Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Resident Evil 4 ruined Resident Evil for a considerable period of time. I also liked the outbreak games, so gauge my taste by that litmus.

I tried playing the Resident Evil 5 multiplayer demo, but I was playing it after logging dozens of hours in Dead Space so I ended up hating RE5 forcing me to stop moving in order to aim. Dead Space lets me move and shoot at the same time, so locking down the movement (and having enemies sprint at you, only to have them slow-walk once they get within 10 feet, as a byproduct of the movement controls) felt really forced and unnatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

El Cid posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who loves QTE sequences with gory death animations. I loved them in Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider. My favorite is the knife fight in RE4. I hope they add them to all games, regardless of tone or genre. Thank you for your time.
MLB The Show 18: Buckets of Blood Edition

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

Animal Crossing (Into the Afterlife)

FIFA 18: Lynch Mob Edition

Tetris: Red Purge

Little Big Planetary Apocalypse

(Blood)Flow

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doctor Goat posted:

Are there many good horror games that give you everything you need to take care of the threats?

Resident Evil 4-6 and Dead Space 1-3 are pretty golden for it, but I've gone through those.

Have you played the Suffering games? I know people like to hate on the sequel, but I still enjoyed it.

There's also Cold Fear, a RE4 clone from the Xbox/PS2 era. It's kinda interesting how heavily Dead Space 1 cribbed from it.

The Marine campaign in the first Alien vs Predator PC game is scary as gently caress, and you're armed to the teeth. The Marine campaigns in AvP2 and AvP2010 are similarly scary, but nowhere near AvPClassic.

And if we creatively expand "take care of" beyond "shoot in the face until dead", Alien Isolation gives you all the tools you need to survive.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 5, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Danknificent posted:

But it didn't give me the one thing I needed to survive.

A decent story.

:smith:

I didn't have a problem with the story, personally. If anything I felt the game overstayed its welcome by the end, but that was due to the gameplay getting stale rather than the story writing itself into a corner or anything.

I wasn't a big fan of the cliffhanger ending that will likely never get resolved, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

Youtube spat a trailer at me for an indie project called Echo, which just hit Steam Greenlight a little while back. It's not "horror" horror, but the basic premise of wandering around through the alien palace from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey while trying to not be murdered by yourself seems pretty horrific to me.

There's a trailer showing off the basics of the gameplay. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how long you could string it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51x6-8GqkA

This looks pretty slick, but I'm curious how much the AI actually learns from and mimics you, or if it's easily-exploitable smoke and mirrors.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I impulse-bought a copy of The Evil Within for like $10 for Scary Games Month, did I gently caress up and buy a bad game by mistake?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

plz dont pull out posted:

Started up Alien Isolation again for October and can't get over how good that title screen is.

With the gas giant and the eerie music? That poo poo is loving fantastic, I could stare at it for hours. :stare:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tomorrow evening a couple friends and I will be doing a simultaneous Twitch stream of the three of us playing the Outlast 2 demo for the first time. My friends don't play many horror games so I'm looking forward to them freaking the gently caress out, because I'm an rear end in a top hat. :v:
My stream will be at https://www.twitch.tv/xenomrph and the fun begins tomorrow at 8PM Mountain (10PM Eastern).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yardbomb posted:

:same:

Those games were cool, the second went weirder but I still liked it.

The first one was loving great, it's still one of my favorite Xbox games. The sequel was cool, but I don't think it was as "focused" as the first game. Everything in the first Suffering served a purpose, be it for the story or the setting. The sequel lost some of that, I felt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

Does the USAF still own the rights to the franchise? I'd heard rumors years ago that they'd ended up in some ridiculous situation like that.
USAF as in the United States Air Force?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

Night Dive has pulled miracles but settling No One Lives Forever may trigger the rapture. Fox and Activision shrugged their shoulders but WB put their foot down, a game they have nothing to do with but they own Monolith.

We'll never see a re-release of Aliens vs Predator 2 for PC for the same reason - Fox owns the IP, and WB owns Monolith.

Then again the Predator was a DLC character in Mortal Kombat X, so who knows?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jukebox Hero posted:

Don't poo poo Your Pants: A Survival Horror Adventure has an ending for losing before you start by typing "poo poo" instead of typing "start"

You can beat Far Cry 4 in 15 minutes if you just sit at the dinner table and wait for Pagan Min to come back.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

exploded mummy posted:

If I wanted to play a game about some kids loving up and destroying their parents work I'd play Myst.

Personally I'd go with God of War. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What in the Jesus :stonk:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gromit posted:

These opinions are weird to me, because those MLB glitches just look like lovely glitches to me. If I saw that in-game I'd be on the net searching for bug fixes.

Really? Because they look loving ridiculous to me and not in a funny way. Like they're legit unsettling.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chitoryu12 posted:

Look up the tooth monster from Candle Cove for more skin-crawling.

I took this bait and now I think I need some goddamn context for what I just saw. I don't know what Candle Cove is. You got some 'splaining to do, mister.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blattdorf posted:

The game spends a solid minute or two spelling it out for the player. The rest is just figuring out how to work within the constraints and abuse them.

There's a few tactics I liked to employ towards the end:

- performing unnecessary actions that would cause the echoes to waste their time doing something else (activating an elevator is a solid one)
- performing actions that would lead the echoes to act predictably and perhaps change their patrol paths
- shooting them because the action the echoes learn is to shoot En, and since they all look like En, they will actually start shooting at each other if their paths cross

The game is full of these little quirks that really elevate the game into something special. I'll most likely start an Ultra Hard run sometime soon just to see how far I can abuse the system.

This sounds really, really cool - I forgot the game was coming out so soon, I think I'll have to pick it up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did anything more ever come of that retro-future sci-fi horror game Routine that was in development before Alien Isolation? I can't recall hearing anything new about it in a while now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fil5000 posted:

Really? Wow, that's some pretty breathtaking arrogance. "They stole our look (which we borrowed heavily from 70s sci fi)!"
Yeah, Alien Isolation at most cribs heavily from its own source movie, to the point that it almost doesn't make sense if you stop and think about it in the context of its own internal timeline.
Routine could have very easily forged its own visual identity within the very broad art style of "1960s-1970s sci fi aesthetics", in the same way that Alien, Silent Running, Logan's Run, 2001, Dark Star, Solaris, The Black Hole, and Star Wars each have their own visually distinct aesthetics. At best, Routine was the victim of poor timing by having Alien Isolation enter development at the same time, but I highly doubt that was a conscious (let alone intentionally malicious) decision on the part of Isolation's developers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Alien: Isolation borrowed equally from both Alien and Aliens. The basic gameplay of running away from a singular xenomorph on a spaceship definitely aligns more with the first movie but aesthetic choices like the save consoles and fog machines everywhere for whatever reason owe a lot to Aliens as well.

Both of those were present in the first movie - the save consoles with their "punchcard" things were like the Mother access hallway on the Nostromo, and the Nostromo starts filling up with smoke and steam during Ripley's countdown after she primes the self destruct.

'Aliens' shares a lot of overarching aesthetics in the sense that both movies have a tactile, lived-in feel that you don't really get in most sci-fi today, but Aliens owed a lot more of its design work to Syd Mead than 'Alien' did, so it's got a more military-industrial feel. 'Alien' has a lot of greeblies on the spaceships, octogonal shapes, padded walls, and use of white, 'Aliens' is a lot more angular, function over form, smooth edges on the vehicles, and heavy use of blues. The two styles work well together, but they give a valid sense of the passage of time - it's nearly 60 years between movies, and the design choices reflect that (just as it would comparing, say, the 1930s to the 1990s).

From a design standpoint, compare the aesthetics of Isolation and Colonial Marines - for all the things CM did wrong, it nailed the 'Aliens' aesthetic.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 4, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dave Angel posted:

Yeah, the use of smoke and light to obscure detail is used heavily by Ridley Scott in his films, to the point of becoming noted as a directorial trademark. Bladerunner is another good example. The vast majority of the aesthetic choices in Alien: Isolation can be linked back to the original Alien film.

Two notable exceptions I can think of where the game is cribbing from Aliens rather than Alien:
The design of the motion tracker is the one from Aliens, which just looks cooler and works much better from a gameplay perspective.
(Late game spoilers) The reactor core and alien nest section.

They also gave the alien digitgrade feet instead of human-style ones, I think the Alien queen might have been the first xenomorph design to have those.

What's funny is that the adult xenomorphs in the movie 'Aliens' did not have digitigrade legs, but in 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' they did. :v:

I get why they did it, though, and it's the same reason why Alien Isolation (and most games featuring Aliens) did it: it's easier to convey the Aliens as being otherworldly and enhance their nonhuman silhouette with digitigrade legs, as well as mitigating the "guy in a suit" problem - the films could "cheat" it by selective use of lighting and camera angles, something a video game has a much harder time doing. It also makes it easier to put them in "running on walls" poses, and you can vary their height for dramatic effect a lot more easily.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

I wish they kept the classic alien design because the whole point is that it takes on the features of its parent.

Well yeah you do lose that aspect, but even the original movie knew not to show the full Alien in bright lights because then it looked like a guy in a suit and it wasn't very scary. For the video games it's a choice between "do we make the Alien scary?" Or "do we preserve one of the interesting visual thematic elements of the film?", and there's game design consequences for either one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vakal posted:

I just want an Alien game one day that features both the Bull alien and the Gorilla alien from the toyline.

AvP for the SNES had the gorilla as a boss.

For an ultra repetitive game that only had 2 enemy types, the bosses were real standouts.

Len posted:

That toy line owned. I want a game where you get the alien queen exposition

NECA has been gradually remaking that toy line (and it rules).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've been playing Narcosis and I'm digging it so far. It probably helps that I view the deep ocean as an inherently scary and unsettling environment.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

Whaaaaa?

Do any of the Aliens films prior to Covenant feature legs like that? Also were their legs like that in the AVP games? I can't recall.

As mentioned, the ones in Alien3 and Resurrection had digitigrade legs, while the ones in the AvP films did not.
The Alien costumes from the first AvP movie are actually repurposed and repainted 'Alien Resurrection' costumes and are identical from the knees up.

In the AvP games, they had human-style legs in AvP 99, but had digitigrade legs in the other AvP FPS games, as well as AvP Extinction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wasn't there that game in development where you're a hitchhiker who rides in a car with a creepy serial killer, and you have to juggle avoiding his creepy staring while riding in his car as long as possible?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slender?
Comedy answer: Don't poo poo Your Pants

God I remember JFK Reloaded. I wasted a ton of time in that game, just loving around.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just finished Narcosis. Holy poo poo, that ending.

Real short game, though. I'm glad I got it on sale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

limited posted:

Well, poo poo. There go my hopes of Dead Space getting remastered, or even anymore installments. EA did their usual party trick, and shut down Visceral Studios. :(

Are you loving kidding me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wamdoodle posted:

I'll never stop cheerleading SOMA. If anyone's interested, it supports Steam Workshop and there's a mod that makes the monsters not chase you except for a few hard coded scripted sequences. It makes them into just really creepy sentries of the environment.

This sounds really cool. Do you have a link for it or whatever? I've actually never used mods in Steam Workshop or anything like that.

As an aside, do mods like that mess with Steam achievements?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are you really surprised when it's EA?

Well not really, but it doesn't make it less lovely.
My secret hope is that if EA knows they're not going to use the Dead Space IP for anything that they'd sell it off to someone who will.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Glagha posted:

I know I'm a little late but I wanted to say that Alien Isolation is pretty great for avoiding the repetitive "run and hide from monster" type gameplay because running from the alien is straight up impossible outside of driving it off. Running is like the worst possible thing you can do in that game because it will hear you and it's way, WAY faster than you.
Even hiding isn't a viable long-term tactic, as given enough time, the Alien WILL find you - you can't just wait the Alien out until it goes away. The Alien also learns from your behavior over time, so if you hide in lockers a lot, that eventually becomes the first place the Alien checks.

The sustainable way to get around the Alien is to use distractions, stay low, and keep moving.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You're not wrong, but part of the game's brilliance is that it obfusticates the poo poo out of how the Alien actually ticks, keeping it seemingly unpredictable and tense.

it isn't because video games just aren't that complicated yet and even if they were it's easier to fake it than to actually make it, but faking it is just as good for the most part

In my playthrough I found my usual tactics definitely got more ineffective over time. A big one that stood out for me was the flamethrower; it became practically useless by the end because the moment I broke it out, the Alien would immediately charge me and knock me on my rear end.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oldpainless posted:

I loving love Painkiller

I've been meaning to replay the series from the top once I finish the Serious Sam series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

You could write a children's book about a brave little xenomorph overcoming its fear of fire

Not quite, but close:

Alien Next Door https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785650262/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_agO6zbEQNW0GA

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Do you have the teleport ability yet? There's a bunch of collectibles that require that skill.

I dug the plot in that game, overall it was a pretty neat story even if the gameplay was largely linear and hand-hold-ey.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RBA Starblade posted:

RE6 rules.

RE7 was ok but I felt no strong desire to finish it when I borrowed it from a friend. It's not scary at all but it's one of the funniest games I've ever played and I think if I had played longer it would have ruined it for me.

I dunno man, I just started playing it today and it’s a pretty wild ride so far.

It probably helps that I’m playing it in the dark at like 2AM, and there’s a raging thunderstorm outside.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

Play until the hallway point, when you start revisiting locales the game takes a nosedive into laziness and sucks from there on out.

I liked the “Mother” ending (the endings are broken down on the Wikipedia page in the plot summary).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_4:_The_Room#Story

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New trailer for a Blair Witch Project game.

https://youtu.be/DnMj_9P3kN4

Okay yeah it looks like a Slender/Outlast knockoff, but those games scared me silly and I’m a big fan of the first and third Blair Witch movies so I’m more than willing to give this a shot. It looks like it’s included with a Game Pass membership which basically means there’s nothing to lose if you’re already a member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

exquisite tea posted:

This just premiered on the XB stage and it looks hella dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h5kBrSqnbc

Not gonna lie, based solely on the video title I was expecting a videogame based on the best Michael Jackson song of all time (and I would have been completely okay with that).