Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Extant: The Astronaut's Husband's Wife

Exactly correct. Up until the twist I was bored as hell, but after I'm hooked for at least another few episodes. You'd think Spielberg would want to take the opportunity to do something stylistically different than A.I. but no, exact same muted palette and gentle focus. Also the "SOULS are REAL!"/"ohoho you still believe in GAWD dummy?!" part had me rolling my eyes a bit just from how heavy-handed the dialogue was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I feel like the first 40 minutes of each episode are just table-setting for the last 20 minutes and it's going to get really tiresome if they keep following that formula. And yet, I'm compelled by the last few moments to watch again next week.

So is her husband just emotionally cheating with his colleague or are they loving?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I feel like the first 40 minutes of each episode are just table-setting for the last 20 minutes and it's going to get really tiresome if they keep following that formula.

HOW DOES IT KEEP WORKING SO WELL :suspense:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
CBS moved the show back an hour to 10pm to replace Criminal Minds repeats. Not a great sign but it's not like dumping it on weekends.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Binary Logic posted:

The latest episode ended on quite a couple of cliffhangers...is no one else watching?!

Still am (thanks DVR season pass!) but this week's ep was a sharp drop-off in quality for me. Equal parts clichèfest and dialogue-free intrigue where the audience is left to fend for themselves as to what is actually happening. Molly's dad was the biggest problem by far and his dog not recognizing Molly was painfully hacky. Also the 3-act structure they've been rigidly following made everything in the plot exploding all at once feel downright expected.

Based on the previews for next week I'd say we're in for a downhill slide going forward. Camryn Manheim's turned against them and has amnesia! No one believes them anymore! They took her baby that she felt no apparent human connection to! Something something Ethan!! The ratings were flat vs last week and are way below CBS's standards, so best-case scenario is they manage to wrap up the story in a satisfying way to make this a one-and-done. Besides, can you even imagine this show going for longer than one season?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Every character on the show is dumb as a box of rocks but at least now we know why the legless woman has a mother complex with Molly's husband. It's the dumbest, most contrived/obvious reason possible but that's just the kind of show Extant is. Really just a terrible show, and each additional layer of the onion that gets peeled back stinks worse than the one before. At least we'll get a lovely cliffhanger before the show gets cancelled!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The way they're heaping tension onto twist onto mystery is getting pretty exhausting, and yes the dialogue is terrible and none of the characters have an ounce of sense. The anti-robot secret society thing? Groan. Maybe I'm just bad at watching this type of show but this seems like a season that's much better to watch all at once. Or not at all. I maintain that Extant does not have a premise sustainable past a single season. It's stretching itself thin enough as it is just to keep the action rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Renewed for S2

I don't even know how ratings work anymore

• Locked thread