Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

thathonkey posted:

Good call on bringing R&B into the mix but I resent that the OP says Atlanta isnt really the south. That better have been one of the "tongue and cheek" parts :colbert:

When I get off the airplane in Atlanta what time is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

In line for Yung Lean. So many white kids ok bucket hats. One drinking Arizona. Will report back later.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Wezlar posted:

In line for Yung Lean. So many white kids ok bucket hats. One drinking Arizona. Will report back later.

Despite all the bucket hats, show was actually unbelievable somehow. I guess I'm a fan now?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Neu! posted:

You wouldn't think that some depressed kid with a tumblr rapping about nintendo games and iced tea would make for a pleasurable listening experience, but the beats are on point, and his newer material isn't as poorly executed. Its hard to believe that Kyoto has over 2 million views. I wouldnt have expected that when all of his videos were still in the five figure range, judging by his original mixtape.

Yeah the beats are definitely the highlight. Honestly I didn't expect the kid to have any stage presence at all, especially after watching the videos but he absolutely rocked the show.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Slackerish posted:

Was Bladee performing with him?

Yung Gud and Bladee were both there

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ah yes I'm glad that after 5 editions of the thread someone has finally come to drop some knowledge on us about the Wu-Tang Clan.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yo! NDM Raps (Remix) - Seven pages in and no talk about Ja Rule?

https://www.pleasehelpmejarule.com greatest website on the internet.

Thread Saved

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The best part of that video is Red One completely jacking the Big Sean flow. WHO THE gently caress JACKS BIG SEANS FLOW

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah. I love State vs Radric Davis and Burrprint 3D but I can't be bothered to check for the dudes new stuff. Even if I want to listen to some different Gucci I throw on one of his like 10 2009 tapes

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

How rock hard do you get when you get to hate on Gucci? I'm pretty sure the article said he talks to these guys every day to work on putting these mixtapes together. If you listened to the songs it's pretty obvious they aren't just taking random verses and putting them together on the same song.

I mean, they are taking verses that were recorded a while ago and not good enough to be on the previous Gucci tapes and mashing them together to form new Gucci songs. I don't think this is really even debatable? I mean there's obviously some selection process involved but no one is checking for this stuff except hardcore Gucci fans.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

First two Lupe albums are amazing.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah both the song and video are awesome.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I know he's not huge in 2014 but I'm pretty sure Gibbs is more of a nobody than Freeway

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Nice to see Problem and YG on the same track again, guess that beef is over?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Young little thug wayne

The chance that Young Thug didn't ghostwrite this is basically 0.001%

edit: I would believe Drake wrote his verse though because dude is pretty much the master of jumping on someone elses track and jacking their flow.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 8, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Anaranjado posted:

Any recommendations on where to start with slim thug? I could probably listen to him recite his favorite recipes and enjoy it

Already Platinum is good but really commercial and Neptunes sounding as opposed to really Houston sounding. Boss of All Bosses is an awesome album. Someone else can help you with mixtapes because I don't really know anything about that to be honest.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Flatbush Zombies and the Underachievers announced their collab finally! Clockwork Indigo

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Holy gently caress that song is terrible.

Just a reminder that Nicki actually used to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zbadho47U

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

They're all ok but that's not really what the kids are listening to Gramps.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rush_shirt posted:

Hmm. Your avatar suggests that you are a "big idiot" and that your post was "bad." However, I am told that these days "bad" actually means "good," so I will have to take your word for it.

What about Childish Gambino, Shabazz Palaces, and Big K.R.I.T.?

My post was indeed bad but this is the new stupid newbie avatar. I've been rocking that thing for 9 years :(

If you're into Black Milk check out his collab with Danny Brown (black and brown) and if you like that then Dannys album XXX is amazing, and his most recent album Old won a lot of end of the year praise last year despite being kind of meh on repeat listens imo. Old also sounds a lot more EDM.

For KRIT I would start with his first two mixtapes KRIT Wuz Here and Return of Forever because I think they're still his strongest work. His debut album was pretty lackluster and his sound tally hasn't evolved much since then.

I can't really help with any of the others.

Edit: I have to admit that despite him getting a lot of praise in the thread I still haven't checked out Armand Hammer because I think that might be legitimately the stupidest rap name ever. And I love puns.

Edit2: oh and 90% of people hate Childish Gambino in this thread but I don't mind 3005 or Heartbeat or his songs with Chance the Rapper (whose mixtape you should check out its called Acid Rap).

Temple will tell you that Because the Internet is a 5 mic masterpiece though

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 21, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

This song isn't even terrible but the beat is so bad.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I loved Lupe's first two albums so much that I just can't deal with what he is now.

edit:

Anaranjado posted:

Followup to the mayweather-50 thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7vskxj22-1c

Brutal.

Pretty classy using the tape you recorded of him promoting a charity to make the dude look bad.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 23, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Waka has been loving fire lately.

Even if Juicy J sold out like loving hell I've been kinda loving it. Dude made Katy Perry tolerable and featured on a song about ninja turtles and was the best verse by about 10 miles (competing with Wiz and Ty Dolla $ign), I still dig it

I mean, his last two actual projects are both great. I'm happy for the guy that he's getting pop music money after a pretty long career.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ive hated chris brown probably since i was aware he was a person but loyal was a fuckin jam and this song with kendrick is also very cool. still having a hard time separating the music from the dude but this song is good.

I wouldn't say I'm a Chris Brown fan or anything but the guy has some decent songs and I can't really be bothered to care about his personal life when half the poo poo I listen to is about being crack dealing murderers.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I have no idea how Q managed to get 2 Chainz to feature on a Mike Will beat and somehow made the least radio friendly song on his album (this is a slight exaggeration)

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Khagan posted:

He is usually around for Freddie Gibbs discussion.

What is the next big release this thread is waiting for?

There is nothing left, 2014 sucks.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't like Gucci as much as a lot of thread regulars but he has a signature sound, a great ear for beats, is somehow one of the better dudes at breaking out new artists and he has a prolific catalogue.

Oh and regardless of what anyone says he can also rap his rear end off when he wants to.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The Hangover is my favourite Flatbush Zombies track and I was kind of disappointed it wasn't on Better Off Dead! But I edited it in so whatever I guess!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I feel like Q just sort of went in the wrong direction and Soulo didn't have enough direction and also didn't get any push/isn't signed to a major(not that that has anything to do with the quality of his album).

edit: Actually that's probably not really it with Q. Because his stuff that was more pop oriented was actually pretty good (Collard Greens, Man of the Year) it's just that aside from a couple tracks the rest of the album fell flat. I still have no idea how he managed to make a song that will never be played on the radio with 2 Chainz and Mike Will (and thought that was a good idea)

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 23, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

everything you need to know about vice

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like Yung Lean but I don't think I'd ever describe him as self critical.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

bows1 posted:

I thought he was for HBA and against Been Trill? Only listened to it once when I was hungover so I could be mistaken.

He is against both.

I like the song it is cool.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Dreams is the best Game song because it actually puts his name dropping to good use.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was hoping that link was this so badly
http://youtu.be/HksJCN5YPSc

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Song is ok but Wayne pretty much brings nothing to the table. I really dislike when guys jump on a song with someone else(or a remix especually) and just do their flow.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Just curious, I dont even know if this exists. Do you guys know any fusions of folk/acoustic music and rap? I love horrocore but have been trying to expand into other genres of rap, and I was wondering if it ever fused with folk music (which I also love) or bluegrass. Just testing the waters, it might not. Thanks guys!

This is a local song that I thought of that maybe fits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghVHNrNbpII

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

echronorian posted:

I dunno how anyone could want to hear more than a few minutes of that concept.

People on my Facebook keep linking this loving awful final fantasy 6 x wu tang clan Mashup album so nothing surprises me anymore

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I can see saying RTJ is overhyped. Its an album that falls into a really weird place where it's almost unanimously liked but a lot of people who really enjoyed it don't think it a really GREAT album. But based on the unanimous praise (because it is good and has great energy and everyone likes El-P and Killer Mike) you'd think it was better than it is.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Young Thug is a god drat genius. He put out like 4 mixtapes and got nothing but then Danny glover caught on and he put on a skity and everyone in the world is talking about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

alansmithee posted:

As a totally unrelated aside, Yung Lean's album is better than I first thought. Don't get me wrong I'd really want his production team to work with other people but his songs are solid in their own right. I didn't mind it before but it's grown on me a lot.
I didn't like Unknown Memory as much as Unknown Death at first but I think it's actually a really good album. What Lean lacks as a rapper (which is a lot) he definitely makes up for by having a vision for his music and a cohesive sound. And amazing production. Yung Sherm, Gud, and Whitearmor are amazing. I'm also surprised Kyoto didn't make the album.