Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://www.google.com/finance?q=STO%3AASP&ei=-V0dVcHkHYThuAT86YLoCQ

check out the last month of the stock price for the parent company, lol. Tidal is the bitcoins of the music world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
What Jay-Z doesn't--and can't--understand is that if there is going to be a service that trumps Spotify it isn't going to come from him or the people he's paying to do it, it's going to come from an unknown software startup.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

In 25 years Jay-Z is going to look back at his legacy and cringe while looking at a picture of himself at the TIDAL press conference in a bacon collared t-shirt on stage with two fake robots assholes. Better than this though

Don't know if it's better or worse than this though. Time will tell

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

temple posted:

Anyone using TIDAL?

They stole that joke from Arrested Development too

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Didn't Jay-Z say in some interview about TIDAL some poo poo like "water is free" or something? I don't think he knows about the cost of things anymore and that's funny as hell.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Don't know if it's better or worse than this though. Time will tell

Lol freeway got the hood on smash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LASJm1HdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME11kS5qQBw

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 2, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Cmon dude this is a layup here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swlUtEkXZ0

Jay and Free rapping behind "even though what we do is wrong" in the background

Apropos!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

Anyone using TIDAL?

From what I can tell, it's spotify but more expensive and with a worse lineup. I mean I get that they offer higher quality music and whatever but 95% of the time I'm listening to spotify it's on my phone or a computer, and I don't really know if I'm gonna hear all that difference to be worth twice the cost and a lesser music library. To me it feels a bit like that ace of spades champagne Jay Z started pushing, which was just some cheaper poo poo they pulled him on as a figurehead to lead some rebranding (with a price hike).

Edit-and I'm liking the billy woods album so far. Not sure if it's as good as dour candy, but liking it better than his other stuff. Think the short nature of the songs helps his style a lot-everything punches in quick and is gone before it wears out it's welcome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like it more than Dour Candy and Furtive Movements (if we can throw Armand Hammer in there) but less than History Will Absolve Me or Race Music.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Tidal is superior listening experience tho i only stream lossless FLAC to my bluetooth shower speaker because i want to FEEL IT :smug:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

alansmithee posted:

As an aside it's still kinda strange to me how DC has kinda never really had a huge rap presence. Like there's been random cats but they were never associated with "DC", and even Wale's never been that big. And for whatever reason Fat Trel and Shy Glizzy never seemed to catch on much.

Never really understood why he can't seem to get any real traction. Young Jefe and Law 3 were both great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YODWMi5HA8M

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

there are some capacious butts in that King Kunta video

10/10

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the King Kunta video is good, still not really convinced about the song though

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Didn't Jay-Z say in some interview about TIDAL some poo poo like "water is free" or something? I don't think he knows about the cost of things anymore and that's funny as hell.

He thinks because his concerts overcharge $6 for a bottle of water that normal people pay that much for water daily. He's completely disconnected from the consumer he's trying to talk to like most celebs.

"Somebody convinced people to buy water for $6 so we can convince people to buy into Tidal!"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
You mean to tell me celebrities dont have some sort of inherent business acumen?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

thathonkey posted:

You mean to tell me celebrities dont have some sort of inherent business acumen?

I think it's more of how loving funny it is considering Jay-Z is rags to riches, and a lot of his image post-2001 is that he's still the same guy. Hell, most rappers who make it really big. It just shows how out of touch he is along with a lot of other superstars (those that didn't sign up just for the check.)

It's like the season of 30 Rock where Tracy realizes he's completely out of touch with people and it shows up in his stand up. "Have you ever noticed St. Bart's people eat their lobsters like this BUT St. Martin's people eat their lobsters like this?"

EDIT: I think it's even funnier because Jay-Z has been on the forefront of some cutting edge deals like ROCNation etc, where he makes a bunch of money. This is something that's already been done in a medium where people don't spend money if they can skip it. Isn't it like 1 in 8 pay for Spotify? What is going to want to make them pay more? Do these artists think people love them THAT much? It's a beautiful collision of having too much ego and too much money.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 2, 2015

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I haven't listened to TPaB much after the first week. Are people in this thread who loved it still playing it a lot?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Nah you dont actually listen to tpab it is like grandmas furniture that's too nice to sit on, just admire

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Robert Analog posted:

I haven't listened to TPaB much after the first week. Are people in this thread who loved it still playing it a lot?

I still put it on but I always listen to the whole thing

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Nah you dont actually listen to tpab it is like grandmas furniture that's too nice to sit on, just admire

And if it wasn't actually grandma's you'd just throw it away

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
lol at the idea of listening to u or the 2pac interview more than once

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i forgot tpab even came out tbh

can you imagine how boring a kendrick show is going to be now

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i forgot tpab even came out tbh

can you imagine how boring a kendrick show is going to be now

At least we now know why hologram tupac was even a thing.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Robert Analog posted:

Yes. Who are these people that don't listen to music after a week?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

ol yeller posted:

lol at the idea of listening to u or the 2pac interview more than once

I don't like the beginning or the hook but I really really like the second half of u. I still listen to Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, u, Hood Politics, and the Blacker the Berry a lot.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

Yes. Who are these people that don't listen to music after a week?

I get burnt out on stuff. I was talking about listening to it 5 times the day it came out. I think it's easy to get caught up in the hype and that skews people's view. Its being hailed an instant classic or whatever. I've been listening to the new future, earl, and billy woods whereas GKMC (a classic) got steady play for months.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
poo poo dont change until you get up and wash yo rear end boy

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xt1iTGQMxc

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So Dre can push overpriced headphones, but Jay can't push an overpriced streaming service?

I think it will be a success, assuming he brands it correctly. As long as consumers can identify that LeBron James or Lil Wayne are listening to Tidal through their Beats they will feel obligated to listen to Tidal through their own Beats.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Studio quality headphones have been around but Dre marketed them to average people. I remember some producers I follow talking about them years ago and specifically mentioning how Dre's music is so well mixed, you can enjoy it on any system. Most good producers mix for low end and high end setups.

TIDAL is just competition for spotify. The only way it will increase revenue for ~artists~ is to start a price war for their music. That's it. Its what any good capitalist would do.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 3, 2015

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
currently listening to new Waka tape on $20 earbuds I just got from amazon :whatup:

https://soundcloud.com/wakaflockaflame/sets/salute-me-or-shoot-me-5

e: shits p nice

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 3, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't like the beginning or the hook but I really really like the second half of u. I still listen to Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, u, Hood Politics, and the Blacker the Berry a lot.

These and i are the only ones I really listen to now. I was pretty shocked at how quickly the rest faded for me.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

temple posted:

Studio quality headphones have been around but Dre marketed them to average people. I remember some producers I follow talking about them years ago and specifically mentioning how Dre's music is so well mixed, you can enjoy it on any system. Most good producers mix for low end and high end setups.

TIDAL is just competition for spotify. The only way it will increase revenue for ~artists~ is to start a price war for their music. That's it. Its what any good capitalist would do.

Yeah but Beats aren't even remotely studio quality or good at all. This service is supposed to be actually good not just marketing.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Can't stop bumping Knxwledge remix albums on bandcamp. His Tupac one is super cool, sounds like Pac rapping as he flats away in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrD8YvYUzgM

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

bows1 posted:

Yeah but Beats aren't even remotely studio quality or good at all. This service is supposed to be actually good not just marketing.
I can't comment on the quality of Beats because I've never personally owned a pair, but I don't think there's any denying that branding and marketing is almost entirely responsible for its success. Most people rely on youtube and aux cords for their music fix, no one is sweating "studio quality" but a niche market of audiophiles.

Whether you're watching professional athletes during pressers, celebrities in paparazzi pics/Instagram, or radio hosts on Hot97, you will see a pair of headphones that are distinctively designed to stand out. By a glance I can't really differentiate between a Sennheiser or an Audio Technica, but I can easily identify Beats.

I'm just saying if Jay-Z can use his celebrity and influence to brand Tidal in the same way he's maneuvered in sports management and every other venture he's pursued, I can't see Tidal being a total flop. If it's the "in" thing and our favorite celebrities on social media are embracing it there will be plenty of people willing to spend the money despite cheaper or free services being available.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

temple posted:

I remember some producers I follow talking about them years ago and specifically mentioning how Dre's music is so well mixed, you can enjoy it on any system. Most good producers mix for low end and high end setups.

That is the goal of almost every mastering. It is also unlikely that he did the mastering and mixdown himself and even if he did, it is still standard practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If Jay can get Taylor Swift onto Tidal, and then get Roc Nation artists exclusive on it, maybe get Kanye and Beyonce, it'd pretty much have to be successful.