Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

As someone who dislikes it, I understand why people love it: the atmosphere is fantastic in a bleak way, the story is just vague enough and the overall concept of fortifying temporary safe havens is great.

It really comes down to how you feel about the actual gameplay, crafting and poo poo like the line of sight system, all of which is weird enough that the game was always destined to be love it or hate it.

I love the atmosphere and story, I just kinda hate the gameplay. If the gameplay is a chore, it doesn't matter how good your story is, i'm gonna hate it a little bit more for it. It's a loving shame because I looked at darkwood for literally a year or so before going "gently caress it, lets give it a shot, looks cool" and i've bounced off it several times. Probably just isn't for me.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I fuckin' love it and its hard to say why without spoiling but like I said I could probably see why other people might hate it, If you're predisposed to hating survival games you might see the crafting and stuff and be like "EW NO" but really its not that. The point of the hideouts is they part of a two phase gameplay type thing. You got your day mans where you walk out and find gear and mushrooms. Mushrooms are... experience, You generally find mushrooms around spooky set pieces where hosed up poo poo happens, often with a link to a different spooky set piece. Some dark soulsy style quests with some... just, the most hosed uppest npcs.

And you got your night mans, See when come a night you're called back to your cabin or else evil jam devours your legs which... ok whatever, but the developmental DEAL with it is the hideout is where the developer has a convenient place they can gently caress with you, so the hideouts are basically little... spook dispensers, at night you'll either be attacked by monsters or harassed by various kinds of traumatic episode. Weird red lights, savages burning deer on your lawn, knocks on your door leaving you invitations to ghost weddings. hosed up poo poo happens at night (at least till you're outta spooks, than its monsters every night baybee)

So thats the game, you go out, find fun, hosed up poo poo in the world and profit from it. Than go home and get hosed with while you spend some of those profits in order to survive the nights that get increasingly deadly as you move your camp from the major areas, which you will, because nothing regenerates so you'll be forced by resource pressure eventually to ditch and move on down the line.

I think the overhead style and line of sight system works to the games benefit, you play from overhead early GTA style looking down on your characters stylish hat and can only see out the cone of your face and key stuff is obscured when you're not looking. This means combat can be confusing because enemies like to lunge around and get behind you which... sometimes very effective, especially as the game loosens up and enemies start doing other stuff than trying to run you down and bite your face. But the games aware of it too. Some stuff you can 'see' without looking at it like furniture so you can leave a chair by a door and know if something is pushing through by the chair sliding around which... makes sense, you can hear it too and you can presume a chair wouldn't move without input...

But the game knows you'll do this and sometimes just moves chairs while you're not looking... to gently caress with you. because its ALWAYS loving with you.

And I love it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lifeglug posted:

Because gamers will still slurp up utter poo poo like Agony just because it "triggers" the "SJWs," not because it's any good.
Honestly, nobody who has actually played Agony was particularly upset by it. There's not really anything particularly crass or upsetting to be found in it. The real reason it flopped was because it's actually incredibly boring. The only thing I even really remember about it is that it's a very brown game, because absolutely nothing else of any note except for trying to sneak through the same reddish-brown ditches over and over happened in the entire time I played it. A bunch of incredibly generic Hellish imagery straight out of Dante's inferno and otherwise just pretty much nothing. Considering that I spent three hours on that game, this really says something - it's not exactly often that I don't have an opinion about something, but there just really wasn't even anything to have an opinion about. If a game like that hasn't started doing whatever is supposed to be making the SJWs so upset even after three hours of playing it, I'm fairly convinced there just isn't really anything to be found. Agony's entire reputation is pretty much nothing but a marketing ploy, for all I can tell.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Maypole of controversy. The fact you're even still talking about it is evidence enough its working. The game would already be second-deathed if it had to stand up on its own merits but slap some controversial tits in there and the rage will keep it alive regardless of merit.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would like Darkwood much better if I could skip the night sections. They were creepish the first few times, after that it's just getting in the way of my exploring this world. Got to the point were I was just leaping at monsters to die to hurry things up

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I would like Darkwood much better if I could skip the night sections. They were creepish the first few times, after that it's just getting in the way of my exploring this world. Got to the point were I was just leaping at monsters to die to hurry things up

Hmm, I mean you're not wrong in that the spook catalogue isn't large enough per hideout. I think it'd be more effective if not every night had SOMETHING in it. That said they're profitable later. You gain rep for successfully lasting which feeds you the ammo you need for later in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

World Famous W posted:

you’re losing a lot of resources that way, surviving the night earns you sizable rewards

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Plus not gonna lie I actually really like surviving the nights, makin' barricades, thinking about my options. I had a lot of fun laying trails of gasoline beneath doors before barricading them so when the monsters would come and bash on them I'd light 'em up and hear them run and burn into the night. Definitely adding that one to my playbook if I'm ever stalked by a Jason

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oxxidation posted:

you’re losing a lot of resources that way, surviving the night earns you sizable rewards
I know, but i get so booooored.

Its me that's the problem

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I loved what I played of Darkwood but ended up quitting because the constant scarcity of everything made me the bad kind of anxious rather than the good kind of anxious the abominations induced.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you bounced off Darkwood because the nights are boring I want to recommend Teleglitch, a game with a similar style but it's more like top-down survival Quake in pacing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Scrutinized, which is basically a Welcome To The Game sequel I didn't know was being made, is out on steam apparently. I've gotten got twice by the doctor dickhead and I still haven't managed to figure out how he's getting in. :saddowns:

It looks like they took to heart some of the issues in WttG2, there's two difficulty settings and the easier one doesn't have permadeath between nights. I'm really hoping this turns out good but I like it so far.

The description of the bald dude makes it clear that he'll try to get in through your windows if you leave them unlocked, or pick the window lock if the room's lights are off, but the only hint you get about the doctor is to check the cameras. One time he jumped up in front of the camera as a jumpscare but the second game I didn't see hide or hair of him before he poked me.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 6, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It looks really cool, the story/idea behind it sounds way better than what either of the Welcome to the Game ones were as well, especially 2.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I tried to watch John Wolfe play it and by the end of the game's intro I had lost all interest wanting to know about the gameplay elements in the Paralegal Adventures of Little Miss Narc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The intro is a ridiculous text dump but the game itself is a fine plate spinner that’s far less inscrutable than the others as you’re doing actual logic puzzles instead of finding the one link in a wall of text.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

al-azad posted:

The intro is a ridiculous text dump but the game itself is a fine plate spinner that’s far less inscrutable than the others as you’re doing actual logic puzzles instead of finding the one link in a wall of text.

Yeah, playing it myself and was kind of amazed at how long the intro info dump was dragging for, but the game itself is cool, it's like privacy invader + papers please and that's pretty neat.

Also like catching people buying trafficked humans and the main deal being a serial killer and kidnappers is uh, "narc" behavior that's pretty good and cool actually.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
sure, but I could do without the "i wanted to invade privacy ever since I was a kid"/boot licking intro

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Haven't played it, but that sounds like the, uh, wrong kind of creepy for a horror game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Haven't played it, but that sounds like the, uh, wrong kind of creepy for a horror game.

It's a lot less edgy than the last game which had a subplot where you mark the apartments of women so a surgeon could turn them into a literal RealDoll.

e: tbh I really like these games thematically because they imagine the absolute worse in urban fear. In the first game you're being stalked by a kidnapper who knows you're investigating the dark web ring, but coincidentally there's a serial killer on the loose who only comes to your house and has a hard on for murdering people by breaking in through the front door.

The second game is ridiculous: there's the Dollmaker, Agent 47, ding dong door murderer (except this time he just bum rushes you while getting your mail), and two blank-mask wearing turtleneck motherfuckers who want you to acknowledge their presence but immediately face the opposite direction. All of these people just hanging around your apartment are dead silent and extremely good at ambushing you.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

It's a lot less edgy than the last game which had a subplot where you mark the apartments of women so a surgeon could turn them into a literal RealDoll.
This really isn't doing anything to change my mind there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah WttG2 veered way too into 2edgy4me shock horror and I'm glad he toned it back down a bit. The computer part is pretty fun too and reminds me of an old game called Spycraft. I still can't keep this drat doctor out of my house though :saddowns:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

This really isn't doing anything to change my mind there.

In its defense the games are completely bloodless, they're tamer than episode of Law and Order. Welcome 2 is real edgy in its content but it's incredible how much restraint is evident in them especially in a genre not known for subtlety, and I think it's part of why there's such a cult following for these.

e: Steam actually banned the game by accident because they thought the portraits (AI generated from thispersondoesnotexist) were real people. It was supposed to come out last week.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, I'll take your word for it. I admit, I'm a bit prejudiced against fiction which uses sex-themed violence as a shock effect. It strikes me as disrespectful in a bad way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aside from the Doll Maker, who is a secret killer and has to be instigated (and there's no way to "defeat" him so it's the player's fault) there's nothing really objectionable content wise which owes a lot to the restraint of the series. The villains of the first two games are basically a cult of gamergaters who kidnap women for Most Dangerous Game hunts on the deep web.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely still not the game I would particularly enjoy to play, but it doesn't sound as blatantly awful as I was afraid it would be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd be more interested in these types of games if it didn't have the Five Night at Freddys thing going on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd be more interested in these types of games if it didn't have the Five Night at Freddys thing going on.

It's why I'm more interested in watching people fumble through them, it's hilarious, but this newest one has a casual mode that doesn't make the game a one-run play through.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of watching people fumble through horror games, who are the good YouTube lpers for weird/scary games who don't mug it up for the camera too much?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Alpha Beta Gamer is literally just game footage.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of watching people fumble through horror games, who are the good YouTube lpers for weird/scary games who don't mug it up for the camera too much?

John Wolfe is pretty good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Alpha Beta Gamer is amazing for that kind of thing

WttG2 did have a lot of edge to it, but it was a plastic edge- it was surprisingly restrained about all its hosed up content, and didn’t take itself TOO seriously (going by the secret ending) and I appreciate that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Kravin is good and also not a total rear end in a top hat like John Wolfe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

It's why I'm more interested in watching people fumble through them, it's hilarious, but this newest one has a casual mode that doesn't make the game a one-run play through.

Oh yeah in terms of watching a streamer it's funnier but I'd be more interested in a designer making the "meat" of the game the scary/unnerving part.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay seriously has anyone actually SEEN this drat doctor on the cameras because I check like every 20 seconds and he still gets in. I don't know if I'm missing him or what :shepface:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Manly badass hero does calm commentary for a wide variety of games (but mostly smaller indie stuff alphabetagamer plays) but without face cam and he's really thorough. I am biased because he covered a jam game of mine and was real kind about it.

https://twitter.com/ManlyBadassHero/status/1285411488493195264

Danaru posted:

Okay seriously has anyone actually SEEN this drat doctor on the cameras because I check like every 20 seconds and he still gets in. I don't know if I'm missing him or what :shepface:

You can see him creeping on the camera but he's Foxy fast, you're already dead.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 6, 2020

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

[snip]....am biased because he covered a jam game of mine and was real kind about it.

https://twitter.com/ManlyBadassHero/status/1285411488493195264

You did that game jam one? Nice work, that was pretty neat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Professor of Cats posted:

You did that game jam one? Nice work, that was pretty neat.

Thanks. It was fun watching people who have apparently never operated a motor vehicle before struggle with it then MBH just sleeps through it lol.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My recommendations for horror game LPers:

John Wolfe - cynical, doesn't mug, is basically jaded with a lot of horror game conventions and is mostly just annoyed when he finds himself playing a bad game or a good game that takes a massive dive into poo poo.

Mr Kravin - optimistic, endearing, doesn't mug for the camera, tends to enjoy even bad horror games if he finds them cute in how hard they're trying to scare him.

ManlyBadassHero - chill, tends to be a completionist, doesn't even use a facecam outside of a couple of special vids, overall does a good job showcasing games while talking over them.

AlphaBetaGamer - just straight up game footage, no talking, I don't think they always show everything in a game but they're good if you just want to see footage without any voice.

CJUGames - not overly optimistic like Mr Kravin but not full on cynic like John Wolfe, he covers games and doesn't use a facecam for most of the video and will generally categorize his vids depending on if it is just him dealing with a lovely game or if he is playing something that he is actually enjoying, also his vids do include facecam but only in a clipshow section of the video where it highlights some parts he thought were worth highlighting and including his facecam to show reactions to said parts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

John Wolfe - cynical, doesn't mug, is basically jaded with a lot of horror game conventions and is mostly just annoyed when he finds himself playing a bad game or a good game that takes a massive dive into poo poo.
Also ironically kind of an opinionated shithead who really can't deal with criticism himself and will go on about how much he hates it when people call him out on poo poo, especially during his longer streams where he's just rambling on about whatever comes to mind. I recommend not watching those. The shorter Youtube stuff is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Also ironically kind of an opinionated shithead who really can't deal with criticism himself and will go on about how much he hates it when people call him out on poo poo, especially during his longer streams where he's just rambling on about whatever comes to mind. I recommend not watching those. The shorter Youtube stuff is okay.

To be fair, a lot of that criticism is from youtube commenters and that stuff isn't exactly highly regarded.

He does get a bit overly nitpicky sometimes but I'm not surprised because of just how much awful poo poo he has played.