messages like Kendrick to be a rapper worthy of analysis imo.

You're right about the last part but c'mon lets be honest here, we could have had the conversation about the Black masculinity dynamic in the OP, it shouldn't take what Young Thug does to bring us there.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kendrick Lamar is (not) gay?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In keeping with this thread's recent trend of discussing stupid poo poo that doesn't loving matter, Wale's album just leaked.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Chapelle's catchphrases got ran into the ground so bad. On that standup he talks about everywhere he went people would yell "I'm Rick James bitch" at him.

I would do basically anything for $50 million though...

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

In keeping with this thread's recent trend of discussing stupid poo poo that doesn't loving matter, Wale's album just leaked.
im the only clown in here that's a huge fan of wale so thank you for letting me know. i hope it's as good as the mixtape about nothing

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Budget Prefuse posted:

im the only clown in here that's a huge fan of wale so thank you for letting me know. i hope it's as good as the mixtape about nothing

I have good nostalgia for stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohLIN8PKqPY but that'll never happen again

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

lol at the idea that thug's weirdness is a marketing ploy, he's been tweeting about penis smoking!!! for years

good electric fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 28, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

good electric posted:

lol at the idea that thug's weirdness is a marketing ploy, he's been tweeting about penis smoking!!! for years

Yeah but no homo though

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

what he's really trying to say is that he's a heterosexual trans woman

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
New OG Maco tape

https://soundcloud.com/og-maco/sets/i-made-this-poo poo-before-u-guessed-it

The best release this month

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

good electric posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that he's referring to "glass dicks" in these tweets. It's a drug reference.

Sorry if your post wasn't serious, but I'm sure a lot of people just skimming the thread aren't actually in on the joke.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Budget Prefuse posted:

I'm tentatively optimistic. His first few releases were really nice, but then his major label dropped and kinda flopped and he's been mostly downhill since. I think dude's got some talent to still make kinda-catchy stuff, hopefully he tones down the MMG-style stuff he pulled for his last couple albums (although that did get him the biggest success). Also I guess he's actually kinda a friend with Seinfeld now? Idk but it's weird.

As an aside it's still kinda strange to me how DC has kinda never really had a huge rap presence. Like there's been random cats but they were never associated with "DC", and even Wale's never been that big. And for whatever reason Fat Trel and Shy Glizzy never seemed to catch on much.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Budget Prefuse posted:

gently caress everyone, Wale is Jesus.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

vanbags posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that he's referring to "glass dicks" in these tweets. It's a drug reference.

Sorry if your post wasn't serious, but I'm sure a lot of people just skimming the thread aren't actually in on the joke.

Bruh smoking the glass dick means you're loving smoking crack. That's never cool or funny. He's talking about blunts. It's not a "joke" either.

Regardless Wake is cool if a little boring at times.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

Bruh smoking the glass dick means you're loving smoking crack. That's never cool or funny. He's talking about blunts. It's not a "joke" either.
I've literally never heard a blunt referred to as a penis in my life, so I'm going to keep assuming Young Thug enjoyed a foray into crack or meth at one point.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All he smokes is weed and he likes to use homosexual language. Ergo he's calling a blunt a dick because its "funny". If he was bragging about smoking meth he'd be publicly laughed at.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Best post in the last couple pages.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Young Thug's flow is so loving crazy, I love it.

He also has a weird knack for creating infectious hooks that are totally unintelligible.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

RBX posted:

All he smokes is weed and he likes to use homosexual language. Ergo he's calling a blunt a dick because its "funny". If he was bragging about smoking meth he'd be publicly laughed at.

He tweeted smoking penises, I don't think he's worried about the public ramifications of his words or being laughed at.

Plus he's rapped about cocaine before, it's not a huge stretch to think he tried it once before. Glass dick could also be for speed or any other amount of things.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Another Yung Lean x GLO collab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cyevb__fyk

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Is Kendrick directing this verse at Drake on You Ain't Gotta Lie?

quote:

And the world don't respect you and the culture don't accept you
But you think it's all love
And the girls gon' neglect you once your parody is done
Reputation can't protect you if you never had one
Jealousy (complex), emotional (complex)
Self-pity (complex), under oath (complex)
The loudest one in the room, nigga, that's a complex
Let me put it back in proper context

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Besson posted:

He also has a weird knack for creating infectious hooks that are totally unintelligible.

That's the only thing i see him in personally. I don't get the praise for anything else he does at all but different strokes and poo poo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

temple posted:

Is Kendrick directing this verse at Drake on You Ain't Gotta Lie?
I hope so...

quote:

Who you foolin'? Oh, you assuming you can just come and hang
With the homies but your level of realness ain't the same
Circus acts only attract those that entertain
Small talk, we know that it's all talk
We live in the Laugh Factory every time they mention your name
confirmed

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
A sneak dissa that's that poo poo I don't like

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kendrick doesn't want that work

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kendrick Lamar is scared of weed

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Id rather hang out with drake than kendrick

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

thathonkey posted:

i'd rather be in LA than toronto

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

...but drake lives in LA now. The discussion is how far/close we want to be based off metrics.

e: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2015/03/santa_ana_police_arrest_immortal_technique_for_robbing_bootleggers_before_his_show.php

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Haha, can't believe how much I was into this bozo when I was like 13, drat I should've been there to see it
Yo! NMD Raps - Immortal Technique is now out of jail tweeting a meme about Syria and Gaza about an hour ago

kind of a dick move

quote:

Niggas said hip hop was dead but I'm invoking the spirit
We taking it back in the day to the golden age
When wack motherfuckers used to get thrown off stage
Immortal Technique, I made this the bump in your ride
Or burn it off the internet, and bump it outside
Nigga, we keeping it live, we keeping it live
We keeping it live, we keeping it live
Burn it off the loving internet, and bump it outside

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 28, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

To ask him what it's like to get bitchslapped by Diddy?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Joe Gillian posted:

Tremendous Taste posted:

Kendrick Lamar is scared of weed

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Immortal Technique

hahahha, he must have been a closet capitalist all this time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

kdot just seems like kind of a square. like he'd maybe go out on a saturday night but then wake you up really early the next morning to see if you want to go to church.

i just want to cruise 6-side with drizzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
what's wrong with goin to church