Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Yuzenn posted:

Narduar finally gets snoop dog http://rapradar.com/2015/10/29/nardwuar-vs-snoop-dogg/ this dude is amazing with the special rare poo poo he tells and shows the rappers about their careers

hes done like 20 interviews with snoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

alansmithee posted:

Ridin Dirty isn't even the best rap album by a texas based rap group.

I'm gonna kick your rear end

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ol yeller posted:

I'm gonna kick your rear end

We I can't be stopped

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

http://rapradar.com/2015/11/02/new-video-big-grams-big-boi-phantogram-fell-in-the-sun/ - I had not heard of this Phantogram album but I might just pick it up, it seems like some Big Boi easy listening greatness...

Unless you really like the sound of this I'd be careful. I know on his previous album, I actually liked the Phantogram stuff way better than his rapping-he sounded totally out of place and just didn't fit in at all. But I've heard some people praise the new album so idk.

Also relistening to some stuff from earlier in the year, Earl's album is a lot better than I gave it credit for. Dude's rapping is probably around where he was with Earl, and the production is great throughout. It's also really short so doesn't have as much time to get repetitive/dull. Really solid release. I liked Tyler's album better in general, but it's nice to see them both still making great music after the hype died down.

Quelle Chris's album is still amazing too. Another real small release (which seems to be more of a trend), it's got a real dark humor to it. Similar to a less "coffeehouse" version of Open Mike Eagle's album from last year (which was, and still remains, amazing).

Anyone who hasn't checked out Summertime '06 should also do that. It got talked up a lot earlier so it's not like it's been ignored, but it's really remarkable. Even though I think TPAB is better, I can also see where people would rate this higher.

And new Busdriver on Friday. Both singles on it are nice, a bit more of the harder rapping style than what I remember from his last release (which I also thought was chill, even with his "singing" all over).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

so loving future posted:

monster and 56 nights were classic albums. i'm 32 and i'm not too old to know that.

Those are by far my favorite future releases in fact im listening to 56 nights on my commute home right now. But classic albums? they arent even albums theyre mixtapes. 56 nights is like 8 songs. They bang and are hosted by the coolest dj on the motherfuckin planet but to call those "classics" :cmon:

We are approaching some serious dick riding territory here with some of these stanments (statements made about an artist by one of their stans)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Those are by far my favorite future releases in fact im listening to 56 nights on my commute home right now. But classic albums? they arent even albums theyre mixtapes. 56 nights is like 8 songs. They bang and are hosted by the coolest dj on the motherfuckin planet but to call those "classics" :cmon:

We are approaching some serious dick riding territory here with some of these stanments (statements made about an artist by one of their stans)

Dude just stop

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

He's right tho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Are you that guy who admitted to crying to future lyrics or something? You sure are mad that I am making legit critiques about an artist whom i like

Anyway, in case you havent noticed im not responding to anything youve said to me and wont be again after this post so take your own advice tia :downs:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzq5cL-mi08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3XqrHuWoc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirBBf4yY9M
Best use of that beat though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T42cHr56CPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7EP-EBgGI

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

thathonkey posted:

Are you that guy who admitted to crying to future lyrics or something?

no that's me also shut the gently caress up

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

thathonkey posted:

Are you that guy who admitted to crying to future lyrics or something? You sure are mad that I am making legit critiques about an artist whom i like

Anyway, in case you havent noticed im not responding to anything youve said to me and wont be again after this post so take your own advice tia :downs:

I was on your side until you did that stupid "I'm not responding after this post" thing that people do.

Did you walk away and FWAP your trench coat after posting?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Future rules Thugga rules Drake rules if you don't like fun music it's your loss I guess :shrug:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK-Wdwp_ws4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T08Pfm2sB4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOF01tBLDLA

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

monkeu posted:

Future rules Thugga rules Drake rules if you don't like fun music it's your loss I guess :shrug:

rap music is objectively good

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Drake is trash

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cole posted:

I was on your side until you did that stupid "I'm not responding after this post" thing that people do.

Did you walk away and FWAP your trench coat after posting?

Yeah it sounds lame i am with ya but that guy keeps quoting me following me from page to page telling me to stfu without offering anything even approaching a rebuttal and obviously not reading any of my posts so i just wanted to let them know they can stop. dunno who this person is or what they have against me but:

monkeu posted:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

Drake is trash

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

no that's me also shut the gently caress up

Hahah were you being serious when you said that? I think you were then backpedaled but it made my night and im cracking up again just thinkin about it.

Turn on the lights, im lookin for her... *sobs into keyboard* go on gently caress that nigga get it over with *full on crying*

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Weezy jumping in at the end like "look I'm sorry about this rear end in a top hat but $€£¥"

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Tremendous Taste posted:

Drake is trash

Drake is what drake is. He doesn't really try to be something he isn't. He's soft, he knows it, and chicks eat that poo poo up.

Back to Back was one of the weakest diss tracks I've ever heard. It was just effective* because Drake wasn't trying to be hard, he was just being Drake. And he's really good at it.

He's that guy that I don't want to like but I would be lying if I said he wasn't on a few playlists.

*It also helped that meek couldn't tell his rear end from his elbow while that whole thing was going on.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Turn on the lights always makes me cry because it reminds me of my ex #noshame

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hating drake is corny but so is liking drake............... i guess the answer is somewhere in the middle

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

thathonkey posted:

Hahah were you being serious when you said that? I think you were then backpedaled but it made my night and im cracking up again just thinkin about it.

Turn on the lights, im lookin for her... *sobs into keyboard* go on gently caress that nigga get it over with *full on crying*

no i didn't backpedal, also i got into future while dealing with an 18 month relationship breakup so i just associate the music with a feeling and time period also a lot of the beats are pretty down and oh jesus christ why am i even indulging you

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Cole posted:

Drake is what drake is. He doesn't really try to be something he isn't. He's soft, he knows it, and chicks eat that poo poo up.

Back to Back was one of the weakest diss tracks I've ever heard. It was just effective* because Drake wasn't trying to be hard, he was just being Drake. And he's really good at it.

He's that guy that I don't want to like but I would be lying if I said he wasn't on a few playlists.

*It also helped that meek couldn't tell his rear end from his elbow while that whole thing was going on.

yea exactly hes at a level of ubiquity where any opinion one way or the other needs to be taken with a grain of salt. idk how drake haters go out to the club (drake haters: do you go to out to the club???) but like if youre getting danced on and a drake song comes on do you just stand there looking disgruntled??

anyway related and this might be a long shot but are there any rap nights in nyc where the djs actually play new music and not just stuff for people to rap along too?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Radio Spiricom posted:

anyway related and this might be a long shot but are there any rap nights in nyc where the djs actually play new music and not just stuff for people to rap along too?

some bar in BK had a Drake night last week

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ya i hung out at it for a bit. several of my friends put it on.

and in philly dirty south joe did an all drake party a few times. its cool i dont begrudge ppl for it but a lot of the reason i go out is to be exposed to and dance to stuff i havent heard before but few if any rap djs seem concerned with that these days

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Ridin Dirty isn't even the best rap album by a texas based rap group.

its writings on the wall you idiots

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

no i didn't backpedal, also i got into future while dealing with an 18 month relationship breakup so i just associate the music with a feeling and time period also a lot of the beats are pretty down and oh jesus christ why am i even indulging you

Jumpman could cause someone to kill themselves if it was played at the wrong moment lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

No your posts are loving annoying to read dude.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

it's ok buddy sorry i was a dick to you for no reason; i was riled up over the argument i was having. there's no need to excuse embarrassing behavior from a bad break up. that type of poo poo is rough on everybody, especially when it's that long and presumably serious. future needed at least 56 bars to get over ciara. there's lots of music i love that i can't listen to any more due to the memories it evokes from a 10 year relationship that's almost as old. 10 years of good rear end music. RUINED :argh: !!!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

asap-salafi posted:

Jumpman could cause someone to kill themselves if it was played at the wrong moment lol

lol this owns

thathonkey posted:

it's ok buddy sorry i was a dick to you for no reason; i was riled up over the argument i was having. there's no need to excuse embarrassing behavior that occurred during a bad break up. that type of poo poo is rough on everybody, especially when it's that long and presumably serious. there's lots of music i love that i can't listen to any more due to the memories it evokes from a 10 year relationship. 10 years of good rear end music. RUINED :argh: !!!

it's okay, that bitch was from australian anyway

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I can't listen to writing on the wall anymore because my hoodrat ex played that poo poo in my car everyday and it didn't work out

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Radio Spiricom posted:

and in philly dirty south joe did an all drake party a few times. its cool i dont begrudge ppl for it but a lot of the reason i go out is to be exposed to and dance to stuff i havent heard before but few if any rap djs seem concerned with that these days

A couple days after the Gibbs show I went to a few weeks ago there was a Metro Boomin night with actual Metro Boomin there but I had prior engagements :(

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Profondo Rosso posted:

He's right tho

Illmatic can't be a classic, it's like 9 songs and 25 minutes and just an ep1!1!!!!11!11!1!

I think it's early to call 56 nights classic just because I think that generally also has some sort of non-musical considerations and/or is just so amazingly "superior" to other things it's obvious (which generally is dictated by critics, which would be non-musical consideration but w/e) but quality wise, I think it's not unfair to call it classic, especially since that style of music is extremely prominent in rap now. Like I think get rich or die trying is a fairly average album personally, but I can still totally admit it's a classic album. I'd put 56 nights above a lot of "classic" albums quality-wise.

Radio Spiricom posted:

yea exactly hes at a level of ubiquity where any opinion one way or the other needs to be taken with a grain of salt. idk how drake haters go out to the club (drake haters: do you go to out to the club???) but like if youre getting danced on and a drake song comes on do you just stand there looking disgruntled??

This makes absolutely zero sense. Firstly if it's a club all anyone's likely paying attention to music-wise at most is the beat so it's whatever. And it's not like people have to like every song that comes on. Also if I'm getting danced on i'm probably doing more than looking disgruntled regardless of the music-I know dudes here had no problem getting slapped or peed on or whatever but I'd hope even the charmin-softies around here would do more than look disgruntled when folks dancing on them or whatever. Like you can rationalize getting peed on as bad aim, and you can do the whole "turn the other cheek" thing if people slap you, but how do you even justify having folks literally stepping on you? And how do you just casually get in that situation (I guess if maybe you fall down or something? idk).

Radio Spiricom posted:

Unless they're a really known dude you're gonna get more mileage playing stuff people know and that's "popular" than trying to break new songs or play stuff you're interested in.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

This makes absolutely zero sense. Firstly if it's a club all anyone's likely paying attention to music-wise at most is the beat so it's whatever. And it's not like people have to like every song that comes on. Also if I'm getting danced on i'm probably doing more than looking disgruntled regardless of the music-I know dudes here had no problem getting slapped or peed on or whatever but I'd hope even the charmin-softies around here would do more than look disgruntled when folks dancing on them or whatever. Like you can rationalize getting peed on as bad aim, and you can do the whole "turn the other cheek" thing if people slap you, but how do you even justify having folks literally stepping on you? And how do you just casually get in that situation (I guess if maybe you fall down or something? idk).

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

what loving planet am i on

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Planet "I'm an angry dude who's gotta prove how masculine I am because I'm extremely insecure" it seems :laugh:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Gotta make sure next time I'm at the club I don't accidentally fall so people don't literally dance on top of my body when the DJ plays Hotling Bling

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Reading the ridiculous posts of some dudes in here makes me really happy that as an Australian I can listen to hip hop without worrying about how each song relates to race relations, how "hard" of a dude listening to each artist will make me and what each artists relationship is with J Prince or whatever.

It means I can just appreciate the music for the music. It makes me true hip hop fan I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
you're australian so you're incapable of being a true hip hop fan, sorry bro