Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not sure when it finally updated but Hulu has up to episode 4 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Im new to making gifs but the little touches in this show are great.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Holy poo poo, sixth episode was amazing. I was empathizing with Handa incredibly much when the young guy started blabbering about stuff of him from the magazines, I probably made roughly the same horrified faces as the protagonist did.

Rest of the episode I spent a wide grin on my face. That one moment was an Neon Genesis Evangelion -reference, right?

This anime makes me feel things, man.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

For your consideration, the best screencap of all time:

Edit: Barakamon's opening theme is easily my favourite of the season.

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 10, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering where glasses-girl was pretty much all of that episode. Good job, show.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I was fully expecting her to show up during the above screencap. Her whole "fangirl-in-denial" schtick is hilarious.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite joke was probably busting out the credit card on Naru, because of course that would work on her.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

My favorite joke was probably busting out the credit card on Naru, because of course that would work on her.
I think that was actually a phone card.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Yeah, the Manga gives that scene a bit more time; The reason he's trying to take it back from her before she goes off to her grandmother is because he effectively doesn't want to get snitched on for tricking Naru

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Barakamon continues to be the best anime of the season.

I was sorta reminded of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer when Kawafuji was going all hammy, and that made me sad.

Everything else was loving amazing though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Best scene of the episode:

"Hey, I was having an emotional moment here! :arghfist::mad:"

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Funimation finally added the episodes to their website (I don't know if they did this earlier, but I just found out :v:). So I marathoned it, and I just wanna say this is the best feel-good show of the season along with Nozaki-kun!

Episode 7 was a nice blend of serious and funny. What killed me was the part at the end where Kawa-san was wearing those dumb glasses. They moved?! Also the "Hey, I was having a serious moment :mad:"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God the cast are such goofballs. I haven't seen a feel-good show like this since Tsuritama.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The last anime I saw that put food and pointy objects together was Higurashi, and it wasn't nearly as cute as it was in this show.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

So is there just not an episode this week? Or did I somehow mix up the day it airs on. I finally got around to watching last week's episode and it was just the sweetest thing. I really do love this show. :kimchi:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

glomkettle posted:

So is there just not an episode this week? Or did I somehow mix up the day it airs on. I finally got around to watching last week's episode and it was just the sweetest thing. I really do love this show. :kimchi:
This and a couple other shows are delayed a week due to a all day television special of some show.

Edit:
More specifically, this show:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/24%E6%...%81%86%E3%80%8D

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Zettace posted:

This and a couple other shows are delayed a week due to a all day television special of some show.

:smith:

Well at least it isn't suddenly over like I'd managed to half-convince myself while frantically searching for why I couldn't see this week's episode after catching up on the last one.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Psycho-Pass extended also lost an episode this week, but at least it had two episodes a few weeks back so it's not all bad.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Episode 9 trip report: Holy poo poo that's dangerous!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I know that he will surely return to the island, but I'm still worried. :ohdear:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That ending :allears:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This show is fantastic

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This loving show :allears:

It's not always that an episodes makes me laugh until I'm crying, and then almost moves me to tears. Serious contender for best show of the season, right here.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That "Star" calligraphy still confuses me. Is the character done entirely by panting the background around it black, or did Handa paint the entire canvas black and then drew the character on it with white paint?

e: Also, "Cargo Cult Calligraphy"

Rexides fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 22, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Handa's Mom is adorable and I'm going to be sad if she never interacts with the island folk.

...In the manga, I mean, considering the show's basically done :smith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Handa's personality makes a lot of sense now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For some reason I had it in my head that this was the last episode, which made me feel kind of weird about it until I realized that obviously there was one more. Gonna miss this show real bad, the manga is still ongoing right?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Rexides posted:

That "Star" calligraphy still confuses me. Is the character done entirely by panting the background around it black, or did Handa paint the entire canvas black and then drew the character on it with white paint?

The former, I'm pretty sure. He was nervous about whether it was "proper calligraphy" or not because he never actually drew the character.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like Miwa's "Take it Easy" t-shirt.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

glomkettle posted:

The former, I'm pretty sure. He was nervous about whether it was "proper calligraphy" or not because he never actually drew the character.
No, I'm guessing the latter. He painted a black background, then painted the white character on top. There's no other way to explain the white splatters.
Also, he was nervous about whether it was proper calligraphy because he felt it came from his environment, not from his ability. So 'he never drew the character' in the sense that anyone who had gone through what he had would have drawn the same thing (at least in his head).

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

genki posted:

No, I'm guessing the latter. He painted a black background, then painted the white character on top. There's no other way to explain the white splatters.
Also, he was nervous about whether it was proper calligraphy because he felt it came from his environment, not from his ability. So 'he never drew the character' in the sense that anyone who had gone through what he had would have drawn the same thing (at least in his head).

Yeah going back and looking at it you're right.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This show has made me fall in love with drawing in ink when before I used to hate doing so. Best show.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I don't know what bizarro moeverse this show came from, but I'm real glad that it exists. Easily the biggest surprise of the season. Kinda sad it's over though...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Barakamon was both really great and refreshingly different. It's a common complaint, but man is there not enough anime about adults. I watched the last episode a couple hours ago and I already miss the show.

Even the stories that came out about the casting were really cute, I've seen a couple interviews talking about how all the kids in the studio adored Handa's VA and followed him around everywhere.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

madmac posted:

Even the stories that came out about the casting were really cute, I've seen a couple interviews talking about how all the kids in the studio adored Handa's VA and followed him around everywhere.

Oh my god, that's adorable! :3:

I still need to catch up with this series, but it's been all incredibly heart-warming fun so far. Praying that we get a second season of this along with Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun S2 and Chihayafuru S3 airing at the same time.

just let me dream...

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Oh my god, that's adorable! :3:

I still need to catch up with this series, but it's been all incredibly heart-warming fun so far. Praying that we get a second season of this along with Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun S2 and Chihayafuru S3 airing at the same time.

just let me dream...

The best dream.

Also hundred punch mama really made the home scenes for me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope there's a second season and the mom comes to the island

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I agree this show was terrific, but I have a hard time seeing how they could do another season. The show was more of a "coming of age" for a reclusive, spoiled, adult. He not only got his poo poo together by going to island, but he became more confident as an artist and began to find his own style.

While I think having his mom visit the island would be terrific, and I was really hoping she'd go with him this episode, I don't know if we could get a full season out of it. The only possible thing they could do for our main character would be to have him become romantically involved with someone.

I think they could get a lot of mileage out of Kōsuke Kanzaki being jealous of any romantic relationship Seishū Handa might have.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im sure there's still a whole bunch of manga issues left so i guess they found a way to make it fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Barakmon is pure good.

• Locked thread