Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Relin posted:

there is one, i'm the only one who posted in it

people learned a hard lesson from machine for pigs

your post consisted almost entirely of a link to a rambling reddit rear end in a top hat who spells out the entire plot sans spoiler tags and goes IT'S poo poo 0/10

hard to do any kind of discussion about that

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Played about three hours of Soma

It's real good, and I enjoy how things that would be the "twist" of any other game are spelled out pretty quickly in that time frame

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

The main character of Soma is insufferable, good Lord. He's completely tonally incongruent with the game's atmosphere.

how is someone from 2015 a robot racist that's what gets me, especially someone who is established as a giant nerd

I'd be loving psyched about robots (when they're not trying to murder me)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Demiurge4 posted:

SOMA's main character's ignorance can be annoying yeah, but he's not supposed to be your standin. He's just a poor sob who's not too smart and doesn't grasp advanced sci-fi concepts because he's not a gamer who's been exposed to every trope in existence.

He works at a book/boardgame/comic book store! He should be at least aware of some of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not too far into the game, I must have missed the log that explained the naked dudes with structure gel heads in the sunken ship because there was a lot of "Can I look at him? Can he see me? How hosed am I?" trial and error.

Fun game though!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orikaeshigitae posted:

AFAIK there isn't one. They're called "fleshers" in the files if that helps, but it seems to be a general category of monster more than a specific type.

going through the files I think it might actually be mscurie_reanimated_male

not that it makes a ton of difference

also going through these makes me dread a lot of poo poo I'm going to see coming up!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also if you're ever in the injured limping state with no health holes around you might as well shove your head up a monster's rear end in a top hat anyway because trying to run around like that is loving impossible

I know Frictional and a lot of horror game developers are trying to find ways to make failure states less frustrating but this isn't it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm spooked all the time by everything and I hope I never lose this sense of spookitude

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know where you guys get the impression the ARK is a bad thing. The simulations you put Wan in are lovely and not meant for ARK use, and in some of them he only starts to freak out when Catherine asks him for the security cipher. And WAU is clearly not super great at the whole "create a simulation that won't gently caress your brain up" thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Niggurath posted:

So out of curiosity, and because I know someone who might be able to actually translate this, but how long would you say this game is?

oh man don't you tease me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
saying that people should play system shock 2 in tyol 2015 as a horror experience is setting them up for disappointment

SOMA is fine. I like it better than Amnesia since SOMA actually lets you have breathing room

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
which sounds like someone who played SS2 back when it was A Thing would say

does not hold up for a first time play so much now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
prey has a unique setting but that's just about the only memorable thing about it

that and racism, anyway

doing the whole thing over is fine by me

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh, I guess he has a sort of Asian last name. Eh, we'll see.

Yu is not a "sort of asian" last name it is definitely a Chinese last name

also I've never heard anything about the voice actor giving them notes on accuracy. If he had a say in the creative process I imagine he would have told the writers that giving your Cherokee lead the first name Tommy and a last name that translates to Hawk was a bad idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all are forgetting the Regenerators, which in context and with all the slow build-up they have are actually pretty scary in addition to being legitimately dangerous

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the loving regenerators

also I'm confused at the implication that dead space 2 isn't a way better and scarier game than the first one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
name all my horror games after marvel symbiotes please

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gay Horney posted:

A video got posted in here not too long ago of a dude walking through his house in Japan that had been flooded, every left turn he said this is the longest hallway in my house and it was creepy as heck. I can't find it for the life of me, anyone remember?

Edits--found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

"this is not horror video" - a big loving liar, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

You're probably being funny, but in case you're not, the video's an elaborate mockup that uses camera tricks and weird transitions to make a single hallway seem to be about half a mile long, with the rooms becoming gradually more decayed on each pass. The captions maintain the same slightly broken deadpan and repetition of phrases, which makes the whole thing appropriately unsettling.

don't forget the loving decayed corpses of her grandparents

it's weird that no one mentions those when they talk about this video even without doing the admittedly good "this is totally normal" gimmick

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure Dr. Salvador isn't even a real doctor

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

1stGear posted:

Its just Prey and if you're hoping for a sequel to the 2006 game I have goodterrible news for you.

nobody was hoping for a sequel to the 2006 game that wasn't the badass space bounty hunter game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a stephen king novel wouldn't pull the lame-rear end it wasn't actually supernatural it was actually this tech thing that for all intents and purposes is identical to something supernatural card

which other than the generally tasteless and ineffective edgy horror is my huge bugbear.for the series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cell is upfront about what it is, at least. What it is doesn't make sense but it's not misleading and then tries to present what's going on as a big reveal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"The protagonists do the proper thing to defeat the threat, you actually see the threat get defeated, and then it inexplicably pops up again at the last second to kill everyone because gently caress you" is my least favorite thing in horror and reminds me of all the awful early 2000's generic B-movie attempts that end exactly like that

I'd rather have nothing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I still think Kenji Eno actually had something going on mentally because D2 is the level of bizarre and surreal that feels like it was made by someone with an actual disconnect from reality

plus that time he threw a playstation on the ground and stomped on it on stage at TGS

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm watching the LP and I just got to the part in D where it's revealed that you have the blood of Dracula in you.

:laffo:

What the fuuuuuck. So far the game is slow and goofy, does the poo poo hit the fan later on or is that reserved for D2?

it definitely doesn't kick off till D2

I will also warn you that a lot, a lot, a looooot of D2 is characters having long rambling stream of consciousness monologues that have nothing to do with anything

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
D2 is the time cube of video games

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also in the strictest terms you have a sword and you're going to hel

shoulda been called helblade honestly

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
at least in white day you just die when your health hits zero instead of a monster touching you and then forcing you to stumble around uselessly like an idiot until you get the monster to kill you again so you can just loving play the game normally

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like that mix of the illusion of death and actual death is important for a horror game. Too much of the latter is frustrating and too much of the former isn't scary.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought RE7 was fine the way it was

There clearly was not enough game there if it was just the Bakers and nothing else. I rather have the traditional RE game they made than yet another getting chased down by single unkillable entities game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gone Home really stuck in my craw because it was always sold to me as a horror game about a stormy night and an abandoned, ransacked house

When the game came out and it was absolutely not that(because it's actually a story about one of your family members coming out of the closet) I was a little pissed; I'm not sure what its marketing campaign was originally, how forward were they with "this is not a scary game, this is a game about sad people you never meet"?

Gone Home was never presented as a horror game by the devs so sorry someone lied to you I guess?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just can't handle all these blazing hot gone home takes in the year of our lord 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Gone Home was always a pretty good indie game and nothing more. The reason why it's a huge cultural touchstone now is the controversy from salty nerds

This is no joke the only Gone Home discussion I've seen in years that doesn't involve someone screaming about "the SJWs"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The first monster is absolutely the one I felt the most (or any) tension in dealing with and he's basically Big Dog but even more terrifying so he's okay in my book

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fil5000 posted:

Dennis Dyack did two kickstarters for it and both failed. Last news seems to be that he started another company three years ago to restart it, but that company's website doesn't seem to have had any updates about it since the initial announcement.

Edit: vvvv also that

so that company was a huge loving scam started to avoid paying the massive debt silicon knights accrued

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not one worth derailing a good thread over, calm your virtue

gently caress off shithead

Anyway, horror. I started playing Secret world because it rebooted and I hate myself and have a crippling F2P MMO addiction but that game actually has some surprisingly spooky bits in it, which got me thinking about how hard it must be to do horror in an MMORPG.

Which then got me thinking about Resident Evil Outbreak and man what a weird janky amazing game that nobody could ever have played in the proper conditions for it to actually be good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Len posted:

How far along are you? There's some good ones in Tokyo

Just hit Savage Coast. Found a loving free-standing door in a burnt-out motel room and stopped there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GulagDolls posted:

the best thing about 7 days a skeptic was how every single aspect of space physics was wrong

okay neil degrasse tyson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dreadwroth posted:

Just play the original Secret World, the reboot is total garbage and unfinished anyway.
In short, gently caress Funcom.

Not only do I not know how one would do this, I don't want to. I hate basically everything about vanilla Secret World's combat and progression.