Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I like Drake more as like a pop star than as an actual rapper, so I wasn't really excited by the idea of him having a mixtape, but I actually like it quite a bit. 6PM in New York is great, who would have thought it :shrug:

e: helps that it's on Spotify so I don't gotta think about it theoretically costing $13 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/kendricklamar/status/577331666789609474

:confused:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it's up on iTunes and Spotify in both clean and explicit versions, sort of hard to imagine it was a completely accidental release unless they just decided to flip the switch on the rest of it after accidentally putting the clean version up

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh poo poo, took a while for the news articles to appear, I guess. in that case, :shrug:

e: "u" :stare:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I hear Fetty Wap's weird-rear end voice coming out of car speakers around me all the time, usually Trap Queen or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-g-cO2Z4dc

Both are good tracks and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can be more than just "guy with weird voice" (though I could hear him do a lot more hooks if nothing else)

e:f;b, ah well. Also I saw GoldLink open for SBTRKT last year and remember like nothing of it, but he seems pretty good from what I've listened to so far

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

i saw him perform this live 3 years ago lol. seeing an official despot release is incredibly surreal. 2015 is an insane year for rap music

Holy poo poo, yeah, wow, I saw him do this opening for Run the Jewels last year and didn't even realize it hadn't been released yet. Final version sounds excellent.

e: produced by one of the dudes from Ratatat too, drat

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah, wow, I saw him do this opening for Run the Jewels last year and didn't even realize it hadn't been released yet. Final version sounds excellent.

e: produced by one of the dudes from Ratatat too, drat

Update: I saw Ratatat tonight and Despot did a mini-set right after the doors opened for the 75 or so of us who had filtered in so far. He did three Ratatat-produced songs and it loving great but unfortunately he did not respond to my shouted question of where is the album, Despot

where is the album

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I don't care if Despot releases the album as long as he keeps opening for shows in NYC so I can at least hear his poo poo once or twice a year

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

^burtle posted:

What are the chances this Big Boi project is any good?

the Phantogram tracks on his last record were some of the weakest on an already-not-great album, I'm not super optimistic

I'll still go to bat for Sir Lucious Left Foot but Vicious Lies was pretty bad in retrospect

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the worst thing about Vicious Lies is that Little Dragon got replaced on Mama Told Me. the original is way better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTF22hsIu8

it's still not a great track but at least it has a unique voice on it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the show in NYC is Rocky/Tyler/Danny/Vince Staples

if only Tyler was the actual headliner, I would just bail before his set

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

I thought frank did a couple years ago

nice

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

new LE1f produced by SOPHIE lol. actually pretty sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUBzGKpHGAY

wow for some reason I wasn't expecting this to be like Lemonade/Bipp SOPHIE, thought it'd be less squeaky and more poppy. cool track though, I hope they do more stuff

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I like Kanye because he's released some of the most experimental music possible for an artist of his popularity. Like, I'm not saying 808s or Yeezus were revolutionary, but they were still out-there in a way most artists of his stature wouldn't dare try. They're also both fantastic albums.

I've been pretty bummed out by what he's released since Yeezus, though. From interviews, it sounds like he wants to move back towards pop music with Swish. I'm glad the dude is happy and married and a dad and wants to make happy married dad music, but that doesn't make me very interested to hear him sing autotune ballads with bland production :(

Also did y'all see he's gonna play all of 808s at Hollywood Bowl next month? Tickets on sale in a couple days, jealous of anyone on the west coast who can go see that: http://www.stereogum.com/1827592/kanye-west-playing-808s-heartbreaks-in-full-at-hollywood-bowl/news/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

isn't his fashion line doing pretty well for something that took inspiration from the wrong scenes in The Matrix

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm gonna see him on Thursday (opening for RL Grime, which is a set I will probably leave halfway through because ew) so I hope he does not get re-arrested in the next 50 hours or so

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

calling your name is insane. young thug album when

he's touring in support of the new album starting tonight, so presumedly pretty soon!! I hope!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Young Thug only played a half hour set opening for some loving producer who I guess really wanted an hour and a half and I'm PISSED

he better add a headlining NYC stop to this loving tour

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm excited about this Fetty Wap album but drat why is every single rap album (and commercial mixtape) this year like 50-80 minutes long

say what you will about Yeezus, at least that album was tight enough to fit on a single record

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it is, indeed, very good

not sure if any of the tracks really stuck out beyond the singles but I'll give it a few more listens

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i literally cant stand fetty wap

this is how I feel about Future tbh outside of a few of his hooks

you'd think weird autotune warblers would be a "like one, like em all" kinda thing but I love Fetty Wap and Young Thug and can't handle Future :shrug:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Fetty doesnt use autotune tho

i havent listened to the album so maybe he does there idk

I honestly assumed that he did but it was just way more subtle than what anyone else did

mostly because I'm just baffled that a human being's voice can sound like that without assistance :stare:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

It's an EP and I hated those past tracks with Phantogram and nothing I've heard on this new thing make it sound any better

Phantogram is, as far as I can tell, the single most boring band in the world

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I believe Starks may have, in fact, been making a sarcastic post in which he is saying that Vince Staples/Danny Brown/ASAP Rocky is an incredible tour on its own, and that Tyler's presence on it is extremely bad, all of which is very accurate

I'm glad I saw Vince Staples solo so I didn't feel that pressured to catch one of those shows, because $70 for a show where I'm gonna skip the headliner is bullshit

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

temple posted:

I'm getting away from my point. My point is that people are using the same sound over and over. There are plenty of diverse mixtape/underground acts. There always are. But this thread in particular praises the same sounding poo poo and there is no disconnect between the fan and the radio largely. I know people want to be cool but fan taste and radio taste lines up more than you want to admit. I never hear any of the lesser know acts mentioned outside of this thread and I'm on social media, talk to kids, blah blah. Its always 1 or 2 weirdos that heard of Vince Staples or Chance but everyone is on that Future/Thug/anonomyous trap dude that sounds just like them.

I'm in NC too.

Music's fragmented everywhere; if you say "well sure there's lots of indie stuff but the mainstream is all boring" that has been true of all music for like a decade. Plus, there's also varying shades of mainstream. Like, Vince Staples and Chance both fall into that general indie music crossover like RTJ does, the Pitchfork crowd and all that. I've talked to way more people who recognize RTJ or Chance who don't know Thug and would only recognize Future from the Drake collab.

I also think it's generally weird to worry about what's radio-popular versus what you listen to and like; rap's not gonna die out because Vince Staples isn't getting played as much on the radio as Fetty Wap. You're saying you only know "1 or 2 weirdos" who know Vince or Chance, but Vince is on that massive tour with Rocky and Tyler, and Chance is selling out 3000-capacity venues with one of the weirdest records of the year; I think we're doing okay.

Listen to what you like, post about what you like, don't worry about the stuff you don't like. I don't know why music, of all things, has to be competitive.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

idk I think anyone who performs on the late night talk show circuit and gets the big font on music festival posters is mainstream but whatever

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

temple posted:

Is Odd Future mainstream?

...yeah? Odd Future was hyped as gently caress as of a couple years ago. Frank Ocean's album debuted at #2, Wolf at #3; I remember hearing Rella all over the goddamn place for a bit. I mean, poo poo, those dudes had a TV show for a while.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Tyler's pretty fuckin popular dude. if three albums in the Billboard top 5 and singles with over 30 million Youtube hits isn't mainstream I don't know what the gently caress is

and of course RTJ isn't as visible as Odd Future, but they're still popular.

temple posted:

edit: OF and RTJ aren't even like regular rap, they are alt-rap that is hyped massively by the internet because its marketed as alt-rap

lol

also I'm willing to double down and say that, yeah, Inuyasha is actually mainstream as gently caress but actually discussing this would be the single most ridiculous derail in NMD history so

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 8, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

stop caring about how gay you think someone acts you fuckin barnacle

imho all rappers should be either straight as an arrow or Le1f; there is no middle ground allowed

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

the track goldlink just dropped off of his upcoming album is great
https://soundcloud.com/goldlink/spectrum

I was gonna post this then the forums went down

also there's a new Raury track where he does a passable Andre 3000 impression. this is gonna be a weird album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KQCEFPObE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I continue to be excited about this Le1f album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qt6eFShFfc

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

Still waiting on the Hotline Bling video but I didn't even realize that the song samples "cha cha" from last year which samples the Super Mario Brothers intro from the SNES

Mind....blown

I was listening to that Apple Music Beats One radio station a lot when it launched, and they played Cha Cha constantly, even though it was already fading in popularity. Like, literally multiple times an hour on some days. I only kind of liked that song to begin with, and it single-handedly got me to stop listening to Beats One for a while.

Of course, a few weeks later when I decided to try it again, what was the first song that I heard? loving Hotline Bling :argh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The hotline bling video is the most important video of the year

only in the sense that music videos are meaningless in 2015 and this one just happens to feature Drake

though I did like that Senorita video so it's not a completely dead medium

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

according to thugger's twitter slime season 2 drops on halloween

I hope for more chillwave thugger because seriously this is the best track he's done since the Jamie XX one

http://www.audiomack.com/song/rapswag-1/raw

dude's voice deserves this kind of production, it's so much better

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I need to go back and give Chance more of a shot. I liked most of Acid Rap, but everyone who hyped Surf to me were the people I know who love Childish Gambino and Lil Dicky, so I decided to ignore it. Everything I've heard from it does sound pretty cool, though :kiddo:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the Kendrick Lamar tickets for his Webster Hall show sold out in negative time because TicketWeb is a garbage website run by loving monopolistic morons who put the tickets up minutes before they were supposed to go on sale and I should have just bought the $130 VIP ticket when it was on presale because uh http://www.stubhub.com/kendrick-lamar-tickets/performer/531927/

no I'm not bitter why do you ask

:negative:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

new trend of popularity-shattering artists playing shows in 'intimate venues' is loving retarded and needs to play itself out asap. $350 for a kendrick vip ticket in philly because the gen.ad tickets sold out in 1 second? come onnnnnnn

It's fine when you do a lottery system for general admission, but no one ever actually does that. It happens all the time in NYC - in the past year, I remember Modest Mouse, CHVRCHES, Grimes, Muse all playing hilariously tiny shows - and the sites always implode and people who get tickets always end up having gotten them before the on-sale due to some glitch or just lucked out in being one of the 3% of people who can connect to the site

I saw Vince Staples in a pretty tiny venue, and he's obviously not as popular as an act like Kendrick, but that was a cheap show you paid at the door for and had to get in line to make it in. That felt fair. This is just dumb.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hah, they moved the Kendrick show in NYC to a larger venue. Sucks for everyone who had tickets already, but Webster Hall and Terminal 5 are basically equally lovely venues anyways, and now I have a ticket :getin:

which, like, it is pretty loving silly to schedule "small shows at intimate venues" and then move it to, y'know, a larger venue. Like, if you want the extra money, just have a regular ol' arena tour!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Notes about seeing Le1f live:

- motherfucker is sexy as hell
- got a fist bump for being the only one who knew the words to Koi
- rage is loving amazing live

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

just got back from Kendrick in NYC

if you can catch him on this tour, do it. album may have left me a bit sour after the novelty worn off but I'm back on board after seeing him perform so much of it live. the live band sounds so good too. awesome poo poo.