Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, THAT'S what I was confusing it with! One game had a real 9/11 call (thankfully no murder), and the other referenced a real case (lady acts weird in hotel elevator and is later found dead in the water tank).

Isn't the girl in YiiK the main character (or author self-insert)'s love interest?

She is indeed.

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I missing something with the camera combat in Dreadout 2? I'm just at the start of chapter 3 trying to shoot this ghost outside my house and the 'static' effect you need to damage it almost never shows up, that's on the rare occasion I'm actually pointing in the right direction.

From what I remember, no. It's just spinning around hoping to get the ghost in the reticule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I can't find mention of the Alien game meant to be announced at SDCC. Was nothing actually announced after all?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

From what I remember, no. It's just spinning around hoping to get the ghost in the reticule.

Jesus this is the worst designed bit in any game I have played recently, possibly ever

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh cool!

https://twitter.com/thesinkingcity/status/1552657634867548160?t=mIhZJT23paWVPQcX0resNA&s=19

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

gently caress yeah

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What was the original like?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The original was fine, I don't remember it super well but certainly enjoyed it. I vaguely recall the New Orleans section puzzles getting a little frustrating, but not sure exactly why.

The game wasn't really scary and the supernatural element is the central mystery more or less. However, the orginal teleporting Watson experience is profoundly disturbing and should be included without a second thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Characters (other than you as Holmes) didn't really move in the environment other than in cutscenes. As such, Watson (and others) would just always be in the correct location for whatever area you enter. It was most noticeable with Watson because he was always with you. The same thing happens in the sequel, Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis aka Sherlock Holmes Versus Arsène Lupin.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh man, I forgot that was the Creepy Watson game. Now how do you go about doing a remake when you know from the start it's just gonna be worse for missing that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It'll probably still be there

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Neat. I own the original but I'm bad at adventure games and haven't really played it. I should give it another shot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Frogware really must be a fan of that game considering they already did a remake for it once.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I bet they'll remake it without a creepy Watson but have him suddenly appear and shock Holmes at least once, who will wonder how/why he does that.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Nightmare Of Decay is savage as hell. The chainsaw dude is loving me up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I forgot how loving easy Dead Space 1 is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I forgot how loving easy Dead Space 1 is.

They definitely structured it in a way that assumed that players would look at it and go "cut??? Off their limbs?????" and therefore kneecapping any necromorph is just their automatic shutoff switch.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The Mortuary Assistant just came out. Feels like a single-player blend of Scrutinized and Phasmaphobia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Replaying Dead Space 3 is developing complex feelings about this game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a perfectly cromulent co-op action game just not what anyone asked for.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is The Callisto Protocol co-op or just single player?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

Replaying Dead Space 3 is developing complex feelings about this game.

That's the one I didn't finish, checkpointing rather than having backup saves screwed me over enough on running out of ammo that I didn't have the heart to keep trying. It was a real mixed bag once you get planetside, anyway.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I actually really want to play Dead Space 3, but none of my friends will play co-op. I even offered to buy them a copy but everyone just remembers the negativity online. They also probably don't feel like jumping into the 3rd game without playing 1 & 2.

We all played the original at launch on 360, but I'm also pretty sure none of us finished it. At least one of my friends had 2, but I don't think he got more than an hour or two in. We had all mostly forgotten about it by the time 3 came out and I guess killed any interest in going back.

Years later (like 2018) I bought the first two on Steam and finally finished them. Having so much distance between 3 and it's initial release I have virtually no expectations of it and am fine with it doing its own thing.

Thinking back it is weird how much of a "Lost Era" the 360 and PS3 years were, at least for me personally. I've got a huge number of games for both, but I can't think of more than a handful I actually played for long. Outside of a few standout classics nothing really kept my interest for long. Everything honestly just kind of blurs together in a grey-brown pallette of rehashed but prettier ideas. I certainly remember still having fun and loving games but compared to the 6th and 8th generation the 7th was severely lacking.

In conclusion, remake/re-release Lost Odyssey.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Did DS3 rebalance enemy spawns or health to compensate for there now being two players? There are a lot of points in that game where "struggle to get something open while also fending off necromorphs" would turn into "mom says its my turn on the kinesis module" if not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Zushio posted:

I actually really want to play Dead Space 3, but none of my friends will play co-op. I even offered to buy them a copy but everyone just remembers the negativity online. They also probably don't feel like jumping into the 3rd game without playing 1 & 2.

DS3 plays just fine with one person, there's just a few interesting two PoV segments you miss that you can easily look up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I got to the last boss in Dead Space 2 but the last checkpoint left me with eff all ammo and I just got murdered repeatedly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doomykins posted:

DS3 plays just fine with one person, there's just a few interesting two PoV segments you miss that you can easily look up.

The only issue is that the game doesn’t seem to rebalance the enemies around there only being one player which makes it pretty drat hard at times. There’s already like 2 times the necros to fight than in the first two, and they are faster, more aggressive and do more damage. Most of the time it’s not bad but some areas can be frustrating. Like, normal often feels like playing on hard imo.

I had mixed feelings on it when it came out and still do. It has some really bad design decisions.

But replaying it now I’m honestly impressed with how ambitious it is. You can really tell they were trying to really one up Dead Space 2 but ran into issues with EA, time or whatever.

It’s honestly a better game than it gets credit for, and it’s gotta be one of the best looking games from that generation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Soon as you get a flamethrower with the mod that slows enemies on hit any notion of difficulty disappears.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dead space 3 fell over to me when I got to like, the 4th monster room that had the exact same layout.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dogstile posted:

Dead space 3 fell over to me when I got to like, the 4th monster room that had the exact same layout.

Yeah, especially after DS2 had such great encounter design, 3 by comparison is late stage 2d FPS lazy monster closet bullshit with zero variety. It has some good ideas for sure, but none of it comes together for me, and after the ship graveyard it all just goes to complete poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone here playing Mortuary Assistant? How is it?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Its okay. I like the basic gameplay loop but wish there was more variety in the embalming tasks. e.g., "Oh this one needs X because of Y, but this body needs Z instead for Q reasons."

I've played 6 rounds and some of the bigger jumpscares are getting repetative. gently caress the mimic lesser demon though. :gonk:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like it, but it's pretty RNG dependent. I lost the first round that I did because none of the obvious signs of possession showed up in the bodies, so I picked one at random and lost because of it. The following rounds had pretty obvious signs, though, so I think it was just a bug.

The ways they bring the ticking clock element into play naturally is pretty clever, with you scribbling on a piece of paper and slowly forming sigils instead of a timer, plus the random events.

I'm not sure if any of the apparitions actually do anything, though. I look at them and they move away, that's about all I have seen in three rounds so far.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched a streamer play it and it seems neat but also really buggy. He had to reload twice because an event broke and wouldn't let him interact with the corpse at all, and since there's no real saving it kinda just arbitrarily put him back a certain amount.

The timer seems kind of fake though, not sure what the actual mechanics were for it. The first run he was mostly messing around and it took a very very long time for his scribbles to change, and on his second run he was pretty swift and it progressed extremely fast, wouldn't be surprised if it's actually progress based rather than time.

I will give it points for relying mostly on spooky things in the background for the horror and not screaming jumpscares though.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The timer seems kind of fake though, not sure what the actual mechanics were for it. The first run he was mostly messing around and it took a very very long time for his scribbles to change, and on his second run he was pretty swift and it progressed extremely fast, wouldn't be surprised if it's actually progress based rather than time.

It's both, I have had the same thing where I burned through the patients like a beast and it rapidly evolved, but I also had a time when I just wandered the hallways for a while with sigil paper in my hand looking for the last name piece and that advanced it as well.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any horror games that aren't super scary? I love horror movies and don't find them scary but I've tried the RE2 remake like three times now and always quit around the introduction or Mr X.

I think RE8 was almost perfect for me; it was scary but not unbearably so.

So I guess I'm looking for something slightly less scary than RE8 lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn is a like an interactive horror movie where you play the role of a sadistic film director. Everybody can survive, but everybody can also die and the story will still continue, which takes the pressure off. It's more schlocky than scary and very enjoyable to play in a group, even though it is ostensibly single-player.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Ooo very good suggestion and we actually just beat The Quarry and loved it .no scary in it at all

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I dunno, I know it's different for different folks but if you think RE2make is too scary Until Dawn might be way too much. Maybe the fact it's third person might help?

I'm not sure what I'd suggest if RE8 is just about what you can handle. What about it meant you weren't too scared? What puts you off a lot and what types of things are too scary for you? What sort of other horror games can you not handle?

edit: I am now baffled if you thought The Quarry wasn't scary at all lol.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Kit posted:

I dunno, I know it's different for different folks but if you think RE2make is too scary Until Dawn might be way too much. Maybe the fact it's third person might help?

I'm not sure what I'd suggest if RE8 is just about what you can handle. What about it meant you weren't too scared? What puts you off a lot and what types of things are too scary for you? What sort of other horror games can you not handle?

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

worms butthole guy posted:

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

I haven't played RE3 myself so can't comment. The RE games have always done a good job of making you feel powerful since 4, so maybe you'll enjoy RE4 if you haven't played it? Having just gotten a chance to play it myself after way too long, it's a fun romp of action-y schlock and well worth a playthrough. Be warned it has tank controls which might throw you off a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
RE7 starts spooky imo. I went to replay it with the series x patch and I was still tense. Wish the intro went by quicker though.

Dead Space 3 is still a looker, especially on PC.