Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually liked If You're Reading This It's Too Late but no one's going to argue that Drake is good here, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I actually liked If You're Reading This It's Too Late but no one's going to argue that Drake is good here, probably.

Lol think again

Lmao

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 22, 2018

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-3s2wwC8c

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It only took me 3 years, but I think I'm finally ready to admit that my longstanding opinion that To Pimp A Butterfly is trash was too harsh.

It definitely ain't trash. I don't think it's as good as good kid, m.A.A.d city or drat. either, but it's absolutely better than I initially gave it credit for.

I don't know if seeing Black Panther recontextualized this for me or what, but I really appreciate its radical embracement of blackness in America in a way I didn't before for whatever reason.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It only took me 3 years, but I think I'm finally ready to admit that my longstanding opinion that To Pimp A Butterfly is trash was too harsh.

It definitely ain't trash. I don't think it's as good as good kid, m.A.A.d city or drat. either, but it's absolutely better than I initially gave it credit for.

I don't know if seeing Black Panther recontextualized this for me or what, but I really appreciate its radical embracement of blackness in America in a way I didn't before for whatever reason.

see but drat. is much worse than tpab

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

see but drat. is much worse than tpab
I still think TPAB has too much filler and goes on for too long. It could've had a few tracks axed (like the interludes) and would work much better. drat has a better flow/works better as as cohesive album for me no question.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I still think TPAB has too much filler and goes on for too long. It could've had a few tracks axed (like the interludes) and would work much better. drat has a better flow/works better as as cohesive album for me no question.

maybe it is a little too long but i think the better tracks on tpab are much better than the better tracks on drat., plus there's a lot less of the stupid poppy pandering poo poo in tpab. it seems like it has a purpose

i agree that GKMC is better than either album though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Drake's parts on that Look Alive song aren't especially good so I don't get why people keep posting it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

maybe it is a little too long but i think the better tracks on tpab are much better than the better tracks on drat., plus there's a lot less of the stupid poppy pandering poo poo in tpab. it seems like it has a purpose

i agree that GKMC is better than either album though

none of the individual tracks made my top 20, but drat was my favorite album last year. it is cohesive in a way that few albums are and as an album, it's amazing. it really is greater than the sum of it's parts.

poppy pandering poo poo? humble? that and dna were the only songs i ever heard on the radio.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

none of the individual tracks made my top 20, but drat was my favorite album last year. it is cohesive in a way that few albums are and as an album, it's amazing. it really is greater than the sum of it's parts.

poppy pandering poo poo? humble? that and dna were the only songs i ever heard on the radio.

love is played at least once a day by the nearest city's radio station, even today it's pretty common

I don't hate the songs themselves really but it makes the album less impactful i guess. seems like something that could just be a single on it's own

edit: i'm not saying i hate any of the albums though, to me it's the difference between a 8.5/9.5/10

edit2: also how are you saying drat is that cohesive. have you listened to GKMC all at once? it's like a cinematic experience. It tells a very cohesive story

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 22, 2018

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Escobarbarian posted:

Drake's parts on that Look Alive song aren't especially good so I don't get why people keep posting it

You’re dumb and wrong

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

monkeu posted:

You’re dumb and wrong

Is this djakademiks in disguise? Your drake standom is showing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

edit2: also how are you saying drat is that cohesive. have you listened to GKMC all at once? it's like a cinematic experience. It tells a very cohesive story

gkmc is also extremely cohesive (and very, very good) but the story it wants to tell is less ambitious than drat by far. additionally, drat needs zero skits except for the spoken word intro (which is pretty much the only 'skit' i have never skipped) and achieves total coherence by thematic content of the careful track arrangement alone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drake WAS good. IYRTITL and Take Care are good and you'd have to be some sort of contrarian to say otherwise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Marching Powder posted:

gkmc is also extremely cohesive (and very, very good) but the story it wants to tell is less ambitious than drat by far. additionally, drat needs zero skits except for the spoken word intro (which is pretty much the only 'skit' i have never skipped) and achieves total coherence by thematic content of the careful track arrangement alone.
drat is so cohesive that the deluxe edition (which reverses the tracklist) completely loving ruins the storytelling of it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah that's why people loved it. You got it. It's more than the sum of its parts.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Fun reminder that FUTURE dropped a year and 5 days ago, which means HNDRXX is 2 days away from its anniversary. And a few more days after that when some of us, such as myself, believed he might drop a 3rd album on Ellen lol

Also, The Booty Tape was a slept on release. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s fun, catchy, and sounds great!

https://youtu.be/wkVgapj25W8

Thanks, Ugly God!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can’t stop listening to jpegmafia

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drake owns. Has one weak year and ppl online think he’s trash lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Drake had 1 good year

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am working through Jay Dilla's discography and influences/people he has influenced and wanted to know if Common's album "Finding Forever" is worth grabbing. Reading wiki, the whole thing is a dedication to Dilla with Kanye chopping up the beats using Dilla's techniques. It sounds like it would be great to grab but sometimes these things fall flat.

Any other Dilla recommendations (or tributes to him) would be much appreciated!

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

MrSargent posted:

I am working through Jay Dilla's discography and influences/people he has influenced and wanted to know if Common's album "Finding Forever" is worth grabbing. Reading wiki, the whole thing is a dedication to Dilla with Kanye chopping up the beats using Dilla's techniques. It sounds like it would be great to grab but sometimes these things fall flat.

Any other Dilla recommendations (or tributes to him) would be much appreciated!

You can find mostly anything that isn't obscure by typing "full album" at the end on YouTube

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NISWzHXqMTc

temple
Jul 29, 2006

common is rap asmr

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

temple posted:

common is rap asmr

No that's Ka

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReY4yVkoDc4

now that's a fuckin' performance

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ924VGx5n0
back from the dead

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if someone says one single bad word about ka im going to throw an internet tantrum

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Can anyone give me good albums to start with for A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots? So much music, so little time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
on loving point

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Can anyone give me good albums to start with for A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots? So much music, so little time.

Beats, Rhymes, and Life
The Love Movement

Probably my two favorite old A Tribe Called Quest albums.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

MrSargent posted:

midnight mauraders and anything else. the love movement isn't that great.
also check qtip's solo records amplified and the renaissance. I think amplified defined the early 2000s club rap sound.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Beats, Rhymes, and Life
The Love Movement

Probably my two favorite old A Tribe Called Quest albums.
if I had to name 2 wack tribe albums, it would be them.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

good point actually when drake does a complete 180 from his actual personality of being rich and cry-singing over high school girlfriends and copies the flow quentin miller wrote for him hes incredible

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

good point actually when drake does a complete 180 from his actual personality of being rich and cry-singing over high school girlfriends and copies the flow quentin miller wrote for him hes incredible

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrSargent posted:

The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders are the obvious Tribe choices.

The Roots have had a number of different sounds that are all worth exploring. I would say Things Fall Apart for the classic, jazzy sounding Roots, Game Theory for their darker phase and undun for their modern phase that flirts with indie rock at times.

Or listen to Phrenology and get a little bit of everything. They have very little material that's less than excellent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrSargent posted:

Can anyone give me good albums to start with for A Tribe Called Quest.

Low End Theory for the old classic

We Got it from Here thank you for your service (or whatever it's called) for the new classic.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

temple posted:

midnight mauraders and anything else. the love movement isn't that great.
also check qtip's solo records amplified and the renaissance. I think amplified defined the early 2000s club rap sound.

if I had to name 2 wack tribe albums, it would be them.

I like wack music I guess, but all Tribe albums are good.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dont forget to check out illedelph halflife for rappity rap roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lpCeYaLXn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzacv8dtb4

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2018

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I can’t stop listening to jpegmafia

hop out the pussy i’m 21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

lol I like drake but this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yesssss. i thought 3001 was extremely underrated.

it's good.