Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

First thing I saw when I woke up. RIP to one of the greatest. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJnGeJ_kHpI

there was a period around 94 or 95 when my brother first got MM that this song was played nonstop when he got home from school until he fell asleep

RIP Phife :(

Definitely in my top 3 Tribe songs.

Gonna buy beer tonight after work just so I can pour one out for Phife, drat. I was really hoping to try to catch him perform; I've seen Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad separately, I was so close to bagging all three. :smith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Saw Freddie Gibbs last night, he always puts on such a dope show, goddamn. His openers though... were, uh... loving awful. And they got to play for almost an hour and a half each, loving whyyyyyyyy

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Here's a question for you, rap topic: can you recommend me any more historical books about hip-hop/rap? I just finished Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation by Jeff Chang, and I want to devour more musical history! His book kind of ended abruptly and left me wanting in certain areas, so I'm hoping to get some recs here.

A quick Amazon search led me to a couple books that look decent enough: The History of Gangster Rap: From Schoolly D to Kendrick Lamar, the Rise of a Great American Art Form, Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America, The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop--and Why It Matters, The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop. Any thoughts on these?

Oh, also:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I wanna chime in and say thank you to everyone posting their "best of" lists, I fell off the wagon hardcore this year regarding new hiphop, so this is fuckin awesome. I downloaded like 3GB of new stuff to listen to :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm late to the party but Brockhampton's iridescence is fuckin :krad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

oh gently caress

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.45933/...rHwxw5lmdbGTFow

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Ho-lee poo poo yes! This is going to make my entire 2019.

Edit: Oh that article is from last year and I thought this was an official announcement. Whoops, got my hopes up.

oh gently caress me i totally thought it was from 2019 too

:smith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Posting from the past to say goddrat TA13OO is so fuckin fire

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

screaden posted:

New Anderson Paak is real good, leaning more in to the old school soul sound, track with Smokey is the stand out so far

gently caress me I didn't even realize he has a new album out!

Oxnard was incredibly disappointing, imo, hopefully this is better. I see the first reach has Andre 3000 so I'm hopeful already.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I think Oxnard being disappointing had a lot to do with the hype and expectations being ridiculously high. It's not as good as Malibu, but I still bump a few of the tracks pretty regularly. Checking out the new album now, will post impressions after first lesson.

I actually had no idea Paak had put out a new album when I stumbled upon Oxnard, so that's not the case for me, haha. I've listened to it three separate times and I can't remember a single track from it :shrug:

Def interested to hear your thoughts on the new album though, I downloaded it with the intention of listening to it today during work, and then I was running around so much I didn't have the chance.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

succ posted:

rap video under a giant Gundam is very 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wve11ObUUrE

Crumbletron posted:

Oh hey I've been there, that's pretty cool. We were checking out some car museum in the same area.

i might be visiting that exact spot when i got to Japan next month!

and i forgot who i was talking to about earlier about Anderson .Paak, but his new album is pretty drat dope. one listen through and it's already left more of an impression than Oxnard, ha

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Any of y'all listen to Ventura yet? Granted, this is only my first listen of it, but it feels like Oxnard in that it's fine I guess but I'm probably not going to remember any of this a few days from now. It's got some cool parts (mostly in the second half) and the production is nice but not enough stands out to really make it a great album.

In Fantano's review he said this whole album is Oxnard leftovers or something like that, and I could totally see that.

oh I disagree, it's wayyyyy better than Oxnard. I mean, there are some actual funky bass lines in Ventura

some of it is more poppy, I think the first half is? but it's a solid album

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lmao at the CGI smoke that pops up like 3 times

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I straight up hate lil dicky without any shame or reservation

Yeah I never got the hype

Like his song about the one night stand or whatever the gently caress was like, worth a single chuckle but it was also just embarrassing so

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

godDAMN

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Q-Tip produced it? :choco:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sleppy posted:

Open Mike Eagle & Phonte - “Woke as Me”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOOrOOQqsE

The songs coming out of The New Negroes are good.

I think they both got posted before but just in case, Danny Brown's feature, and Doom's.

doing god's work

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

oh geez when dude comes in singing after lil wayne :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i just started bumping this and godDAMN. Pusha T, Yasiin Bey, Black Thought, Killer Mike, Anderson .Paak, like, jesus christ this album is fuckin stacked

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i literally cannot stop listening to sada baby. i really liked bandana but i listened to it once and then threw bartier bounty back on. it's 20 tracks of hype beats, impeccable and varied flow, and fun as gently caress word play that is often downright hilarious. it didnt' hit me right away but some guy i'd never heard of from detroit dropped a 20 track tape with minimal features and he carries it the entire way. crazy. i cannot recommend it highly enough.

i'm listening to this for the first time and yeah you're right this is fuckin fresh

i always get behind in this topic, then come back and find dope poo poo and say "gently caress why was i sleeping on this topic" so thanks

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

also it's fuckin Reddit, don't listen to anyone from that site :cmon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Christ I didn't even know Denzel OR Tyler dropped new albums

I'm never getting 500 posts behind in this topic ever again

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

that denzel tape is so loving good

I bumped TA13OO like nonstop for a week so I don't even doubt you

Although the benefit to sleeping on new albums is I now have like six goon approved albums to blast

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Coffee shop I'm in is just blasting right through ZUU and I fuckin love it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Grime is the only good music to come out of the UK in the last fifty years.

Stormzy would like to have a word

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Grime musician stormzy???

Ohh whoops, definitely read Grimes there :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bef posted:

exquires album is out...cop that poo poo!!

Gonna download this for my flight in like 2 hours, time to jam at 5am

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna download this for my flight in like 2 hours, time to jam at 5am

"old hoes that survived polio" just had me cracking up in the airport

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Who cares he’s a dead rapist

:agreed:

Malibu Ken has been moving up my list this year, gently caress

Tuesday is just so fuckin nasty

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fuuuuuuuuck for real?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Y'all see this? Of course he went HAM here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8YNlH3fDnU

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I'm gonna figure out how to see him in August cause that's a show I don't wanna miss

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

it’s hard liking chance the rapper after the whole mtv article thing he got pulled lmao

Link?

Also, big Krit's new album was solid. Can def omit the skits from here on out

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

we're talking two extremely talented people and two very good albums so i wouldn't be surprised if your view didn't change on a proper listen but to my ears very few people in the rap game flowing like maxo. he's got an ear for extremely catchy flow and cadence that - coupled with some of the most vivid imagery in rap - just ends up producing projects that i gently caress with heavily.

this is definitely my new favourite maxo over 187

Yeah he tells a story in like 3 minutes that is just :eyepop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

don't know if you've been following maxo but there's always at least one song on every album that is just crazy

for me, that's murder from maxo 187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftu0y2Ax1GM

from punken, it's grannies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrnVwawBM2k

I actually just got into him when he dropped Punken, so thanks for the 187 reference, just downloaded the whole thing

Not up on the song names yet for Brandon Banks, but I think it was the track with Megan Thee Stallion that had my partner and I just pause what we were doing and be like "...gently caress"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Somebody help, I can't stop listening to Meet Again

Gonna watch the video again when I get home

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

it's just gonna be 40 minutes of kanye farting in church

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mirrorland is fuckin sweeeeeeeeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU