Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Dead by Daylight worth the sale price right now? I always thought the idea was great but now that there's the Halloween DLC I really want to run from Michael Myers, or kill with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dregan posted:

Hey, Routine is apparently still a thing, and has a release date window. Miracles will never cease!

Came here to post this, gently caress.yes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

Is Zombiu still a good experience on the PC? I remember it looked pretty good on the WiiU.

It's basically the same, but it's a mediocre game and it's death mechanic is truly loving awful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Yossarian posted:

I like the death mechanic. Seemed novel for a FPS or a survival horror game. Care to elaborate?

It's the reason I gave up on the game twice, once on the WiiU and the second time on the PC release:

Basically what happens is that when your character dies you wake up as a new survivor in the safe house, but everything your old survivor had is dropped wherever they died and you have the chance to retrieve it. Sounds good, but if you second survivor dies all of that first survivor's stuff is lost, permanently. On the Wii U I lost everything towards the beginning of the game (2 hours in) because you have to hold out against a lot of zombies that you could easily not be prepaired to deal with. Also, at that point you don't have the syringe to stab the zombies in the face with so if they grab you that's a one-hit kill. So I died and I went back (because that's where I needed to be to progress through the game) and low and behold, there's around 15 zombie or so waiting for my new survivor who only has a cricket bat without gently caress-all else to defend himself with and I again just get grabbed and OHKO. All of that beginning stuff is lost and I quit.

With the PC release I make It all the way to the end because the game's a lot easier on a keyboard and mouse but towards the end I'm running low on ammo and have to resort to melee attacks to make it through a clusterfuck of an escape sequence with alarms and whatnot going on. I'm pretty sure I was 20 minutes max away from the end of the game. As I'm making my way through all of the non-sense I accidently hit an "explosive" zombie with my melee weapon and it explodes in my face killing me. My new survivor has literally nothing and I can't even make it back to my old corpse because at this point the game world is a maze (it's not open world, think more Resident Evil with linear sections) and the fast travel system is in accessible for some reason. Oh and zombies became horribly abundant. I literally couldn't beat the game.

It's an interesting concept but once it happens to you it's frustrating.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't recall it being full of useful things for me, and at that point the game didn't allow me to use the fast-travel tunnels so the trek back to my previous corpse was way too hazardous to get through, and my second survivor died anyway so I lost all of my primaries. I quickly uninstalled the game.

It has some nice atmosphere but the gameplay itself isn't that great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carebearz posted:

So, I also take it you don't like Dark Souls because that the same thing they do with your souls when you die. The death mechanic in ZombiU was amazing and the only people who disliked it are crybabies.

If Dark Souls made you lose all your gear, close up any shortcuts you found to the last boss and force you to slog through the whole game rear end naked while the world is filled with even more enemies than before, then yeah.

Dark Souls is a game with great mechanics that controls well and rewards the player for mastering said controls and learning the enemies. Zombi isn't, it's basic shooter with survival elements tacked on and a death mechanic that turns the game into a tedious slog. Zombi isn't Dark Souls and you'd be an idiot for thinking it's even in the same class. Zombi is a war of attrition where you survive by having enough ammo to deal with the situations you're put in, where quick thinking and learning your enemy's movements isn't a thing. This game isn't about finesse.

This is coming from someone who doesn't play Dark Souls because he's terrible at them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Have none of you played a roguelike/roguelite before?

Zombi is a linear, 6+ hour singleplayer adventure with as little RNG as you can get and the game plays out exactly the same for everyone that played it. It's hardly a roguelike.

I too think it's surprising that there's people who don't like games where the whole mechanic is permadeath and resetting all the progress you made just so you can toil away at it again. Most people do enjoy games to relax and unwind so they say.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isn't Scott a big-rear end Jesus freak? So strange he's making mad bank of a horror game series where the backstory is the violent deaths of children.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crabtree posted:

Let me read you a passage from biblical canon that no one likes to talk about, my favorite, 2 Kings 2:23-5.

This is a book where a man summons 2 bears to horrifically maul, kill and/or devour 42 kids for calling him bald. People are turned into salt for looking back at horrible devastation. The world is flooded. And depending on certain fan theories the official wiki didn't like, angels got down and hosed with humans to create cannibal half-breed giants.

This is hilarious and I'd approve of a horror game based around Bible stories because that's crazy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glukeose posted:

I've never been immediately desensitized to a game before. They went with complete sensory overload for that game's visual design, so nothing stands out to me as disturbing because everything is tittywalls and teethdoors with fetuses littering the floor. The game also looks like it plays like poo poo. If you're making a game where your only meaningful mechanic is walking and hiding, making the world interesting to walk through is important. Agony just looks like a loving mess.

It's a little rough right now, but it's pretty cool and the cluttered hellscape artstyle is what drew me to the game and got me to back it. I love how it looks thought at times in the demo I had no clue where the gently caress I was supposed to go. The demo always had something to look at though and it kept things interesting enough for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dead by Daylight is the worst game design I've seen in a long time, what a great concept too. It's White Noise 2 fun?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Resident Evil 7 demo is up on Steam.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Friday the 13th: The Game beta is up until the 24th for anyone that pre-ordered, pre-ordering gets you 4 extra keys to pass out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So apparently streamers preorders have received early copies of the new Friday the 13th game.

pro: it's like Dead by Daylight, a cool idea

con: It's like Dead by Daylight, a bad game

Apparently it's Dead by Daylight, but good. So the best of both worlds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Terrible Opinions posted:

You absolutely can group with friends in DbD and it is a good game.

Living up to that username. The game is a dumpster fire.

Friday the 13th is really good but they need to fix the stamina issue, it regens way too slowly to the point where once you use it up you're probably never going to have a full bar again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

The black character is the best runner you say :allears:

Her intelligence is also 2/10, pretty hosed up. I think only the female characters have low intelligence but don't quote me on that.

Len posted:

It's important to know is there a sex/drugs/alcohol feature that makes you show up to Jason so he can beeline for you?

No, sadly, but I can see why that's not in (ratings bullshit) but apparently if you go into Jason's cabin (where his mother's head/clothing are) he gets alerted.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it seems like the Friday the 13th Beta got extended for today as well, I have an extra code of anyone wants it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DRM services categorically make the end user experience worse without actually curbing piracy at all.

I have several games with Denuvo and whatever else stupid DRM there is and my experience doesn't change between any of them because of it? What exactly is effected by some of the DRM methods?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is that like 100%, that all games with Denuvo will gently caress your SSDs over? Or is it just a select few and people blow it out of proportion?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well gently caress, time to see if I own any Denuvo titles.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestonJew posted:

Routine? Maybe?

Routine seems to be a sure thing, we were actually supposed to get a December release date too which would of been awesome but sales and all that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, on the official Friday the 13th forums some people were saying the virtual cabin was abandoned because people were taking Jason skins from the files or some poo poo, and that seems really petty of the devs.

They actually said something about it, turns out people were trying to hack into the servers for the Beta and play the game again which are on the same servers that host the Virtual Cabin stuff, so they had to take the servers down to get people to stop loving around and playing the game outside the beta:

Friday The 13th: The Game posted:

Seems people really enjoyed the beta...enough to where we are getting continued attempts to hack our servers to get back into the game.
Unfortunately that means we have shut down our servers that additionally house our Virtual Cabin database. You can still access and complete the Virtual Cabin, but the badges will be affected until we start back up with the full game or we flush out these intrusion attempts.
Apologies. We'll keep you updated.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Huh, that's weird. Why would they have things set up like that where those things communicate to have made that possible?

It's cheaper running a single server that can handle both jobs than to have a single server dedicated to something that doesn't really need to access the server all that often.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No... No one has ever wanted a rail shooter :(

How the gently caress did that board meeting even go?

"VR is a thing and we need something on it, go."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exploded mummy posted:

Isn't 2 the one with the incest angle.

Sold.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

5 is only worth it for the co-op, which was enjoyable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Co-op almost always makes games way more entertaining.

5 was better than 6 though.

At least 7 looks good.

Yeah, the co-op in 6 couldn't save it, it was boring from start to finish outside of the old school part with Leon (I think it was Leon?)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, no, 5 and 6 have decent combat, TEW is a step back from RE4.

I don't recall any major changes in the combat in RE 4/5/6. I can't say I played them to death though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean you can move and aim at the same time in 5/6, that's a pretty big change right there.

I don't think this is true for 5.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mysterious frankie posted:

Is Revelations worth playing on the 3DS\at all?

I enjoyed it, didn't it get a PC release?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GlyphGryph posted:

No, I mean, why do they feel the need to just keep going well after that are done? Why can't they just say enough is enough, we've done what we set out to do, and now it's time to wrap it up to a satisfying conclusion without adding in several additional hours of padding?

They made the game too short really, you get to the ship in around 4 or 5 hours in a blind run. All they really needed to do was to add more rooms to the previous areas and put in some backtracking like Resident Evil tends to have anyway and they could have flushed it out. They should have also made the Jack and Marge fights much later into the game. You should have also been stalked by both of them for most of the game. They're gone so quickly and Marge is barely in the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

You gotta justify that $60. Although when it came to the old Resident Evils, which were like 4-ish hours, they were padded with a ton of extra content.

They're not 4 hours the first time through, maybe Nemesis is, but 1 and 2 are pretty long when you go in blind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dandywalken posted:

My biggest Veronica memory is that loving plane fight. gently caress.

My friend never beat the game because of this fight, I think he didn't have enough ammo to deal with it and had to try and go the rest of the fight with a knife and could never do it.

Didn't CV have two mansions that were like duplicates of each other?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The DLC is also out for PS4 while the rest of us have to wait, if you care about that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

clockworx posted:

On Easy/Normal I found it trivial to get into to car and run him over. On Madhouse, supposedly you can too, but I was never able to - I got to the car, but he always grabbed me and threw me out.

It's possible but the keys are locked in a box so you have to run behind Jack and get a lockpick before you unlock the box and get them, it adds extra time and because Jack's a ton faster there's a good chance he'll catch you and throw you out of the car. You basically have to get the keys and kite him to the far side of the car and stun him with a headshot then make a run for the car.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

Do you remember what happened in the short? People in this thread might have seen it.

Also, how do people here feel about this thing?

I hope the game gets made because it's nice seeing projects with heart come to fruition, but jesus it's like they tried plagiarizing Resident Evil as much as they could without just remaking Resident Evil 1-4. What a shame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It"s not like you couldn't make a good game with a realistic portrayal of mental illness. It's just that that's harder than making every character a violent murderer in a spooky rundown asylum that's full of rusty chains and jail cells.

I'm curious as to how you think this would work as a horror title, realistic portrayals of it wouldn't be scary and while having all of the patients being bloodlusting psychos is unrealistic as all hell it works in an Arkham Asylum-esque horror game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yardbomb posted:

Bipolar disorder and PTSD are pretty scary, having one of them and having family with both.

In real life? Yeah, I'm sure they are but in a video game it would be pretty lame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tweet Me Balls posted:

You shoot and run away from a lot of stuff in Silent Hill 2, but at the end of the day it was still a story about people dealing with trauma and a weirdly intimate examination of being guilty and horny.

Yeah but at the end of the day it's a survival horror game where ammo and health is low and things are trying to kill you. Wondering what's sick demented form is around the corner and how they're going to kill you is where the tension comes from, not James wanting to cheat on his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not really, the combat is pretty easy. The story is the only thing that people actually gave a poo poo about in SH2.

Do you honestly think SH2 would have been held to such a high regard if it dropped it's hellscapes/creatures, wasn't a survival horror title but kept the same story?

edit: Do you think James being horny is scary?

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 22, 2017