Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Agent Escalus posted:

I wasn't interested in the Blair Witch game....but now that it's out the reviews for it are pretty good, and it has replay value with endings; but like most who played Until Dawn I was also looking forward to Dark Pictures (1): Man of Medan, which seems like they course-corrected from The Inpatient and returned to form. So now the question is, if one's on a budget, which game comes first, and which gets wishlisted until the Halloween sales?

I believe you can play Blair Witch with your Xbox or PC Game Pass so if you're gaming on a budget the no-brainer is just to sign up for the $1 one-month trial of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's really short too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man of Medan is really good, my friend and I went through it together in 3 hours and there was a good amount of us yelling at each other and trying to figure out what each other is seeing. We had a ton of fun and started a second playthrough, swapping places.

I'm really excited for more of this series and I hope this sells like crazy so we keep getting these games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, plus I just can't 100% buy into the claim that they're going to be totally separate/independent games with zero threads connecting them; if that were the case, why bother with the Dark Pictures label at all, in favor of just putting out the games with their own titles?

Branding = more sales I'd wager.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
they should make a crypt keeper like host for their anthology. only it should be peter stormare

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Instead, give us a Tales from the Hood video game anthology hosted by Mr. Simms.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spite posted:

they should make a crypt keeper like host for their anthology. only it should be peter stormare

Save for being a ghoul or Peter Stormare, the Curator is basically that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Disposable Scud posted:

Already beat Blair Witch. Good spooks but I didn't need another goddamn piece of horror media where the protagonist Did A Bad Thing

Jesus christ :cripes: It feels like every drat twist nowadays is "The monster is actually YOUR GUILT!" or "The monster is actually CANCER!!!!!" and it's just exhausting

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Disposable Scud posted:

Already beat Blair Witch. Good spooks but I didn't need another goddamn piece of horror media where the protagonist Did A Bad Thing

How long was Blair witch? I made it to chapter 8 last night and I'm basically only playing at night. Trying to finish it by the end of labor day weekend.

I gotta admit the story isn't the best but you know the actual parts of the game where you're in the pitch black forest are done well. I think it's worth playing for those partsm

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sigher posted:

Man of Medan is really good, my friend and I went through it together in 3 hours and there was a good amount of us yelling at each other and trying to figure out what each other is seeing. We had a ton of fun and started a second playthrough, swapping places.

I'm really excited for more of this series and I hope this sells like crazy so we keep getting these games.

What do you mean, 'what each other is seeing'? Is it multiplayer?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm surprised to see people say that Blair Witch is good. When I checked Steam yesterday it was still 60 to 40 negative reviews, although a lot of that was apparently because of massive technical performance issues.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I think I read that it uses a system similar to Hidden Agenda and has voting? Or maybe I'm making that up

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Morpheus posted:

There's 3 modes:

1. Singleplayer which I assume is just standard fare and you control all decisions.
2. 2-5 Local co-op, I guess it's just what singleplayer offers, but you guys pass around a controller to make decisions within the game together and basically "vote" on what the characters do.
3. Online co-op, this is the mode we played and by far the coolest, because you both control a character and make decisions with them. You guys jump from character to character depending on the chapter you're on and there's whole sections where you guys are doing solo things and are completely separate. So during those moments we were each dealing with different things and had to describe the crazy poo poo happening to each of us as we tried making sense of the whole thing. However, during the parts when you're together, one player might see things completely differently from the other and this can lead to some hosed up interactions where one of us was being attacked but the attacker was completely different from out viewpoints so we didn't know what was real or not. It's really well done and we were taken aback by some of the piss-poor decisions we made.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm surprised to see people say that Blair Witch is good. When I checked Steam yesterday it was still 60 to 40 negative reviews, although a lot of that was apparently because of massive technical performance issues.

Yes it has awful performance. I'm playing it on the Xbox one x and it is pretty slow at times and the resolution feels lower than what it should be.

There are some good set pieces and the game is really worth playing at least once for how well it portrays the pitch black forest. Even if that's really like two or three parts in the game.

I finished it in 5 hours. Nothing truly amazing but I don't regret playing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, thank you. I think I'll wait for it to go through a patch cycle or three first in that case.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I do have to say unless you have game pass that's expiring soon just wait and play it later. Usually games won't come off game pass for at least 6 months (I think fallout 4 was the only exception)

At about 5 hours you can clear it in a weekend easily even if you only insist playing at night.

This is the perfect game pass game. I wouldn't recommend it at full price. I will have to say it is actually a pretty good Blair witch game (performance and some plot details aside) it shares a lot of plot beats and escalation.

Plus I will never stop praising how atmospheric it is in the parts of the pitch black night forest.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Where does the game land on the Alan Wake Scale of Rad Horror Forests

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Songbearer posted:

Where does the game land on the Alan Wake Scale of Rad Horror Forests

I'd actually put it above Alan wake. Alan wake is still more visible and blueish.

The downside is that you only seem to be in the true pitch black for about a hours worth of game play time, maybe almost two hours.

This is really really really pitch black like in the actual Blair witch movies, where the best you can see is about ten feet in front of you with your flashlight on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like to do late-night walks in my local forest when I can't sleep and you might be surprised to hear that you can probably see a lot more than that even without a flashlight. Alan Wake is probably closer to what it's like on a night where the moon is out.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Cardiovorax posted:

I like to do late-night walks in my local forest when I can't sleep

Go on

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I live right at the edge and helps me calm down when I'm stressed. Is there a problem with that?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Depends on how many victims you've buried there :ghost:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, ok, when you say it like that, it does probably sound a little creepy.

It's twelve.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, plus I just can't 100% buy into the claim that they're going to be totally separate/independent games with zero threads connecting them; if that were the case, why bother with the Dark Pictures label at all, in favor of just putting out the games with their own titles?

Because having a common brand makes it more likely for people who liked one episode to buy more.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Ya the reviews kinda put me off to and the price seems a bit high for now but I will get it down the line just cause I am a fan of the og movie. Other than tech issues a lot of people talked about too much walking. Ok I know the whole point of the movie was people walking a lot and tensions rising while weird poo poo happens but by walking do people mean it is a on rails walking sim or they just mean there isn't anything happening other than just walking?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Not sure if I'd quite classify it as horror but I enjoyed going through Observation this weekend. You play as an AI onboard a space station after a disastrous accident and work to fix the station & piece together what happened with some of the survivors. It's mostly a puzzle-solving game but there's a great sense of dread throughout the game and some interesting sci-fi/horror twists in the narrative.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I have a Game Pass subscription until November this year and was going to check out that Blair Witch game, but after seeing the first hour it looks like it's yet another game where the twist is that (are these even a spoiler at this point) your character did something bad!!! and I feel like I'm better off not wasting my time and trying something else instead unless there's something more interesting going on there.

I played Apsulov last week and while the gameplay is nothing unique it switches things up often in its 6 hour playtime, the atmosphere and setting are good and at the end it turns out the main character is the reincarnation of Hel Goddess of Death, at which point during the final 30 minutes you start glory killing enemies like the Doom Marine with your cyborg viking arm which is incredible.

GUI fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 1, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Apsulov has a drat cool concept and world

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to pitch a horror game but the protagonist did something good and they’re being tormented for it because that’s just the cruelty of real life.

I guess I just pitched Funny Games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The torment would be having to watch Funny Games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

al-azad posted:

I want to pitch a horror game but the protagonist did something good and they’re being tormented for it because that’s just the cruelty of real life.

Something like Papers, Please?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

al-azad posted:

Technically that's the first Silent Hill.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Finished Man of Medan just now unfortunately I figured out the gimmick during the prologue which made the game fairly dull. The only person that died was Conrad because I chose to hide and failed the lovely heartbeat game. I think the painting hints ruined the game a bit would have been better to not look at them at all.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I generally have a tolerence for lovely games (Assuming the issues aren't technical/computer breaking) but Man Of Medan just made me want to headbutt someone. Scour the environments at a snails pace in an attempt to figure out what's going on and carefully choose the dialogue options only to lose a character in an instant because you failed 1/8th of a quicktime event. Afterwards have the characters crack jokes or make wry comments when their fiance/family members have either bit the dust or are presumably in mortal danger.. I can have a laugh if the "acting" is so bad it's funny, but it's just loving jarring in this case.

Until Dawn had it's problems but I genuinely wanted to get all the characters through it alive and it never felt overly unfair when one died.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

al-azad posted:

Didn't the guy in Silent Hill 4 just make the mistake of moving into the wrong apartment?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And Heather literally exists to be tormented so yeah, James ruined Silent Hill and horror going on two decades.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Didn't the guy in Silent Hill 4 just make the mistake of moving into the wrong apartment?
Yup.

Origins also technically counts, because the default ending that you get for beating the game once is more about Travis confronting his abuse from his parents but he did nothing wrong. The Butcher ending hints that he's a serial killer, but the main game doesn't really build that up enough.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 1, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love Silent Hill 4 for that because even the monsters arent based on anything in Henry's psyche, its Walter's game and Henry just blundered into it with his dumb gormless face.

Walter's plan would have gone off without a hitch if Henry wasnt stupid enough to crawl through a random hole in his bathroom and not question it

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Songbearer posted:

Depends on how many victims you've buried there :ghost:

Nobody commits crimes in forests because everyone's too scared to go into the forests :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also all the roots make actually burying bodies there a huge hassle