Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO'S TAKING HOME THE ORLANDO SUMMER LEAGUE TROPHY?
Magic
Heat
Sixers
Grizzlies
Celtics
Pacers
Nets
Pistons
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
View Results

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm already sick of hearing about how Napier "knows how to play the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

I'm already sick of hearing about how Napier "knows how to play the game"

I liked the vine of him getting crossed over bad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jota posted:

I liked the vine of him getting crossed over bad

Post it

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

https://vine.co/v/MUQOWnELOYO

Edit: I don't think it is actually that bad, he will get worse within 2 weeks of the regular season starting

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
James Ennis is going to be your 2014-15 NBA league MVP

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously, this kid is 7/8 from 3 and has 29 points. If Australia produces these kinds of results, Exum is going to be the next Chris Paul.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ayy lmao

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kentavious couldn't really shoot in summer league last year. He looks much better now. Jodie Meeks might have to be a 7th man. That makes me happy. Joe Dumars is the best.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Here's the schedule the rest of the way:

Championship day is Friday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Isaiah slipping into speaking tongues once a quarter is probably the best reason to have the summer league on.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

PantsFreeZone posted:

Seriously, this kid is 7/8 from 3 and has 29 points. If Australia produces these kinds of results, Exum is going to be the next Chris Paul.

Between this and the other thread im starting to think you actually believe this means something in the summer league

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Magic are playing Gordon at SF. Uhoh.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Magic are playing Gordon at SF. Uhoh.

Last year I was like "hey playing Oladipo at PG in summer league is prett smart, the games don't matter and it lets him work on his ball handling!" and then they went out and did it all year. So, I dunno. It seems like a lot of teams might think Gordon is a SF though. Good luck with that on offense.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mitch McGary looks good and that makes me extremely happy.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

the_american_dream posted:

Between this and the other thread im starting to think you actually believe this means something in the summer league

If you read all those posts and came away with this impression then I don't know what to say.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

Mitch McGary looks good and that makes me extremely happy.

Yeah I've gone from "ugh great way to replace cole aldrich presti" to "holy poo poo mitch mcgary loving owns" in the span of like 5 hours

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Yeah I've gone from "ugh great way to replace cole aldrich presti" to "holy poo poo mitch mcgary loving owns" in the span of like 5 hours

Why do we ever question presti?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Last year I was like "hey playing Oladipo at PG in summer league is prett smart, the games don't matter and it lets him work on his ball handling!" and then they went out and did it all year. So, I dunno. It seems like a lot of teams might think Gordon is a SF though. Good luck with that on offense.

I'm thinking this season was a continuation of playing Oladipo at PG in games that didn't matter and he'll go back to SG before too long.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

I'm thinking this season was a continuation of playing Oladipo at PG in games that didn't matter and he'll go back to SG before too long.

Well now but I don't like the guy they drafted to replace him there much either

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel's lane presence is crazy this game

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Summer league was a really good predictor of rookie performance last year. McLemore sucked in summer league and sucked in real games, Otto Porter was useless in summer league and useless in real games, same for Shabazz Muhammad. That was my first summer league so I don't know if it's a real trend or a fluke because of a terrible class.

It also provoked Bill Simmons to call Kelly Olynyk Bill Walton 2.0.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WEREWAIF posted:

Summer league was a really good predictor of rookie performance last year. McLemore sucked in summer league and sucked in real games, Otto Porter was useless in summer league and useless in real games, same for Shabazz Muhammad. That was my first summer league so I don't know if it's a real trend or a fluke because of a terrible class.

Players that are bad in Summer League are typically bad in real games. Players that are good in Summer League have a chance at not being worthless in real games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everyone in last year's draft sucked so that's not really meaningful. The single best summer league performance I've ever seen was Marco Bellinelli, who looked about a million times better than Kevin Durant did that same summer.

Lots of good players have had a bad summer league game or two, but in general I think Kibner has it right. If they're bad the whole time then that is concerning. Being good in summer league is borderline meaningless.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A good part of it is also that the coaches will ask the player to focus on things that are normally out of their comfort zones.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

WEREWAIF posted:

Marquis Teague looked improved in Summer League last year though. And Tony Snell was making some shots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

A good part of it is also that the coaches will ask the player to focus on things that are normally out of their comfort zones.

Yeah, a lot of guys will have crazy turnover and shooting numbers because the coaching staff wants to see if their weaknesses look salvageable or if they need to be hidden. Also the refs are often tryouts too, so the foul and turnover numbers are seriously elevated.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Summer League nearly made me buy a Bellinelli jersey a couple of years ago.

That's how accurate it is.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Jack's Flow posted:

Third leading scorer on the NBA champion? Sounds pretty accurate to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

He was hitting threes from everywhere! I almost placed real money on him to win rookie of the year over Durant.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Adam Morrison turning into Summer League Kobe Bryant bought him a few years in the league.

You know, the Lakers were never the same after they lost the one player they could all make fun of/play FIFA with.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Adam Morrison turning into Summer League Kobe Bryant bought him a few years in the league.

You know, the Lakers were never the same after they lost the one player they could all make fun of/play FIFA with.

Guys who are still going to Summer League after 3-4 years in the league are the best/saddest. Even if they're really lovely they'll just destroy the summer league because they've been practicing against NBA players for years and they're playing a bunch of college guys, d-league flotsam who will never sniff the league, and guys hoping to get Euro contracts.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Nerlens Noel is just a joy to watch. So many blocks and steals. Then he just pulled down an ORB and threw in a lefty hook.

He was worth the wait.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Noel has looked way better than I remember him looking pre-injury.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Mahorn sitting next to MCW is hilarious. It looks like a dad with their 8 year old.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mandrel posted:

Noel has looked way better than I remember him looking pre-injury.

Working with NBA coaches for a full year will do that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
These commentators have been talking about pancakes for a long time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Having seen shootarounds last year, I know that Brett Brown was working with Noel a LOT. Working on refining his offense and his free throw shooting. Just watching the shootaround, the amount of time Brown specifically worked with Noel was long and intense compared to any other player. Noel has clearly been his pet project.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Having seen shootarounds last year, I know that Brett Brown was working with Noel a LOT. Working on refining his offense and his free throw shooting. Just watching the shootaround, the amount of time Brown specifically worked with Noel was long and intense compared to any other player. Noel has clearly been his pet project.

There isn't anyone else worth coaching on that dogshit team.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Please do not make fun of Jarvis Varnado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did Marcus Smart really go 9 for 35?

• Locked thread