Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Len posted:

They were jumping through some real hoops Qanon style too. It was ridiculous

Ridiculous? Ridiculous?! How do you explain Nuare Studios recently tweeting this Blue Box? https://twitter.com/nuarestudio/status/1405785192661491715?s=20

A Blue Box that was tweeted at 3:11 AM local time! Which is 9:11 in the Netherlands! 9 & 11. 9/11?

Hideo Kojima talked about 9/11 at E3 this year!
https://www.pcgamer.com/hideo-kojima-has-been-re-thinking-his-creative-process-in-light-of-covid-19/

The only people who are bending over backwards are the people who are actively trying to avoid connecting such obvious dots. :smug:

EDIT: Hah what a glorious page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
i saw hasan and hideo in the game studio and they were making a trailer and i saw the trailer and it rendered at me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm fully expecting a No Man's Sky style grift here

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ErrEff posted:

He leaned into it initially for some exposure, maybe as a joke, and then the hordes of fans became convinced it was real.

Now it is at the point where nothing he says will convince them otherwise because the hardcore fans have whipped themselves up into a frenzy. The last couple of weeks have seen people posting some very crazy speculatory and conspiracy-minded material - a couple of gaming subs on Reddit briefly went mad over it.

I saw someone say that the box of oranges in the Death Stranding Director's Cut trailer was supposed to represent a blue box because at one point the box is upside down and blue is the opposite of orange on the color wheel. this, to him, was the irrefutable piece of evidence that proved the whole thing wasn't just a conspiracy theory

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I mean it's pretty funny that karahman is Hideo translated from Japanese to Turkish, same initials, he's done this poo poo before with hiring people and making a fake studio etc.

Also a nothing studio with a failed Kickstarter somehow caught the eye of Sony to the point of an exclusive boasting it'll top of the line specs, geoff keighley giving that reveal, Akira Yamaoka saying he's working on what we're waiting for then that interview got taken down quick and ehhhhh.

Full stop it's too much that's off for no reason.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 23, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A massively scarred and traumatized Hideo Kojima takes control of Konami's game development, only for the world to find out years later it was a smokescreen to divert attention from Kojima Productions' own game development

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

caleb posted:

i saw hasan and hideo in the game studio and they were making a trailer and i saw the trailer and it rendered at me

I just horse-laughed at this at work and my boss asked if I was okay.

I am digging Yuppie Psycho so far, thank you to the goons who gave me suggestions on it. Although I've discovered it has TWO of my least-favorite mechanics ever: being chased and consumable-based save system. Regardless, enjoying it so far and hope to play more tonight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Have there ever been any other horror games like SH4 where the spooky nightmare world is actually someone else's delusions and the main character is only marginally involved at best? Dude literally just bought the wrong apartment and has to deal with all this poo poo

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Have there ever been any other horror games like SH4 where the spooky nightmare world is actually someone else's delusions and the main character is only marginally involved at best? Dude literally just bought the wrong apartment and has to deal with all this poo poo

I can’t remember but is that sort of like The Evil Within?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Not an exact match but sort of, yeah.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I mean, Silent Hill 1. Harry didn't do anything, he just happened to adopt the wrong kid.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Fatal Frame 1, unless there's some storyline stuff I'm mis-remembering.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'd also add Cryostasis to that list, though the exact nature of the delusional world you explore in that game is kept deliberately unclear. You can point to possibilities - Alexander Nesterov's dying dream, the Captain, the First Officer/Chief Engineer/Warden, the concepts of "hot" and "cold" themselves - but there's not enough evidence that points to any ultimate interpretation.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not sure you know what a grift is.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pope Guilty posted:

I mean, Silent Hill 1. Harry didn't do anything, he just happened to adopt the wrong kid.

I'd say he adopted the right kid and managed to keep a god in check because of it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CharlestonJew posted:

the game that is still having free expansions and new gameplay mechanics years after the fact? sounds great

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

I just horse-laughed at this at work and my boss asked if I was okay.

I am digging Yuppie Psycho so far, thank you to the goons who gave me suggestions on it. Although I've discovered it has TWO of my least-favorite mechanics ever: being chased and consumable-based save system. Regardless, enjoying it so far and hope to play more tonight.

That witch paper system is weird and mostly pointless. I think it's trying to up the horror by making saves a limited resource, but the game fully embraces goofy B-horror schlock as opposed to harrowing survival ala Darkwood so making saves item-limited really adds nothing to the overall experience. On top of that witch paper is plentiful -- I saved after after every major plot beat, after various long exploration sessions and before every boss and still went into the endgame with ~7 to blow willy-nilly. There's also an endgame merchant that sells witch paper in exchange for what is by then a mostly useless healing item.

My other guess is that the game is already clearly influenced by Deadly Premonition (weird character interactions), Silent Hill (monster design) and Clock Tower (gameplay) but it wanted to get some Resident Evil juice in there, so it copied ink ribbons for some reason.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That's a relief to hear! I love Kuon, but I remember there being a very limited save system with little paper boat consumables and was worried this game would be similar in that regard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yuppie Psycho is also neat in that it has multiple endings, though the main one that you get by like default is sorta the 'true' ending, while the others come from finding some sneaky extra history bits in the office and stuff like that, which gives you some cool backstory endings showing how a lot of the stuff came about.

Hugo's backstory ending is actually so :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just started Yuppie Psycho on a whim least night and for some reason I thought it was a goof but it's actually seeming to go for actual horror? Really liking it so far, just got out of office D.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I just started Yuppie Psycho on a whim least night and for some reason I thought it was a goof but it's actually seeming to go for actual horror? Really liking it so far, just got out of office D.

It keeps the sense of big weirdness and humor well enough, but yeah it actually goes into spooky nasty stuff as well.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This whole Abandoned thing just feels like a group of ESL devs accidentally loving up and in the process activating the particular branch of the Kojima cult of personality that thinks everything mildly suspicious is some kind of hidden message from the Master

e: that said nothing about Blue Box's history as a studio makes any kind of sense unless it's an ARG or a huge scam being ran on Sony so who loving knows

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 25, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing a bit of Mundaun recently. I think I'm approaching the end soon. Weird game, not quite scary, but certainly unsettling. Wasn't quite feeling it at the beginning but have started to get more into the world and plot. Just....peculiar overall.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

No Abandoned reveal today, delayed until August. Yes, it was delayed by a day two days ago. They found 'bugs'. Huh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They found 'bugs'. Huh.

DE WOLBACHIA

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Increasingly convinced Abandoned is some elaborate scam where this dude is bilking Sony money to go buy Lamborghinis instead of paying his non-existent team

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Picked up Yuppie Psycho in the recommendations here and I'm enjoying it, but I really do hate save gimmicks. Sure, when I was a teen RE style saving was no big but when you're an adult that needs to be ready to drop everything at a moment's notice, it gets old fast. Doesn't help that pausing and coming back later invariably seems to break the game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

Increasingly convinced Abandoned is some elaborate scam where this dude is bilking Sony money to go buy Lamborghinis instead of paying his non-existent team

This is from someone in the support studio for the game.

https://twitter.com/BBGameStudios/status/1407805686533197831?s=19

They do have a record and a good one. They've worked on Ghosts of Tsushima, Destiny 2, Death Stranding...

But yeah we know jack poo poo about the main team.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh yeah the support studios are extremely real. I just don't think Blue Box is, or if they are they are absolutely not remotely prepared for AAA game development after their past history of releasing approximately jack poo poo other than a barely playable Steam-trash level alpha for a game they stopped development on.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

Oh yeah the support studios are extremely real. I just don't think Blue Box is, or if they are they are absolutely not remotely prepared for AAA game development after their past history of releasing approximately jack poo poo other than a barely playable Steam-trash level alpha for a game they stopped development on.

Yeah if it's a grift I'm very impressed, I have no clue why Sony would give them so much support if this isn't some third level hype advertising for Silent Hills.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah if it's a grift I'm very impressed, I have no clue why Sony would give them so much support if this isn't some third level hype advertising for Silent Hills.

This is the same company that not only still has Life of Black Tiger up on their store but also still has a trailer up on their official channel them advertising a complete gently caress-up isn't an unprecedented situation

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/KonamiShop/status/1406736332387491840?s=19

Finally, something that will match my Supreme top while I hunt nurses down in our special place

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/KonamiShop/status/1406736332387491840?s=19

Finally, something that will match my Supreme top while I hunt nurses down in our special place

This would have been really good marketing when they released their skateboarding game on the PS2, you know ~20 years ago.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That is absolutely still going to sell like crazy.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

dogstile posted:

That is absolutely still going to sell like crazy.

It sold out day 1 lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

No Abandoned reveal today, delayed until August. Yes, it was delayed by a day two days ago. They found 'bugs'. Huh.

adds a tick to the "evidence for Kojima project" column

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It sold out day 1 lol

It sold out like minute 1 which was to be expected.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Marshal Radisic posted:

I'd also add Cryostasis to that list, though the exact nature of the delusional world you explore in that game is kept deliberately unclear. You can point to possibilities - Alexander Nesterov's dying dream, the Captain, the First Officer/Chief Engineer/Warden, the concepts of "hot" and "cold" themselves - but there's not enough evidence that points to any ultimate interpretation.

Depending on the interpretation of the ending you have a lot of choices. If you think the ending is literal and that you survive and meet the living crew then the events were a mix of supernatural and literal and space time itself was the medium. I might be misremembering but didn't the order sheet you have at the start tell you to meet the ship at a date that couldn't be right if the ship actually sank?

If you think its a dying dream then it can be mostly the same only the themes of heat = progress, change, hope, Cold = stagnation, stasis, despair still hold but are now entirely metaphorical.

If it is a dream world i'd say its a mix of everyones. It's like a localised noosphere.

Personally I don't like the 'everyone including the player is dead' at the end theory. I think the interference by chronos at the end is literal. Something terrible happened and you were given a chance to make it so it never happened. Which is why you can receive a missive to meet a boat that should have gone missing decades ago at the start. Cause and effect are hosed because time but the timeline you're originally on is the fixed one. THEN you have to go actually fix it.

So yeah I think it is a delusional world created by the minds of those that perished in the bad timeline but the ability to fix things I take literally.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Tbh most Silent Hills do this to some extent

1: Whole thing is Alessa's nightmare
2: Parts where you step into Eddie or Angela's version of SH
3: Levels where it is Claudia's vision of heaven/
4: wild card
Origins: Again, a lot of influence from Alessa
Homecoming:l evels based around the sins of the parents
Downpour: There's an ending where it turns out to be the cop that was the prisoner and Murphy was just a guard.
Shatmems: Whole thing was just a dream therapy session
P.T.: By many interpretations the player is just a guy going through the home of a murderer that doesn't line up with what he personally did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Somehow SH: Book of Memories fits into this too. :P