Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Alvarez IV posted:

It's the morning after seeing Juicy J live, and I don't know why I expected the crowdgoers at a rap show in Connecticut to be anything less than a bunch of Caucasian recent high school graduates. Juicy pretty much stuck to his club bangers because he assumed that that's what everyone wanted to hear, so I didn't get to yell along to No Love or Gun Plus a Mask or Wax. Still a fun time, but not something I'll do again in the land of the bourgeoisie.

On a slightly different topic, this is just out of morbid curiosity since I almost exclusively listen to hip-hop about money, women, drugs, and guns, but are any of the socially conscious rappers out there worth loving with? The only one I know about is Immortal Technique but he's only interesting if you're one of those people who thinks there's such thing as "real hip-hop" that is being covered up by Lil Wayne's very existence, and I only know about him because college professors like playing his stuff to their classes to teach about gentrification, which is about the worst thing you could tell me to recommend him to me as a rapper. I guess if you think Rage Against the Machine counts as hip-hop, they technically count, but the closest I get to socially conscious hip-hop is when a rapper tells me why he's shooting police as opposed to just telling me that he's shooting police.

I used to like Sage Francis. Check out Healthy Distrust and Human the Death Dance, they were alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

thathonkey posted:

Just FYI the demographics at most rap shows are like this. Even in Atlanta, the Juicy J concert earlier this summer was mostly white kids aged roughly 16-24. He drew a weird amalgam frat/rave crowd to some extent. When I saw Waka here it was a bit more balanced but not by much.

The only predominantly black rap show I've been to has been Bone Thugs in Cleveland. Every single other one was mostly white dudes.