Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Amidst all these news, not a lot of love is being given to Spooky's House of Jump Scares which came out on Steam a scant few days ago. Definitely not what I expected and it makes me nope pretty hard out of the game. It's free, so do give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If you thought to yourself that you hadn't been spooked enough today, the final update to Spooky's House of Jump Scares has just been released. Aside from the actual final portion of the game being done, they seem to have added some new stuff to what has already been released.

I wanted to check it out, but I started feeling spooked by the time I got to Room 50...

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Niggurath posted:

So do you have $2 and a spare two hours, then please do give a try to Stray Cat Crossing. It's a wonderfully surreal RPG maker game with a great art style and a nice story; not entirely straight horror but still had well worth the price of admission.

Seconded. It's definitely an odd game, engaging all the way through.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Niggurath posted:

Eh, I enjoyed the first one more than the second one but it's been forever since I played either one, so maybe it's rose tinted glasses. I mostly just remember the third one being awful. Also Cryostasis was a good game in the same vein as Penumbra, but it might be my same rose tinted memory.

The third was basically a level pack, but it's still worth a playthrough, since they do some interesting things with the mechanics. But the story is over with the second one.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
So I've been playing I Can't Escape: Darkness and it's pretty creepy dungeon crawler. I'm not that far in because I'm a little baby and all those sounds are making me a bit too tense.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

This game is better than you'd think. I dismissed it at first because of the graphics, but then gave it a fair shot and got hooked.

It's not because the graphics are terrible in particular, it's just that the style is used so often that it's usually a sign of low-effort. But no, here they use it to great effect.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Stranger Things is really drat good, but it's not like this thread needs any more convincing.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Scott was trolling, the game's on track to be released tomorrow.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The guy pulled a Trump because every news outlet brought attention to the game's imminent (non)release and made everybody care about it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I keep hearing great things about Anatomy from all y'all but I haven't seen it around the internet. Could someone post a store link?

Link to Anatomy

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Insanity Clicker appears to be a reskin of Clicker Heroes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Thumper is a bit freaky, so it might make for a good horror game. It's also drat hard - expect to tilt.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Spooky's is really cool and the DLC is also worth checking out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I've played the Swapper some time ago, but never really got far into it. I'll give it another go this weekend since I did like what I've played of it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I think Scratches was delisted some time ago. I also recall someone already writing a review in the Steam thread for Scratches since that's why I bought in the first place.

In other news, the Nippon Ichi cute horror game Yomawari is coming out later today. There actually is a discount for it if you buy the special bundle with the artbook and the soundtrack, since it'll cost slightly less than buying only the game.

EDIT: I already preordered the game, so I might post some impressions later today.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I wanted to say something about Yomawari, but the game crashes after launch for everyone without Win 10 and a plugged-in Xbox 360 controller.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Bogart posted:

Anodyne's good. If you liked the game boy Zelda games, it's for you.

There's a bit more to Anodyne than meets the eye. Definitely worth checking out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

brand name canned soup posted:

Anyone tried Stories Untold yet? I appreciated The House Abandon for playing with the text adventure format but found it kind of simplistic and one-note. Do the other stories do anything different or interesting to make the package worth ten bucks?

It does do different things with the format. I wish it was somewhat longer, but it's tight and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's worth picking up sooner or later.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

discworld is all I read posted:

So who's excited for some horror coming out tomorrow? On the one hand we got the new cyber punk hack horror game 'Observer' from the people that did Layers of Fear and we also get the re-release of Night Trap (which I found out today is going to have some prototype demo game along with it called 'Scene of the Crime': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBBDyRn3b0). Pretty excited all around.

The trailer for >observer way back when was interesting. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
>observer is some heavy poo poo. It feels like it's the new SOMA. The game might not be long from what people are saying, but there's a lot to take in, so don't be surprised if you spend minutes just soaking in all the details.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Bogart posted:

Hello. Is >Observer_ good? Staring at this Layers of Fear discount.

(use lgbtqa in general. lots of people don't like being called queer!)

It's great. This game is really going to put the studio on the map from what I've played so far.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Well, I'll be passing on this one, thanks for the heads-up. I still need to watch John or MrKravin play it but the protagonists of both SOMA and of Layers of Fear were so off-putting (especially in the latter) that I'm inclined to avoid.

Like designed after him or he's actually credited in the game?

Observer is way better than Layers of Fear, I guess partly because I love these futuristic dystopias.

He's credited in the game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is no toss, you're always the simon alone at the bottom of the sea (until the epilogue obviously). it should be easy for him to understand. i thought he realized it during the final upload and was just pumped some copy would make it.

This idea didn't really click for me right up until the end, so I can see how Simon didn't realize what would happen until it happened.

I guess I was too busy being scared of/by the monsters to really think this over during the game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Oh, I understand that, and in that sense it's well done! It just left me feeling so grimy, yet another protagonist who is a possessive creep toward his wife, coveted her talent after his accident (if I'm remembering that right, was she the violinist or was he and took up art after?)/was upset at the outside positive attention she got to the point of obsession. I think it's more to with what I enjoy experiencing in a horror story and disassociating from what a particular protagonist does. In terms of these kind of horror experiences I really enjoyed Narcosis, but I related to that protagonist far more than LoF or SOMA. Then again were I Simon I'd be excited to wander the ocean floor in a tough robot body, but that kind of exploration is a dream of mine.

SOMA felt like the perfect storm to me, especially during the deep sea walk with barely any light to shine your way. It was claustrophobic, oppressive and somewhat poignant. You could feel the weight of the world bearing down on you. I don't want to get into RPS-style wankery, though.

EDIT: Beaten Observer. The game is packed top to bottom and there's multiple choices for everything, so it's definitely replayable.

SOMA still maintains the top spot for me, but Observer is way up there and definitely something you have to check out sooner or later.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 17, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Meallan posted:

Yeah, sometimes they dragged on. The use of loud noises, flashing lights and glitches really did make those segments feel unsettling, like invading ones mind should be. But these methods are also the kind that get really exhausting when done over a long periods of time. The mindjack segments could honestly have been some minutes shorter.

The bigger problem was that there simply wasn't that much to do, and then about 3/4 of it was backstory that was overly stretched out. Or rather, you already knew what the deal was with these people before you entered their minds, so spending the next 20 minutes retracing these steps wasn't the best idea.

By the way, guess what's unlocking in a few hours. It'll be 30 dollars with a 15% launch discount.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 22, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if there's even going to be a story, not having one would be pretty Beksinski and I think would fit.

At the end you find a mirror and in its reflection you gaze upon true horror. You see Mike Dawson.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

That was a weird game.

Spooktober is coming soon and I'm going to power through a few horror games that have been sitting on the backburner, FNAF included (I wussed out by Day 3).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

discworld is all I read posted:

I've heard some comparisons with visuals and tone in a recent goon made game called 'The Nothing': http://store.steampowered.com/app/672690/The_Nothing/

It looks freaky and unsettling.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Ooo, I didn't know Dead End Road dev was a goon. I might pick this up later, thanks for the heads up.

We had a discussion in work about horror games yesterday, my manager was talking about how Emily Wants To Play was the scariest poo poo ever. I'm trying to get a list of real spooky/cheap games to force him to play to show him some good scares. The one I want to get him to play is imscared because I goddamn love that game, but it's a bit of a hard sell. maybe White Day would be more suitable.

Get him to try Ib or the Witch's House. These catch everyone off guard.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Yancy_Street posted:

I'm a little tipsy on a Sunday, so I thought I'd recommend a few horror games I've enjoyed recently:

Dead Secret - probably my favorite game in a while. Excellent writing and a lot of smart literary metaphors. If you remember that short from the Tales from the Darkside movie about the gargoyles, you'll really enjoy this one.
Kraven Manor - shockingly good short FPS game made by a small team of college students with a fun Tetris-esque room design motif.
Albino Lullaby - best goddamned non-jump scare "weird and disturbing = scary" game I can think of. Can't wait for the next episode.
Darkwood - really drat clever. I love the camera perspective and art style. Way more of an actual game than most horror games these days.
The Count Lucanor - like a weird and funny and creepy Zelda. Amazing game.
Maize - hilariously dumb with creepy moments.
This Strange Realm of Mine - an insane, weird Doom-ish 2.5D game written by a 13 year old who is also insane.

I've added a bunch of these to my waiting list, thanks.

Maize is carried by its story which is pretty amusing throughout. Mechanically the game could have been somewhat better. I am, however, glad they highlighted every object you can interact with.

Dead Secret can get pretty creepy even without VR, so definitely check this one out. It has this Android-game vibe to it that just pulls you in despite looking, well, like an Android game ported to the PC.

The Count Lucanor is actually a pretty good game, but it just flew under the radar pretty hard. Yet another argument against Discoverability. Definitely pick this one up when you get the chance.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Crabtree posted:

Be careful with this one as its, uh, let's say style is very take it or leave it. I especially remember Voidburger just losing the will to finish it as she streamed because of its particular flavor of British humor got old. Fast.

The big thing against it is that the game is slow. It's basically a walking simulator in which you happen to pick things up and use them in obvious ways.

As for the humour, you'll either like it or bounce off pretty hard.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Bogart posted:

Anatomy is pretty good

Pro-buy. The game really knew how to make the mundane really unsettling.

EDIT: LocalHost seems interesting, I think I'll give it a try.

Is the game really only half an hour long?

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 18, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Consortium: The Tower will release soon in Early Access. It might seem unrelated to this thread, but if you dug deep into the previous game, there's some meta-existential fuckery afoot throughout the series, and we should be getting a better idea of what's up in The Tower.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Danaru posted:

Spoiling some minor Consortium chat because even the tiniest things are the best

I legit can't tell if Keiran earnestly asking you about the game and how it works is my favourite reaction, or Knight 15's deadpan "Oh boy." when her special agent tells the leader of the Consortium that he's a time traveler from another dimension :allears: It's such an honest reaction and it makes me laugh every time Consortium is the best and I can't wait for The Tower.

Another horror moment I just remembered because I missed it like the first five times I played through, If you talk to Pawn 1 on the bridge after you get the CMC, he goes on a tirade about how you loving suck, and when you ask about Bishop 6's past, important parts of his dialogue are static'd out, and in the subtitles it shows up as 21212121 over and over. Afterwards your only dialogue option is something like "You mUsT Not kNOw aBouT thE AgenT's pAst", and if you pick it, everyone reacts as if you said the line in King's voice :stonk:

I really hope The Tower makes the series more popular, Consortium is an absolute treasure :saddowns:

There's a lot of neat things like that if you try to go off-script. Your first playthrough will be mostly by the book, but on repeat playthroughs you'll be able to use your foreknowledge to do things differently. It's like some kind of weird Groundhog Day-esque sci-fi game.

The first game also comes with a .pdf that explains the ARG game that came before it. Highly recommended reading, since it explains a lot about the stuff that's going on.

Here's something you might not have tried: as you were disconnecting right at the end, did you turn around?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

This is a new level of nightmare fuel.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

the black husserl posted:

Why don't horror game developers make their monsters like this??

You have all the power of a computing engine to do insane surreal poo poo, but every single game developer just makes something that could have been accomplished with sculpture or practical effects IRL back in the 70s. Every single videogame monster is just the wolfman or Giger done in CGI. Lovecraftian game developers: instead of hooded cultists, put these dudes into your game.

Seconded. I'd see that CGI monstrosity running towards me, I'd just nope the hell out of the city.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

This looks neat. There's never enough FMV games.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Skyscraper posted:

So, how's Echo for a horror game?

It's more unsettling than horror. It's definitely an interesting experience, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mindblast posted:

I agree, it's just baffling how it is lost on people. They go in with a pre existing idea as to how the game is supposed to be played and are completely frozen in this mindset. "I played thief and hitman and aced those games so therefore I know how stealth is supposed to go and this game is bad".

The game spends a solid minute or two spelling it out for the player. The rest is just figuring out how to work within the constraints and abuse them.

There's a few tactics I liked to employ towards the end:

- performing unnecessary actions that would cause the echoes to waste their time doing something else (activating an elevator is a solid one)
- performing actions that would lead the echoes to act predictably and perhaps change their patrol paths
- shooting them because the action the echoes learn is to shoot En, and since they all look like En, they will actually start shooting at each other if their paths cross

The game is full of these little quirks that really elevate the game into something special. I'll most likely start an Ultra Hard run sometime soon just to see how far I can abuse the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Definitely check out the latest Humble Gems Bundle 2 as it has The Count Lucanor, Tattletail and Slayaway Camp for all your horror needs. All are pro-buys, but if your budget is tight, at least pick up the entry tier.