Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You talked me in to it, tall man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
They are both hilarious and ridiculous, also if you think those are bad you should check out No One Lives.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Bring back Tecmo's Deception, please.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

~~~I've lost my mind on what I'd find...All of the pressure that I left behind....On Allison Road~~

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Just give me Alone in the Dark with a microtransaction system and maybe hats.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey all. I didn't see this mentioned but I thought it belonged in this thread since there isn't a general Arcade Thread (for good reason :smith: ).I recently got to play Namco's horror themed light gun shooter Dark Escape 4D. This thing was ridiculous in a cheesy way. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03m8IXHVb8

It relies mostly on copious amounts of jump scares. It was fun as an experience because my partner is susceptible to jump scares. As a game it was ok. The survival horror aspect of it was hard to get into because your gun is an unlimited ammo machine gun. It was also expensive at the place we were at. $2 a play :eek: Anyone else seen or played it?

i love gimmicky poo poo like this and would love to try it out.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
seeing that movie when it came out as a 14 year old in a crowded theater is up there with one of the best movie-watching experiences of my life, mainly because a little over halfway through the AC in the theater died and everyone just ended up sweating bullets for the last 30 minutes while simultaneously getting those "spooky spine chills"

Parachute
May 18, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

i saw it on vhs on a portable tv in a tent in the woods behind my best friend's house and we almost died irl

this is a v dangerous scenario

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like that because in my head its just a really ultra short intense game like jfk reloaded, but not like it in any way.

in fact, are there any horror games like that? extremely short and intense with one singular objective and maybe cool physics stuff too, is what im getting at

Parachute
May 18, 2003
not me, after reading that review i really want to try it out. that psychological stuff reminds me of those goofy tricks eternal darkness would like to play on you and a retro veneer that i dig

Parachute
May 18, 2003

this looks fun.

also, has anyone here checked out Scavenger SV-4? It's like a mix of a roguelike, space sim, and planet exploration game (sort of) and i think it's goon-made.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/779590/Scavenger_SV4/

Parachute
May 18, 2003
cool, i can log in to steam at work and click "install" and it will automatically just add it to your library to install later if you want. learned a thing today.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
tbf those sound exactly like the games my wife would like; interactive horror movies with little to no combat whatsoever of any kind

in fact, anyone got some good recommendations for those?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
knowing that kids will consume horror and trying to make games that will satiate those feelings of wanting to be scared without it being traumatic or super violent is totally awesome.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
all monsters can teleport its what makes them scary

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Danaru posted:

Friday the 13th did an amazing job with that, where Jason could inaccurately teleport around the map as well as being able to more accurately teleport by turning invisible and shooting forward at a high speed. There was no better feeling than shifting through the door just before someone locks it, only to grab them when they turn around :allears: also it hid Jason appearing out of the ether with a short VHS tracking error effect which was just perfect.

I hate the legal shadowrealm that game got thrown into :smith:

hell yeah now thats sticking to the franchise in every way including the legal shadowrealm

Parachute
May 18, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not that they shouldn't have payed him a lot more.

agreed and i dont know how these things work but youd think if you pen a script for a movie you'd want some kind of licensing or residual money regardless of how successful you think it may be, but if you just sell it for a flat rate thinking theres no way this movie is going to do gangbusters that's kind of on you (or your lovely attorney/lackthereof)

Edit: oh this is how:

quote:

Because of the 1976 US Copyright Act, artists have the ability to challenge for the rights to work they may have sold off after 35 years.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
isnt that why the tv writers strike happened? they werent included in the residuals of dvd sales/syndication and the seinfeld box set had just come out

Parachute
May 18, 2003
who are the other auteur's out there like scott cawthon?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
we talked about it earlier but the real true video game auteur is scott cawthon

Parachute
May 18, 2003
he just has a very outgoing personality, which is very different than a lot of ppl in the gaming industry, and that likely translates in to game sales somehow.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
after the nth time the pursuer should just break the object you're running around and kill you via glitch for being a smart rear end

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im just happy tobin bell was able to milk a role out of every single installment of that franchise

also did any of yall see the collector/collection? they were kind of similar to saw but involved more of a home alone style house iirc but might make decent games.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

al-azad posted:

The Collector is a decent home invasion movie but the sequel is trashy as hell and super fun. It's also cool that the protag eventually wins and captures the villain by doing the barest amount of investigation. Essentially he does a Google search of every entomologist in the area which reveals that there's one dude with a Scooby Doo past that would give him the motive for being a criminal mastermind, not to mention there's one dude in the entire state ordering thousands of gallons of preservatives and catgut who isn't a doctor or mortician.

I wish we got more villain vs. villain horror films. Freddy vs. Jason was fun, but even something like Jigsaw vs. a Mr. Glass type would be cool as you have these people with superhero levels of insight one upping each other. "I knew this video was taped 2 days so I broke into your safe yesterday to save the girl inside" "I saw you going in from the 7/11 camera feed across the street so I poisoned the slushy machine" "Oh, I know, that's why I swapped my slushy for yours" "I FARTED ON MY SLUSHY BEFORE YOU SWAPPED IT!"

i honestly loved the alternate take ending where the movie just ends after the lead hears the girl screaming from the house and decides its better just to leave instead

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah puppet combo fuckin rules

Parachute
May 18, 2003
he seems like a good and wholesome motherfucker thats for sure

Parachute
May 18, 2003

al-azad posted:

The popularity of video playthroughs is the personality playing them. Some games just don't view well regardless of the game's quality which is why the most popular streamers typically avoid RPGs.

Layers of Fear 2 is definitely more understated than the original even though the sequel straight up has monster chases.

agreed usually except for my favorite lp which is of Heavy Rain if only because it's one of those "you can't really lose/ choose your own adventure" types of games,. the guy playing the game will actually show (all?) of the choices/actions you are presented with at any moment but then will have a little symbol pop up in the bottom right for the "best" one. i like this a lot because i played heavy rain once and would never want to do it again.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Bogart posted:

The speedrun for two worlds is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

this is very very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
imo there's nothing worse than the ~dark retelling of a childrens story/fairy tale~. just grow the gently caress up you unoriginal nerds *steps away from the mirror*