Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

hungry_mantis posted:

In other news, Hit-Boy stole loops to create Niggas in Paris and Cold. If you listen to the previews for this, you can definitely hear it.. http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html?512011

Thoughts?

If you buy the loop pack, you can use them royalty-free in commercial work, so unless he pirated the loop pack, Hit Boy's in the clear. I mean, yeah loop packs are kinda lame, but it's also nothing new either. I seem to recall Puff Daddy being quoted in music production magazine ads for loop packs back in the late 90s/early 00's.

EATIN SHRIMP's got it right basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Future's Adult Swim Singles Track/Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNwQeiK1O9Y

I definitely dig the animation and the beat. I'm glad Future's dialed the auto tune a bit too.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

thathonkey posted:

Most of the best releases were mixtapes. Dunno what that means exactly...

Maybe that albums are typically too locked down/controlled by the labels, and/or too many artists only do serious rap on their mixtapes, as they are reaching burn out/playing it safe by the time they drop an LP.

Just a guess.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

A Handed Missus posted:

Dr. Dre, your favorite part time rapper with thousands of ghost writers, confirmed on his Beats 1 radio show that he is releasing an album August 7.

He also claims that he just didn't like Detox so that's why it never happened. lol

Maybe he has some actual beats on this album??

August 7th of which year/decade/century?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Henchman of Santa posted:

Eminem has basically become the shred guitarist of rappers.

All super technical speed rappers fit this bill, and just like acts like Dragonforce, it appeals to an incredibly niche audience and alienates the average guy.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

rear end Catchcum posted:

Did MC Chris ever blow up

As far as I can tell, he tours the same size venues he did 10 years ago, he's just the headliner now & he brings along other nerdcore rap acts to open for him like Megaran, Richie Branson & MC Lars.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
he's got Atlanta season 2, a Deadpool animated series and a Star Wars side film prequel to do. We'll see plenty of Don Glover for years to come.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

GoldfishStew posted:

The sample on story of OJ...isn't this a Blood on the Leaves sample or other Yeezus song sample or somethin? Swear I heard it before. Sounds too samey.

Different song, same artist. Nina Simone. Actually she's been sampled Jay and Ye on other tracks as well.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Bandcamp gives somewhat more of a care about copyright, so SoundCloud rappers are going to have get serious about paying producers then too.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Henchman of Santa posted:

People are leaving Lupe off the list because he makes terrible creative decisions that overshadow his skill as a rapper

This. Lupe is an excellent MC, but bats terribly on beat picking on about half of his albums, and can get distractingly melodramatic (he's been on "my next album is the last one" since the Cool.) That said, there's no denying he can deliver really clever, layered bars with the best of them.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I'm sure Turbo Graphix 16 is right around the corner too...

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gonna gather up a bunch of rap thread goons and buy a house in california

record labels i know u are listening

I'm in. Wait nah.

Boywhiz88 posted:

LAMB and STAR are what got me into Brockhampton. LAMB won’t be on a physical release until the SATURATION boxset they’re planning. I don’t think they’re plants but they’re definitely savvy and well-produced enough that I wouldn’t be surprised if they had an industry vet guiding/managing/consulting them.

I would be suspicious of anyone who blew up on MTV out of “nowhere” but were supposed to be “underground.” Brockhampton seems to still be under the radar. Having a few million plays on tracks on Spotify isn’t the biggest feat, but if it was tens of millions I’d say there’s mainstream awareness.

They're being managed by Kelly & Christian Clancy who managed/manages Odd Future. A huge piece of their approach can easily be explained as learning from Odd Future's "mistakes" - be a band/group proper focusing on doing many consistent group releases over erratic, uneven individual albums, kick out people who are causing drama, be a diverse but tight unit hence everyone in one house, use your existing connections (like the Clancys' to Vice) to accelerate without getting into the label system (which also helps keep the group together rather than split out over labels.)

So even if they're not record industry plants, they're guided by music management vets.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, he's still managing Tyler for sure, not sure about the rest of the collective at this point - I could've been more clear on that.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hes the man who discovered the greatest threat to America: chemtrails

Is it weird to anyone else that both Kanye and Billy have gone right wing conspiracy theorist, and both are Chicago native, production obsessed, narcissistic musicians?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It's incredibly similar in the ways that matter, I'm just wondering when Gambino or his producer would've heard it, as apparently it only had 500ish views before someone noticed the parallels. If that can be pieced together, that's everything.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

I did have to trim the hooks to get them to line up that perfectly, but other wise it's the same key, same vibe and only 2 bpm different. I honestly didn't expect that it'd only mean dropping a few measures in the right spots.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I like how only 3 people have RT'd that comparison video but I already have Childish stans tracking the tweet down and replying on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Kebabahabaninja/status/1011095779350663170

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

eighty-four merc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwHhjsF63c

Is there anywhere else in rap music you can find this tone other than weird soundcloud anime poo poo?

Most of the rappers in Midnight Society are focusing more on that sound and not on anime references as they get better known, so just give it time.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

succ posted:

Midnight Society is pretty dope and they are kinda getting a little buzz lately.

This beat is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3-qVl_cBo

The Kamiyada/Bambi collab EP is solid:

https://m.soundcloud.com/deathofamother/sets/ducksonice

Looking forward to Original God's next EP too; glad he's sticking with it. He's easily the otaku-est of that set, but he's used that to get an international footprint going, which is a smart move. I'm biased though.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

abraham linksys posted:

new brockhampton single is a cool beat but verses kinda a let down. where merlyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1KXGKFIyc

Agreed, you'd think this would be an obvious Merlyn joint. I feel like him and Kevin are way less in the foreground so far with the new singles.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Wezlar posted:

It seems like he really needs someone else to direct him creatively and his own projects are a disaster without Yams doing it.

That's why I really hope Rocky can make/do Wangsap with Tyler. Tyler easily can provide structure both at a technical and thematic level such that Rocky has some bearings and can focus. Plus, they're 3 for 3 with collabs. The chemistry is clear.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

DC Murderverse posted:

i'll bump hi bich in my car but you'll never be able to convince me that a Bad Bhabie concert will not be filled with the worst people

you would be rightish: https://theoutline.com/post/4804/bhad-bhabie-concert-review-spokane

Also, weird she'd hit Spokane of all places twice in 6 months, but maybe kinda second string towns are her core audience?

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 25, 2018

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
My immediate thought with regards to Tha Carter V is whether any of what it was originally gonna be would even be on the version we're gonna get. Whatever was shelved is almost certainly dated stylistically, yet, I don't quite see even more money being plowed into redoing everything either. Seems like there's a solid possibility it's some weird, uncohesive mix.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Lupe and Brockhampton dropped the same day to make sure everyone was here in the thread for this sweet meltdown.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Ye & Pump AKA Sparkling & Still. Wow.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I feel like we might some how end up with Yandhi being so delayed it doesn't clash with the Carter V on the charts, you know, by accident. /not an accident

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Earl did say on his Red Bull radio show that he loved what Tierra Whack did with her project, so it's not that surprising.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
TikTok is literally musical.ly rebranded after buyout IIRC. I've only read about it in tech articles, all of which spark zero interest in joining.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Lil Uzi bails in the middle of Nardwuar interview after he mentions Philly DJ Gun$ Garcia: https://youtu.be/pVzcwbC7naM

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

succ posted:

rap video under a giant Gundam is very 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wve11ObUUrE

Very 2019 indeed - Megaran and Jaden Smith each recently dropped videos shot in Akihabara too. Still, I'm hoping Midnight Society has a come up this year.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylqBPksn36A

Flying Lotus & Anderson .Paak with a new music video from the Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Space Dandy/Carole & Tuesday director.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Boywhiz88 posted:

Has he ever given an interview that speaks to his research process? I assume not but that would be so cool to learn about.

Long before YouTube, Nardwuar was interviewed by a DJ from CFUV, (the sister college station to Nardwuar's home station if CITR,) and he goes into his process and history some, and thankfully it's been archived to YouTube by said CFUV DJ:

https://youtu.be/6gXaEFrgnhM

Some key take aways:
-Most of his technique is just aggressive research on his own/with friends, and bands/acts dishing on anyone they've ever toured with after he's built a rapport.
-Occasionally he'll literally make something up just to get a rise out of the artist.
-His friend Gary made up the name Nardwuar.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 2, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Did not expect the Joji swerve to fully melodic work out of Rich Brian, but he sure killed it. It's very 808s/MBDTF Kanye-ish too. Very curious to hear how his next album hangs together.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Well that's already deleted.

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1167154538643513344

Kanye putting out a gospel album? Kanye putting out an album at all?

If it's anything like a polished version of the Yandhi leaks, it'd probably be a fine album but no matter comes out (if anything) I doubt it'll be exciting or redemptive of his image.

Edit: worse than being outright bad it'll probably just be boring.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

is pepsi ok posted:

Whoops, it was Teddy Walton saying he was working on Kanye's vocals and he was going to make it sound like Graduation.

Not a bad Ye era at all, especially because he tended to lock his albums down well before release back then. Definitely makes me a little more curious.

Dexo posted:

Ye is still a very good producer

His problem has been his (ghostwriters) pen

Agreed, though his impatience regarding finalizing well before release definitely dinged TLOP and Ye, and may be part of why Yeezus leaked (Kanye's whole process lately doesn't strike me as having strong op sec.) If he can be just a little patient, I think it'd help both his production and writing.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The annoying thing with TLoP is if he'd just done what he did with Yeezus for TLoP, specifically getting an outside producer to help him lock it down both in composition and sequence with a hard deadline (it doesn't even have to be Rick Rubin either, just someone Kanye will take seriously,) there wouldn't be any patching, and the release would be better regarded for it. I'm kind of hoping the fact that he's iterated so hard on his new record means that he's able to avoid his recent rushed work, but it may not be unfair to say the last Kanye album where he was able to actually execute on his grand ideas without patching or major rework at the last minute by an outside producer was MBDTF. That's a fine criticism of his process at least.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Oooh I love my chri-ist

If there's a new Kanye thread for Jesus is King, this should be the title.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Future saved autotune. It was on its way out, but he revitalized it by using it on a relatively novel way vs. T-Pain & Kanye to basically make straight up Trap tracks, just with autotune (and not even always in key.) I don't think we get the 2010s as we know it with out him.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Marching Powder posted:

(excellent recommendation)

You're omitting that Ezekiel's story is basically the whole 21 Savage getting picked up by ICE saga in the best way. But yeah, a good watch for rap fans; has the same director as Samurai Champloo (which had Fat Jon & Nujabes on the score.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
My first rap CD was also The Score by The Fugees, which snuck by thanks to the covers which my parents were familiar with, though I'd already been interested in picking it up when I saw them perform "Fu-Gee-La" on Mtv. I think I picked up the cassingles for "Tha Crossroads" by Bone Thugs, "Gangsta' Paradise" by Coolio and "I Wish" by Skee-Lo around the same time.