Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Where were you when Tha Carter V actually released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RBX posted:

At the crib hoping that poo poo pop up on Spotify but knowing I'll have to wait until sometime Friday morning probably.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBX posted:

Idk, I'll get back to you when that happens lol

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looks like I'll be keeping that five as we wait for Wayne to drop his V on us. Stay tuned this time next year for another release date.

Though I must say the intrigue had me salivating so I put the Carter 2 on as an appetizer. That poo poo still bang.

Screaming Free The Carter V till the death of me.

The greatest mystery of the 21st century: whatever happened to The Carter V?

There will be entire television shows dedicated to the mystery of rap's Holy Grail. Every now and then, men will return from the treacherous depths of the tundra clutching what they believe to be Tunechi's final gift only to be crucified by the acolytes of Wayne who know that this tape shall never be heard by the unworthy. We are all unworthy.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I just listened to The Carter V and watched the Piss Tape. They were both instant classics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow, just started the new Brockhampton and it really starts off with a bang :stare: NEW ORLEANS fuckin' slaps

e: DISTRICT is my poo poo

e2: TAPE too! The production on this album rules

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 21, 2018

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Production on the new Brockhampton is crazy but I feel like it's doing most of the work here, the songwriting/verses don't feel as tight or memorable as Saturation and I don't know if they're really figured out the post-Ameer dynamic yet

Only 1/3rd of the way through this Lupe album but it's super good, if the rest of the album is this good this might end up being his best to date

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lupe new AOTY for me. It's excellent.

Brockhampton again great production but they've far too many MCs that don't add anything to the mix.
Weight is the best song on it, the production is amazing.

Gonna listen to the new Father next.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
the Lupe album is incredible, god drat. reminds me a lot of KRIT's last album where it's insanely long but somehow manages to justify its length because he really has that much to say. Shockingly consistent for the length too, in terms of beats, hooks, bars, concepts, etc. It feels like Lupe was waiting years to get off of Atlantic so he could drop an album like this

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
man i was kind of annoyed when i saw DROGAS WAVE was 24 tracks but goddamn it is good

i'm on XO and it just gets better and better

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 21, 2018

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Been waiting for Drogas WAVE for loving years. 2018 has been the best hip-hop year ever.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
halfway through morning commute so far new brockhampton is good poo poo

also can’t believe you all have me excited to listen later to a new lupe fiasco album in 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah new Lupe is really good.

I'm glad I didn't stay up waiting for C5....Wayne you fucker lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never bothered to figure out who everyone in Brockhampton was so I don’t think I’ll notice Ameer’s absence

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Henchman of Santa posted:

I never bothered to figure out who everyone in Brockhampton was so I don’t think I’ll notice Ameer’s absence

He was the one that rapped nonstop about how he used to sell drugs

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He rapped with literally the same flow on every song in Saturation always.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
New Father is good. Only song that doesn’t jive with me on first listen is “Wine.” Production is solid throughout, if a bit samey in some cases. He managed to get a decent/passable Slug Christ verse and there are only 3 guests on the whole thing.

Overall, I’d say it’s his best/most cohesive project yet. I’m happy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DB1LKff7Qw

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy gently caress this Lupe album is amazing

WAV Files is just... goddamn.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kenshin posted:

Holy gently caress this Lupe album is amazing

WAV Files is just... goddamn.

Yah WAV Files has all of the vibes. I also really like Down right after it, that hook is amazing..

The seahorse be holding us down
Jellyfish they just be rolling around
Lobsters is cool,
They are not food,
They're part of the crew

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 21, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrSargent posted:

The seahorse be holding us down
Jellyfish they just be rolling around
Lobsters is cool,
They are not fool,
They're part of the crew

I think she's saying they are not food!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think she's saying they are not food!

I think you are correct. My brain probably just wanted to rhyme cool and fool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I only knew because I'm listening to the album again right now 😎😎😎😎😎😎

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TheIllestVillain posted:

man i was kind of annoyed when i saw DROGAS WAVE was 24 tracks but goddamn it is good

Ya seriously I saw the tracklist and was like fuuuuuck another bloated rear end 2018 rap album

But it all slaps

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How can you not love this guy

Lupe album is dope but I feel like I have heard a few of the middle-tracks come out over the last few years

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lupe is redeemed after his awful last album

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hope he gets good sales from this, he deserves it

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Man, if my name were Alan I would never stop playing "Alan Forever."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheIllestVillain posted:

deadwing posted:

Ya seriously I saw the tracklist and was like fuuuuuck another bloated rear end 2018 rap album

But it all slaps
So it's a lot better than Culture II and Scorpion and SR3MM and other long rap albums like that?

98 minutes is a time commitment and I'm not especially familiar with Lupe, so I'm hesitant to put that kind of time into listening to an album from an artist I'm not sure is good, but if y'all vouch for it then I'll check it out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So it's a lot better than Culture II and Scorpion and SR3MM and other long rap albums like that?

98 minutes is a time commitment and I'm not especially familiar with Lupe, so I'm hesitant to put that kind of time into listening to an album from an artist I'm not sure is good, but if y'all vouch for it then I'll check it out.

There is really no comparison between this album and the ones you mentioned. This is a complete project with no filler whatsoever. It feels shorter than 98 minutes imo and never feels like a slog.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

edit: yeah ^^ they're just not comparable at all

Lupe is a dope lyricist and has enough to say to fill 98 minutes easily. Tetsuo&Youth is one of the best albums of all time IMHO

Not to get all "REAL hip-hop", cause I gently caress with meaningless poo poo heavy, but i.e. Migos+RaeSrem have enough trouble filling a song with substance, not to mention a long rear end album.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 21, 2018

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I'd start with the leaked Food & Liquor. For some reason I downloaded it whenever it came out after local radio station played the entire album on the air - so it's the only version I know and it's much better then the retail release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think for whatever reason I used to confuse Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi. Didn't they rise to prominence around the same time in the mid to late 00s? Or am I making that up and I've been confusing them for no real reason

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I think for whatever reason I used to confuse Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi. Didn't they rise to prominence around the same time in the mid to late 00s? Or am I making that up and I've been confusing them for no real reason

The latter. Lupe came up 06 w a black nerd rap thing going while Cudi shows up around 09/10 as the depressed black nerd. Also, Lupe is a top 10 MC and Cudi... is not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yes, if you want to know Lupe, listen to Fahrenheit 1/15 2 and the enemy of the state mixtape.

For Albums the Cool is probably the best place to start, food and liquor is great too, T&Y is good. I gently caress with Lasers as the lyricism is still good(seriously go back and focus on the poo poo he's saying) , but he was forced to go all over poppy as gently caress beats. Food and Liquor 2 was fine, a bit of a let down and probably Lupe at his most preachyness but better than Lasers

Drogas Light is filled with his takes on the current(as of 2016 or whenever it came out) hip hop sound to varying degrees of success,(Dopamine Lit, Made in USA. Jump, city of the year and Tranquillo are fire, everything else is ehhhh)

But to get Lupe in one song would probably be SLR one of my favorite rap songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDZyO-w9pQ

Or this loving tour de force from Tetsuo and Youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHrPyoEtSI

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Getting through the Lupe joint and I think Down might be my favourite so far, great vibe

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Has Lupe finally stopped taking huge gulps of air before every line

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Cool Buff Man posted:

Has Lupe finally stopped taking huge gulps of air before every line

huge gulps of air you say?
https://youtu.be/ffQS6x8aJJ8

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'll have to give it more time later but honestly Lupe's album kinda disappointing. I was afraid when I saw all the features but dude seriously has some of the worst hooks in history. All the generic r&b singing lady hooks make everything sound cheap and dated. Which sucks because the songs around those lameass hooks and intros are generally really good to great. Like I just start getting lasers flashbacks on some of the songs and that is not a good thing.

Again, it's not a bad album, and in many ways is really good. And maybe it'll grow on me a bit but initial impressions are that it's a step back from Tetsuo & Youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1043241111291154432

The Duke Nukem Forever of the rap world (or was that Detox?)

Dexo posted:

Yes, if you want to know Lupe, listen to Fahrenheit 1/15 2 and the enemy of the state mixtape.

For Albums the Cool is probably the best place to start, food and liquor is great too, T&Y is good. I gently caress with Lasers as the lyricism is still good(seriously go back and focus on the poo poo he's saying) , but he was forced to go all over poppy as gently caress beats. Food and Liquor 2 was fine, a bit of a let down and probably Lupe at his most preachyness but better than Lasers

Drogas Light is filled with his takes on the current(as of 2016 or whenever it came out) hip hop sound to varying degrees of success,(Dopamine Lit, Made in USA. Jump, city of the year and Tranquillo are fire, everything else is ehhhh)

But to get Lupe in one song would probably be SLR one of my favorite rap songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDZyO-w9pQ

Or this loving tour de force from Tetsuo and Youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHrPyoEtSI
Mural's real dope. I'm liking that more than SLR.

Gotta check out DROGAS WAVE later. I hope it has production like Mural's because I enjoyed that a lot.

e: I'm listening to the rest of Tetsuo and Youth and really enjoying it. Wish I had been more aware of this album 3 years ago when it came out!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 21, 2018