Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm looking for recommendations. Here's some of what I really like:

90s Wu-Tang / Liquid Swords / Gravediggaz anything RZA
Kool Keith
Del/Deltron
Kids See Ghosts / Kanye
Run the Jewels
Odd Future / Earl / Tyler
Three 6 Mafia's early stuff
Shahmen
Tech N9ne

Not saying those all have a lot in common, just what I like. I especially love spooky / arty / low-fi beats (ala the RZA). Don't necessarily need them paired with horrorcore rhymes, but that's where you find a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

baram. posted:

bloody bones & player 1 - crime rate sky high

This is cool and I liked it.

quote:

anything griselda

^But this? I'm not sure how I hadn't heard of any of these guys before but this is the stuff right here. Thanks!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

alansmithee posted:

For stuff similar to early Three 6, check out Little Ugly Mane Mr. Thug isolation and Spaceghostpurp's Blackland 666. Also there's a ton of dudes making that memphis devil music stuff, this blog has a lot of it: http://memphisraptapes.blogspot.com/?m=1. For newer stuff, Jpegmafia would probably fit in with a lot of that, also MIKE, MAVI, billy woods, Slauson Malone, Ka, and Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire.

Also not sure how much you've looked into offshoots of a lot of that stuff, especially the older stuff. Like Kool Keith has a ton of projects, as well as his work with Ultramagnetic MCs. Or all the second tier Wu-Tang stuff (fwiw I actually really liked the Sunz of Man, Cappadonna, Killah Priest, and the second Killaarmy albums). Del brings in the whole Heiro collective of course. And I don't see him mentioned, but you may want to check MF Doom if you haven't yet, dude's also very similar to a lot of that stuff.

That should be a decent start. Really a lot of what you named is some of my favorite rap stuff so it's obvious you have good taste.

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. You gave me a lot to check out. Yeah I didn't want to list EVERYTHING but I like Heiroglyphics, Kool Keith I started from a list on RYM and worked backwards, love almost all of his recommendations. Like MF Doom. Haven't heard a lot of second-tier Wu stuff other than the Ghost Dog and Iron Fist soundtracks, but I'm open to recommendations there. First Chance album is good, and I still can't help but love "No Problem". For new stuff I really like Little Simz.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 23, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

These guys have a lot of personality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEeb1hr_m0g

e; bonus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YrB5vR060
I've seen a bunch of chicago rappers wearing that city morgue vlone shirt, I wonder if they're actually fans

I'd never heard of City Morgue before this post and this stuff smokes, so thank you for mentioning it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Would also explain the extremely topical references to 'The Prestige'

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

quote:

Allegedly the Democrats said they would discuss the Contract With Black America after Election Day.

Democrats gonna Democrat. "We might talk about your needs AFTER you vote for who we tell you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Donda esta aquí.