Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

The first time I heard Hotblack Desiato (or whatever the guy's name was) shout "TASTE MY BIG BONER" was the moment I decided I was done with that game.

Why do I still immediately remember that his name is Garcia Hotspur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

It is time for Devolver to untangle the rights to CarnEvil and give it a home release.

I would drop money on this in a fuckin second also, one of my favorite light gun games ever.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Yardbomb posted:

Why do I still immediately remember that his name is Garcia loving Hotspur.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Yardbomb posted:

I would drop money on this in a fuckin second also, one of my favorite light gun games ever.

Hey you don't have PMs but here is a link to the new Asym/DbD thread someone made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's not super busy yet though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

Hey you don't have PMs but here is a link to the new Asym/DbD thread someone made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's not super busy yet though.

Thanks man.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I was gonna say, Hotblack Desiato was from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I just remembered Something Something Hot*mumble* and that's just the closest phrase I could still find in my memory.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This looks like a good horror game concept

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This looks like a good horror game concept

That's one of those times you should stop and ask if you should

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's kind of neat in a "hey, look what I managed to make this do" sort of sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would rather play that than any individual Sonic game, soooo :shrug:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I got a bit of a request, can anyone link a good LP of the original Clock Tower? I could have sworn SGF had done it at some point but I guess he just did NightCry and ReMothered. Clock Tower's one of those games that I love to watch for the visuals and music but looks absolutely miserable to play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

e: dammit. I was going to like you to the archived one by Mr. Sunabozou, but being a blip/viddler LP, it's pretty much factually dead at this point.

Sorry, I've got nothing.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

some of those are rehosted on the internet archive

https://archive.org/details/LP_Clock_Tower

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Yo, thanks guys! Was looking for the SNES version but this looks like a lot of fun. Gotta start getting in the Halloween mood.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Yo, thanks guys! Was looking for the SNES version but this looks like a lot of fun. Gotta start getting in the Halloween mood.

Then Nigguraths Lp of it is pretty good https://lparchive.org/Clock-Tower-The-First-Fear/

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s a new Amnesia coming out. Any indication that it’s going to be good? I didn’t know about it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

man nurse posted:

There’s a new Amnesia coming out. Any indication that it’s going to be good? I didn’t know about it.

I've pre-ordered it cause I really like Frictional, though the latest trailer didn't make me very enthusiastic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

davidspackage posted:

I've pre-ordered it cause I really like Frictional, though the latest trailer didn't make me very enthusiastic.

Psyche, it's by the Chinese Room again. This time they've further purified the experience by removing the option to physically move or look around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mannn, Korsakovia and Dear Esther were great. What happened?!

edit: These pictures do a remarkable job of making me want to punch Pinchbeck

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"“the Naughty Dog of the U.K." hahahahaha

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Discendo Vox posted:

Mannn, Korsakovia and Dear Esther were great. What happened?!

edit: These pictures do a remarkable job of making me want to punch Pinchbeck

Its the PT situation all over again. An experience that only works because its novel, and relatively short is padded out into a full length game. (partially because its also cheap to make.)

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I've really felt every Chinese Room game after Dear Esther was a huge drop in quality as well. I appreciate the idea behind the Walking Sim Experience, but it has been so poorly executed so many times that I have lost count. Everybody's Has Gone To The Rapture was particularly infuriating because the movement was glacial, which seems to be part of the Walking Sim Experience in general. The only ones I really didn't mind was Gone Home (on the first run, after that it loses basically everything it had going for it) and Firewatch. Tacoma was decent, but the plot hinges on basically the worst narrative decision possible.

Maybe if they added even rudimentary puzzles to the experience it would be more enjoyable. The entire genre bascially require no input from you as a player, which doesn't do it for me. On rare occasions the story might make you think a little, but since they all basically have the same plot in different permutations once you have seen one you know all the tricks. I can't think of many other genres which have stagnated so quickly in terms of creativity. People complain about horror games trying to redo the plot of Silent Hill 2 forever, but virtually every walking sim has been a remake of Dear Esther.

Edit: Don't even get me started on weepy nostalgia trip indie games like 198X or Night in the Woods. Kill The Past, Protect The Life.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 27, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zushio posted:

Everybody's Has Gone To The Rapture was particularly infuriating because the movement was glacial, which seems to be part of the Walking Sim Experience in general.
I'm personally assuming that this is to stretch out the content. "Walking Sim" games tend to be on the short side to begin with. If they let you zip from point of interest to point of interest at your own pace, I think that this would only become even more apparent, so developers make a point of not letting you do that.

Charitably, one could also say that it is in order to provide the narrative pacing that they think the story needs. Pick your preference there.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I forgot about Infra. Infra is just hosed and amazing and everyone should watch the LP by Selenic Martian.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtFZlKcq4lSY7YR6wK0BEUo0P0yVP0qpP

I'm not sure it's a game I could actually play though, my OCD would just go wild with it.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm personally assuming that this is to stretch out the content. "Walking Sim" games tend to be on the short side to begin with. If they let you zip from point of interest to point of interest at your own pace, I think that this would only become even more apparent, so developers make a point of not letting you do that.

Charitably, one could also say that it is in order to provide the narrative pacing that they think the story needs. Pick your preference there.

I understand where you are coming from, but in that case it just shows a lack of confidence in the content. If you need to force people to experience your story rather than running past it perhaps your story needs a few revisions. There is nothing wrong with a short game in my mine. If you made your traversal actually fun to do that would honestly improve the experience in mind. Apply the Deus Ex style concept of the 1 City Block and have a lot to explore and see, rather than the few small set pieces most walking sims offer connected by endless corridors of forest/inaccessable buildings/winding country paths. This is part of why Gone Home is enjoyable, because while you still move slowly you are restricted to a fairly constrained space that suits your level of mobility.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's so hosed about it? Is it in a good way or a bad way? Those are a lot of videos.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

What's so hosed about it? Is it in a good way or a bad way? Those are a lot of videos.

Mostly the good hosed, but it's extremely hard to explain. You play a public works contractor doing a survey of the failing infrastructure in your poo poo hole city. Most of the game is wandering various city infrastructure taking pictures of cracks in walls and broken equipment. Some of the map design is incredibly complicated and mazelike, there are some weird goddamn puzzles and optional content to find. Plus the plot that unfolds over the course of a game that is probably too long for its own good is completely nuts. Complete with cold war plots, hallucinogenic mushrooms, government coverups, political corruption and a whole bunch of other random rear end nonsense. Oh and managing your supply of batteries for the camera and flashlight, which your town apparently has the worst supply of ever since they last like 10 minutes for a whole pack lol. At least your character is extremely enthusiastic about the battery count.

It's very much not for everyone, but it has an insane attention to detail and ambition for what is essentially a fancy Half Life 2 mod. I really appreciate the fact that you can use the maps of the area scattered around the game to actually plot the main character's route though the entire game. I'm pretty sure the same developers did that weird My Summer Car game too, nope my mistake similar vibe though.

It's as close to my ideal walking sim as we are likely to get though. Is it still considered Eurojank if its from one of the Nordic countries? Saunajank?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 27, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zushio posted:

I understand where you are coming from, but in that case it just shows a lack of confidence in the content. If you need to force people to experience your story rather than running past it perhaps your story needs a few revisions.
Oh, I really agree with you there - if you're in a mood to not be charitable about it, I would personally say that it speaks to an awareness on the side of the developer that the actual story content of their game is very anemic and that it would not really look very good or substantial if you could just see it all in a single go. I don't think it speaks of anything good when a developer tries to keep you from experiencing their game at your own pace, generally speaking, because the content should ideally be able to stand on its own merits no matter how you prefer to approach it.

Zushio posted:

Mostly the good hosed, but it's extremely hard to explain. You play a public works contractor doing a survey of the failing infrastructure in your poo poo hole city. Most of the game is wandering various city infrastructure taking pictures of cracks in walls and broken equipment. Some of the map design is incredibly complicated and mazelike, there are some weird goddamn puzzles and optional content to find. Plus the plot that unfolds over the course of a game that is probably too long for its own good is completely nuts. Complete with cold war plots, hallucinogenic mushrooms, government coverups, political corruption and a whole bunch of other random rear end nonsense. Oh and managing your supply of batteries for the camera and flashlight, which your town apparently has the worst supply of ever since they last like 10 minutes for a whole pack lol. At least your character is extremely enthusiastic about the battery count.

It's very much not for everyone, but it has an insane attention to detail and ambition for what is essentially a fancy Half Life 2 mod. I really appreciate the fact that you can use the maps of the area scattered around the game to actually plot the main character's route though the entire game. I'm pretty sure the same developers did that weird My Summer Car game too.
Thanks. Doesn't sound so bad, then, I'll be giving that LP a look.

Zushio posted:

It's as close to my ideal walking sim as we are likely to get though. Is it still considered Eurojank if its from one of the Nordic countries? Saunajank?
We generally tend to think so here. As far as most of Europe is concerned, Scandinavia is European.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everybody's gone to the rapture's writing and atmosphere were extremely good if you fell into its pace, but they couldn't figure out how to write an ending, which is the kiss of death for a game like that

(this is weirdly the inverse of a machine for pigs, which was hilarious garbage right up until that barnburner of a monologue in the game's ending)

if they're helming the next amnesia i do not have high hopes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering how A Machine For Pigs turned out...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Edith Finch was the last game I remember really raised the bar in atmosphere and storytelling. Dear, Sam is also an underrated indie horror game with a neat execution and doesn’t overstay its welcome. Ether One had a disastrous launch but it’s a really good Myst-lite with a psychological horror story that’s actually sweet and well executed.

Although calling Night in the Woods a weepy nostalgia trip is a weird stretch to me. It’s nothing like Dear Esther.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 27, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008

al-azad posted:

Edith Finch was the last game I remember really raised the bar in atmosphere and storytelling. Dear, Sam is also an underrated indie horror game with a neat execution and doesn’t overstay its welcome. Ether One had a disastrous launch but it’s a really good Myst-lite with a psychological horror story that’s actually sweet and well executed.

Although calling Night in the Woods a weepy nostalgia trip is a weird stretch to me. It’s nothing like Dear Esther.

I think I have Edith Finch somewhere from a giveaway, maybe I will check it out. Haven't heard of Dear, Sam at all.

I agree that NiTW isn't like Dear Esther, it was a separate complaint about games that dwell heavily on the "never got over my teen years" trope.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've never played the game, but I've seen an article describe NitW as "an allegory for the Millennial condition," which is just the right kind of pretentious to turn me off of ever trying and makes me see where you could be coming from in that regard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

everybody's gone to the rapture's writing and atmosphere were extremely good if you fell into its pace, but they couldn't figure out how to write an ending, which is the kiss of death for a game like that

(this is weirdly the inverse of a machine for pigs, which was hilarious garbage right up until that barnburner of a monologue in the game's ending)

if they're helming the next amnesia i do not have high hopes

They're not it was a joke

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Night in the Woods is a good game but only tangentially horror

E: or rather it's about the mundane horror of being stuck in your dying small town with no hope of ever escaping and the cosmic horror stuff is more metaphor

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 27, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I've never played the game, but I've seen an article describe NitW as "an allegory for the Millennial condition," which is just the right kind of pretentious to turn me off of ever trying and makes me see where you could be coming from in that regard.

I have never heard the description before, but it is almost exactly my feelings on the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night in the Woods is a horror adventure game about being a mentally ill 20 something in a dying midwestern town where everyone is trapped by post recession poverty and the people who have the power to help can’t or won’t. There may be an elder god in the town as well, rust belt be like that sometimes.

So if by “allegory for the millennial condition” is broken people, young and old, uniting under the death and destruction left by wanton capitalism then sure it’s what the game is about. I don’t think that’s any more or less pretentious than every Gen X era story being “I’m comfortably middle class and bored.”

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zushio posted:

I forgot about Infra. Infra is just hosed and amazing and everyone should watch the LP by Selenic Martian.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtFZlKcq4lSY7YR6wK0BEUo0P0yVP0qpP

I'm not sure it's a game I could actually play though, my OCD would just go wild with it.

Yeah, Infra is really good and the general run-down environments are weirdly creepy just because they're so abandoned. It exudes loneliness like no other game I've played. It's slow as hell and sometimes very picky about how you do things though, or what you can and can't interact with. If you like weird kinda janky loneliness simulators though, it's worth picking up on sale. Nothing else is quite like it.

I've got stuck partway through though, because I saved my game in the middle of a quite obtuse puzzle in a confusing area - and I can't figure out how to progress even with a walkthrough. Need to try and retrace my steps to start the area over or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They're not it was a joke

probably should have figured, i've definitely quoted that interview enough times where they said that machine for pigs was too far out of their wheelhouse. it'd be weird for them to take another crack at the franchise after all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played a TCR game since Dear Esther but I don't think the guy came off as unlikeable or pretentious in that interview at all. Seems like a pretty reasonable dude.