Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is Get Even any good? I got it in a humble bundle. The trailers reminded me a bit of FEAR, but apparently the gunplay is kinda poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is Get Even any good? I got it in a humble bundle. The trailers reminded me a bit of FEAR, but apparently the gunplay is kinda poo poo?

I'd say yes, with the expectation that it's quite a short game and you may want to wait for a sale when it's not $30.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thank god, I can no longer stand long 20+ hour games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

blackguy32 posted:

Some interesting stuff about the Alien AI from Alien Isolation in this video. There is also another video that explains stuff as well. I really enjoyed watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d5lF6U0eQ

No wonder the Alien feels so alive, they did such a great job with this. Ugh, shame this engine and AI is never getting used again for a sequel.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I thought Sega had greenlit a sequel?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I thought Sega had greenlit a sequel?

They sort of did.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/29/alien-blackout-review-this-is-how-you-do-a-mobile-spinoff/

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 26, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That's more of a Five Nights at Freddy's game than an actual sequel to the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And that's the only sequel we're getting! :suicide:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

That is probably all we are going to get since the people who made Alien Isolation are no longer with Creative Assembly and it does pick up where A:I left off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's more of a Five Nights at Freddy's game than an actual sequel to the game.

More like Night Trap than FNAF

Each level has different plates to spin and there's different characters to protect and different endings based on who you save

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been playing Alien: Isolation 2: Blackout: Big Chap Wants to Touch You and it’s honestly not bad. There’s a lot more mileage in it than FNAF. My one quibble is that it absolutely drains my iPad battery. Way more than other ‘big’ games like XCOM or Civ6.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How is the survivor mode on Alien Isolation? Is it any good?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

sigher posted:

No wonder the Alien feels so alive, they did such a great job with this. Ugh, shame this engine and AI is never getting used again for a sequel.

Related, there's some neat videos on Youtube about Half-Life's characters' behaviors, it's pretty nuts how much stuff there's under the hood:

https://youtu.be/9jO-P3kXlCI

Enemies having smelling behaviors, gibbed corpses smelling for a certain period of time and NPCs commenting on it, cockroaches avoiding light.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 26, 2020

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Oh goodness, Dead by Daylight have Pyramid Head & Heather Mason as their next character pack. May actually have to buy a copy of this DLC to show that PLEASE DO SOME SILENT HILL KONAMI

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is Call of Cthulhu worth $12 or not even really that?

Really, I'd much rather toss $20 at Sinking City, but that game, even with the Epic discount, is still JUST above my pricepoint, especially if I want the likely completely useless DLC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CoC (heh) has decent atmosphere but it plays the Lovecraft stuff by the book and has been done to death with nothing really new to add. Probably okay for 12 bucks

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1265355355963318277

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

davidspackage posted:

Related, there's some neat videos on Youtube about Half-Life's characters' behaviors, it's pretty nuts how much stuff there's under the hood:

https://youtu.be/9jO-P3kXlCI

Enemies having smelling behaviors, gibbed corpses smelling for a certain period of time and NPCs commenting on it, cockroaches avoiding light.

The original HL? This is blowing my mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think I got my fill on EYE. It was nice knowing how to actually play it and I wish I gave it the time of day 10 years ago but if every mission is as long and meandering as the first I think I got everything I want out of the game.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Has anyone played the ObsCure games? They were completely off my radar when they were first released and the remasters are 75% off on Steam. Looks like they might be fun in an RE 2 kind of way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Has anyone played the ObsCure games? They were completely off my radar when they were first released and the remasters are 75% off on Steam. Looks like they might be fun in an RE 2 kind of way.

Haven’t played them in over 10 years but I definitely enjoyed them with the expectation that they’re knockoff RE games.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

al-azad posted:

Haven’t played them in over 10 years but I definitely enjoyed them with the expectation that they’re knockoff RE games.

I love the Obscure games. They're investigative horror where the characters you play are a bunch of school kids, multiple endings, etc. Very well done, and the controls were better than RE at the time (Pre-4) but the camera angles were just as bad.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I really enjoyed obscure. It basically comes across as something like The Faculty or Buffy the survival horror games.

Also I am enjoying the hell out of Observation right now. It’s so well put together and the aesthetic and atmosphere is so loving good.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Obscure also has a chef's kiss perfect classical-style spooky piano type of soundtrack, which is a little at odds with its cheesiness, but still great. I like the first one more than the second.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Play them with a friend who likes old survival horror games if you can. I remember enjoying my time with it in co-op.

Also it has Remote Play Together now so I guess I'm picking it back up myself.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 27, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danknificent posted:

Obscure also has a chef's kiss perfect classical-style spooky piano type of soundtrack, which is a little at odds with its cheesiness, but still great. I like the first one more than the second.

The first one is a way better game than the second one, and is actually a pretty legit good old-school survival horror game.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks very much for the help guys, sounds like it'd be up my alley so I picked up the pack with both games.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Memnaelar posted:

Is Call of Cthulhu worth $12 or not even really that?

Really, I'd much rather toss $20 at Sinking City, but that game, even with the Epic discount, is still JUST above my pricepoint, especially if I want the likely completely useless DLC.

Sinking City is still $19 on the ps4 store at the moment with the preorder DLC included. I'm having a decent time with it; it nails the atmosphere and sanity aspects pretty well but I'm still in the beginning missions. I'm actually liking it which I didn't expect because I bounced hard off all the Sherlock games.

Call of Cthulhu was...forgettable. As in I played it last Halloween sale and don't remember a drat thing about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Call of Cthulhu is a game where you can track the budget running out in real time. The opening few chapters are pretty strong for an adventure game then you end up in an asylum and it becomes generic horror game #7.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
COC: Dark Corners of the Earth, on the other hand, is absolutely worth experiencing, IMHO. It's janky as hell a lot of the time but it never stops being surprising.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

I wonder if this is the first videogame representation of a furry.

Ineffiable posted:

Was moons of madness any good?

Took me 6 hours with reading everything and exploring, taking my time. It was pretty good.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 27, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

regular mike posted:

COC: Dark Corners of the Earth, on the other hand, is absolutely worth experiencing, IMHO. It's janky as hell a lot of the time but it never stops being surprising.

Never stops being bullshit more like

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Wait wait wait they got remasters?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Wait wait wait they got remasters?
Graphics only by the look of it. There's a widescreen patch easily installable and the game works fine on a modern pc and controller. I gave it an hour or so last night and it looks to be right up my alley. And it's cheap as dirt for a few more days.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I own both on steam and love them both. I was just curious if they got a new remaster, but looking into it, it's the remaster they got when they were ported to the Wii back in the day.

Also Obscure has a secret third game that I can't remember the name of, but it's a cartoony 2D platformer. I'll have to ask my steam friend that is a die hard Obscure fan.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I own both on steam and love them both. I was just curious if they got a new remaster, but looking into it, it's the remaster they got when they were ported to the Wii back in the day.

Also Obscure has a secret third game that I can't remember the name of, but it's a cartoony 2D platformer. I'll have to ask my steam friend that is a die hard Obscure fan.

Final Exam. It originally went with the Obscure-name, but that didn't work well with focus groups apparently.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Those Who Remain hit today and I decided to check it out. I only played about 40 minutes before deciding to refund it. The game is somewhat creepy at first with the enemies staring at you from the darkness and it does have that light-based mechanic I was talking about earlier (albeit static light emplacements rather than the "base-building" I was interested in), but the game kinda falls flat. There's no real threat from the static enemies as long as you carefully check inside doors for switches, linearity is high, there's very little worldbuilding of substance, and puzzles are slightly-but-frustratingly-obtuse in some cases. I only got to slightly past the diner but decided the game wasn't worth playing further.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I recently got a Retropie up and running, any good psx horror games worth checking out?

Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and Silent Hill I've played

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Len posted:

I recently got a Retropie up and running, any good psx horror games worth checking out?

Clock Tower on PlayStation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Len posted:

LSD Dream Emulator. Half joking.