Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClYy0MxsU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this is easily a top 5 single so far this year, it is dope as hell

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

temple posted:

I ain't even mad at lil nas x. I hope he can do something with this sound. Its not even a bad idea, but he has to own it like currency owns weed rap or cam'ron does the ny sound.

He straight up said at one point that he's not allowed to take pictures without his cowboy hat anymore

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Fun Times! posted:

He straight up said at one point that he's not allowed to take pictures without his cowboy hat anymore

https://smarturl.it/lilnasxpanini

First single

This album is going to be loving great

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1141746171607576576

Is this whole album done by Take a Daytrip? Holy poo poo

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 20, 2019

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
XXL freshman class announced:

Blueface
DaBaby
Gunna
Megan Thee Stallion
Yk Osiris
Roddy Ricch
YBN Cordae
Rico Nasty
Lil Mosey
Comethazine
Tierra Whack

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yuzenn posted:

First single

This is gonna be another earworm just like Old Town Road, I can already tell

This is the 2nd recent major rap song to include something from Nirvana after that track on Kids See Ghosts, huh?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Robert Analog posted:

XXL freshman class announced:

Blueface
DaBaby
Gunna
Megan Thee Stallion
Yk Osiris
Roddy Ricch
YBN Cordae
Rico Nasty
Lil Mosey
Comethazine
Tierra Whack

I am stunned that Benny the Butcher didn't make it into the freshman class. Had one of the best albums at the end of last year with Tana Talk 3.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

not bad

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Is this the first time there’s been more than one woman on the list? That’s pretty dope, this year has been really awesome for female rappers and Rico Megan and Tierra are all dope as hell.

No Polo G though? I could see that being the biggest miss from this year unless Lil Nas X Defoe’s the odds and creates a solid career off a one hit wonder-looking track.

edit: never mind Valee was one of the options how can he not be on there?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 20, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Botnik could do a machine learning thing for XXL Freshmen names and none of them would be half as ridiculous as some of the names on that list

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Yuzenn posted:

First single

I am seriously rooting for this kid.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wait, does this Megan person not know what a stallion is?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Panini is ok, nothing special, production’s good

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought i was listening to Travis Scott for a bit

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Botnik could do a machine learning thing for XXL Freshmen names and none of them would be half as ridiculous as some of the names on that list

What's interesting to me is the whole idea of using "Thee" instead of "The" going from being a garage rock/pschydelia thing to being a hip hop thing (think that's the second rapper with that naming convention I've seen).

It's cool how hip hop is pulling influences from elsewhere to evolve.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've already listened to Panini like once an hour since it came out.

Sayyyyyyyyyy to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
What you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also, this is a way better tactic than making albums like an hour and a half long when they really don't need to be:
https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1141750255303573505

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Panini is ok, nothing special, production’s good

It's pretty drat catchy, dude has a great voice. And yah the production is dope.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PrWA4C8eLw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo hahahaha

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1141798727276826625
https://twitter.com/GordonRamsay/status/1141810810005491712

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thats literally a travis scott song he even did the doll thing???

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The hook sounds like the Nirvana song In Bloom

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

The hook sounds like the Nirvana song In Bloom

It’s supposed to. He called it an “interpolation.”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kurt Cobain is even credited as a composer!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I don't know what I expected out of Lil Nas x but I am digging the album so far. Production is very good as we thought it would be. Rodeo slaps, Panini slaps, some of the songs aren't even hip hop, straight up alt rock tracks.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

It's under 15 minutes of new music since it starts and ends with Old Town Road, and I didn't expect half of it to be alt rock, but I like it more than I would have guessed. The production is really good and has an original sound, but he seems to be shooting for catchy vocals over anything else and hardly stands out. Honestly I like him the most when he's doing his country drawl.

Nicki Minaj - MEGATRON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3a1sz2Bp_E

sleppy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 21, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like it but drat this short song poo poo is getting out of hand. I need to see the numbers on how this helps streams.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

RBX posted:

I like it but drat this short song poo poo is getting out of hand. I need to see the numbers on how this helps streams.
Its an ep. I don't hate it but I wanted more country. His talking sing is overused. Works better for country.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

poo poo, you're right. I agree with the sound but this straddles the line good enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Old Town Road and Panini are really the only tracks from the EP I love, but I appreciate that he's trying different styles because it's all over the place.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I could do without the rock songs on this thing. Project is all over the place. I like panini and rodeo.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bring U Down + Rodeo are cool songs too. those 2 + Panini and OTR make this EP good overall

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this lil nas tape sucks

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Talk about some good rap, Benny the Butcher dropped a 7 track album today that SLAYS

“Before A&Rs I was weighing hard, been doing it since nicki Minaj had a training bra”

DonnieBravo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 21, 2019

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

This is a fun album but this short EP poo poo has got to go.

Rodeo loving slaps tho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That panini song is good. Keen to hear the tape. Glad it didn't flop on its rear end

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuzenn posted:

this short EP poo poo has got to go.

I absolutely cannot disagree strongly enough. Even extremely talented people struggle to put together an hour of music that isn't 25% filler. Nothing wrong with leaving people wanting more. Everything wrong with a 90 minute monstrosity. When Dayton a came out I said something along the lines of 'I hope this becomes a trend' and haven't regretted that opinion for a second.

Speaking of Dayton, listened to it again yesterday and it is outstanding.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah 2 years ago people were complaining about Drake and Future putting out overly long albums to boost their Spotify plays and now that the pendulum has swung in the other direction people are saying that artists are making short albums for the exact same reason??

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

I absolutely cannot disagree strongly enough. Even extremely talented people struggle to put together an hour of music that isn't 25% filler. Nothing wrong with leaving people wanting more. Everything wrong with a 90 minute monstrosity. When Dayton a came out I said something along the lines of 'I hope this becomes a trend' and haven't regretted that opinion for a second.

Speaking of Dayton, listened to it again yesterday and it is outstanding.

Who said the album had to be 90 minutes? You don't think this album could be longer than...19 minutes?

Daytona is an amazing project but I easily would have been just as fine with another 15 minutes too.

In the era of streaming it doesn't matter as much but with artists coming out as infrequently as they do, it leaves a lot of artists at a disadvantage. Pusha can come out when he wants, he has a fanbase and following that's strong. If Lil Nas X takes a while to come out with another project he is going to cool down a LOT.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 21, 2019

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Panini is nice to listen to but nothing special or unique whatsoever. I haven't listened to the rest of the EP but I'm dissapointed. I was hoping he'd continue the country trap sound, this just sounds fairly generic (but well made and produced).

Also IMO there can be a balance between like 7x3 minute songs and 22x5 minute songs, I find it dissapointing when artists say they're releasing an album and it's less than 20 minutes of music (not necessarily saying this is the case with Nas X I'm not sure if he classified it as an album). Then again the Scorpion/Culture II type poo poo is even more of a piss off with the lack of quality control and ridiculous amount of filler. Old school rappers were capable of making 40+ min of music without a string of poo poo filler songs so I don't see why it's impossible now.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Album length matters less in an era where people don’t pay for copies of music. It’s annoying when someone’s like “new album out now!” and it’s 19 minutes long but that kind of move was a lot worse when you had to pay album prices to get it.