Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Five Nights at Freddy's was pretty fantastic, played it myself for a bit and just watched someone FINALLY finish it, probably the first person to do so without cheating as well. He finally got his $120 and some overtime to boot. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It's certainly very original as far as jump-scare games go.

See people say this but I wouldn't really call Five Nights at Freddy's a jumpscare game, past maybe the first time or two it happens. You get a pop scare if you fail, but you'll usually see them coming and know you messed up before it happens, plus that's not where the meat of the horror comes from, which is frantically scrambling through your cameras trying to keep a handle on these nutty animatronics coming to wring your neck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ovaries posted:

I just tried Freddy's, and I'm a bit lost on the mechanics after dying on the first night. Why do you need to bother looking at the cameras at all as opposed to just switching the doors' lights on every once in a while?

Starting on about Night 3, not ever looking at the camera turns into a pretty bad idea, past that it turns even worse when Freddy himself starts roaming.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ovaries posted:

But until then you don't need to monitor the cameras? Or at the very least, you only have to pay attention to the ones directly outside your room?

Yeah, the first night or two you don't need to keep as much of an eye on the extra rooms and junk. Really just watch those connecting hallways and the rooms just outside your office, then fiddle with the lights every so often.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I recommend HarshlyCritical because while he still does the scarecam bits (though only for things he thinks people might want to see his facial reactions for), he doesn't mug the camera and gives a more genuine reaction than people trying to ape PewDiePie who just scream and scream a ton. He's a cool dude.

I'm so glad other people have come to like his videos too, he's one of the only Youtube dudes I still regularly check in with for horror games and stuff like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also the best HarshlyCritical video :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I never felt threatened whatsoever in Dead Space was my problem. I played the game on the hardest difficulty with just the hand cutter for my second playthrough, it still wasn't scary when everything that came for you was pretty immediately trumped by the old 'Backpedal and shoot legs' shtick. Also saying that Five Nights at Freddy's has no tension building sounds really insincere, it makes it sound like you based your whole opinion off some gifs of people being surprised by it. Like when you die there's a jumpscare, but the rest of the game is tension built up from trying to keep track of the animatronics, which is where most of the actual horror comes from and why so far people have actually talked it up a bit more than the usual *Literally made for PDP/Markiplier* jumpscare games.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 21, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Really though, he at least seems like a decent enough guy when he's not playing a character for Youtube. I remember seeing a video of him talking about what he does and all that jazz and when he's not laying it on thick for his viewers, he seems pretty nice, so it's kind of a pity that he can't just be real without risk of people nagging about how his old gimmick was better.

Though about that, I don't get why so many people have to try and ape the stupid crazy hard PDP overacting. You're not gonna somehow pull their fans off of them, just record your genuine reactions if you wanna be some internet horror video guy and that usually works fine. Are you legitimately scared by the game? Good, that can be funny, record it. Are you completely unmoved about whatever the game's doing? Good, that can be funny too, record that! What's not funny is hamming up your reaction x10 every time a pin drops or a shadow wiggles around. :mad:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seems like a lot of people have strong opinions on Shattered Memories and Homecoming, but I never really see anyone talking about Downpour. I honestly thought it was pretty good. I guess maybe the fact that it wasn't really scary at all is why it seems to have left such a non-impression on people? Admittedly that's a pretty big problem in a horror game, but it had a lot of other elements that worked really well - it was very exploration focused, the combat was difficult and awkward but in a way that actually worked rather than being annoying and clunky, and the story... well the story was okay at best. The fact that what has already happened prior to the game starting changes depending on what ending you get is kind of dumb.

Downpour seemed pretty alright from what I've seen. Never played it myself but watched I think two different LPs on it now and both seemed to receive it well enough too, despite being fans of the previous games more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Plus scarecams have always and will always be incredibly stupid. Does anybody actually genuinely react to a scary game like that?

When you're not watching horrible retards yes, though sadly that's harder than it sounds when so many people try their hardest to ape jackoffs like PDP or Markiplier. When genuine human beings use scarecams it can actually be entertaining, seeing all the little reactions and movements on their face as tension builds up or when something actually gets them. Better yet, it's also funny when someone using a scarecam is entirely unphased by the game and starts laughing or making fun of it. Really the whole trick behind being -Successful scarecam video game person on the internet- is just to be genuine.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 1, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

He's such a prissy little poo poo in the comment section of his videos though. Cannot take any sort of criticism whatsoever.

Then again, Youtube criticism probably has to be the least constructive thing you'd ever read. :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I'm playing Siren right now and I'm starting to get the feeling this is purely a stealth game? Because if so gently caress that.

Yeah and there are some parts, as much as I like the game, that are just horrendous to get through where you're probably gonna die a dozen times first.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Judge Clayjar posted:

I think amnesia is cheap garbage with terrible aesthetic value for easily shocked losers

To be honest Amnesia just didn't do it for me at all. I loved the Penumbra games so when I saw those dudes were making Amnesia, I was pretty hyped for it. I don't regret giving them my money and all cause hey, I like their games and now their new one looks really good, but something about Ye Olde Spooky Castle™ just didn't work for me and I'm always a little disappointed that their game I liked the least blew up harder then the others.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Well she does share an explicit, on-screen kiss with another underage girl, so

Which shockingly, ~gamers~ were actually more mad than weird about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

1stGear posted:

why are you console trolling in the horror games thread

Someone got upset because someone called a crummy game bad or something

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

In hindsight I think I was fooled by the similar mechanic in Dark Corners of the Earth, where losing too much sanity would outright kill you.

Now there's a game I'm hella sad they didn't get to make a sequel for.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nosferatu is pretty good. You and your family have come to Count some and such's castle for a wedding I think it was, Count Notavampire is actually a vampire, go through his castle and save your family.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shindragon posted:

It's a must for Twin Peak fans and it has probably the most arguably best videogame main character ever made.

FBI Special Agent, Francis York Morgan. Just call me York, that's what everyone calls me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

More and more I'm disappointed that The Thing (The game obviously) came out when it did. It had a lot of fun ideas that just couldn't be done within the power of the PS2/Xbox.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I like my Silent Hill, but honestly the worst thing to happen to the series in the long run is the early games themselves. 3 and 4 did their own junk pretty well, but past that it's just been "HEY, REMEMBER THIS AND THAT FROM SH1-2?!" forever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I remember trying to play Siren and utterly failing due to a combination of awful controls, terrible cameras, and general difficulty.

I could deal with all that really, but jesus god almighty the english voices in the original.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Morpheus posted:

But it has no focus.

To be honest this ruined the game for me. It didn't help that the game's marketing and early end were really kind of deceiving. All the trailers, adverts and so on show the handful of real spooky atmosphere in the game, with SOME combat and the handful of big spooky setpieces. Any demos I saw were only for the early part of the game, again where all the atmosphere was. Like yeah you could say look up gameplay stuff, but I didn't wanna just sit there and watch a full LP of a game I planned on playing, so again it was the early parts again at most.

So then after about the first handful of areas it just turns into RE4, tons of combat which was done well, but not really what I had wanted. Then the game just doesn't know what it wants to be. At times it was spooky "Dark poo poo's going down" story, then it wants to be hammer horror bordering on laughs, then it wants to be some psychological thriller or an outright action movie. Like jesus christ did the entire design team work, sealed off into different rooms for the duration? Not to mention the characters being these weirdly straight-faced, flat people only worked in some of those situations, otherwise it's like an [Actor Missing] feeling.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 12, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Niggurath posted:

But overall it was an enjoyable horror game when the market has become flooded with Slender or Amnesia Five Nights at Freddy's clones.

Fixed for maximum clarity.

The handful of good horror LP'ers I watch have been playing a couple of them lately, without even realizing they were gonna be that before they started. Either way though, FNAF is the new hot topic so every lovely indie clone has now swung around to that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HarshlyCritical is indeed pretty awesome. I was the dude that first posted that one video of his in here, which was a "Scare montage" of him having the most mild, ridiculing reactions to bad horror game scares, where you know anyone else would've banshee wailed and flown out of their chair.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

I've only seen a few videos but when something surprises him it's legitimate. His reaction is real and makes it funnier.

That's what kills me, I've said it before but being genuine is the best quality to have when you're playing horror games and things like that. Are you actually on edge or spooked by things? Good, it's fun to watch people on the edge of their seat! Are you totally unfazed by what's happening? That's really entertaining too, keep going! I wish so many people hadn't duped themselves into thinking you've gotta flail and rupture your vocal cords over the most minute pin drop to be entertaining or to get viewers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I would just stop caring as soon as I realized that the game doesn't have anything that actually threatens you.

This is word for word what ruined the Dead Space games for me pretty much. I can't even say this as a brag because it didn't feel that hard: I beat Dead Space on the hardest difficulty with only the basic hand cutter, because all you need to do is backpedal. Monsters lose a whole, whole lot of threat when you realize you can backpedal away from them and blow their legs off, then leisurely stride up to them and kick their face into 100 pieces. It's kind of funny sure, but it's not scary especially when you start doing it so often.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

Condemned 2: hobo murderin' boogaloo is a fond memory, even though the story jumps the shark

Condemned 1 or 2 also had rad as hell MP and it made me sad that it died off somewhat quickly as the MP in not-big games tend to do.

One side would be the cops and the other were psychos, the cops would obviously have better up-front weaponry but the psychos could blend into the shadows, plant traps and stuff like that. Plus a lot of the maps were just spooky as hell, the best one was the farmhouse from the end of the first game, with a little bit of the outside house opened up as well. Being a cop and climbing up into the dark rear end, creaky attic was :stonk: every time even with a buddy playing backup.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Len posted:

What do we know about Silent Hills?

That it's gonna be spooky as gently caress if they make the real thing anything like more of PT. :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm trying to remember if there was much ridiculous adventure game BS in Sanitarium. I replayed it again just a little bit back even, but I can't really remember anything that threw me for a loop too hard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

Alien: Isolation is a good game?

The firrrst about half or so is. The game started to drag really hard after a point and it felt like an obvious 'It's gotta be longer than this!' order from the publisher.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Cabin in the Woods was loving awful. It was just insultingly nudge-wink and painfully obvious.

Thank you for having a good and cool opinion about that movie. Everyone I've ever talked to loves it but I apparently hate fun and thought it was rear end, minus seeing soldiers fight weird monsters for like 5 minutes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fran Bow is pretty neat from the demo, though fair word of warning I guess, a lot of :gonk: abuse stuff involving kids ahead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue is that you might want to not put a monster in, but you can't actually -tell- the player they aren't in any danger. But it seems like every horror dev that wants to attempt it put -NO MONSTER NO DANGER ALL ATMOSPHERE- in bold on the top of the features list and just screw it up.

The problem is that if you don't let people know ahead of time, you get a billion angry Steam reviews bitching that they couldn't properly scream and cry with the lack of spooky pop-out monsters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Heavy Rain was also voiced almost entirely by French people who sound like english is maybe their third language, the kids are especially terrible and obvious. I think Shelby was one of the only actual American guys voicing an American guy, which was why he has some of the only reads that sound pretty good from what I remember.

It's also unfortunate because Shelby was one of the only dudes I liked much, other than Nahman Jaaayden for being (Unintentionally?) funny.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Indigo Prophecy even with it's cheesiness, was legit good when it was still in the realm of murder mystery. Just a shame how fast it turned into crazy Matrix fleas trying to kill you in your office.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I completely forgot about the random blackouts he had that were never explained or even explored further.

That was thanks to the huge rewrite to get rid of the paranormal stuff they were gonna have at first.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 29, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ekster posted:

Note that everyone who tries to kill Madison (tons of people) does so in a really creepy sexualized manner, like a doctor who sells drugs illegally drugging/clubbing her unconscious, strapping her on a table, then menacingly closing an electric drill to her vagina unless you manage to escape. Or how she wants to have sex with Ethan even though he's wounded and his son is literally hours away from drowning.

Don't forget that even her introduction, the apartment dream sequence where burglars or something are trying to get her, is pretty rapey too.

Also for people who never played his other game Omikron: Nomad Soul, you're basically a tech ghost thing that controls various people in this future setting. One of the earlier things I remember is the option to bone the girlfriend of the guy who's body you're in.

David Cage also ogled and was weird to Ellen Page throughout the development of Beyond: Two Souls, including apparently busting out an album of kid pictures of her he got from I forget where even.

David Cage is a pretty big creepo.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 29, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Forgot to mention, Ellen Page Jodie comes really close (Maybe depending on choices?) to getting outright raped like 3 separate times in Beyond: Two Souls also. That game was pretty miserable at times remembering it, goddamn. Please refer to my previous ending statement.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ekster posted:

There's an audio clip where you hear her actually being raped in the bar scene in the game files.

I guess I should at least be thankful that teen gangrape was too far even for David Cage to include in the end :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok, is there a good LP to Beyond (i know there was a goon LP but it was really terrible and weird and there was drama involved?) and what is the basic storyline again? i know Helen Paige is a super secretive psychic agent but that's about it

Two Best Friends have an LP that's them laughing at it/rightfully making GBS threads on David Cage nearly the whole time. I'd highly recommend it.