Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Angryhead posted:

Played through Neverending Nightmares for the first time last night, got the Destroyed Dreams ending.
It only took me 68 minutes, which was a bit shorter than I expected. It was plenty tense and the scares got me more than a couple of times, but I got pretty frustrated during the "stealth" sections in the asylum with the guys in the straightjackets, where I died at least a dozen times (though I have to admit that I got chills pretty much every time), maybe I'm just bad at games but I think that part could have done with a few less repetitions.
The atmosphere was and overall artstyle was good, not a big fan of the stilted animations though.

Pretty good overall, and I might go back for the other endings some other night. Also thinking of finally playing Condemned.

Condemned is goddamn fantastic.

I somehow missed out on almost 50 pages of this new horror games thread but I've also just beaten Neverending Nightmares (wish this game had more to it) and have gotten to night 3 in Five Nights at Freddy's (which is fantastic for how simple it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Speaking of permadeath, has anyone actually played Ghostship Aftermath and is it as tedious as the GB Quick Look makes it seem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYvj30MCHk

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

19. Ghostship Aftermath

:words:

The game's engine is terrible. There's really no getting around this one, I'm afraid. It looks good to be sure, but everything outside the graphical polish is clunky to the point of being unworkable. The first warning sign was the options. Instead of a menu, it is a QUESTIONNAIRE, to be completed one option at a time. You can only pick one of two resolutions, neither of which were optimal for my displacy (1680x1050). Furthermore, the controls cannot be rebound. If you want to change something that isn't on the quiz, you're out of luck, and anytime you want to change one of those options you have to go back through and make all your choices again.

Haha how the gently caress does this even come across as a good way to do options? Thanks for the writeup, it at least sounds like something that's worth a look but drat are those some strange hangups.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I just played Five Nights at Freddy's on a projector with a big room full of people, most of which has never seen it before. What a loving fantastic game to play with an audience, everyone getting freaked out and cracking jokes and screaming about which cameras to check and such.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Silent Hill: The Room is conceptually fantastic but absolutely loving awful to play. I wanted to like it but ugh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Here's hoping they add some new gameplay elements to Outlast 2. I liked the first game but it really need something other than running and hiding even if it was super rare single use items to distract or take out enemies.

Also all their talk about parkour was complete garbage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Horns posted:

I'd like it if they pushed the photojournalism angle much harder.

Yeah that kinda disappeared about halfway through didn't it. And then you turned into bees or whatever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

In addition to the three main dungeons, there's an extended ice-themed dungeon based on At the Mountains of Madness, and a timed score-attack mode set in a hellish asylum. The developer added both of these post-launch, and continues to re-tune the game to great effect. I played Eldritch back when it launched and it is an even better game now, with more threatening enemies and better balance. As a Roguelike, an FPS, and even a horror game, I can earnestly recommend this one.

It's cool that the dev has done this. He made mention that when the game was released he considered it done as a simple, small project but people liked it so much that he's gone back and added additional content for free.

Cardiovorax posted:

Bad. Really, really bad. Hilarious to watch, but absolutely unplayable.

loving :aslol:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Lone Survivor's map is unforgivable and when I played it I accidentally answered the question at the beginning of the game that disabled it completely save for at certain points in the game where you find a new one. What a poo poo design decision.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Any mention of Blood is fine by me. Best game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I played the PS3 version of Alone in the Dark and while the story was poo poo and some gameplay segments were bad it wasn't completely broken or anything.

The free roaming Central Park section was actually cool as hell. If they had stuck to that and discarded all of the driving and QTE and linear platforming segments leading up to Central Park people probably would have actually liked the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

So apparently Denis Dyack is trying Shadow of the Eternals again, with a new company called Quantum Entanglement Entertainment (because I guess Precursor Games' reputation was too tarnished?) and I guess it's supposed to be company that does Video Games, TV and movies, and that the company is going to work to converge them and allow fans to influence things, which strikes me as a little odd considering Dyack's notoriously dictatorial rule over Silicone Knights.

As yes because a convergence of video game, TV, and film has worked for any company or property ever I'm sure Successful Game Developer Denis Dyack will pull it off.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I completely forgot about Defiance.

I still don't think Dyack can do it. Remember all that Matrix crap?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Outlast: Whistleblower. Kinda neat but not really spooky other than a number of jump scares. Since after playing the original game you know absolutely everything there is to the story and the setting there's nothing left but jump scares since the actual inmates and Walrider are more goofy than menacing. I mean it's a loving Super Ghost.

I really hope they add more mechanics to Outlast 2. Make the camera be more than just night vision goggles. Give the player some ability to do anything other than run and hide. Get away from the story of the original. Something, just mix it up.

e: oh and gently caress that buzzsaw guy. that entire section was tedious and terrible because having an enemy you can't fight against just teleport to every new area you go into is the most contrived bullshit ever

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 1, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ovaries posted:

Just play Alien: Isolation instead. Same concept, better in just about every regard.

It's definitely next on my list once I get some actual time to play games. :downs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha wow this is sub-God Mode levels of bad. Holy crap http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/?snr=1_7_15__13

And speaking of bad, I just finished Knock-Knock and eeehhhhh. Even after I learned the rules of the game it was still kinda tedious as hell and by the end I just wanted it to be over. I liked what they were going for and the graphics and sound were great but it's just not a very fun game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hel posted:

Someone on twitter mentioned that their previous game was so bad they actually remade the company to get away from it.

Really curious what their first game was now. Reminds me of how Saber Interactive created Oldschool Games to pump out the reskinned shitfests that were God Mode and RIPD. They were both just Inversion with a co-op arena focus and somehow even worse.

e: wow i brought up God Mode twice in two posts

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Jmcrofts posted:

Can anyone recommend me good, scary games on Steam that have controller compatibility? So far the only ones I've found are Outlast, Alien, and Amnesia:pigs.

Use the advanced search to look for the Horror and Full Controller Support tags. There's more than a few, quality not guaranteed :v: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=horror#sort_by=_ASC&tags=1667&category2=28&page=1

e: there might be more that aren't FULL controller support

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That was The New Nightmare. I think it's supposed to be a reboot of the franchise and I remember it receiving middling reviews when it was new http://store.steampowered.com/app/259190/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait there's a new game by the Ghostship Aftermath people out already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqCFlhUV354

e: i know this is early access but this looks like garbage

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 11, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How the do pieces of poo poo like that (especially Buddy's) get so many loving downloads and reviews?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I remember trying to play Siren and utterly failing due to a combination of awful controls, terrible cameras, and general difficulty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Yardbomb posted:

I could deal with all that really, but jesus god almighty the english voices in the original.

Oh now that I think about it I was talking about Blood Curse, the PS3 release. I never played the very original.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Five Nights at Freddy's is the best HyperCard game since Myst.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

1stGear posted:

People got motion sickness from HL2 when it was first released so I imagine it on the Rift would be a non-stop vomit comet.

Any game where Rift support is hacked in so that what was controlled with the mouse (aiming) is now controlled with your face is going to make people blow chunks. Speed of movement only makes it worse. I tried to play Quake deathmatch with the original Oculus dev kit and I felt sick for like two hours afterward.

The fact that early dev kits were super low res, super early drivers, and had no way of adjusting the hardware to the user's face amplified these issues a ton. I haven't used any of the newer Oculus Rifts but I've heard that they're miles above the original shipment.

So no it's not really the Source engine itself, it's just games being made Rift compatible without much thought into how the Rift is being used that's the issue. If you get an original Rift and play the driving segments of Half-Life 2 it's much better than the shooting parts because sitting in a car seat looking around is way more natural than strafing and aiming a gun with your face.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The detective segments in Condemned 2 are really goddamn good too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The original Resident Evil was a masterpiece of acting. Hell, all of the games up until 4 were pretty drat bad (great) in that department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT8zIhjY3RU&t=190s

This scene blew my mind as a kid. EVERYONE'S GONNA DIE!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The sad thing is that the guy who made Neverending Nightmares is dead set against giving the player more things to do in the game. I was loving hurting for some interactivity, some puzzles, some actual enemies, loving anything other than walking through the same hallways and looking at stuff.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaaGhKeODVU

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

dijon du jour posted:

Haha were most of the portraits really just Kickstarter backers? That makes the let's play of it I watched doubly funny with the dude dutifully examining each portrait like "Okay this guy in this portrait looks like an older version of that guy in the other portrait. I'm sure this is deeply symbolic and also relevant to the story."

Ugh I had no idea about that. The loving portraits were one of the few things that actually stood out to me and I was constantly trying to figure out what they were. So now I know Neverending Nightmares has even less going on. Cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've heard nothing but good things about Year Walk. I really should play that ASAP.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
PT is probably one of the scariest loving things I'v ever played. Forget that it's a demo or a teaser or whatever, it's a drat quality bit of interactive media and it's horrifying.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Also acceptable: MachineGames.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I actually really liked Obscure and refuse to spell it with that capitalization.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That and Routine was basically just Not-Alien. But hey by the time Routine comes out everyone will have played and forgetting about Alien: Isolation and will be ready for another spooky retro first person sc-fi horror game!

...as long as Alien: Isolation 2 and SOMA don't beat them to the punch. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I hate that I now know this channel exists.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha that's the video that taught me about foley work in video games too. Republic Commando owned.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
There needs to be a moratorium on turning on generators in games for at least three years.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It also glitched the gently caress out for me so I was easily able to run through the entire thing while they and the big dude got stuck on everything so :aslol:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No I'm going to say those bulldozer looking things were the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Also Deadlight was a bad game overall.