Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

if i squint my eyes hard enough i could see schools purchasing dells because they're dumb, but woe to the person who thinks buying anything hp is a good loving choice.
I don't really like EliteDesks but the dumb schools (I work in Academia and my group does everything from CJ poo poo up to supercomputers) that bought them before we picked up their support thankfully have not had too many problems

Optiplexes are perfectly fine past the god-loving-awful old clamshell ones which we have forcefully depreciated out of the schools that don't have/like spending money and foisted them on their poor grad students

The HP workstations seem to be fine; still prefer precisions though

Apple and HP to an extent really can't hold a candle to Dell support* though

turnaround is ridiculously quick and bullshit free

*if you're paying whatever ridiculous amount I can't recall for it like we are

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005 for one lab and the new media senior blowoff class i took where we edited videos in imovie, learned chroma keying and made websites and things with them was the best fuckin class ever.
I had a similar class in 2001 and we played with premiere and lightwave and it was pretty fun

the teacher had replaced all of the puck mouses though thank god

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005 for one lab and the new media senior blowoff class i took where we edited videos in imovie, learned chroma keying and made websites and things with them was the best fuckin class ever.

same

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this thread became something more than i could ever have dreamed

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

is the staunch windows cj becoming the new greybeard

"windows xp is all anyone will ever need" --- bill s. gates, 1997

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

XP was a pretty good operating system but they should have charged for service packs like crapple :iamafag: :toot: :iamafag: :chord:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Fabricated posted:

I don't really like EliteDesks but the dumb schools (I work in Academia and my group does everything from CJ poo poo up to supercomputers) that bought them before we picked up their support thankfully have not had too many problems

Optiplexes are perfectly fine past the god-loving-awful old clamshell ones which we have forcefully depreciated out of the schools that don't have/like spending money and foisted them on their poor grad students

The HP workstations seem to be fine; still prefer precisions though

Apple and HP to an extent really can't hold a candle to Dell support* though

turnaround is ridiculously quick and bullshit free

*if you're paying whatever ridiculous amount I can't recall for it like we are
I had a similar class in 2001 and we played with premiere and lightwave and it was pretty fun

the teacher had replaced all of the puck mouses though thank god

[rage] A ticket came in!

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Working in academic tech must be frustrating as all hell.

I've seen leaders-in-their-field lecturers fumble about with projectors and windows 7.

I can see the post grad students, all of whom seem to be using a surface tablet with a keyboard, rubbing their faces in mute frustration.

Not to mention our intranet has an incredibly poorly designed user interface. You can tell that half the things the designers put in there with thoughtful consideration are left simply unused.

Case in point, there is a tab that opens up our timetables, or is labelled as such, but all there is is a straight up hyperlink to a page where you have to log into the system again to get it.

Or the 'podcasts' tab which no lecturer appears to know how to use, and instead just copy pastes the iTunes link at the bottom of a great big walk of text in the module area.

I get the feel that you work in hardware, but still, working in academic tech departments must loving suck.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ocrassus posted:

working in the hard-money side as opposed to the soft-money side is wayyyyy better

pay part time undergrads to support soft-money, tia

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ocrassus posted:

I've seen leaders-in-their-field lecturers fumble about with projectors and windows 7.

I can see the post grad students, all of whom seem to be using a surface tablet with a keyboard, rubbing their faces in mute frustration.

Not to mention our intranet has an incredibly poorly designed user interface. You can tell that half the things the designers put in there with thoughtful consideration are left simply unused.

Case in point, there is a tab that opens up our timetables, or is labelled as such, but all there is is a straight up hyperlink to a page where you have to log into the system again to get it.

Or the 'podcasts' tab which no lecturer appears to know how to use, and instead just copy pastes the iTunes link at the bottom of a great big walk of text in the module area.

I get the feel that you work in hardware, but still, working in academic tech departments must loving suck.
It's a living

and yeah I'm in the hardware and licensing end of things now but our group does p much everything so the 'lol ur a literal cj' thing is only partially right and we send our poor student workers to do like 90% of that poo poo

that's basically all correct except for the part with the surfaces- those actually seem to work pretty well for our users believe it or not. I have this feeling they'll turn into a debacle as they age but I'm resigned to it because we have a lot of people ordering them. I just had an order of 20 Surface Pros arrive last week. :shepface:

MBPs generally work okay for our users (this is a major STEM uni focused on engineering) but only for users who know how to bootcamp...which is a depressingly small amount of users

I was pretty indifferent to Mac poo poo really for a long time but of all our users the people who are really, really insistent on being Apple Ecosystem only are the most infuriatingly stupid and belligerent of our users who are normally otherwise p cool/interesting people so I have reflexively started to bristle when people try to insist on Apple products when they are way, way not suitable for the Engineering wing of Academia unless you seriously want to spend the money/time on stuff like xenapp

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005

there's uh

there's something i have to tell you about emacs

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

MBPs generally work okay for our users

can someone, anyone, please loving tell me how to bind an MBP to an AD domain so the password will work for 30 days not connected to the hardwire network

please for the love of god

Fabricated posted:

stuff like xenapp

i wish the usb forwarding was more robust, imagine an elvis board going thru xenapp to an instance of labview :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

can someone, anyone, please loving tell me how to bind an MBP to an AD domain so the password will work for 30 days not connected to the hardwire network

as far as domain macs go the only winning move is to not play

and i did not know about the usb fowarding thing in xenapp; that'd be a deal-breaker for like half the people I support

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

as far as domain macs go the only winning move is to not play

and i did not know about the usb fowarding thing in xenapp; that'd be a deal-breaker for like half the people I support

-no, i've seen it on the internet. theres a way to do CLI kerberos poo poo but im bad at that

-it works via thin/zero clients tho (i think) e: usb passthrough only works for poo poo like thumb drives. it should really be way, way more robust

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

getting a mac server to run directory services is your only option, no AD features on osx/linux other than normal binding because MS is dumb

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
we have dell workstations at work and they're super burly and I have no problems with em

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

we have dell workstations at work and they're super burly and I have no problems with em

don't sign ur posts rawr

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
To be fair I have been considering a surface pro 2.

Only to use as a graphics tablet though, it has a built in screen which I much prefer on graphics tabs and I tend to work on one of those cheap Wacom bamboo things ATM.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ocrassus posted:

To be fair I have been considering a surface pro 2.

Only to use as a graphics tablet though, it has a built in screen which I much prefer on graphics tabs and I tend to work on one of those cheap Wacom bamboo things ATM.

ive never used a surface 2 but i have used the surface 1 at work and if its anything remotely similar its exactly what you would expect from a windows tablet ui and NOT a graphics tablet with screen like a cintiq

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol @ a literal school janitor having a superiority complex over anything

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you can now preorder a Windows version of that camera thing that microsoft dropped from the xbox one

for $200

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Sniep posted:

ive never used a surface 2 but i have used the surface 1 at work and if its anything remotely similar its exactly what you would expect from a windows tablet ui and NOT a graphics tablet with screen like a cintiq

The surface 2 has the fancy Wacom digitiser in it though. surely it can be a decent graphics tablet?

edit actually nevermind, read some anandtech and it turns out the latency is awful.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is surface 2 the one where the windows button accidentally gets mashed when ppl try to draw with it lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

is surface 2 the one where the windows button accidentally gets mashed when ppl try to draw with it lol

That's the 3rd one where they had to have Gabe from Penny Arcade point it out of all things, then after scowling at the problem for a while they made a patch to turn the button off with the stylus in use

then said it'd "be hard to roll out" to general users

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ocrassus posted:

The surface 2 has the fancy Wacom digitiser in it though. surely it can be a decent graphics tablet?

edit actually nevermind, read some anandtech and it turns out the latency is awful.
:aaaaa:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Ocrassus posted:

if you don't want to shell out for a cintiq you could get one of those monoprice tablets

just make sure you leave your wacom driver installed if you use photoshop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

if you don't want to shell out for a cintiq you could get one of those monoprice tablets

just make sure you leave your wacom driver installed if you use photoshop

ffffært

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that SaaS has basically realized sun's 90s dream of the NC

except that now the NC part is irrelevant because you can use a phone or tablet or thick client as your terminal based on convenience

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005
congrats on your school for buying not only the last crt all-in-ones ever made but buying powerpc mere months before the intel transition

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i love that SaaS has basically realized sun's 90s dream of the NC

except that now the NC part is irrelevant because you can use a phone or tablet or thick client as your terminal based on convenience

the network is the computer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pram posted:

the network is the computer

my god ... mcnealy was right all along ...

too bad he ran a computer company and not a network company, dude really shoulda seen that one comin imo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ocrassus posted:

lmao if u already use a $100 wacom bamboo and trust anandtech for a review of a drawing tablet u are probably better off just sticking to the cheapest option available. spending more money wont help u, just get good w/ the things u already have

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

graph posted:

er isn't that just the checkbox for 'create mobile account'

or does that not last 30 whole days

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

api call girl posted:

no

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

api call girl posted:

or does that not last 30 whole days

thats an apple directory services feature for an osx client in an osx domain. the question is how to get the same thing to work for osx in a windows environment and the answer get MS to work on openldap

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

XP was a pretty good operating system but they should have charged for service packs like crapple :iamafag: :toot: :iamafag: :chord:

they sort-of did with the first one; if you installed with FCKGW and possibly some other mass-pirated keys you couldn't install service pack 1. microsoft got raked over the coals for that move since a ton of chinese pcs still run windows xp rtm and are basically botnet central, especially since xp rtm has vulnerabilities that only require an open connection to the internet without a firewall (i think pc's get infected within about 90 seconds)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

the answer get MS to work on openldap

pretty sure central has this, this is why the kerberos thing seems like it would work

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

thats an apple directory services feature for an osx client in an osx domain. the question is how to get the same thing to work for osx in a windows environment and the answer get MS to work on openldap

what i'm saying is

if i flick that checkbox on our mac build

it caches that user's login credentials like you would expect a windows laptop to do by default on our ms domain

that's how we preconfigure our mbps for the handful of people that have them

we don't have an os x server on this side of the firewall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we are going to get rid of our imacs because osx is so incredibly problematic for doing anything other than browsing websites very slowly.

• Locked thread