Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm a huge pussy and absolutely hate jump scares. However, I love games that creat an atmosphere, ie the Fatal Frame/Silent Hill games. The OP has a few games that I definitely want to check out when they come out, especially The Evil Within, though I really prefer pre-4 Resident Evil so I'm keeping my hype reigned in. In the mean time I'm trying to find a new horror game right now. I also hate running from poo poo and being completely helpless the whole time, so Alan Wake was really the last horror-esque game I played. Is there anything out right now that isn't an Amnesia clone or jump scare central? I guess I just want a really atmospheric survival horror where you can kill the monsters/ghosts/real estate agents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I'm playing Rule Of Rose, I just stabbed a child to death with a fork and I have no idea what I'm doing or whats going on.

Rule of Rose has one of my favorite soundtracks. I still have the pre-order CD that came with it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Any time someone says a horror game plays like an old horror game like it's a bad thing I'm like :psyduck:

Tank controls 4lyfe

I'm gonna have to try Evil Within. Is it better optimized than Dead Rising 3?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh right, Dead Rising 3 is real crash happy, isn't it? Well that sucks. I was kind of interested but not if the game still isn't stable.

Supposedly if you do the new patch. Playing on a midrange system, updated drivers and the patch made things look like even more poo poo than the 720p and halved level of detail I had to play to make it run at 20fps.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

OxMan posted:

Is outlast actually any good? Every bit I've seen of it looks like the entire game is running through identical enviroments ruining away from enemies through the same corridors, finding more batteries then running some more. It's like amnesia, square room connected by hallway speedrun edition. Is there an interesting story? The naked guy in the beginning was the least scariest guy since burping nurses.

It's good in the same way b movie slasher are good. If nothing else, do yourself a favor and check out the soundtrack for both games, or at least the second. It's seriously a shining light in the mediocrity.

E:Oops, had an aneurysm and thought we were talking about Obscure. Still, check out the soundtracks for obscure.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 18, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

If their next game doesn't have so much goddamn gay-rape-as-horror then I'll probably like it a lot.

Was that in the dlc? I don't really remember gay rape in the LP I watched of Outlast

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Man on man rape is kind of new in a horror game though. If it could be utilized well to really bring an air of uncomfortable - ness and true vulnerability I'd actually be interested to see it. The way the dlc handles it sounds stupid though.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 18, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Volt Catfish posted:

So Daylight is some game I got for free with the purchase of my video card. I think it's a horror game, but is it even worth playing or is it just some sort of mediocre UE4 engine test more than anything?

It's pretty much the same jump scare over and over again, but I just watched an LP so I can't tell you if it's a good "game" or not.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

Think prison rape. It's not as prevalent, but calling it a subversion is really doing a disgusting thing too much of an honor.

Eh, horror is all about vulnerability, fright, etc. It's refreshing someone tried sexual horror towards men in a game, I just wish it had been done better.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm sure you're deeply impressed with your ability to be a tough guy on the internet, but I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I've got enough poo poo I need to deal with in my life that I don't need to see in my escapism, too.

I don't think you 'get' horror.

Sure, everyone can laugh at stupid teens in B-Movie poo poo, but good horror isn't something I'd say you want to 'escape' to.

al-azad posted:

Bottom line, it's a cheap lazy plot device.

You can say about anything ever. Your post comes off a little social justicy, so I'll just reposte with physical abuse in any media makes me really uncomfortable, and something I've gone through yet I don't deny it can be used effectively to elicit an emotional response. Sorry, I just don't think because something that is disgusting and horrible, that immediately means it can't and shouldn't be used if the writer, for lack of a better term, can do it well.

In outlast specifically, the threat of rape definitely was just edgy for edgyness

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 20, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a lot less entertaining after you've watched a grown man break down and blubber while telling the story of how his Jehova's Witness father used to beat him bloody and rape him. Call me wuss if you really need to, but I think there's a line that doesn't need crossing. Not for entertainment, unless you're making some artistic point of breaking boundaries for the sake of it.

I can see why you would have a problem with it, I personally just don't believe in lines that you can't cross in expression.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hey, everyone remember that Clive Barker game? No, I'm not talking about that horrible abortion, I mean Undying. I adored that game as a kid, and the little journal that came with it Ala American Mcgee's Alice was really cool.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Five nights at Freddies is a game a really respect, but I can't play it because it's just jump scares. I'm a huge pussy with jump scares which is why I much prefer the Silent Hill brand of horror. That being said, if Junji Ito is actually working on silent hills I'll be all over that poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 22, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

I kinda wonder if Code Veronica would've been better received if it controlled like Resident Evil 4 with a third-person over the shoulder camera.

It wouldn't have been a true resident evil game, and therefore would have sucked.

See: RE4 and up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yup, that happened to me. I get maybe 20fps and constant stuttering so I guess I won't be playing it until I rebuild my machine.

I had to get a new rig. Pretty much all the new games from here on out were gonna need more than I had, so why not.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And just in case someone hasn't heard, they patched in both 60fps and black bars toggles

E: Happy Halloween ya'll!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 31, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

catlord posted:

So apparently Denis Dyack is trying Shadow of the Eternals again, with a new company called Quantum Entanglement Entertainment (because I guess Precursor Games' reputation was too tarnished?) and I guess it's supposed to be company that does Video Games, TV and movies, and that the company is going to work to converge them and allow fans to influence things, which strikes me as a little odd considering Dyack's notoriously dictatorial rule over Silicone Knights.

It sucks so much the IP for one of the best horror games ever is owned by a loving moron.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

No its not, Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness. Now if only they could get Retro to make a sequel...

Oh whew. Still, it's Nintendo so I really don't think they're ever gonna do anything with it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

You could always play the PC version. Works fine on modern OS' and isn't too difficult to find.

The textures are poo poo. Upscaling on pcsx2 would be the best bet.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Somehow Defiance is still making money, both the MMO and TV show so go figure.

I don't know what Remedy is doing with Quantum Break, I'm just going to assume they're not going with the TV show after Microsoft axed, what, a thousand employees from their entertainment division?

Didn't they completely shut down that division? Other than whoever is working on that halo thing and bleeding that rock dry.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So the next Alone in the Dark is a co-op shooter? Goddamn I miss Survival Horror...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Was there not an AitD game in a style similar to REmake? So basically 2D backgrounds they spend a lot of time on to prettify, creating impressive effects for the flashlight and shadows. I never picked it up. Was it any good?

A new nightmare was classic survival horror for that era (around the time RE 3 came out), so if that's your thing I would definitely get it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

One of the house's in the neighborhood had a Slenderman mannequin out front all of October. Truly, we are the real monsters.

I remember in the paranormal images thread goons really wanted Slenderman to become a thing outside the forums. If only we knew then....

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tolth posted:

Having played the game, I can honestly say that out of all the new animatronics the Balloon Kid is by far the most annoying. I can deal with jumpscares but the little poo poo disables all the lights for the rest of the night once he's in with you and can't in any way be made to leave, which is essentially deadly from night 2 onwards as Foxy 1.0 is unstoppable without the flashlight.

Fuuuck, the LPlayer I watch is gonna get jumpscared so drat much...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hell yeah, Eternal Darkness is one of my favorites. If I'm remembering right, it was Silicone Knight's spiritual successor who's kickstarter failed, ED is all Nintendo. That being the case, I still doubt we'll ever see a sequal.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So since The Evil Within has seemed to have sold splendidly, do you think we'll start seeing more big budget horror games?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm really hoping Silent Hills sells well. I get the feeling it's not going to be overtly actiony, nor run and hide, though I could be very wrong.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think Japanese devs may be the only ones who get silent hill.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Silent Hill was very much the baby of Team Silent. Even though the games they made weren't necessarily technical masterpieces (although when SH2 first came out I remember being blown the gently caress away, of course, that was almost 15 years ago) they had a cohesive direction where all of the elements of the game really came together. After 4, there was no continuity between the teams that made the games and the team that would make the next game, and so even though homecoming had the best graphics in the series to date, the story, art direction, characterization, and monster design just wasn't there.

Team Silent has made other games though, the Siren series comes to mind. Like Silent Hill, Siren is far from perfect, but it's definitely something unique. If you are going to give it a shot, the PSN-exclusive blood curse is a great deal easier and more forgiving than the PS2 game.

Blood Curse is indeed great, but I remember hitting a brick wall with the tunnel full of shibito crawlers with creepy japanese dude and never getting to finish it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cat doter posted:

Pretty sure the Siren games just have a few creative heads from team silent rather than them being team silent by another name. Could be wrong though.

It's pretty clear why the series is being mishandled, it's being controlled by suits at konami that don't care about the series artistically and being farmed out to cheap western developers that can spit out something garbage quickly. It's a name used to market products and there's nobody really carrying the torch.

Let's hope Kojima changes that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The original Angela was a lot better than the hd va as well.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Clever Spambot posted:

I really like the (almost certainly deliberate) awkwardness of the original dialogue, it sort of reminds me of a david lynch film where all the characters act super inhuman and it gives off this unnerving atmosphere.

I've never heard the new voices though.

From what the original VA for James said over the years, the dialogue and it's fitting awkwardness was a very happy accident. I don't thing the director even spoke English. Aslo, James' VA hated Maria's VA

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You only get the option for SH2. For SH3, new players are stuck with 40 year old Heather. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu0JUqrZoYM

I forgot how good original Heather was.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Mr. X was before Nemesis. A Proto-Nemesis if you will. If you say you didn't jump even a little when that dude burst through the wall, you are lying.

Seeing him on the video feed coming towards you from where you just came from was a great moment

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's way too similar to RE4 in a lot of ways.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This thread introduced me to HarshlyCritical. The best ones are him playing lovely RPGMaker games and making fun of them, but the legitimate games like Alien Isolation and Evil Within are good because he acts like a normal person while playing them.

Raedwulf is a likable guy too, and he doesn't "put on" as it were

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
All the little hidden NES like segments make it seem like he has an overarching story :shrug:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

To quote one of the Resident Evil novels, 'Vanity, thy name is underwire'.

Was it Caliban Cove? Please tell me it was Caliban Cove :allears:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The series is cursed. We're never going to get another great Silent Hill game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pochoclo posted:

The thing is that sure, your reptilian brain can get scared at something jumping in front of you in the middle of the night, it will work, but that's not horror, that's just fear. To really loving unsettle a human being, to make one feel horror and dread, it takes another human. That's actually a theme I'd like to be explored more in horror games. It's always monsters and ghosts and stuff. But normal living humans are, hands down, the scariest creature to populate the planet. I guess the problem is that it gets too intense when you go down that road. I don't think a game that properly emulates the experience of being hunted by a seriously disturbed serial killer, for example, will be very popular or politically correct.

I was watching an LP of a fan made Halloween game a while back that, for its low budget, was still pretty intense. I can't help but think modern graphics and the Rift would lead to a few heart attacks.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 27, 2015