Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

goodog posted:

Bun B just confirmed that Bushwick Bill has passed away, RIP.

i knew he was bad. this still sucks. rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://youtu.be/78-m723dtjU

Pierre is so good. Him and Carti are a loving force. Just infecting my brain, I’m not strong enough to resist.

good poo poo.

extremely good poo poo. i listened to brainiac on youtube the other day and all the songs on exquire's own channel have about 5k plays. that is genuinely depressing in contrast to his talent. dude is the anti-mainstream.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

power botton posted:

After danny brown posted about sada baby I've had Bartier Bounty going near constantly. Its very good.

yooooooo what the gently caress i'm three tracks in and this is exactly my poo poo. everyone should throw on the first track and see if you gently caress with it

e: here i'll help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_dLjc0Z8ac

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 11, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

well, i'm ready to call my album of the year even with bandana and a new danny on the horizon i haven't hosed with an album like this since beast mode

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sleppy posted:

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1139947042015289349

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1139235390416707584

From Nicki Minaj twitter stan to releasing a competing album. Honestly more excited to hear what he sounds like outside Old Town Road.

i hope it's a great album. at least the production will be great as the hype around this kid has been so huge everyone will want to hop on it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Has he released any other singles from it? Seems to just be riding the wave tbh.

not that i've heard, which isn't generally a really good sign, but i'm convinced it can't be absolute dog poo poo because there will be an awful lot of push behind the kid and he's got to be hungry to put in work. cautiously optimistic.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

future just isn't hungry anymore. he's got one more good album - and that's when he's been fallen off for a while and comes back. it'll sell like poo poo and no one will care but people like me who used to like future will appreciate it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jonathan Fisk posted:

benz friends

forgot all about that track. 3000 is a god drat genius.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that looks great.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

Today in Extremely Regional Raps: that PNW native sound you didn't know you were missing but totally were missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7on7uixEjw

(idk if anybody else will dig this but it's been my jam for going on two months now and if I can't get it out of my head maybe somebody else will also like it)

reminds me a little bit of dopplegangaz style sound. i'm a big fan of the dopplegangaz. really enjoyed this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The cave still remains the greatest rap series (until the launch of Danny's house)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

That panini song is good. Keen to hear the tape. Glad it didn't flop on its rear end

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

this short EP poo poo has got to go.

I absolutely cannot disagree strongly enough. Even extremely talented people struggle to put together an hour of music that isn't 25% filler. Nothing wrong with leaving people wanting more. Everything wrong with a 90 minute monstrosity. When Dayton a came out I said something along the lines of 'I hope this becomes a trend' and haven't regretted that opinion for a second.

Speaking of Dayton, listened to it again yesterday and it is outstanding.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ornithology posted:

Old school rappers were capable of making 40+ min of music without a string of poo poo filler songs so I don't see why it's impossible now.

No, they couldn't. By and large. Some could, about the same ratio as today I'd wager.

temple posted:

Cardi B Indicted on 14 Counts

Good, but what for?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

They found Bandz body, he got beaten to death with a baseball bat, then they took his body out to the sticks and set it on fire, RIP
https://www.complex.com/music/2019/06/suspects-arrested-in-rapper-ebe-bandz-murder-case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPPPg5q7T18

I already said rip when he went missing but that's a hell of a way to go. They don't play round there. Rip.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

These are the guys they've arrested, the one on the left was the murderer, the other helped dispose of his body, they knew each other apparently but haven't released a motive

From dude's instagram, a waste all around

.... well i feel racist.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah it does

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gucci's post-jail features are better than ever i just don't care for his post-jail projects very much

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's pretty god drat boring. loved that song he did with 21 savage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bandana is a fantastic album for Gibbs at this point in his career.

Disappointed there's no shitsville or thuggin but it's a better album than pinata all told.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Angryhead posted:

Not a fan of the room-y/echo-y mixing but besides that Bandana is pure dope.

also i'd like to add that it's an aesthetic choice that i happen to really like here. to me, the aesthetic of bandana sounds like an album that would be playing out of a tinny mono radio on a stinking hot day on the porch of a shack in the arizona desert. the mixing absolutely compliments this vibe.

another album where this was used to great effect (that people here also disliked) was on kids see ghosts. that entire album sounds like it should be coming out of a spooky victorian era gramophone - and it's mixed that way.

it's completely valid to claim that mixing it to sound poo poo is a bad aesthetic choice, but to my ears it's a good choice.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MrSargent posted:

All streaming sucks, some just suck more than others. I can't stress enough that if you want to support artists, buy the album even if it's just digital. That is worth 100 times more to an artist than thousands of streams. Especially for newer artists or less mainstream artists, you can usually "pay what you want" for digital versions of their songs on Bandcamp. Even if you paid 1 cent a song it would still be better than streaming.

I'm not an unbelievably huge fan, but when I saw exquires album from a few years ago had ~5k views on his official YouTube channel I went straight to get some cash to the dude directly. Didn't he release an album this year? I remember a single at least that was good. Anyway, yeah, give what you can to artists you enjoy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i literally cannot stop listening to sada baby. i really liked bandana but i listened to it once and then threw bartier bounty back on. it's 20 tracks of hype beats, impeccable and varied flow, and fun as gently caress word play that is often downright hilarious. it didnt' hit me right away but some guy i'd never heard of from detroit dropped a 20 track tape with minimal features and he carries it the entire way. crazy. i cannot recommend it highly enough.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

i'm listening to this for the first time and yeah you're right this is fuckin fresh

i always get behind in this topic, then come back and find dope poo poo and say "gently caress why was i sleeping on this topic" so thanks

genuinely happy to pass along the love. don't miss the video clip for bloxk party either. sada seems like a really loving fun and funny dude and i lost it when he bust out the robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJvZb9mMiM

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this is a kind of monumental achievement. good for him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

He's hiding a child?

heh

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ornithology posted:

I was hoping for some insight into why the beats are good or impressive particularly on Palmolive. I admit the tone was wrong and came off argumentative.

And yes Reddit is pretty toxic and I guess I'm bringing that energy here, my bad.

art is entirely subjective man so no one can say anything more substantial than 'sounds good to me' without disappearing entirely up their own rear end on a mission to be as wrong as he thinks the person he's arguing with his being.

madlib's collab with mf doom is considered a genuine classic and if you check his last collab with gibbs and don't like shitsville or thuggin we can never be friends. he's got chops and respect from all over the music world as a producer and people tend to like his style. it's not really any more complex than that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ornithology posted:

Fair enough I'll stick to positive posts and not critiques, you're right the discussions go nowhere.

huh. well, you can do that if you want. personally, i just post whatever i think about music good or bad and read whatever people think about the same music good or bad and just don't try and tell them that their opinion is wrong or demand someone attempt to change my mind.

i did laugh that your post before this one asked people to provide insight into why the beat might be considered good and apologised for negative energy yet you immediately cut off the part of my post, that you quoted, providing the requested insight and replied in a tone that sounds as close to sulking as words on a screen can get. just something you might want to mull over. hope you stick around though. more hot takes the better.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

cool man.

anyway, do you know what music i loving hate? as in loathe? there's only one album that ticks that box for me, and that was the kanye / nas collab last (?) year. i hate that piece of poo poo so loving much and it's not just because nas is technically very bad on it, because he is, but because i've got that thing where i can't stand second hand embarrassment. that album was loving embarrassing. cops shot the kid was the only fleck of gold in the pile of poo poo, but nas ruined it so completely by being on it that anyone else jumping on it would just force me to relive these feelings i'm describing now - regardless of how much justice they do it. that the same man made illmatic absolutely baffles me. it's like when you learn about the probability of you existing for the first time and that nothing you do matters and you're able to fully comprehend what that means, or when bart simpson considered a tree falling in the woods while putting. nasir is the worst album ever made, and i loving hate it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was really bad. That whole one album a week thing gave us three absolute turds and then lightning in a bottle with Kids See Ghosts.

kids see ghosts was eclipsed only by daytona that year in my estimation.

nasir though. holy poo poo. i say it's the worst album ever made because a group of really, really serious and talented people genuinely thought it was good. if somebody released an entire album of different making GBS threads sounds, i still wouldn't rate it as low as nasir because you couldn't convince me that anyone thought it was actually good and expected it to be taken seriously. this is like if scorcese and dicaprio teamed up and made the movie equivalent of the making GBS threads album and gave it a wide release. gently caress that album, and gently caress nas. i just realised i haven't listened to illmatic since nasir came out and thinking about it now i genuinely don't want to. gently caress nas.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if you slept on edgewood, you the worst type of sucka. trouble is the business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbg9ZEjpyE

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tjones posted:

I miss Mannie Fresh summers.

with fascism on the rise, kids in camps, trump in the whitehouse etc i like to occasionally kick back with some ignorance over an rear end shakin beat. and some titties.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gibbs freestyling. drops kawhi fun guy meme because he can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6FPbu1Shfs

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/19weaG5eC104XuOsYP6IoB

I had this saved from ages ago. I dunno if one person made it or if it's a collab but it's good

i was about to say 'i don't remember rubber stamping this' but track 2 is the blanguage so i must have done

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Christ I didn't even know Denzel OR Tyler dropped new albums

I'm never getting 500 posts behind in this topic ever again

that denzel tape is so loving good

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

IGOR is AOTY.

so far i got bartier bounty, zuu, malibu ken and bandana all ahead of it, but i haven't exactly given it much time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMigDHmDnGE

This exquire song has been out for 3 days and has 155 views :(

lol. for fucks sake.

you can buy an album of his for like 7 bucks or his entire discography for 35 bucks on this myspace era looking bandcamp page. exquire gets 85%. if you've ever enjoyed his music and are in a place where you can throw him something please do because this is loving dumb lol

https://exqomaniarules.bandcamp.com/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'ma send him that post in an email and ask to be his manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holy poo poo this tiny message board might be like a tenth of exquire's active fan base.