Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acch6-3QEWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know what the gently caress "doom jazz" is but I'm excited to find out

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Read After Burning posted:

Ha, there's a character in Paradise Killer named Dr. Doom-Jazz, I guess I should have assumed that would be an actual musical genre.

There he is! :cool:

Excellent game, by the way.

worms butthole guy posted:

Are there any horror games that aren't super scary?

Paradise Killer is set in a pretty hosed up world (humans are slaves and power sources who are sacrificed regularly as the island's Council struggles repeatedly to create the "perfect world") with a bunch of weird lore involving elder gods and poo poo...but the gameplay is all investigation, etc, and the game's style is very colorful and vaporwave-y.

It was my favorite game of 2020!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

THQ looked at the Resident Evil 2 remake and said "we'd like that too, please."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I've gotten excited over less, I'm in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's hard to tell from a couple shots of the player fighting the gun but combat looks a liiiitle cheap. Like you move and animate so much like the lead of Sinking City and combat was that game's weakest element. But drat if I'm not excited for Southern gothic and expecting tight gameplay in a horror game is stupid anyway, bring on the eurojank baby!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Article with a bit more information.

quote:

Alone in the Dark(opens in new tab) is officially coming back. Revealed today at THQ Nordic's digital showcase, the new game will be a "reimagination" of the 1990s survival horror trilogy featuring the characters, locations, and themes of the cult-classicsin "a completely original story."
[...]
Developed by Pieces Interactive, a THQ Nordic studio, the reboot will tell an all-new tale about the unfortunate adventures of Emily Hartwood and private investigator Edward Carnby, who go searching for Hartwood's missing uncle at Derceto Manor, a home for the "mentally fatigued." They find a whole lot more than they bargained for, though, including strange residents, dangerous monsters, portals to nightmarish worlds, and evil in the Lovecraftian-tinged Deep South of the 1920s US. You'll be able to play as either Emily or Edward, with completely different cutscenes and levels for each. Combat and puzzle-solving will form the backbone of gameplay, which unfolds across "a deep psychological story that goes beyond the realms of the imaginable."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Guy Davis did monster design? I'm already sold despite my general skepticism.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

At the very least it can't possibly be worse than Illumination right? Although this being a reimagining of the first game kind of makes me want to see how the hell they could possibly reimagine Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 given how goofy and silly those games are.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm doubtful that the devs are interested in the things that I love about AitD but at least it'll have cool monsters and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Derceto.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ecstatica is the true successor to Alone in the Dark. A deeply funny game but also has frightening moments from a colorful stable of monsters.

Anyone play Knight’s Chase, the spiritual successor to the original?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

al-azad posted:

It's hard to tell from a couple shots of the player fighting the gun but combat looks a liiiitle cheap. Like you move and animate so much like the lead of Sinking City and combat was that game's weakest element. But drat if I'm not excited for Southern gothic and expecting tight gameplay in a horror game is stupid anyway, bring on the eurojank baby!

It definitely looked like Sinking City. I am cautious with my enthusiasm after that trailer. I am getting SC/Vampyre vibes and while I enjoyed those titles that isn't what I want from this franchise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm intrigued based on the trailer, but I also know effectively nothing about the franchise other than knowing the first game was pretty foundational in early survival horror. Does it generally stick more to horror than Resident Evil wound up doing?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm intrigued based on the trailer, but I also know effectively nothing about the franchise other than knowing the first game was pretty foundational in early survival horror. Does it generally stick more to horror than Resident Evil wound up doing?

the second game has you tommy gunning zombie pirates while dressed as santa claus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

0 rows returned posted:

the second game has you tommy gunning zombie pirates while dressed as santa claus

Ok now we're talking :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm hoping the remake is successful enough they make remakes of the other sequels, including yes the one with "I don't have your stone and gently caress you anyway!"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha God no. Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare (fourth game) sort of does try to be a horror game to some success but Alone in the Dark 2 is a out fighting evil pirates while dressed as Santa Claus and Alone in the Dark 3 is about fighting evil zombie cowboys who have invaded a movie set in the Mojave Desert, while Alone in the Dark 2008 was way too silly with its dialogue to be taken seriously. The series is more goofy than Resident Evil somehow.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In the first one you're either a scumbag PI who came to the mansion as sort of an advance scout for a broker who's pretty clearly going to loot the place, or you're the beloved niece of the recently-suicided owner looking for answers, and you wind up trapped by the thing that drove him to it.

The later games star a guy who is theoretically the first one but he's increasingly kind of theoretically a badass monster-fighter in the most boring possible ways.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Every time my brain goes for Alone in the Dark it keeps hitting Clock Tower, and I guess that explains why, because AitD is barely coherent when summarized.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ellies bitchy new boyfriend in Dead Space 3 has to be one of the suckiest game characters ever. I would pay 5 dollars to remove him from the game.

Also holy poo poo I forgot how long this game is. I thought I was literally on the final part in chapter 12 but there is...19 chapters!?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok now we're talking :v:

If you can you should watch the LP.

https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark-2/ (subtitled commentary so no voiceover if that is not your thing)

also the fanart :allears:

Also yeah AOD the series just drops to silly so fast it's amazing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Still laugh at how one of the games is called "Jack in the Dark"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mentioned in the RE thread but don't sleep on the Resident Evil Humble Bundle. Every single notable RE game that is on modern platforms for $30. Except Re8 which you still get a 50% off coupon for. Really can't beat that.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror?utm_campaign=resevilaug22_ann

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

veni veni veni posted:

mentioned in the RE thread but don't sleep on the Resident Evil Humble Bundle. Every single notable RE game that is on modern platforms for $30. Except Re8 which you still get a 50% off coupon for. Really can't beat that.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror?utm_campaign=resevilaug22_ann

Seriously the Resident Evil Revelations is some of the best survival horror ever, and I wish they made more in that spirit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hel posted:

Seriously the Resident Evil Revelations is some of the best survival horror ever, and I wish they made more in that spirit.

Also one of the best 3DS games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Latest flavor of the month, The Mortuary Assistant as reviewed by Gman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN-HsnQoDc

You spend every shift of your job preparing bodies while a bunch of demons bug you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So for The Quarry, do they have that online multiplayer where people play different points of view of the same scene, or did they decide to nix the feature? Looks like there's no more friend pass, and was wondering if that was why.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Latest flavor of the month, The Mortuary Assistant as reviewed by Gman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN-HsnQoDc

You spend every shift of your job preparing bodies while a bunch of demons bug you.

I'll check this out after Fobia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you play it with a. Controller?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

Can you play it with a. Controller?

According to Steam it has full controller support. Unlike loving Nightmare of Decay...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mortuary Assistant is a pretty spooky game with some nice atmosphere but, Hope you love metaphors for addiction and guilt!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheKingslayer posted:

Mortuary Assistant is a pretty spooky game with some nice atmosphere but, Hope you love metaphors for addiction and guilt!

At this point, a horror game where you aren't a secret bad person would be a bigger twist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

1stGear posted:

At this point, a horror game where you aren't a secret bad person would be a bigger twist.

I don't think struggling with addiction makes you "a secret bad person"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For sure the main character isn't a bad person. But it feels like a waste to throw in such a cliche thing next to the other big ending which was plenty horrific and had some moral questions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need a horror game where the town/hell/whatever accidentally grabs the wrong person, who's doing just fine, and tries its best to roll with it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think struggling with addiction makes you "a secret bad person"

Yeah, my bad. I jumped to assuming the player character killed his wife or similar.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Discendo Vox posted:

We need a horror game where the town/hell/whatever accidentally grabs the wrong person, who's doing just fine, and tries its best to roll with it.

Almost sounds like Resident Evil 7

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

Game where you play a character like Laura from SH2 where you run around a normal, if kind of depopulated, town and keep coming across all these weird people doing survival horror stuff.

"Hey bud, what are you doing? Making a sigil out of a doll head and a pile of melted crayons? Okay, uh, I'm going to go, but hit me up if you want to go bowling"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Discendo Vox posted:

This is basically Silent Hill 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hot take for me: it's fine that characters have personal demons because I legitimately don't know anyone IRL who's not got something they're struggling with, even if they outwardly present fine.

The character in the mortuary assistant gets bonus points for being very on point with the dialogue.

"gently caress this I'm calling the police" got a hearty chuckle from me