Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1279575273365594112?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cancel culture has gone too far. Now they’re trying to cancel “Culture.”

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOOrOOQqsE

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

rap game tipper gore

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
*Jay-z-ishly *
OK.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/KidCudi/status/1278909537437626368

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

t a s t e posted:

rap game tipper gore
you really take her saying that that way?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i doubt it because tipper gore is the rap game's tipper gore

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
also I'm all in on YE 2020

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Kanye trying to get any dem votes he can to help trump get reelected

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

no, if I was going to break character and talk seriously I'd say it was a self absorbed take that fuels stereotypes about black male expression but as a joke it works

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Kanye trying to get any dem votes he can to help trump get reelected

Trump announces that he is not running for a second term, Kanye republican candidate, Biden announces Clinton as VP choice

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Its dumb because she not listening to any men in hiphop. Why not praise the men who aren't sexist? If all male rappers are sexist, then how can you expect them to be anything else? There is a bigger problem than hiphop. Further, where do women rappers fall?

As I always do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnN3EFmNyIM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1279612267378728960

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
j/k 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kids Dont Vote Sometimes
Kids Dont Vote Sometimes
Kids Dont Vote

Senates

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Gucci Mane - Still Remember feat. Pooh Shiesty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpubTIE3mdY

So Icy Summer feels like basically every other recent Gucci release, but with 24 tracks there are a few keepers. Some newly signed artists and lots of Young Thug too.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

temple posted:

Why not praise the men who aren't sexist?
because nobody deserves praise for not being trash

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Kenshin posted:

While true, Temple's broader point still stands. Namely, the need to see things in their proper context: to push for the purging of all misogynistic content out of rap music is to effectively posit that rap music causes misogyny, as opposed to say, being a mere bit player in the misogyny that is necessary to the smooth functioning of capitalism.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 5, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Sexism is the norm not the exception

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

While true, Temple's broader point still stands. Namely, the need to see things in their proper context: to push for the purging of all misogynistic content out of rap music is to effectively posit that rap music causes misogyny, as opposed to say, being a mere bit player in the misogyny that is necessary to the smooth functioning of capitalism.

I feel like you're already implying some kind of intrinsic link there.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 6, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

I feel like you're already implying some kind of intrinsic link there.

Could you elaborate?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Could you elaborate?

It looks like a loaded assumption that no one is actually saying while being a thinking adult.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

OK, so can you articulate the desire behind 'abolishing' problematic content out of rap music?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

KVeezy3 posted:

OK, so can you articulate the desire behind 'abolishing' problematic content out of rap music?

lol

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Is this a serious question dude

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/NickEnaigbe/status/1279912275588112391

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:gas:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

Is this a serious question dude

Uhh yeah? If it's so obviously something I'm missing, feel free to talk down to me.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Uhh yeah? If it's so obviously something I'm missing, feel free to talk down to me.

Misogyny should be abolished as much as possible. You're being dense on purpose to find a reason to argue with her. To posit that someone shouldn't have a "desire to abolish" something, (a definite dogwhistle for "an agenda!") is loving absurd and not how art works at all. You can critique systematic oppression in media AS WELL as in the larger scheme of things, and to say "go over there with that" is childish and dishonest.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 6, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuJXMVzfdU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

Misogyny should be abolished as much as possible. You're being dense on purpose to find a reason to argue with her. To posit that someone shouldn't have a "desire to abolish" something, (a definite dogwhistle for "an agenda!") is loving absurd and not how art works at all. You can critique systematic oppression in media AS WELL as in the larger scheme of things, and to say "go over there with that" is childish and dishonest.

Please stop assuming I’m being dishonest or trying to trick people, as I think this will save you a lot of time (Though you can continue to call me a dense child if you like). I never said that there shouldn’t be a desire to abolish something in media, but that we should examine how that desire actually manifests itself.

Critiquing systematic oppression in media means directly engaging with it to ascertain why they take on particular modes of expressions, but what I see in Monae’s tweet isn't that, but a broad call for censorship. In that case, she’s not critiquing systematic oppression in media, but attempting to repress problematic content in cultural products of a society that is, a priori, prevalent in and foundationally dependent on misogyny.

It’s easy to say that misogyny should be destroyed in all forms, but what does that entail within the realm of rap music, concretely? If it’s censorship, how should it be implemented? If you disagree that Monae is calling for censorship, then what are you advocating, specifically?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

any given day in this thread i cant tell if some of you are way smarter than me or way dumber tbh

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

also fwiw i think janelle is saying abolish as in 'stop consuming it to the point that it disappears' rather than to make it illegal but im not her and also i agree with temple (i think) that its more productive to actually highlight rap she thinks is 'good' than to make some regressive statement that all rap is about bling and hos

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

If you disagree that Monae is calling for censorship, then what are you advocating, specifically?

As I said before, you're making the argument that rap music is inherently misogynistic and cannot be reformed, critiqued and examined. That is not censorship, and calling for artists to be more responsible with their platforms and messaging shouldn't be seen as an attack on the culture as a whole, but as a way to move forward.

KVeezy3 posted:

but attempting to repress problematic content in cultural products of a society that is, a priori, prevalent in and foundationally dependent on misogyny.
This is not what rap music is at its core, yet you're making that argument and working backwards. You should know better than to conflate capital gain and the message within the artform as exclusive means to an end.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 6, 2020

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

As I said before, you're making the argument that rap music is inherently misogynistic and cannot be reformed, critiqued and examined. That is not censorship, and calling for artists to be more responsible with their platforms and messaging shouldn't be seen as an attack on the culture as a whole, but as a way to move forward.

This is not what rap music is at its core, yet you're making that argument and working backwards. You should know better than to conflate capital gain and the message within the artform as exclusive means to an end.

I have not made any claims about rap music being inherently misogynistic, but the opposite, anti-essentalist one: that it's inescapably produced and consumed by a hitherto misogynist society. I've also not claimed that rap music is irredeemable.

If you take Monae's tweet to be some vague call for rappers to "Be better," then there's no real disagreement here other than the interpretation of that tweet.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

I have not made any claims about rap music being inherently misogynistic, but the opposite, anti-essentalist one: that it's inescapably produced and consumed by a hitherto misogynist society. I've also not claimed that rap music is irredeemable.

If you take Monae's tweet to be some vague call for rappers to "Be better," then there's no real disagreement here other than the interpretation of that tweet.

I tend to give left-leaning artists the benefit of the doubt in this mess of a world, because their understanding of how these systems overlap didn't start with them reading Marx or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tfw an SMG wannabe tries to post in a normal thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

I tend to give left-leaning artists the benefit of the doubt in this mess of a world, because their understanding of how these systems overlap didn't start with them reading Marx or whatever.

I'm not familiar with Monae's politics, but what threw me was her short term fix being drawn under gender essentialist lines.