Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, whatever, death of the artist, Freddy's is just a bunch of weird animatronics. No occult bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

He was a child killer in the original, the remake made him a molester. But then Dream Warriors made his origin story that his mother was trapped in an insane asylum and raped a bunch of times giving birth to Freddy so... yeah, I hope people can see why I'm hyper critical of rape as a plot point!

no, you are quite obviously a sjw and you should just grow a b*ard and stop being a f*ckin p***y.

I bet these issues could be worked well into horror! There are more thoughtful ways to do them than 'oh no my masculinity' and outdated and cliche cultural interpretations of rape.

But let's stop talking about this. I was looking through SOMA's information. That looks great. Routine seems cool, too, but in the wake of Isolation doing its 80's future aesthetic and nailing it, ehh. Floppies in the future are a funny concept once.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anodyne owns. Kind of a spooky Link's Awakening. I don't know if Don't Starve would count as a Horror Game, but it is definitely a Halloween kinda game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some of the Yume Nikki offshoot games are pretty intriguing, too. So long as you shy away from the fandom bullshit (which, probably, you should do with most things), .flow can get into some weird, creepy poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

e: Also how much money are we betting that you're a murderer who's still chilling in this house or something?

Terrible segue, everyone should check out 9:05. It's an IF game, maybe 10 minutes long.

It's okay. Kind of a goofy ending (though I only got one), given that you're fighting the text parser the whole way through.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's some free game on Steam right now. Fingerpoints? Getting okay reviews. :v:

e: Fingerbones.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There was a pretty decent article on the (unfortunately, probably not gonna happen) Alan Wake 2 on Kotaku. I know, it's Kotaku, but :v: http://kotaku.com/a-look-at-what-alan-wake-2-couldve-been-1699184475

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unrelated I confused Super massive Games with Super giant games and was really looking forward to the awesome Until Dawn soundtrack

Right there with you, bud. "And then...Kid finds himself a saw deathtrap. Old, but still sharp enough to cut."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dark Descent's free right now on Steam.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Found my old Cosmology of Kyoto stuff. This game is clunky as hell but it's still drat good for slow-burn atmosphere stuff, even if it isn't out-and-out horror.

e: And Ice-Pick Lodge is not only making the Kickstarted remake of Pathologic, but also an up-rez edition coming out beforehand?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like Binding of Isaac except for the people who made it and the aesthetic. By that logic, I should love Our Darker Purpose. It just controls like crap. :negative:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Until Dawn, brah.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do you think there would've been more or less zombie sex?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Patrick Klepek on Kotaku made a list of the 'best' horror games, but because gently caress Gawker, I'll list it here for you. Amnesia: TDD, Outlast, Five Nights at Freddy's, Fatal Frame 2, Siren Blood Curse, Alien Isolation, Condemned 1, Dead Space, ZombiU, and Until Dawn, with honorable mentions to PT and Dreadhalls. Not the worst list ever, even if Outlast is The Lamest poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Pathologic is real good, yall.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd swap out FNAF and Outlast with any Silent Hills, Clock Tower, RE1/2, Pathologic. I'd put PT over FNAF any day of the week.

Brother, I'm with you on PT, Pathologic, Silent Hill 1-3, maybe REmake.

e: I caved and bought Pathologic. Translation's great. I love/hate this game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Giant Bomb quicklook of Blackbay Asylum is real good. There's some soul to that game. And I think it was made by all of two dudes so I can cut it a bit of slack.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What ever happened to Floppy Discs in Space? Can't remember the name. At the time, seemed like SOMA's contemporary. Protocol?

e: Stasis?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 24, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm kinda into Cyanide making the Cthulhu game. Styx wasn't an amazing game, but it was great at making you feel small in a big world. Sure, you could fight a guard or something, but he has friends, and they have swords, so you'd better jack him, grab what you need, and book it. If they can bring that attitude to Cthulhu, it might turn out okay.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Seeing one monster and having your options reduced to Babbling and Drooling doesn't seem like a very fun video game to me. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Corpse Party is real bad, though. At some point, it loses the tenseness and scariness and just becomes a weird fetish guro visual novel wrapped up in its story. In my opinion, anyway. :v: Just play Lone Survivor again! :D

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Condemned was partially so awesome because it was a 360 launch title. Horror games are hard to do right, and so are console launches. They nailed it first time out of the gate.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dark Souls 3 is not a horror game. I know the idea is that Dark Souls Is The Christ Of Gaming, but we cannot ascribe it to every single genre ever. Bloodborne, you could make a case. There's some hosed up stuff in it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it's okay to say there's a bit in Outlast where a crazy tries to cut your genitals off with a table saw so he can gently caress the wound.

I don't know. I really thought Outlast was trying Too Hard in a lot of ways. You know what didn't have any attempted genital mutilation? Alien Isolation. :colbert:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When I was like 13 playing RE4, the first giant, the blind wolverine dudes, and the regenerators scared the hell out of me. (But the cabin holdout scene with Luis was a ton of fun. I love that game.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They were gross and exploitative when combined with the dev interviews about her being someone the player would want to protect. That's my opinion, anyway. How about we stopping making GBS threads on people for theirs?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Should I play System Shock 2 first without any mods, or should I root around for some graphics rehauls?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zombie Samurai posted:

I still think it's just as effective without any mods. The base art style is a lot of bold lines and primary colors, so they help the chunky 3D models look more natural. If you haven't had any little panic attacks by the time you reach Hydroponics, maybe look into mods then.

Cool, will do. Just played the System Shock remake pre-alpha demo. It looks pretty. :shobon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"Asemblance." One S. Not two.

A-semblance. Not assemblance, the being assembled, a semblance, a thing that reminds you of another thing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

Ohhhhh that explains much.

I made the same mistake. :shobon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A goofy antagonist in Ramon Salazar does not discount the tension inherent to some parts of RE4. The village sequence. The novistadors. The two giants. The maze. The regenerators. There was some tense stuff in that game. Is it horror? Eh, maybe not. But I'll take tenseness over jump scares every time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's going to be in the next month's Humble Monthly for $11 along with whatever additional nonsense they add in, so that's not a bad deal.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, if Ice Pick could survive after producing Cargo!, I think they'll be fine.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you had OG Pathologic on gog when they released the HD version, you could get it for free, or at least at a heavy discount.

Speaking of: the rerelease is good. The Void is good. Knock-knock is good. These are good horror / tension games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like everything Ice-Pick has made except for Cargo!, which I just respect from a distance. I understand that after making Pathologic and The Void, they'd need to change gears a bit, but boy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Harvester is certainly a stylistic piece, and it certainly revels in the gore and nuttiness as much as it tries to critique it, but I don't think it works as well as some of y'all seem to. That's okay, though. :) I mostly only remembered it for the scene with Steve's dad and the endings, so going back and reading the LP was enlightening. On the other hand, it reminded me that Hardcore Gaming 101 exists, so I lost a few hours clicking around on there again.

Also, I don't recall when I got it, but I played through Belladonna recently. The art style is probably the best thing it has going for it, but if you're into gothic stuff, old school point-and-click, and lesbian clockwork frankensteins, it's worth the hour or so.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Body-Shocking 3D Horror Shooting

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

The guy really has a passion for making games. I've tried playing some of his older games. Boy, they are terrible, but he's one of the ones that managed to turn his hobby into his livelihood, so good on him.

He made a space Metroidvania that's 1) free and 2) pretty good, so dude's in my good books just for that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Deadly Premonition is great, gently caress everyone.

vv: The way a game plays does not equal how good a game is. I'm sorry if nobody's ever told you this.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anyone have a link to Anatomy? I can't seem to find it. Unless it's this: https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy