Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lol at all the people saying to replace el-p on RTJ. that duo is literally made of their friendship and the songs where they rap back and forth are great. Literally the only people I've seen say they dislike el-p are goons, what a surprise

Hmm my phone didn't load the last page or two
Whatever gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

where did all this new rap come from right now

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 1, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I finally sat down and listened to Flower Boy and wow that's impressive imo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RBX posted:

He also like XXXtemptation and I'm trying to understand who that dude paid to get a music career

Well, his most viewed video is on one of those 20 bucks to get your video posted channels, or at least it used to be. I don't know if it's still most viewed.

Also whoever made the beat for Look at Me is good.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've never seen a Vince interview before. Guy seems incredibly grounded and i already like his music

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 11, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jcole good though

edit: I can see how someone wouldn't like Born Sinner and earlier Cole, but 2014 Forest Hills Drive and 4 Your Eyez Only are both great

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 20, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oh sorry my b let me jam to *squints at computer screen* xxxtentacles

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

I know a lot of people cant and no hate but I personally can easily separate art from the artist its also entirely possible to enjoy elements of things even if you dont agree with all of it

sure but i think it's mostly about not supporting the artist

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just saw this, apologies if it was posted before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-HQLGFubQ

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

corny stupid suicide noise albums are still better than song x4264373532462 about i hosed your bitch oooo ayyy yah i sip the lean ooo ayyy my dick hard like a beam oooohh yaaaaah hop in that foreign im mean ayyy yahhh wooo

Not wrong

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ol yeller posted:

i dont know why anyone over 12 would watch a Youtube music reviewer

Yeah I too don't like hearing other people's opinions of my hobbies.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I watch quint to see a fat man dance and I'm not ashamed of it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ornithology posted:

How's that make him a joke? The production and lyrics in drat are a lot more straight forward in my opinion. Not bad but I don't see how it's as groundbreaking as his other stuff. TPAB is my fav Kendrick album, it has some great jazz influence in the beats, plus Thundercat which alone makes it one of the best hip hop albums ever.

Which one has more pop hits in it? :thunk:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i don't remember seeing this posted here when it came out but i may have missedit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zi0pab6yWw

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

don't know what i expected from a guy with a name like that and track names that are japanese and anime but i listened to it all and liked it.

Pretty much my reaction entirely.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Buccaneer posted:

I haven't listened to XXXtentacion what are good songs by him

gently caress on Me
rear end blaster
TENTACLES
And his new album seventy

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

no one said the world is just

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

anytime i think of PRhyme i'm just disappointed not everything is as good as Wishin

but i still like Era and i'm sure album will be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLGwyJamWEI

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My wife is awesome and for my graduation she set up a hotel and bought tickets for Joey Bada$$

Edit: I was wrong on the concert that I looked at, and am actually more hyped now. She got tickets to Run The Jewels

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

highme posted:

She got herself tickets to see Lorde. You just get to tag along for the opener :respek:

That was my jam, the disembodied limbs were the best part.

She doesn't even like lorde (i do)

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 21, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually liked If You're Reading This It's Too Late but no one's going to argue that Drake is good here, probably.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It only took me 3 years, but I think I'm finally ready to admit that my longstanding opinion that To Pimp A Butterfly is trash was too harsh.

It definitely ain't trash. I don't think it's as good as good kid, m.A.A.d city or drat. either, but it's absolutely better than I initially gave it credit for.

I don't know if seeing Black Panther recontextualized this for me or what, but I really appreciate its radical embracement of blackness in America in a way I didn't before for whatever reason.

see but drat. is much worse than tpab

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still think TPAB has too much filler and goes on for too long. It could've had a few tracks axed (like the interludes) and would work much better. drat has a better flow/works better as as cohesive album for me no question.

maybe it is a little too long but i think the better tracks on tpab are much better than the better tracks on drat., plus there's a lot less of the stupid poppy pandering poo poo in tpab. it seems like it has a purpose

i agree that GKMC is better than either album though

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

none of the individual tracks made my top 20, but drat was my favorite album last year. it is cohesive in a way that few albums are and as an album, it's amazing. it really is greater than the sum of it's parts.

poppy pandering poo poo? humble? that and dna were the only songs i ever heard on the radio.

love is played at least once a day by the nearest city's radio station, even today it's pretty common

I don't hate the songs themselves really but it makes the album less impactful i guess. seems like something that could just be a single on it's own

edit: i'm not saying i hate any of the albums though, to me it's the difference between a 8.5/9.5/10

edit2: also how are you saying drat is that cohesive. have you listened to GKMC all at once? it's like a cinematic experience. It tells a very cohesive story

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 22, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Can anyone give me good albums to start with for A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots? So much music, so little time.

Beats, Rhymes, and Life
The Love Movement

Probably my two favorite old A Tribe Called Quest albums.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

temple posted:

midnight mauraders and anything else. the love movement isn't that great.
also check qtip's solo records amplified and the renaissance. I think amplified defined the early 2000s club rap sound.

if I had to name 2 wack tribe albums, it would be them.

I like wack music I guess, but all Tribe albums are good.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uATMmh2NBSE

friend just sent me this earlier, actually a lot better than i would expect. I've always been a fan of 'experimental' rap though

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i think we should just arm everyone who is darker than lily white

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

was disgusted at the shade thrown at rocky / asap's way, but then i remembered that live love was released in 2011 lol. guess it's just that time for rocky and ferg rip

Didn't ferg release a medium okay album last year

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jay....

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lmao rtj just brought outkast on. Apparently they're flying out to Coachella tomorrow or something

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 15, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't think anyone liked the big day

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RBX posted:

I just wanna know what these people/rappers think is gonna happen when he's out of office. Regardless of if he wins or not? Isn't he up for prison time when he's out?

Doubt we're going to start jailing war criminals lol. Would set a bad precedent

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

funniest poo poo i've ever seen in my life was when the rapey dude got thrown out of the band and they all cried on stage at one of their concerts

You can boot someone out for their actions while still grieving the person you thought they were/the friendship you had, tbh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

would laugh real hard if the new kendrick is like a vince staples-style 20 minute album with a bunch of 2 minute songs with no hooks. it coming out with no singles makes me think this is maybe in the cards but kendrick's one of the few guys who can get away with skipping a full album rollout so probably not (and TDE for all their faults will happily be like "oh you mean we can put even less effort into promoting this than we normally would?? sure don't put out any singles")

Id be okay with this if it was good. I didn't really like drat too much I still listen to the singles sometimes but don't think I've listened to the whole album since the first month like I have with gkmc, section 80 and tpab.

Not saying it was bad though. Just comparatively

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I just can’t bring myself to watch a video about an album. I would rather read words about it IMHO

yeah sure but going from articles to videos gets you about 100x more watches/reads/views so everything is video format now. enjoy

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Going to see jpegmafia and Denzel in August. Let's loving gooo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

what the gently caress why is there a curfew lmao

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

outdoor shows in nyc always have a 10pm curfew pretty much

it's really dumb for the pier 17 venue because its on the waterfront downtown and no one loving lives there, its a ghost town past 5pm already

ah ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Was at the jpegmafia and Danny Brown ATL date earlier. It was good fun but I don't think Peggy understood how loving hot the Tabernacle gets lmao he was dying. It was quite loving hot and stale.

The set was good though including the little mini Danny Brown set while Peggy took a break.