Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

When yall say "Thugga" who are yall talkin about? I'm from Houston and Thugga is Slim Thug but theres like 3 or 4 guys goin by that now??/
Thugga will forever be Slim Thug, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I've been on a Lil Mouse kick lately and I've never felt so guilty about listening to rap music.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Dexo posted:

In poo poo that I thought had happened already but apparently did not. Chief Keefe dropped from Interscope.

http://allhiphop.com/2014/10/21/exc...rscope-records/
Interscope always taking the classy way out. They pick up a 16 year old gangbanger from one of the most notorious neighborhoods in the country, entice him with the prospect of millions, then lose interest when he continues the self-destructive lifestyle they picked him up for in the first place.

But I'm guessing everything would be irrelevant if Finally Rich went platinum.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I don't know if it was Total Slaughter's embarrassing failure or Tahiry, but Joe Budden has blacked out recently. Every song on his soundcloud from Some Love Lost is absolutely vintage Joe.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

The new Joe Budden EP Some Love Lost is miles above that garbage he put out last year. I know Joey gets no respect around these parts, but it's only 7 tracks and it's reminiscent of why the internet fell in love with him in the first place. And I don't know if he gave up smoking or what, but his voice sounds less throat cancer.

Anyway, that's my last Budden plug for the year.

I Might Need More Than 16 Tho

vanbags fucked around with this message at Nov 6, 2014 around 03:56

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

TenaciousTomato posted:

camped

also death threats are smart to post publicly
They can and have used lyrics against rappers in court, so I don't think a tweet will make that much of a difference.

Robert Analog posted:

All those people trying to eat at a nice restaurant instead have to be witness to a worldstar video. Good to see money still isn't buying class.
Let's clarify that they were at an Olive Garden.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

asap-salafi posted:

I don't understand why Slaughterhouse sound so boring together. I love everyone in there except Ortiz and they still sound loving shite.
With exception of Crooked I they lack energy or passion. It's like they're rapping just to show us they're better rappers than 90% of our favorite rappers. Like that Royce verse, he was trying to way too hard to show us how little fucks he gives about telling us how little fucks he gives. His delivery was basically "I'm wasting my time doing this but take these bars anyway."

I guess they're just too "cool" for me. I think they're less humble than Jay-Z, actually.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

asap-salafi posted:

Also someone made a point earlier that Joe Budden sounds better when he's being depressed and poo poo and I guess he can't really jump onto a Slaughterhouse track and talk about poo poo like that.
They all sound better like that. "Truth or Truth" is one of the few Slaughterhouse tracks I actually enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vk0X3Fcw2o

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Marching Powder posted:

Who Is their demographic? Who is buying their records?
People who still wear Mecca jeans and Avirex jackets.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I have to boycott Azealia Banks on principle. If she didn't own a twitter account I'd support her.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

She had the best (worst) beefs ever tho. Disclosure like, lmao. How you gonna beef with Pharrell?
Yeah, blaming your lack of success on a Pharrell collab is one of the worst things you can argue in hip hop.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-2q_y3NJ4E

Fab still trying to revive the punchline flow from the early 00s.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

furthermore please refrain from implying that winning a grammy is indicative of anything meaningful in rap, tia
because so many respected rappers are in attendance at the Vibe awards

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Dame Dash has been doing the morning radio circuit lately for his new movie and I've been revisiting some of his music projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIVVau9-Bog

Sen City sounds like a cleaner Max B, but I could get behind an entire album of Dame Dash adlibs

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

pliable posted:

Critics want to mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’
Motherfucker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum
That line is hard as gently caress, but it sounded a lot better on "Moment of Clarity"

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I'm pretty sure this has to be parody

If you watch the other video where they list the top 5 albums from the 90s the dude actually says Nas has a very "urban flow" on Illmatic

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Does anyone want to read a really depressing story about former No Limit rapper Mac and a corrupt justice system?

On a lighter note, I don't know how many people in this thread follow battle rap, but Calicoe is legitimately the only battle rapper I would consider listening to outside of battling. Mixtape out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tXE6j1bco

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

There's nothing about Young Thug's music that remotely interests me, but I genuinely feel sorry for the guy and the obsession surrounding his sexuality

vanbags fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2015 around 00:04

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

This whole metrosexual thing in hip hop and the young generation is an actual problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ46FWvZAhM

Is that you, Mac?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

good electric posted:

lol at the idea that thug's weirdness is a marketing ploy, he's been tweeting about penis smoking!!! for years
I think it's worth pointing out that he's referring to "glass dicks" in these tweets. It's a drug reference.

Sorry if your post wasn't serious, but I'm sure a lot of people just skimming the thread aren't actually in on the joke.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

Bruh smoking the glass dick means you're loving smoking crack. That's never cool or funny. He's talking about blunts. It's not a "joke" either.
I've literally never heard a blunt referred to as a penis in my life, so I'm going to keep assuming Young Thug enjoyed a foray into crack or meth at one point.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

So Dre can push overpriced headphones, but Jay can't push an overpriced streaming service?

I think it will be a success, assuming he brands it correctly. As long as consumers can identify that LeBron James or Lil Wayne are listening to Tidal through their Beats they will feel obligated to listen to Tidal through their own Beats.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

bows1 posted:

Yeah but Beats aren't even remotely studio quality or good at all. This service is supposed to be actually good not just marketing.
I can't comment on the quality of Beats because I've never personally owned a pair, but I don't think there's any denying that branding and marketing is almost entirely responsible for its success. Most people rely on youtube and aux cords for their music fix, no one is sweating "studio quality" but a niche market of audiophiles.

Whether you're watching professional athletes during pressers, celebrities in paparazzi pics/Instagram, or radio hosts on Hot97, you will see a pair of headphones that are distinctively designed to stand out. By a glance I can't really differentiate between a Sennheiser or an Audio Technica, but I can easily identify Beats.

I'm just saying if Jay-Z can use his celebrity and influence to brand Tidal in the same way he's maneuvered in sports management and every other venture he's pursued, I can't see Tidal being a total flop. If it's the "in" thing and our favorite celebrities on social media are embracing it there will be plenty of people willing to spend the money despite cheaper or free services being available.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

Are there any articles about dre in the studio? Id like to know more as well since he has legendary status. But is he more like a traditional music producer with a background role rather than those focused on making the beats etc?
That's the gist, from everything I've heard or read. He's always had guys around him from Daz, Scott Scorch, Mel-Man, Mike Elizondo, to even Hi-Tek as of recently.

His mixing is what has always gave him a "signature" sound through the years, regardless of the different co-producers he's kept around him and had falling outs with.

If you watched the Shady Records mini-doc you can hear Eminem and even Dre get into details about the process.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Project Pat is a getting a minor mainstream resurrection in part to Gucci Mane and Drake co-signs. I'm happy for him.

vanbags fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2015 around 04:05

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

yeah actually there is someone on my instagram who posts about boosie all the time and sometimes pics from shows so i guess he does ok
Boosie has a crazy following in the south, like Yo Gotti levels of support.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

i wouldn't count on that. coach k said he has like 3 tb harddrives full of music that hasn't even been touched yet

godwop
No one's buying that bullshit, but if I was Coach K I'd be saying the same thing.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Am I the only one who loved Relapse? I haven't really liked anything since, but holy poo poo that album was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6G2r-jecHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLsVLlbyb4

^ His flow on this song? Jesus.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

"pussy boy i'll leave you dead and call it Dedication" omg
That line is trash to be honest

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Yuzenn posted:

I guess its a pretty good discussion start though, Azaelea Banks and J Cole get totally drowned out when they talk about cultural appropriation all the time.
What has J Cole said?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I thought 2014 Forest Hills Drive was decent but to be fair I had to google the album's name right now to remember wtf it was called
This post is like the perfect summary of J Cole's career.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He got his buzz entirely from his "coulder than the shoulder of a gold diggin ho" line on that poo poo jay-z song and he rode it into the ground shortly afterwards by being the human eeyore
He had everyone going crazy for a few days after he murdered "Looking For Trouble" during the GOOD Fridays period. If Jay put half the effort into Cole that Kanye put into Pusha T I think things would have turned out differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUlxfY1yfs

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I think he wrongly gets portrayed as disloyal because he chose Jay over Dame, but he maintains a relationship with Dame to this day and pretty much everyone who helped him along the way. That on top of the way he treats his GOOD Music artists, I think he's one of the most stand up guys in hip-hop.

But if you're an up and coming rapper I can't think of a solid reason to sign under Jay unless your only aspiration is 15 minutes of fame. Since Rocafella he has a 0% success rate of developing and marketing artists. J Cole is his biggest success, which is saying a lot.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

temple posted:

Rihanna was nurtured under Jay Z and Jay Z was Def Jam for a few years. The problem with Jay Z is that he is a typical suit looking to market dumb stuff instead of growing good stuff. There is no reason for Maybach music, Brick Squad, and TDE to pull artists up from the gutter with half the resources.
Well I was primarily talking about rappers, I guess I should have clarified. Rihanna and Rita Ora have both flourished, but then you have Uncle Murda, Tru Life, K Koke, Jay Electronica, and to a lesser extent Lady Sovereign who actually released an album but only ended up selling like 300k worldwide. And that's just from his post-Rocafella days.

Remember when Tru Life went to war with Dipset in Jay's honor, on wax and off wax, and this is the closest thing to a verse he could get out of Jay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDVi9npIpM

vanbags fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2015 around 18:28

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

welp 2/3rd of migos got arrested last night (actually, in the middle of a show they had to ask the DJ to cut the music and quavo, offset were taken backstage where the police were waiting or something liek that): misd marijuana, felony sched 2 narcotic + a gun charge for offset...

https://twitter.com/Migos/status/589649921336340480

ah just saw it was at georgia southern university which is in a hick as gently caress county. was local pd.
Wish there were more details about this. I don't give a gently caress about Migos but that sounds suspect on the police dept's part.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

afgrunden posted:

2 day old track Monty Ft. Fetty Wap, "Back it Up"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nemLKvUsBA
As someone who's not exactly versed in modern rap, who started this flow? It sounds like every Speaker Knockerz song I've ever heard, but I'm interested in its origin.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Sounds like every little Lil Durk song to me
Do you know if it originated in Chicago? I want to automatically assume it was an Atlanta sound first.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Can we talk about beats that just ended up in the wrong hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au74-8FYc4g

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Robert Analog posted:

I think it's ok, the song feels about 10 years too late though. That NY beat is classic to me but it sounds dated and Premier is one of my favorites.
The beat doesn't sound too dated considering it's from '06. I mean it's from the same era and vein as The Documentary which everyone drooled over as one of the greatest produced albums of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Speaking of Rae and Ghost, I will never forgive Ghost for this.

«3 »