Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A3th3r posted:

e for content:
http://nahright.com/news/2014/11/11/mack-maine-ft-mac-miller-2-chainz-living-all-of-your-dreams/
Mac Miller, yes, really, mac miller, the white guy who made "I love college", sounds pretty hot in this one. 2 chainz does what he usually does, talk about expensive stuff.

Asher Roth?

Anyone listen to the Microphone Check podcast from NPR? I tend to think the interviews go long, but they have a lot of revealing interviews with some big names. Last couple of weeks have been Hieroglyphics, TI and (this week) Run the Jewels. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Look how ignorant you are:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Shocked but not surprised. Young talent is always easy to exploit, however "hard" their image is.

I spent $1.29 USD on this. I'm not ashamed (I'm a little ashamed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0mB4zZPYA

That beat, though. Don't think it's Timbaland, but he probably picked the producer.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Robert Analog posted:

I've listened to it about 5 times through now. I like it overall but the skits and all of the spoken word and some of the songs are pure audio garbage. Also the 2pac thing is really embarrassing. Listening to it in my car with subs made it sound a lot more like a rap album. When it all comes together it's great though and that's probably 70% of the album. Maybe after all their critical success every TDE guy had free reign to experiment creatively. Like these days I like it a lot more when I'm smoking, but it also has some of the same formatting problems.

It's stupid that white guilt is preventing people from criticizing it lol

I like it okay enough so far (four songs in), but it's closer to what Erykah Badu did on her last two albums (which I loved) than anything relevant to what's happening in rap today.

Fake EDIT: Ah, Bilal on the track. Yeah, it's a neo-soul album with a bit more of a rap focus.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Kendrick:Yo! NMD Raps::The Weeknd:The old R&B Thread.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Besson posted:

Troy Ave is a clown and a plant

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/800-what-the-failure-of-troy-ave-tells-us-about-the-industry-of-hip-hop/

quote:

NYC rap tastemakers have been force-feeding Ave as the city’s Next Great Hope for some time now, and it’s granted him quite a bit of unwarranted primetime exposure. Last May, Drew Millard wrote a takedown of Troy Ave’s rising stardom for Noisey, citing specifically the shadiness of his relationships with figures in New York rap media (Ave ironically took to Hot 97 to trash Millard in response), and it’s hard to argue there isn’t some sort of backchanneling taking place considering the last rapper to perform on the main stage at Summer Jam in back-to-back years—2 Chainz—had 14 songs reach the Top 15 on the Billboard Rap Chart during that span. Troy Ave has zero. The NYC hip-hop machine has been pushing Troy Ave’s music as the new (read: current yet stodgily nostalgic) sound of the city, but there was a hitch: nobody is buying it, literally or figuratively.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Didn't see this mentioned yet: http://gawker.com/cops-bobby-shmurda-tried-to-have-girlfriend-smuggle-kn-1720001220

quote:

Prosecutors say rapper Bobby Shmurda is facing an additional seven years in prison after his girlfriend allegedly tried to smuggle a knife to him at Riker’s Island, where he’s been in jail for around seven months in lieu of a $2 million bail.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The 21st century is a fascinating time. :allears:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

I AM BRAWW posted:

Drizzy Drake

Actually, that's the least interesting part of the track. Best part is about 1 minute in when the slurred lyrics just turn the song into a drone track.

So yeah - all ambience/production. The actual song is meh from a lyrical standpoint.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

RBX posted:

I literally explained it already, rappers don't invent words you goons

Which is what the Jezebel author said.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

rear end Catchcum posted:

I hope meek goes in on weeknd then gets bodied by another singin dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zretzn72SEU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0JsFk_sBO4

This guy's scammed half the Internet. I'm not even mad at him, though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Play posted:

This is fantastic, I paid a dollar for it.

Also, gently caress Apple Music / iTunes. It's a horrible, bloated, feature-lacking piece of poo poo that is like a parasitic monster once you put it on your computer. You can't actually buy music for it, well you can but just for your itunes, to use with your apple stuff that you presumably (better) have. If I pay full price for music I should be able to just get a straight mp3 download without a bunch of bullshit attached. Bandcamp / other reasonable alternatives are worlds better.

Also, as far as pc audio players, musicbee is the poo poo. Tons of really great skins that look fantastic, plenty of customizable options, fast, etc.

On Android, I use google play music which will recognize the music on your phone or microsd card and also has streaming songs / radio

iTunes is a resource hog, but everything you're writing about the store is at least 7 years out of date.

Anyone watching "The Get Down?" It's Baz Lurhman, so even the grit looks glitzy, but it's not pretending that that any of these folks were successful in their time or even legendary beyond a small but strong cult.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Started from the bottom, now he's insufferable

"Drake may have launched his career in the shadow of Kanye West, but he has since whiffed on Ye’s knack for relentless reinvention. And don’t all great artists begin to resent their own strengths at some point? That crucial moment hasn’t come for Drake.

Maybe it never will . . . . His self-exposure feels like self-exoneration. His chivalry feels creepy. His rivalries feel dispassionate. His art feels like content."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
After getting abandoned by his label, Bobby Shmurda just pled out - 7 years plus 5 more probation.

Edit: Probably won't do it all, but still - he's basically gonna just sit out all of his 20s.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 9, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/geedee215/status/786987519346872321

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's not the best song, but I think Pride is my favorite track (after like 14 hours, so...). I'm a sucker for hazy, woozy beats/sonics, and the whole thing just feels so sad and beautiful.

It's not likely to be a memorable classic, but drat that song gets me every time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Only available in the UK store? Or is that just a UK iTunes link? Or have I just been totally played?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the entitlement of some rap fans lately is kinda sickening

This is bullshit. drat is fantastic, but you don't accidentally drop an album of death and messianic imagery on Good Friday. Whether he plans a second album or not, he wanted to spark a conversation about reincarnation.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

the_american_dream posted:

Expectations arent entitlement

Exactly. I opened iTunes this morning, didn't see a second album, then started Blood. No harm, no foul.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
“The ’90s get a lot of credit. I don’t really know why. Biggie and Tupac, those are the staples of the ’90s. That’s why they get the Golden Era credit. There’s not a 50 Cent in the ’90s. They didn’t even have a Kanye . . . . The first song I remember listening to is Lil Bow Wow ‘Bounce With Me.’ Lil Bow Wow is one of my favorite rappers ever. You could never take that from me.”

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Dont know if its true but I read Migos have done 4 breakfast club interviews but only one aired because they're so bad at interviewing drat. I love the migos but maybe they should STICK 2 RAPS

I believe this. They did a track by track interview on Apple Music when Culture came out. Their complete answer to each question was basically repeating the chorus of the song the question was about.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pretty Girls Like Trap Music is better than EBBTG or Big Fish Theory

Yeah I said it

:hai:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

So... like, Vince is literally a genius right? Like, not "Lil Wayne was in advanced classes in 6th grade," but like straight up thoughtful brilliance? drat, dealing with hip hop knuckle heads must be exhausting.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

HorseRenoir posted:

just a heads up, if you go to 444.tidal.com and put "sprint" in as the voucher code you can a free download of jay's album. lol gently caress a tidal account

Still works 3 days later, btw. Was on vacation and wasn't able to get to the site until today.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Marching Powder posted:

mbdtf, like drat, is more than the sum of it's parts. the tracks need each other.

Maybe, but unlike drat MBDTF is like 70 minutes long.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

RBX posted:

I know Goons don't understand nuance but if you watch the video it quickly switches to a different song with the best beat ive heard in awhile, he raps pretty fuckin good, and the subject is pretty good.

Alternatively, gently caress him.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

In 2017 its not cool to be manly or womanly

Feminism had two goals— to give women access to traditionally “masculine" roles and characteristics, and to give legitimacy to traditionally "feminine" roles and characteristics. We've done pretty well on A, but poorly on B, largely because the specific type of masculinity we generally endorse is so toxic. Women are encouraged to take on characteristics that we've often identified with masculinity (many of which are objectively positive, like assertiveness and confidence), but we get squicky when boys demonstrate too much sensitivity and interiority. This, of course, has no relevance to the rap world.

I've been digging the Nyck @ Knight album. No claim to AOTY, but it's nice when I want to feel like the last 23 years of rap never happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JryKk_y2Pw

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Old peaked at 18 in October 2013. AE peaked at 77 in October 2016. The album didn’t sell well, considering his trajectory.

Edit: Take Care beat it (73) in its 243rd week on the chart.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 2, 2017

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Boywhiz88 posted:

Where are you getting 36? On the Billboard website, it even says it peaked at 77 on the Billboard 200. http://www.billboard.com/music/danny-brown

alansmithee posted:

but who cares about facts when you're trying to prove a dumb point anyways).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Black Thought does 10 minutes of purestrain freestyle rappity-rap and y'all talking about Eminem.

SAD!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Idk where else to ask this so I'll ask y'all: Spotify or Apple Music? I've been a Spotify Premium subscriber for over a year now, but I hit the 10,000 song limit and I can't add any new songs to my library which loving blows. It's like why am I even paying for this poo poo?

Apple Music if you already have a lot of mixtapes/unofficial releases in your library, Spotify if you don't.

Boywhiz88 posted:

gently caress streaming services. Pirate big acts, buy smaller acts and whatnot.

Part of it is just how hosed streaming payouts are and don’t feel like contributing to that kind of model.

:jerkbag:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Boywhiz88 posted:

I mean, the next sentence was about how I know it’s not viable for everyone, but I don’t think it’s a problem to highlight the issues w streaming services and how lovely their payout is to artists. It’s one of the legit reasons I don’t sign up for Apple Music or Spotify, and it’s why I’m such a fan of bandcamp. The main benefactor of streaming services are the record labels and companies that run the streaming services. It’s part of why most big big music releases in the last couple years have a blackout period for streaming.

Honestly the wrong forum for the discussion, sorry. It's totally fine to reject streaming if you think it treats artists unfair, but it's ridiculous to say in the same breath that you should not pay anything if you arbitrarily feel that the artist is too "successful" to merit your money.

I signed up for the Apple Music 3 month free trial and tried it out for a few hours, but the UI is loving atrocious and it lacks some features that I use in Spotify all the time :( I guess I'm stuck using the only streaming service in the game with a good UI and features that are essential for any demanding music lover even though it does have what I consider to be a huge downside.

I really wish Spotify would just increase the limit. It can't be that hard, right? Apple Music's is literally 10x what Spotify's is.

I don't even need to download anything. I'm just talking about bookmarking poo poo to a profile here.

I think I'm a pretty demanding music lover. The lack of a social component is unfortunate, but what features do you think are "essential"? One simple feature that I find essential is the ability to fix incorrect tags in my songs (the right year for a song from a greatest hits album, for example, or the release year rather than the reissue year). AM lets me do that, Spotify doesn't.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 29, 2017

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Well for example, there doesn't seem to be a clear/easy way to follow artists, and after playing an album, playback stops. It doesn't automatically switch to that album's radio station and play related stuff after the album ends like Spotify does. That can be huge for me for discovering new stuff sometimes.

Maybe this can be fixed with changing some settings? I don't know. Apple stuff is supposed to be known for "just working" without having to gently caress around with anything, though, and in this case, it seems like Spotify actually does that while AM doesn't.

Ah. The artist follow option kinda fell off when the Connect failed. I get alerts about new albums occasionally, but I don't know how it works consistently. That part does suck. I absolutely don't want the radio to continue after I play an album, so that's not something I'm looking for.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just don't give a gently caress about paying someone who's at the level I consider wealthy
sorry
I'm not a paragon of virtue
just use youtube

I mean, Cardi B's had a pretty good year--is she wealthy now? Everyone's just comparing Beyonce to Soundcloud rapper #12, but there are a ton of people in the middle who are just trying to make a living while maintaining a PR image.

If you don't want to pay for music, don't pay for music, but don't play the moral high road saying that you don't stream because services don't pay artists enough (not your argument).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmTPM4aUDW8

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2017

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Welcome to the world of streaming. If every 100 plays counts as an album sale, you might as well dump out all your recording sessions.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/28/albums-are-too-long-and-streaming-rules-are-to-blame/

Edit: Releasing an hour plus album in 2018 is basically saying "Nothing here is worth your full attention. Enjoy some audio wallpaper while you play Xbox on mute." That's entirely enjoyable, but music can and should be able to do that AND more.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 26, 2018

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
BTW, this is also why a lot of the Billboard album charts are now label compilations. You collect 10-30 singles, release it as a glorified playlist with a "Now that's what I call" type album title, and get some album sales out of it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Bob NewSCART posted:

This is a blister hot take. Thank you for this.

Looks like they actually changed the policy last year, but it was a real thing:

https://theoutline.com/post/1769/billboard-album-charts-changes?zd=1

Starting this week, Billboard will no longer count streaming counts and sales of individual tracks towards various artists compilations like Epic Record's Epic AF playlist, which updates every week with the biggest tracks from artists on the label. The move is a welcome correction to what was considered to be a cynical practice that allowed record labels to effectively game the system with chart-topping playlists.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just posting the clickbait quote, but the article is actually pretty well-thought out:

https://www.stereogum.com/1980982/migos-and-the-overwhelming-content-flood/franchises/status-aint-hood/

quote:

But if Migos are the Bee Gees, then Culture II seems intended to be their Saturday Night Fever soundtrack: the massive, overwhelming statement of dominance, the one that captures the collective imagination and becomes the de facto soundtrack of its moment. Instead, though, this feels like the Migos’ version of the Bee Gees’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band movie: the moment of overreach, the time that the group finally overestimates its appeal and overtaxes its audience without offering enough in return.