Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Untrustable posted:

That's a generous misread of the tweet but he can go off.

It really isn't, The Medium tries pretty hard to sanitize/boo hoo a kid fucker, "a world of shades of gray" isn't the best phrasing at all with what the game pulled out of it's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Half of the reason I have any interest in that game is that I want to see if it's as offensive as people make it out be or if it's just goons being goons and missing the point so they can be mad about things*

*Not saying that is the case. I haven't played it! so Y'all may very well be right. Although in my experience Bloober's games aren't brilliant or anything but they aren't particularly badly written, so I am curious to see how this subject matter was actually handled and forming my own opinion on it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Half of the reason I have any interest in that game is that I want to see if it's as offensive as people make it out be or if it's just goons being goons and missing the point so they can be mad about things*

*Not saying that is the case. I haven't played it! so Y'all may very well be right. Although in my experience Bloober's games aren't brilliant or anything but they aren't particularly badly written, so I am curious to see how this subject matter was actually handled and forming my own opinion on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ske2ddvQqbg
Chip and voidburger did a stream of it if you want to watch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well yeah the internet rumor mill decided the layers of fear devs were doing the next Silent Hill

People already got mad at how bad the game is!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

How is Yuppie Psycho (particularly the Switch version)? I haven't looked at too much gameplay since it seems easy to spoil stuff, but what kind of game mechanically is it? It kind of struck me as a Corpse Party-style "maneuver your 16-bit guy around and investigate while a thing sometimes chases you", but I kinda straight up hate chase mechanics. Thoughts?

I actually just got my first ending last night and was about to post here to gush about it.

The good: It manages to nail a horror atmosphere despite the simple graphics, lots to explore and lots of rewards for doing so, one of the few horror games (and games in general) that actually manages to land its jokes. Straddles a good line between goofy/scary/just plain weird, and the overall production values are phenomenal for an indie horror game. The characters actually acknowledge all the hosed up happening rather than going "Is it real or just all in your head?" which is rare for games with supernatural stuff in normal world settings.

The bad: Bosses are all chase scenes/puzzles that bring the fun exploration to a halt, I got a bad ending because I went too far off the beaten path and it locked me into the endgame sequence without warning.

I hate chase games, but I still loved this because outside of bosses it's about looking at patterns and developing routes rather than sitting in closets for 10 minutes while you wait for the invincible baddie to go away. The bosses themselves are all really cool conceptually (I hated the design of the final boss monster of my playthrough, in like a good way; it's going to stick with me for a long time), it's a shame that the gameplay around them sucks.

tl;dr: There are chases, and they are bad, but the rest is so good it's still 100% worth it.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I could forgive a couple of missteps if The Medium had anything else to offer but it really is just tone-deaf and boring as all hell. Reminded me a lot of those low budget Eastern European games The Adventure Company used to pump out in the early aughts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

The Medium is so dull from a basic gameplay standpoint that any further analysis is irrelevant. It’s like when people come at the Outer Worlds for its tepid political commentary, which you know fine whatever, but its cardinal sin is just being boring.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If anyone is interested, the Wii U Fatal Frame is coming out on all of the modern consoles. Cool

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Yardbomb posted:

Yuppie Psycho

Big Mad Drongo posted:

tl;dr: There are chases, and they are bad, but the rest is so good it's still 100% worth it.

Excellent, thank you! I actually have the OST on vinyl and love it, so I was curious about the actual game itself. It's only like ~$7 on the eshop right now, so I may as well give it a shot!

man nurse posted:

If anyone is interested, the Wii U Fatal Frame is coming out on all of the modern consoles. Cool

Yeah, I'm really hoping this re-ignites interest in the series. Silent Hills and Resident Evils never did too much for me, but Fatal Frame? TERRIFYING.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Read After Burning posted:

Excellent, thank you! I actually have the OST on vinyl and love it, so I was curious about the actual game itself. It's only like ~$7 on the eshop right now, so I may as well give it a shot!

Yeah, I'm really hoping this re-ignites interest in the series. Silent Hills and Resident Evils never did too much for me, but Fatal Frame? TERRIFYING.

To this day Fatal Frame 2 is one of only two games that scared me enough to make me go "I think I'm done for today," with the other being RE7 VR. A new one would be cool. Not sure why Fatal Frame was so effective for me, I think I'm just partial to the way Japanese media handles ghosts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They really hammer home 'these people died in horrific ways and now they hate you for being alive'.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sakurazuka posted:

They really hammer home 'these people died in horrific ways and now they hate you for being alive'.

Yeah, even the last scene of Kuroneko, which (spoilers just in case) is pretty hokey nowadays with tons of visible wires and stuff made me deeply uncomfortable. Is that movie the genesis of the stereotypical Japanese horror movie ghost or does something predate it?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think the fatal frame games excel at managing a huge sense of dread throughout. On paper the idea of schoolgirls running around taking pictures of ghosts sounds silly, but the execution is super well done.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

man nurse posted:

I think the fatal frame games excel at managing a huge sense of dread throughout. On paper the idea of schoolgirls running around taking pictures of ghosts sounds silly, but the execution is super well done.

I think it's really smart to have the highest-damage shots be the ones that are taken from up close and with the ghost as fully in frame as possible- you're basically forcing the player to stare directly at the scary thing and let it get as close as possible. That's a wonderful way of building tension that feels perfectly natural and in-character for the player.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Going to be going through some of the horror demos from the event on Steam.

Tried out the demo from Tormented Souls already. It's a RE/SH clone, third person with fixed camera angles (that move a little from camera perspective). Environment is very detailed with lore books scattered around, puzzles are there but fairly straightforward. There's a light mechanic where you need to have your lighter on when moving through dark areas, but the demo didn't really create any tension between that and monsters - maybe in the full game? Only two enemy types but they both look neat enough. They don't die the first time they fall down, but take less shots to put them down for good when they get back up.

Only thing that made me roll my eyes a little was a fanservicey cutscene near the start where you get full frontal from the main character.

Might keep an eye on it for full release and see what price point it is.

Gonna check out Rabbit Hole and Death Trash later.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Scott Cawthon has officially announced he's retiring and handing the FNAF brand to someone else

Too bad he's probably still gonna get royalties off any future games made, lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm sorry for letting you all down and I hope you will forgive me for voting for Donald Trump in the future

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bad for supporting bad people but also mmm, good idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's still crazy to me that some Jesus dude got super rich because the characters in his christian games were so ugly and amateurish that they scared people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

veni veni veni posted:

It's still crazy to me that some Jesus dude got super rich because the characters in his christian games were so ugly and amateurish that they scared people.

He sucks rear end, but I mean he made FNAF after those and animatronics creep people out of in general, much less glitchy ones with a lot of teeth.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that Abandoned game's dev Hasan Kahraman's name being H.K. initials plus literally the Japanese-to-Turkish translation of Hideo just lines up so much that this is either gonna be fuckin Silent Hills or the Blue Box people are going to get lit on fire for the megatroll

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

DLC Inc posted:

that Abandoned game's dev Hasan Kahraman's name being H.K. initials plus literally the Japanese-to-Turkish translation of Hideo just lines up so much that this is either gonna be fuckin Silent Hills or the Blue Box people are going to get lit on fire for the megatroll

I mean they already hilariously did so by the whole 'abandoned = first letter S last letter L' tweet. Which is so....I dont know, I really wouldn't be shocked if it's epic trolling, but why

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I mean they already hilariously did so by the whole 'abandoned = first letter S last letter L' tweet. Which is so....I dont know, I really wouldn't be shocked if it's epic trolling, but why

Didnt they just post up a follow up tweet apologizing so they won't get lawyered by Konami

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Didnt they just post up a follow up tweet apologizing so they won't get lawyered by Konami

iirc the fake MGS5 stuff went with the joke right up to the end so it wouldn't surprise me if they're doing that again

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It could be just a string of coincidences (like, also their YouTube banner is a picture of some mist-covered hills) but if so, drat.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been racking my brain trying to think of another "abandoned" franchise that starts with an S and ends with and L and I've got nothing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I've been racking my brain trying to think of another "abandoned" franchise that starts with an S and ends with and L and I've got nothing

The 1986 BBC Micro classic, Sentinel, and its sequel, Sentinel Returns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Slender: The Arrival

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestonJew posted:

Splinter Cell

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

The 1986 BBC Micro classic, Sentinel, and its sequel, Sentinel Returns

Sentinel Returns is some goddamn PS1 era body horror. It went from being like a Sauron wizard tower that zapped trees to a steam belching Cronenberg phallus on an alien nightmare planet.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Splinter Cell

Man now I’ve got my hopes up all over again

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Morpheus posted:

It could be just a string of coincidences (like, also their YouTube banner is a picture of some mist-covered hills) but if so, drat.

This is where I'm at. It's one thing after another and it feels off

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CharlestonJew posted:

Man now I’ve got my hopes up all over again

It's just Sam slowly walking around through a dark mansion thinking about all the people he's killed

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Snatchel

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

More demos

Rabbit Hole

Dude loses contact with his ex-wife and daughter in a town, goes there to find what's up. Lots of outside streets and fog with various exits from the town being blocked off, definitely draws on SH. Various lore snippets are about average for this game.

Curiously, your character moves pretty fast and has a crouch stealth and a sneak attack one-hit KO which you don't usually see in these kind of games.

It's okay but signposting is very poor in this demo (went searching a while twice and the second time I decided to call it good for that demo). You get a map of the town just a little ways from the start, but you don't get notes on the map as you encounter stuff which I think is a miss. The lightning also feels a little weird in this game in that you have these very bright patches but then a lot of gloomy-to-dark with no rhyme or reason.

Decent enough I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Death Trash

Break from the third-person survival horror to an isometric game. Art is pretty and there's a bit of humor to it. It's a strangely interesting world from what I see so far and I like having an RPG stat point assignment thing to play around with. Combat is live and pretty deadly in the demo, though I tended to go more melee than using the gun which probably accounts for it. Pro tip: those raw organs you're picking up can be eaten for health!

Another one I'll be following.

Industria

You're in Berlin at the fall of the Berlin Wall and you're a scientist that gets kicked to an alternate reality.

This demo is a little weird in that it seems to run you through the intro sequence, but then kicks you later into the game for a gunplay segment. There's very strong Half-Life 2 vibes in the environment, but the environment is overall bland, and not a lot of in-environment exposition. The decision to kick you later into the game for gunplay hurts more than it helps I think - you get to see three different enemy types and play around with four weapons, but it's very much "what's going on and why should I care about it?"

I feel like they would have benefited from extending the intro sequence to expand the world organically and hook me into it. As is, it's a very "eh" demo and it didn't make me want to follow the game much more.

Westwood Shadows

From the start it's apparent you've got a dead wife and kid so there's definitely going to be a Bad Dad vibe to here methinks. You start off exploring a house whose interior would probably be found on Zillow and roundly mocked. Then you're straight into an asylum where the demo ends pretty quickly thereafter.

The puzzles vary from ok to weird to maddening (why does a butterfly represent the number 7? how does putting a guitar on a chair cause a nearby painting to go askew?).

Not really impressed, will probably give this one a miss.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah Death Trash looks cool. May get it for the Switch

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Youtube's European goth committee has been gushing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTZAfK2DDM

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1406998486894235653

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Between that and Callisto Protocol it’s shaping up to be a good time for Dead Space fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

treat posted:

Youtube's European goth committee has been gushing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTZAfK2DDM

Ragnar may have a silly persona but he has a good track record with praising games so I'm quite hype for it.