Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Housh posted:

You think all these Kanye albums going to be short?
wasn't pretty much all the poo poo he revealed seven tracks? guess some of them might last longer than others in terms of actual time total but I figure most of them will be pretty short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

HorseRenoir posted:

advance copies of Pusha T's album are out according to twitter, apparently the album is only 20 minutes long but not a single second is wasted. hearing a lot of comparisons to Hell Hath No Fury

I'll buy a Pusha Album that was 3 minutes of YUUGH and WOO's

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/999481222257610753

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
everything I've heard from this Pusha album is awesome

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
20 minutes I listen through three times in a sitting better than a 90 minute album I listen to once ever.

Two of my favorite projects of the last few years are beast mode (28min) and 56 nights (28min).both could lose a track or two and not be any less great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

dude I would take a 7 track album over these 20+ song albums all day every day.
Oh I totally agree, but 7 tracks/20 minutes is an EP, not an album.

It's a similar boat to what Nine Inch Nails is in. They're about to release a new EP but they're calling it an album despite it only being 6 tracks/30 minutes. Apparently they're only calling it that because albums show up more to the forefront of artist pages on streaming services and EPs get more buried.

Like, I'm sure it'll be good, but it's not like it's this hour long thing.

But you're right, 7 strong tracks is way better than like 30 track albums with only a handful of tracks that are actually good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The whole ep/album designation is dumb anyways since the original meaning had more to do with constraints of a physical medium.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Marching Powder posted:

beast mode (28min)

huh. and i just found out beast mode 2 is en route. sick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

The whole ep/album designation is dumb anyways since the original meaning had more to do with constraints of a physical medium.

Absolutely.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
+1 for "20 minutes of bangers with not a second wasted" is preferable. Having said that, the last Gibbs project was solid but short, and I think I rarely went back to it as a result, so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m very up for a shorter album. My Name is my Name was a bloated mess whereas the King Push EP he put out was short and to the point.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, as a guy who’s into punk, short and sweet is the name of the game. One of my favorite bands still hasn’t broken 30 minutes, their 3 albums are less than an hour of music, but it’s non-stop mayhem and I go back to it often (just yesterday even!)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, as a guy who’s into punk, short and sweet is the name of the game. One of my favorite bands still hasn’t broken 30 minutes, their 3 albums are less than an hour of music, but it’s non-stop mayhem and I go back to it often (just yesterday even!)

If you can stand a bit of heavy metal, check out some crossover thrash. Short songs with a lot of punk elements.

I kind of had the thought that the last RHQ record ran really long, then I looked and it had like 19 tracks and was basically a full CD. The music was still quality but that's a lot for a single artist imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DrewWUD/status/999490804950413317

:supaburn:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

after all these 1.5 hour long 30 track trash albums i cant believe my eyes seeing people whine about one that might be short and coherent

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

40 lbs to freedom posted:

after all these 1.5 hour long 30 track trash albums i cant believe my eyes seeing people whine about one that might be short and coherent

To be fair, I think that I'm more wishing I got more content after all this time that Pusha has been gone but goddammit it's about to be 20 minutes of hot fire

It's sad too cause Pusha has the best delivery in rap by far, and his energy is awesome. He better have a feature on Ye's album or something....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m very up for a shorter album. My Name is my Name was a bloated mess whereas the King Push EP he put out was short and to the point.

I wouldn't say it was bloated, it probably had maybe 3 songs that were clearly shots at pop/club play(No Regrets, Sweet Serenade, Let me love you) but even on those Push brought it.

(I actually kinda gently caress with Let me Love you tho, the Ma$e flow >>>>)

But yeah in general I'm fine with focused projects. I wish we got more, but there hasn't been a Pusha Project yet where there has been a bad song. He is batting drat near 1.000 for me musically.

So as long as the quality control is there I'm good with whatever he releases.

Most albums these days only have about 7 songs on them that are any good anyway, and these are albums with like 20 loving tracks

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 24, 2018

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
MORGAN FREEMAN INNOCENT

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here’s the cover art for Daytona. It’s Whitney Houston’s crack bathroom.

Kanye paid $85k for the pic.

Edit.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 24, 2018

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
yeezy really got on the phone at 1am and paid $85k to change pusha t's album cover to a photo of whitney houston's crack bathroom 48 hours before the album dropped. loving legend.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i wish someone "do something" about kanye. whitney was a legend.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mary J. Blige should kick his rear end.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/1kanagwa/status/998394933043171329?s=21

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Rap blew up into a full fledged genre right around the time CD's were replacing vinyl so you had the golden age classic stuff unfortunately coming in with everyone starting to go all "WOW WE CAN JUST INCLUDE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING FROM THE SESSIONS!". And so it's like it got imprinted on folks that it's totally normal to have 20 or so four minute songs on a rap record, when yeah no, there isn't the slightest need for that poo poo.

One of the reasons Illmatic is the best of all time is it being so drat economic.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Grape posted:

Rap blew up into a full fledged genre right around the time CD's were replacing vinyl so you had the golden age classic stuff unfortunately coming in with everyone starting to go all "WOW WE CAN JUST INCLUDE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING FROM THE SESSIONS!". And so it's like it got imprinted on folks that it's totally normal to have 20 or so four minute songs on a rap record, when yeah no, there isn't the slightest need for that poo poo.

One of the reasons Illmatic is the best of all time is it being so drat economic.

Was just listening to illmatic last night and this is spot on. There isn’t a single wasted second on that whole album. Its also one of those albums where I’m going to listen to the whole thing and rarely would play just one track. If people haven’t checked it out, there is a YouTube video of a lecture at Duke(?) where a couple professors and 9th wonder discuss Illmatic and it’s impact. It was really interesting if you like learning about hip hop history.

https://youtu.be/b3oez_FRogI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

temple posted:

i wish someone "do something" about kanye. whitney was a legend.

I'm of two minds, It's not the greatst look, and I wish it was a different cover. Bobby Brown would be a better pull anyway. Push probably should have said no.

But man are we really gonna act like we didn't have jokes about Whitney's drug habit for literal decades.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Here’s the cover art for Daytona. It’s Whitney Houston’s crack bathroom.

Kanye paid $85k for the pic.

Edit.

HorseRenoir posted:

yeezy really got on the phone at 1am and paid $85k to change pusha t's album cover to a photo of whitney houston's crack bathroom 48 hours before the album dropped. loving legend.
I like how he claims to be in debt yet has $85k lying around to throw at poo poo like this

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I like how he claims to be in debt yet has $85k lying around to throw at poo poo like this

*business debt

This is America

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm sure they billed it to GOOD Music anyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Him being in debt was during the Pablo era. They made the money back through Kimoji and poo poo like that. Also I think Kanye won big or at least settled with the insurance on his tour?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I should have posted this yesterday. Sorry, guys. (Do we have a single gal in this thread?)

https://youtu.be/SQsPvrev_bQ

I loving love that aside from the stutter step that was Cherry Bomb, Tyler is just becoming a better all around artist.

Also that Whitney crack pic is badass. If you’re offended, then turn off rap because they’ve been making Whitney crack cracks since at least 2007.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's leaked

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have watched each of these Pusha clips about 20 times a piece and am loving stoked for this album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Seriously are there no Aussies in this thread who have heard it already? How about the Rocky album? Never cared for him in the past but the feature list for this album has my attention. FKA Twigs!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh hey Ross is on this track

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

pm me thx

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Anyone know what time the album will officially drop on iTunes? I'll stay up if I can grab it at midnight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where’s monkeu with the sauce ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The sauce is here