Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AllLuckySevens posted:

Recently downloaded dreadout on steam. Seems like a fatal frame-esqu experience, I'll update with impressions. Any FF fans here? Always loved the idea

I've played a good chunk of Fatal Frame 2 (haven't beaten it yet, a mix of not playing my PS2 as much as I'd like and going slow because I'm not good at adventure games), and I'm really liking Dreadout. Can't say anything 100% yet (having some trouble with a boss), but for it's price it seems really short (assuming you don't go and do an optional side thing I missed), and the graphics are mid-late PS2 era (not a problem for me, honestly, but there's some pop-in near the very beginning as you run down a street). There's going to be a free update that adds a bunch more, so as far as the length problems go, that should be at least somewhat fixed. I'd say yes, maybe pick it up on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Anyone here play DreadOut? It looks a good bit like Fatal Frame and I heard it actually tried to do the atmospheric horror approach.

One downside? To respawn, you have to run to a light. The distance gets longer and longer the more you die. I am having trouble with a boss, so against this one enemy, the distance I have to run has increased dramatically.

I'm liking the game though, even if I'm really near the end (and the second half isn't out yet).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

If you like lovely-looking scary games you should play Ecstatica. It's a pre-Resident Evil fixed camera angle/tank control adventure game where you run around a deserted village and are being hunted by this werewolf through large stretches of the game. You can die right the start by tripping over a rock running away from it, it's awesome.

It's based on spheroids rather than polygons, so it looks bizarre, an I believe it's done by some of the guys who did the original Alone in the Dark. I haven't played it, so I can't speak too authoritatively about it. I hear the controls might be a bit funky?

I love Alone in the Dark, though, I've been thinking of playing Ecstatica at some point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I liked them. I thought the gunplay was good, and the scares decent enough. I think Perseus Mandate was my favourite, had what I thought were the best scares. 3 is a bit odd, the others had a health kit system but 3 used regenerating health. John Carpenter had a hand in 3. Steve Niles wrote it too. Had a terrible ending. I didn't play co-op, but it worked just fine in single player.

The only one I would suggest not getting is the DLC for 2, Reborn. It was loving terrible. It's just over an hour long, has a bunch of stupid bits, no scares, it's supposed to set up 3, but doesn't gel right with it, and they have a filter that looks like somebody pissed all over your screen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Das Butterbrot posted:

alone in the dark (the old ones are good but very old, 4 is p. bad)

4 may be bad (though most people seem to think it's ok), but 5 is loving dreadful. I hear the PS3 version is much better, but they never updated the other versions to that quality (and I hear even the PS3 version isn't that good).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness.

Ooh, System Shock 2 is a fantastic game that does get pretty freaky, but it is fairly easy to get really powerful. It did scare me a bit, and I'd say I'm a fairly difficult person to scare. It is a great game that kinda ran out of some money near the end, so the end is a bit iffy, but it is definitely great, it is one of my top games.

I haven't finished Fatal Frame 2, but that game actually scares me. It is fantastic, has great atmosphere, and I absolutely love it.

Which Clock Tower 2 are you talking about? In the series, the first one was released on SNES, and later re-released on PSX as Clock Tower: First Fear. That one never came out in America (you can find fan translations out there). Then they released Clock Tower 2 on the PSX, it's a direct sequel to the first one, but it got released in America as Clock Tower. I hear it's pretty good. Then there was a spin-off game called Clock Tower: Ghost Head. It's not related to the other two at all, and got released in America as Clock Tower 2: The Struggle within. I hear it's pretty dreadful. In Japan the game was set in Japan, and in America it was set in California. They couldn't change a whole lot of thins like the backgrounds, so it's still really obvious where it's supposed to be. I hear 3 is pretty good but kinda insane, and Haunting Ground pretty good too, as an honorary part of the series.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

So off the subject of Silent Hill, Five Nights at Freddy's came out. I've been watching a stream of it, and it seems pretty good, the kind of horror game meant to make you feel real dread.

I saw a video of this. I'm reminded of Night Trap, but actually somewhat creepy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I couldn't remember which Clock Tower people liked. I typed Clock Tower 1 into google before I made that post and saw that it was a SNES game, so I figured it must not be that one. (Because how scary can a SNES game be?) It has to be the next one which should be 2.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

The first one probably aged the best (at least looks-wise, they are still console point and clicks after all).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

I forget, is this the game that gets all loving loopy and somehow ends in a barn

Yes. I liked it, but the sequel never made it to PC. Kinda a shame, since I hear the first half is pretty good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ularg posted:

Does Amnesia: The Dark Decent have controller support on PC?

I don't think it does naturally, but I saw a mod for it. I have no idea how well it works though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently Atari is releasing two games this autumn, a new Haunted House, and Alone in the Dark: Illumination. drat it all, they hurt me so bad with Alone in the Dark 2008, but I'm still excited.

I love me some Alone in the Dark. :sigh:

Edit: Here's a link.

From Atari themselves, and here's the teaser site: aitd.com.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 20, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Wasn't one of the iterations of Alone In The Dark actually good? I vaguely remember it being the PS3 version, but I'm not sure...

Yeah, the PS3 version came out later and had a ton of improvements, such as checkpoints during the super long, super buggy driving section with the fantastic music, and the game pausing when you checked your inventory, bug fixes, and even a whole new section of gameplay. I heard that those were supposed to get back ported to the 360 and PC versions, but for whatever reason they never did (either not enough people bought the PS3 version, or Microsoft said the patch was too big so they just scrapped everything, I dunno).

Yeah, if you're going to get a copy of the game, get the PS3 version. It has the subtitle 'Inferno.' I never got to play it (I held out for an update to the PC version), but I hear it is a definite improvement over the initial release. Of course, that's not exactly hard, so whether it's actually good is up for debate, I hear it's at least playable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I want to like Alan Wake more than I do. I mean, it's basically the best Stephen King game we have (not that there's much competition, I mean, what else is in the running, The Dark Half?), but I just don't like the gameplay. It feels clunky and I don't like fighting the enemies or the floating inanimate objects.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, new stuff for Alone in the Dark: Illumination.

Website has more information now. The co-op worries me a little, as a solo player. Also I laugh because Alone in the Dark has co-op now. Story-wise (what they've revealed) I'm a touch sceptical, but I'll roll with it. What worries me most is that, having read all this, and going in with fairly low expectations, I still got excited by the trailer (despite it not showing jack poo poo). I guess Alone in the Dark is to me what Alien is to Xenomrph.

Also, Haunted House: Cryptic Graves. Far, far less information. Just a little trailer. Made by the guys hi did Anna, I guess?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Nosferatu is pretty good. You and your family have come to Count some and such's castle for a wedding I think it was, Count Notavampire is actually a vampire, go through his castle and save your family.

It's got randomised levels as well. It looks kinda bad, even for coming out in 2003, and combat can be a little clunky, but it is quite fun when you get into it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy poo poo remember when Resident Evil 4 was going to be seven disks long and take place entirely in the Paris research facility?

I completely missed that. When was that supposed to be?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Man, I really liked The Thing game. Of course, I played it well after it came out, so I knew the trust and infection mechanics were broken, that might have something to do with it too.

Although, there was that one boss fight I had trouble with until I broke it by shoving an AI into the room when you're supposed to be alone for extra firepower. I think he was shooting it during the cutscene that played and the boss was nearly dead by the time I got control back.

I'm sad there will never be a sequel that has better mechanics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RadicalR posted:

I believe that was the first Clock Tower on the PSX.

Well, the second one. There was a port of the first one to the PSX but, like the first game in general, it stayed in Japan. It didn't change a whole lot, and it doesn't have a fan translation, or at least a finished one, like the SNES version does.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Nosferatu is in that pack and I recommend that too. It's a first person shooter where you have to rescue your family from a randomly generated castle within a strict time limit. Kind of reminds me of Eldritch in a way with enemies that have specific weaknesses.

Not a great game but worth a buck.

I really like Nosferatu. But! It's ugly as sin and it's clunky as gently caress, but if you can get past it it's a neat horror FPS.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC the game explains it by you landing in the male wing of the building, and the female wing being on the other side. All the routes there are blocked off and you never have any reason to go there, hence why there's no women in the game.

I think at some point there was a note explaining that what was going on there was messing with the ladies heads well before absolutely everything went to poo poo, and so they were moved off-site some time prior to the game starting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

18. The Blair Witch Experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNFXJDU1Fw

I'm going to talk about not one, but four games! Following the craze The Blair Witch saga created in 1999, a trilogy of video games were released. I find them noteworthy because they're loosely based on the series, allowing them to be their own unique thing rather than derivative works.

First we have to start with Nocturne, a 1999 game by Terminal Reality that's unrelated to The Blair Witch. Set during the Prohibition era, you're a member of "Spookhouse" a government organization that hunts paranormal creatures. At its core is an Alone in the Dark style game focused more on action. The game made waves in 1999 for its (still impressive IMO) lighting engine that created deep, rich shadows that scaled well to weaker hardware. The result is one of the more visually striking games of the late 90s even if it's a particularly generic horror shooter. Bloodrayne also exists in the Nocturne universe and there's some recurring plot points in that game.

I loved what I played of Nocturne, but then I got a good computer and now I can't play it. Nothing I do to get it running works. I do love that it and Bloodrayne are in the same universe though. For the curious, the castle and the artifact from chapter one of Nocturne is the same castle and artifact from chapter three(?) of Bloodrayne.

Edit: vv Yes, Svetlana Lupescu.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 19, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, everyone remember that Clive Barker game? No, I'm not talking about that horrible abortion, I mean Undying. I adored that game as a kid, and the little journal that came with it Ala American Mcgee's Alice was really cool.

Undying's pretty great. As noted, it's on GOG, and drennan (that's not me, for the record) on their forums made a mod to let widescreen resolutions work (normally the journal gets cut off). It's fantastic, though it only works in D3D mode, so no Glide effects.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I got to work with Terminal Reality a few years ago, and this was exactly the case. They were super proud of Nocturne, and for good reason. Such a shame it didn't become a series. My dad still plays it from time to time and it scares the poo poo out of him.

That's awesome, it is absolutely a game to be proud of. I was sad to see them go, I hope that, somehow, whoever has access to the guts of the game can get it to work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just tried out Nocturne on my dad's computer and discovered that it runs just fine there, so I guess my problem is having a laptop with an AMD card. Sadly, I don't really see an option there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember what a big deal the game's cloth physics and lighting were at the time.

Were the cloth physics as insane back then as they are on modern computers? Because now any clothes with physics parts look like they have a mind of their own and desperately want to escape. I love it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

And then, suddenly, Nocturne started working for me. :stare: I don't know what I did differently from the last time I tried using my switchable graphics card, but something this time worked. The only time switchable graphics have been useful for me, too. How bizarre. Oh well, here's one disc not leaving the drive until I finish the game!

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked how the third or fourth spell you got was weak as hell but blew up undead stuff instantly.

You could also use it on living enemies to make them kill themselves. Was that the same spell you used to raise the dead to fight for you?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually that's totally worth saying because I didn't even know the recent trilogy was a remake. The original looks rad too, I much would have preferred to play that.

Luckily enough, you can. It's on GOG, or at least the DOS version is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ghost Master is great. It's a shame there aren't more games like it. Sure, there are other games where you play ghosts and scare people off, but I really liked the strategy/Sims style of Ghost Master.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

25. Darkwatch

Oh man, I wish this came out on PC. I would love to play it, but I just can't do console FPS'. I love horror, and I love westerns, so a horror western would be right up my alley.

Kuon is another game I want to play, despite hearing it's rather middling in execution.

Edit: Darkwatch also has a horror remix of Ennio Morricone's theme for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. That's pretty cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

For those who feel like getting some classic horror adventures of mixed quality, Bundle Stars has the complete Dracula series on the cheap included with a bunch of other random horror-themed stuff, ranging from tolerably decent to total crap. Could get a worse deal for 5$, though.

Aren't the Steam vrsions of the Dracula trilogy like, bad ports of the cut-down iPhone ports? I keep hearing that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fantastic works, Zombie Samurai! Fantastic write-ups. Inspired me to talk about Alone in the Dark, because even though I'm bad at adventure games, I love that series.

Alone in the Dark

There were earlier Survival Horror games, Haunted House and Sweet Home comes to mind, but Alone in the Dark is the one the codified most of the elements of early Survival Horror that Resident Evil then popularised, such as 3D models on 2D backgrounds, and having two characters to choose from (though rather simple in Alone in the Dark, it's just a different model).

Of course, Alone in the Dark came out in 1992, so today it looks rather dated, but the backgrounds are decent, and the atmosphere is still pretty good. It was originally supposed to be a Chaosium liscenced Call of Cthulhu game, and though it didn't end up bearing the title, it has a suitably Lovecraftian story of madness and dark pacts with ancient beings, slowly uncovered by either Private Detective Edward Carnby or the niece of the house's now deceased owner, Emily Hartwood. It controls well, especially for the time, and is one of the few games with tank controls, or classic tank controls, that feels good to me. It's on GOG with the original sequels for $6, and for that price its certainly worth a try.

Alone in the Dark 2

Alone in the Dark 2 is a strange beast. The way I've heard it, the creators didn't really realise they'd evolved the Survival Horror genre, so 2 has less of a focus on horror and more on action. Of course, there's still elements of horror, just little touches, but there's also quite a few silly elements. Where Alone in the Dark had a Lovecraftian story of creeping dread, 2 features Edward Carnby (no character choice here) looking for a kidnapped little girl and coming across a mansion filled to the brim with zombie pirate gangsters. You get tommy guns, drink, dress up as Santa Clause, kick dwarf chefs in the face and, if you turn around right at the very beginning, get murdered in a drive-by by zombie gangsters. It's not a terrible game, it has its charms, but it has its clunky and is probably the weakest game in the original trilogy.

Alone in the Dark 3

Alone in the Dark 3 is, in many ways, a return to form. Edward Carnby goes to a Western ghost town to find what happened to a missing film crew, of which Emily Hartwood from the first game is a member. Of course, upon arriving he discovers the town is haunted by ghost cowboys who have no intention of letting him, or anybody, leave. Where 2 ditched most of the horror aspects, they're back here. The jaunty music is strangely foreboding, and when you do defeat one of the cowboys they turn into a black cat and screech with a haunting yowl. The plot draws together the stories of 1 and 2 as well, and though it occasionally dips into silliness (the final boss fight for example), its a far more solid experience, with some neat sequences. Of course, it uses the same engine as the first game still, and by this time it was starting to show its age. Definitely worth a look if you liked the first one, and even if you disliked the second.

Jack in the Dark

A small puzzle game that was released as a promotion between 1 and 2, it features Grace Saunders, the little girl from 2, caught in a haunted toy store where she must rescue Santa Clause from an evil jack-in-the-box. It's not scary, it's beatable in 10 minutes, but it's a delightful little game all the same and it comes in the package from GOG, so there's no point in not messing around with it for a bit

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Alone in the Dark was quiet for a bit, and Resident Evil came about, and Silent Hill and a plethora of other Survival Horror games came out in its wake. Finally, Atari decided to get back into the business, and in 2001, 7 years after Alone in the Dark 3, they released The New Nightmare. It's a reboot, and brings back the character choice from the first game, either Edward Carnby or Professor Aline Cedrac as they try and discover what exactly transpired on Shadow Island. They have separate story-lines, as they get split up in the opening cutscene, and play differently, a step up from the simple model change in the first game. It plays well, if not a little derivative of Resident Evil. The graphics are much nicer, the enemies need some work to take down and it has some nice touches and references to the earlier games. It does have some annoying things though. It may just be me, but Edward Carnby's double barrelled revolver and triple barrelled shotgun piss me the gently caress off, since they use two and three ammo at a time, respectively. Why? 12 bullets is only six shots from your revolver, why not a not stupid single barrelled revolver and six bullets? I dunno, maybe it's just me. Enemies also seem to spawn, and one time I got mobbed by like, six enemies when I went through a door because they kept spawning and congregating there. It can also have some compatibility issues, but there are ways to fix it. It's not a bad game, just not great. It's also on GOG, and also Steam and Gamersgate.

Also of note, there was an apparently pretty decent Gameboy Color(!) port that actually maintained the pre-rendered background gameplay of the main version (though it goes to a top-down shooter when you encounter enemies).

Alone in the Dark (2008)

And then, in 2008, out came Alone in the Dark. No, not that one, the fifth game in the series, also title Alone in the Dark. It's also not a reboot, it's a sequel to the first trilogy (or at least the first game, it only mentions the first one), and ignored The New Nightmare. It was originally titled Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation, but it went through some development Hell and when it came out it was... well, we'll get to that. First off, let me compliment the music. The music is absolutely fantastic, and easily the highlight of the game. That's pretty much the only good thing I can say about it.

It's big problem is probably the ambition. The game shot for the stars and could have reached it, but fell short. It had crafting, and platforming, and open-world segments, and nice fire physics, and a health system and inventory system that took place in real-time! All done well it should have worked, but every bit was half-finished by the time it released. I played on PC, and nothing controlled well. Moving was dreadful, driving was dreadful, the physics were wonky, inventory controls were slow and janky, and I never quite got combat to feel right. It styled itself as being like a episodic series, before that was cool, so it has a "DVD-Style Chapter Select" so you'll "never get stuck again." "Everybody can reach the climax" it states. Which is a Hell of a statement as the story is nuts, but would be decent enough if the game wasn't so broken that skipping actually seemed like a good idea. Of course, when you skip you get a recap so that you don't miss any story elements, but the recaps will, almost every time, be almost exactly the same, give you the same information, and then every once in a while you'll get a new scene at the end where somebody makes a statement that should have had more explanation in the recap but didn't (poo poo you've seen before and want to skip, blah-blah-blah, "Lucius and Ferrous means Lucifer!" and now back to the game!"). There's a scene near the beginning where you're driving through New York as these evil fissures tear the city apart, but the driving and car physics are so broken that it's nearly impossible. I've heard tales of the camera getting stuck but the car continuing so there's no choice but to die and start over. And start over you will! This entire section has no checkpoints. Zero. None. Zip. And you will die over and over again.

Interestingly, at release there was no PS3 version. That came later, called Alone in the Dark: Inferno, and was by all accounts much improved (though if it's actually good is up for debate, at least it's not the PC/360 or, God forbid, PS2/Wii versions that I hear are even worse). It fixed a lot of the physics, fixed a lot of the bugs, made going into the inventory pause (making things much more convenient), added some more sections, added checkpoints to the awful driving section mentioned above, and just generally gave the game some polish that it really needed. Of course, then Atari said that they planned to patch the PC/360 version to be the Inferno version. Then they said, well, only if Inferno sells well. Then supposedly the patch was too big for Microsoft to release it as a patch, so it was quietly cancelled. Then after a bunch of bitching Atari closed the Alone in the Dark section on their forums. Customer Service. If you're going to subject yourself to this game, do try to get Inferno. If, for whatever reason, you decide you need it on PC, it's on Steam and Gamersgate.

Alone in the Dark: Illumination

Recently announced, Illumination just showed up on Steam for pre-order. They haven't shown any gameplay videos, released one teaser trailer, two or three in-game shots, and several enviroment shots, but that's it. It's going to feature the grandson of Edward Carnby, the granddaughter of Emily Hartwood (now a witch), a priest and an engineer, and going to have some form of co-op play (they've been focusing on it on their website, but they've also said it might not be ready for release, and if so it'll come in a patch). Just about everything makes me nervous about it, but God help me, I an seriously thinking about pre-ordering. My love for the series is undiminished, apparently. It's supposed to come out "Fall 2014." Atari's not doing a good job promoting it.

Man, there's something missing here. Of course! The movie! It sucks. So hard. It is an absolutely dreadful movie loosely based on The New Nightmare. There was a sequel that I hear is better, but that's not exactly a high bar to cross and doesn't mean it's anywhere near good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh man, all you people who played the PS3 version are making me jealous. I'm glad to hear it is actually much better though, and yes, the story isn't great but the delivery on... well, a lot of Carnby's lines were amazing. Some day I'll get a PS3 and be able to play an Alone in the Dark 5 that doesn't make me hate everything.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Humble Weekly Bundle dropped. Got some good spooky games. Betrayer, Knock-knock, Five Nights at Freddy's. Also has Home, Vertical Drop Heroes (plus Halloween DLC), and for $15 you get Among the Sleep.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So apparently Denis Dyack is trying Shadow of the Eternals again, with a new company called Quantum Entanglement Entertainment (because I guess Precursor Games' reputation was too tarnished?) and I guess it's supposed to be company that does Video Games, TV and movies, and that the company is going to work to converge them and allow fans to influence things, which strikes me as a little odd considering Dyack's notoriously dictatorial rule over Silicone Knights.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Condemned 1 or 2 also had rad as hell MP and it made me sad that it died off somewhat quickly as the MP in not-big games tend to do.

One side would be the cops and the other were psychos, the cops would obviously have better up-front weaponry but the psychos could blend into the shadows, plant traps and stuff like that. Plus a lot of the maps were just spooky as hell, the best one was the farmhouse from the end of the first game, with a little bit of the outside house opened up as well. Being a cop and climbing up into the dark rear end, creaky attic was :stonk: every time even with a buddy playing backup.

The more I hear about Condemned 2 the more I wish it was on PC. I'm not even a multiplayer kind of guy and that sounds neat.

Edit: Even knowing the story goes absolutely nuts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I am terrible at adventure games, so when I played Scratches I had to check a guide for almost every puzzle. Then I think I hit a bug near the end and couldn't get any further, but up until then it was pretty good, I thought.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

As one of the poor bastards who love the Alone in the Dark series, I got to play a bit of the beta for Illumination. I'm running just below minimum specs, sadly, so I knew I wasn't going to get the game at its best, but... it's pretty dire. I had the game at its lowest settings and it ran at like, 15 frames, but ok. Ignoring all that, the load times are atrocious, but surely that'll be fixed as they keep going, or at least I'd hope so, right? Anyway, once you get into the game there's a big block of ugly text to give you the story, and then suddenly it's a mix of Left 4 Dead, except with seemingly infinite enemies, and Alan Wake, with them only being able to be injured in the light. Not any light, your flashlight won't do, but a burning barrel will, and a street lamp will. The animations are really, really bad, like, free Unity engine game bad.

There's some randomisation that's neat in idea, but all I've seen of it is "do you go through a house or a train yard first," though again I've not been able to get very far. I've seen three enemy types, one weird lanky thing that hits you, a weird lanky thing that explodes when it dies, and a gargoyle that spits at you, possibly through walls on occasion. Also, the camera is from the Evil Within school of thought, in that it's in super, super tight. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except the only indication that you're taking damage is a super subtle animation when you get hit, so it's really easy to just suddenly get the "you're dead!" pop-up, and it does just appear. There's no keeling over death animation or anything, you just suddenly disappear from the screen and a thing pops up to tell you your scores. There might be a scream, but if there is it's really quiet.

But, you know, below minimum specs, so I check out some videos. Every problem is there, save for poor frames. And seeing how it looks from people playing on "Epic" settings... it really doesn't look that good! Not bad, I'd say, but not stunning and fantastic, and especially not enough to warrant such high requirements. Just because you can use UE4, I suppose. I don't think there are any good UE4 games out yet, and this certainly doesn't seem to be bucking the trend.

But who knows, it's a beta, maybe Atari will go under and it won't actually be released, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought Dreadout was supposed to be skinpeelingly awful? You're the first person I've seen say anything positive about that game. What do you like about it?

I liked what I played of it, but then it got an update that meant I couldn't continue my save, and I haven't gotten around to replaying it. It has some problems, the scissor boss was a loving nightmare for a lot of people, and it has the respawn system where you run to the light, but every time you die the run gets longer and longer. That would appear to have been fixed in this latest patch (I haven't tried it yet though), so it should be much, much better. Other than that it's basically Indonesian Fatal Frame. It plays pretty well, it's got some good atmosphere, the spirits are a little stranger than what you normally see in western or Japanese works, and though it doesn't have as much lore as Fatal Frame, it has enough to intrigue.

Also, it's not the prettiest, but it looks solidly PS2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Sawculus Rift game. You can see your body flying away above you as your head falls into a waiting bucket, or see needles coming straight at your eyeballs or a trapdoor opening below you into a pool of acid... and also rusty razor blades.

There is that French Revolution guillotine simulator.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I was watching an LP of a fan made Halloween game a while back that, for its low budget, was still pretty intense. I can't help but think modern graphics and the Rift would lead to a few heart attacks.

FirstAidKite posted:

One of HarshlyCritical's best videos was him playing through a game that did this. It was called Babysitter Bloodbath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKRi36aFug

I'm surprised I don't hear about that game getting talked about more often. It's pretty great.

Assuming that Beaverhausen's talking about what I think, same game. I guess the creator had to change it for legal reasons. I like that the developer had a specific vision, PS1/VHS horror, and executed it exceptionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

Jason's kinda weird. He was supposed to have drowned to death when he was 10, and it upset his mother enough that she went crazy, but then he actually was really alive and living as a hermit, and still cognizant enough to remember her after finding her corpse.

He got killed in 3, and resurrected as a zombie thing in 5, and pretty much went full supernatural otherwise.

Killed in 4 (The Final Chapter) and resurrected in 6 (Jason Lives), 5 (A New Beginning) was also non-supernatural and it seemed like they were aiming for a slight mystery, there's some little clues around that let you know what's going on, but it really requires hindsight, but they never really fleshed that out.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Uh, yeah, that's kinda what I said. 4 thru 6 were the cult ones (well really 5 and 6) with all the supernatural bullshit. They also turned the Myers house from some nondescript two floor house into a sprawling Gothic mansion.

H20 doesn't acknowledge the cult poo poo at all. They had some plans to, but it was deliberately cut from the film.

I much prefer H20 to the cult bullshit. Just a better film.

Man, I hated H20, Thorn Cult for life here. There's still some references to 4-6 in the intro though.

I can't remember did the upcoming Friday the 13th game get mentioned here? There's going to be an awful lot of competition in that previously unexplored niche.