Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

alansmithee posted:

This isn't it at all btw. It's not like Birdman's the first record exec to sit on an album.

In general if a label doesn't think an album has marketable material, they won't bother releasing it in an effort to get the artist to make stuff they do think is more marketable. A lot of record contracts are for # of releases, so if you "waste" one on something you don't think you're gonna make your money back from and/or not maximize your profit, you try to hold off. Also from a label's perspective it's often better to just write off whatever costs went into an album that they actually fronted as sunk than bother putting more money into promotion/production/etc from actually releasing an album they don't have faith in. Also you may not want to "ruin" an established brand by releasing something that underwhelms.

This can also lead to situations like Lupe Fiasco's "Lasers" where he pretty much gave up most of the creative control and just half-assed through poo poo to get something out, or Mos Def's "Tru Magic" where they didn't even bother making a CD jacket and just reused some art for the actual CD from Black on Both Sides. They tried to play it off as being "environmentally conscious" or some crap like that, but it was really them trying to cut production costs by not having a jacket and using some cut-rate jewel cases.

With how the record industry has been going in general, this has seen even "big" artists getting hit. 50 had to leave aftermath because they wouldn't release his poo poo and dude's sold boatloads of music. Supposedly Jay-Z has been sitting on Jay Electronica's album (although he's so random that it's hard telling how much of anything about him is true). I'm mostly surprised that Wayne's seeing trouble because they let him put out IANAHB1 and that album was raw garbage (although iirc he was locked up then so maybe they just wanted to keep his name buzzing, and that was like 5 or whatever years ago).

This is true. An interesting thing about the recording industry is that even if they get released, about 9 out of 10 artist never recoup on their album. I'm not saying that they don't just make a profit- I'm saying they never even make enough money through sales to even recoup the cost of their album. The major labels count on that 1 artist who does to sell enough units to make up for the 9 that never make it. There's no other business in the world that can continue to operate at a 90% failure rate. There is so much pressure, and so much politics involved in pushing the right artists (in Cash Money's case, Nicki and Drake basically) to stay viable that if you don't play the politics, you end up in a Lupe Fiasco (or now Weezy) type situation. That's really what made "indie rock" in the 90s, (and later "indie rap" in the 2000s) so attractive in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
My favorite albums this year were:

1. RTJ 2
2. Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
3. Cormega - Mega Philosophy (Industry is one of my favorite songs/singles of the year)
4. The Doppelgangaz - Peace Kehd
5. Mobb Deep - The Infamous Mobb Deep, Prodigy - The Most Infamous, Prodigy & Alchemist - Albert Einstein, Havoc - 13 (Reloaded)
6. Illmatic XX just kidding.

Also, shouts out to Deniro Farrar, Statik Selektah for the What Goes Around compilation, Dilated Peoples's Masters of Photography, Pharoahe Monch's album, Stepbrother's Lord Steppington, Homeboy Sandman's album, Blu - Good to Be Home, and Slaine's album.

36 Months just appeared on Spotify today, so I'll probably have to redo this list.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 10, 2014

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

I am so excited for this I can't even really put it into words. Any info on who produced it or played on it? Is he still with Palladino and Quest? I'm really, REALLY trying not to get my expectations up to high for this, but he and the band put on such an amazing show at Bonnaroo last year, it's hard not to get all giddy about this.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't know about Quest, but his backing band for the album is Pino Palladino, Jesse Johnson, Isaiah Sharkey, Pookie Sample and John Blackwell.

Oh my god, this is really happening.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
I just heard Wocka say Walaika Salaam, al-Salaam Salakim, Arm Leg Leg Arm Head over the It Ain't Hard to Tell Beat. What kind of weird dream am I in?

edit: ^I listened to RATKING. I thought it was strong as gently caress.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 29, 2014

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Did anyone else see Dumb and Dumber To? I don't feel like it had the heart and soul of the original classic, I didn't like it.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
drat I didn't get a chance to hear that before it got took down. I have a question for you guys that probably nobody knows the answer to, but gently caress it. According to my Spotify Pastor Troy put out between 5 or 6 full albums in 2014, depending if you count the group one. The dude has like 30 albums on there now. Is there a single solitary track on any of them anywhere as good as his first two albums? Or does he just put out poo poo and hope people get confused and buy it? What's up with dude?

I love his first two albums so goddamn much tho, still to this day I never get sick of them. Frustrating artist.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Me too, but $150? The gently caress out of here. I'd rather rasterbate one (is that still a thing?)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1cOnqZsFo

Gucci Mayweather

I'd love to see him put the paws on your favorite rapper

I always thought Waka would wear him out for some reason, but I've gotta say that Gucci has nice form. Especially his jab and left hook when he puts together 123 combos. Right overhand got a little sluggish but looks devastating. Also was impressed that he was able to switch from back and forth from southpaw to regular so easily. Legitimately impressed.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

A3th3r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vD3wFz0ET4
this references a bunch of my favorite things so i like it. Death to the all the Fakers yo

I don't know how really "#gfunk" it was but awesome track, so who cares. I LOLed at "yall probably drop it like it's hot for a 40 rock." If there was more rap was like this I would listen to rap more.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

THNDRTHF posted:

also that Mick Jenkins tape goes hard AF but what's the "JAZZ" sample and why am I going crazy trying to place it???

This drove me crazy all night last night too. I found where we both heard it before... THIS loving awesome song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCjzkQA-P4M

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

I feel like he's throwing darts at somebody but I'm not smart enough to figure out who.

I AM BRAWW posted:

https://soundcloud.com/lupefiasco/adoration-of-the-magi

The production and beat on this is sick.

Tomorrow Sremmlife is dropping. Has anyone listened to it yet?

This Lupe is incredible. That's some nice lovely elegant smooooothed the gently caress-out production, and the 3rd verse is some mind bending poo poo. It's definitely "good Lupe," I'm not his biggest fan but when he hits, he HITS.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 7, 2015

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

thathonkey posted:

next thing you know alansmithee is gonna say he was wrong about gucci :laugh:

anyway, i've gotten around to listening to this black messiah album by d'angelo. not sure but i think it fits in this thread? it's one of the most unique things i've heard in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoxdPGu_4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsQwJfWzoI

The man is an amazing creative force. To me, he's more than just an R&B hero. D is a drat rock star, or at least he should've been- if he started his career in the 60's, he would've been just as important as anyone else in soul/funk/rock music.. And he's got some of the best live performance footage I've ever seen, from Voodoo-era concerts at Montreaux with the Soulquarians, to Bonnaroo last year covering Sly, Funkadelic, and the Beatles. It's too bad he's not been more prolific, but unfortunately he's got a lot of well documented personal issues.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Kenshin posted:

drat that's good

Am I on ghost probation or something? Let me run a test:

DANNY BROWN SUCKS BALLS.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

TheFallenEvincar posted:

does all live music have a "random dude right next to the lead singer constantly filling in every few verses" because that has consistently been my bad "live hip hop" experience. especially with Nas.

I swear Nas is one of the worst live performers I've ever "seen." Seen is in quotes because I've never seen him live, but I've watched a million videos and I've never seen him complete even half a verse without someone having to shout his own lyrics for him. I dunno if he just does a bunch of punch-ins on his albums, or if too much piff has ruined his breath control.

edit: Think about if a rock group tried to do that. Like "aww my hands are too tired to finish this guitar solo, so I'm just gonna have my mans finish it for me instead."

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm sure Bobby Shmurda has had a whole lot of singing lessons and does vocal exercises daily to be able to rappity-rap for the entire length of a live performance :jerkbag:. Of course, it's the same thing as the guy who has been playing guitar for 20 years.

No, but Nas is like 40. Plenty of time to learn how to, well, rap in a live setting. Maybe Bobby Shmurda should use his jail time to do vocal lessons so that he can be a good live performer when he gets out. All I am trying to say, Braww, is that I consider rappers to be musicians and that some of them should take their craft more seriously.

And I stand by my rock star analogy. Just like that Lars Ulrich comment.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

I like to pretend that this is a picture of Guwop doing a presentation in front of his class.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Rap tours used to be so good.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
I really liked Niggy Tardust too, I'm going to go back and revisit it. Re: Kendrick, what do people think of Section.80? Seems like a lot of people don't talk about it. It wasn't a mixtape or anything, was it? I even think a couple of songs on there were better than anything on GKMC (ADHD, HiiPower, Kush & Corinthians). As far as I'm concerned K.Dot has two great concept albums under his belt already, so the ONLY thing (except for "I") that makes me worry about his next album is the fact that he's famous now. Not being hungry and having a lot of "yes men" around you and in the studio have ruined many a great rapper's careers.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KRNVKc1YY
El-P and Killer Mike are the best role models for children :allears:

Aw, that was cool. IMO El-P getting involved in southern rap was one of the neatest and most unexpected things in the last few years, and man he couldn't have teamed up with a better rapper than Mike. I've been a fan of both for a loooooooong time and it's just great.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

temple posted:

Kanye is an attractive man.
You really think so?

thathonkey posted:

ehh why is paul mccartney even on that song though?
I guess they couldn't find anyone else to play simple acoustic guitar? His hands don't even match the sounds in the video, lol. They shoulda got ringo instead, I always thought he had a cool voice. :)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Unimaginative use of that Drugs/Xxplosive sample. Rapping about taking 3 bars at once, plus drinking. I'm not a prude, and I eat a ton of Xanax, but this song is irresponsible and they should feel bad for making it.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

temple posted:

Yeah, Kanye is handsome. He has hard and soft qualities.

Cool. What are your favorite physical attributes of his?

bows1 posted:

I mean first of all, editing a music video like that doesn't always mean that the hands have to match up, doesn't really discount the fact that Im pretty sure he wrote the guitar and the organ parts. Also, who wouldn't want to collaborate with arguably the greatest pop artist of all time?

and Yes Im a huge Beatles stan.

are you trying to tell me music videos aren't real?? gtfo. :mad:

I'm a big, big Beatles fan too but that was just some basic guitar and organs. And why didn't Paul sing anything? If it's going to be FEAT. PAUL MCCARTNEY he should at least sing or do something other then play some lame guitar chords over and over. gently caress it let him program the beats, he's made house music before.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 4, 2015

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

temple posted:

His eyes and jawline.

Welp you got me there- the man does have an impressive jawline, especially for having it all broke to poo poo.

also stop slut shaming me you patriarchs.

edit-

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think he does some backing vocals but yeah. The songs are fine, I guess. Some people I know are saying that Kanye and Rihanna have saved country music with that song and I have no idea what the gently caress they are on about.

"People" as in more than one person? thats the dumbest thing ive heard all day. saved it from what, being one of the most popular genres in music? plus if any rapper "saved country music" it's Nelly. And Kid Rock, lol.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 5, 2015

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

I AM BRAWW posted:

Everyones favourite white rapper dropped another video/track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ch1FUVupR8

Oh neat, he got another face tattoo!

Hey guys I was just a thinking about something. Is Lil Wayne gay now since he made out with Baby and they aren't gonna be Daddy and Son anymore???

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Agree with the commentors that 2 Chainz seems kind of depressed/bored with his life. Definitely the oddest episode yet.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

zeldadude posted:

uh I don't know if this belongs here or in NMD but I'll just post it in both!

Anyone have any suggestions other than jay dee for some producers with this sort of style? Instrumentals are best but not necessary!

Ayatollah - People Get Ready
http://youtu.be/fGR1-XhSpJ0
Thanks dudes :)

Hey Trey, what's up? I'll type up some good rec's tomorrow. BTW you all should know that zeldadude is gangster as fucc. :)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
I feel like something happened to Method Man's voice/flow in 1997, and although he still put out classic albums and records after that he wasn't as ill as he was the first time you heard him.

While we're talking about the old-school (and Necro), Kool G Rap literally hasn't changed at all since 1988, and I love him for it.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Luda came and performed at my university back when I was in school, it was great. DEFINATELY go see Juicy J, how is that even a question?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Three 6 IS back, it's called Da Mafia 6ix now... they even have Gangsta Boo, it's sweet. RIP Scarecrow. :(

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

TenaciousTomato posted:

can we get some more songs that make us cry please

Z-Ro - No More Pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgsDmMKpDc

Pastor Troy - Move to Mars OR Oh Father OR We Want Some Answers!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GkUw28mIQ
One of the bleakest songs I've ever heard, any genre. It ends with a single gunshot of him killing himself. The three verses just get more and more painful.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

This is medical science

More like malpractice. I love Pinata, still play it regularly. I only bump like 3 joints off ESGN anymore.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

temple posted:

Same, good opinions. Pinata grew on me. Eastside Moonwalker is still dope tho.

Eastside Moonwalker is one of those 3 tracks that I was talking about, great poo poo. Also 187.

As far as Gibbs releases go, I think you guys are forgetting some good ones. I became a fan in 2009 when midwestboxframecaddillacmuzik came out, so it'll probably always be my favorite. After that though, you've got Miseducation, The Label's Tryna Kill Me! (which is really more of a comp, most of the good songs are on Live from Gary, Indiana Pt. 1 and especially Pt. 2.) Then it's probably the Lord Giveth, Lord Taketh Away EP, which I see somebody already mentioned. Cold Day in Hell is great too, but I was living in Miami when the Str8 Killa EP/Straight Killa No Filler dropped, and those were really next level and hold a special place in my heart. I still have Straight Killa No Filla in rotation (Born 2 Roll, 4861 Broadway, SLANGIN ROCKS? Come on now). After all that I probably rank Pinata, then BFK.

And no, I don't go to community college (anymore).

Anyway, have some old Gangsta Gibbs. There's too much to post, obviously, but here are some freestyles that still blow my mind, years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6joWZtBmsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12T7RvHlW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JR2vtlzXo

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2015

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Crumbletron posted:

"Slangin Rocks" is incredible and the only thing he's done since then that really reminds me of it is "G Like Dat" off the Tonite Show tape he did with World's Freshest. That whole tape is actually full of amazing cuts with the only repeat of old material being the one with Problem off BFK.

I'm a huge Gibbs stan so I'm probably biased but I think the most impressive part is just how diverse his releases are, even if each individual one tends to have a similar style that sort of runs together.

I wish he'd do more stuff based on 80s style samples. He did "Thug Till It's Over" with Cookin Soul and I'd eat the hell out of a whole project like that

gently caress yes. I forgot to put The Tonite Show tape in my little rundown post. Smooth-as-gently caress West Coast beats. Agree 100 about Thug Till It's Over, Cookin Soul is (are?) obviously amazing, I'll listen to just about anything they put out. But more Gibbs collabs would be incredible.

Another thing I forgot was Pulled Over by The Cops. Remember that? Pretty amazing supergroup for that time period, to bad nothing ever seemed to come out of it besides Oil Money (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0cNQHXfdPU) and Authority (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhHj2HEVnA).

Whatever happened to Chip tha Ripper? Dude vanished off the face of the planet.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Professor Funk posted:

:siren: new kendrick :siren:

"Just a nappy headed nigga with the world behind him/life ain't poo poo but a fat vagina"

http://www.rap-up.com/2015/03/13/new-music-kendrick-lamar-king-kunta/

I gently caress with this type of poo poo, I hope this starts a trend of funkier hip-hop coming out. He sounds kind of James Brown for the first half of the song.

Only compliant is that these tracks STILL sound over-produced to me. Or under-produced. I don't know, something to do with mastering maybe?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Haven't heard the album yet, but I finally figured out why I don't like "I" or "King Kunta." The funk is too clean and sanitized, it's got no rear end to it. Funk music supposed to be dirty. He should've just had D'Angelo's band produce those two songs. Going on Spotify to try to find it now...

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Polo-Rican posted:

i was a big "i" hater but the album version sounds pretty good... is it common for a single to sound this different from the album version?? it's like a totally different track now.

Wow, you're right. I love this version of "I." To double down on the stupid thing I said earlier, they put some rear end in it. Plus they scraped all that bubble-gum polished poo poo off.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Where have I heard the guitar sample on "Complexion" before? I know it's from one of my favorite songs of all time, but I can't place it and it's driving me crazy.

Edit: I figured it out just after I posted. It's from a live version of Lady by D'Angelo. NEO-SOUL /Fantano

Khagan posted:

Only a matter of time before TPAB gets called Kendrick's Kid A :smithicide:

You just did it, Sgt. Barnes :)

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 19, 2015

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
This new Atlanta/YT/Bąby thing just meąns that Pimp C was right all along. This kind of foolishness never would happen if Chad was around, could you imagine? Too bad illuminati killed him. Just study the lessons, man is the sun and woman is the earth- rap is out of balance and that's why it's not as good anymore. Just my interpretation, of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Henchman of Santa posted:

If anyone's bored and not doing anything, Action Bronson's Coachella set is streaming. Raekwon and Ghostface in an hour.

Guess I missed Brons but I'm definately going to watch Rae and Ghost. And probably Tame Impala and Ride, too.