Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Division Bell tour was my first big stadium rock concert. They were pretty good. One Of These Days kinda ruled. I'm sure it was the first time I had heard that song and it blew me away.

EDIT: Rick Wright's solo album from around that time is NOT a good record, though. Talk about a snoozefest. Hopefully this sounds nothing like that.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if rick wright's family needs money? Or nick mason got divorced or something. Why else would they dredge up 20 year old material that wasn't good enough to make it onto the worst pink Floyd album?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Masonic Youth posted:

This material isn't from A Momentary Lapse of Reason though.

Yeah, momentary lapse is probably worse. And I'd rather listen to Division bell than The Wall almost any day, but the Wall is objectively better. But saying the second worst pink floyd record isn't as dramatic. That being said, I probably haven't listened to divison bell since 1996. It's painfully mediocre.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

Debatable:
Meddle (let's be honest, this album sucks outside of Echoes and One of These Days)

You don't like Fearless or Pillow of Winds?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If by "neat" you mean "the sort of unbelievably hack poo poo an 80s metal act would do", yes

Still bitter about Operation Mindcrime 2, huh?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

It is with great regret that I don't have 10 tabs of acid to take before listening to it

You have a month to figure this out, I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

What, and commit a crime? You're out of your mind.

Ok.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A great day for freedom is like eating a big handful of unsalted oyster crackers and washing it down with tap water.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

But.. but I love that song

the only disappointing thing about that song is that the album version has the best solo, every live version is inferior in every way.

Still, a great track. Great solo.

Sorry you love bland music. Life gets better, I promise.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

*plays amazing guitar solo*

*gets called bland by a guy on the internet*

Pink Floyd was my first big rock concert, I listened to them all the time in junior high and high school, but I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to a pink Floyd album on purpose that wasn't Meddle. I find it all very dull. But I like listening to poo poo like Robert Goulet disco re-mixes, so don't pay any attention to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What I'm saying basically is that Robert Goulet was a much bigger loss that Rick Wright. I miss you Robert.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

dude this isn't the thread for "coming out"

Robert Goulet was a total ladies' man. I don't even know where you're coming from with this.

That second clip has to be a joke, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CortezFantastic posted:

They are 70 years old. Do you guys expect them to change their sound or something? Maybe do a collab with Pharrell or Skrillex? I'm not exactly psyched but I'm not expecting them to produce their best work when they live a life of luxury and have really nothing left to say. Now if Roger was in it that'd be different.

What interesting music has roger waters made in the past 30 years?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CortezFantastic posted:

At least he'd have something to say was my point on him.

What makes you think that? He's way more in nostalgia act mode than Gilmour. I don't think any of them have anything really interesting to say any more.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Amused to Death was pretty good.

I rest my case. What was that, 1986?

Edit: so it was 1992. He hasn't made anything really at all in over 20 years, and Amused to Death is the furthest thing in my mind from an "interesting" album. It's competent. Pushes zero boundaries. Never something I want to listen to. For a dinosaur rock artist making an album in his 4th decade of being a musician, it's "pretty good".

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 9, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

This is going to solve the problem of 'what is the worst Pink Floyd album?'. So at least we can take that from this.

It'll still be momentary lapse of reason

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eh! Frank posted:

MLoR gets a huge pass from me due to "Learning To Fly", "On The Turning Away" (which I consider to be one of PF's top five songs), and "Sorrow". Don't know about worst, but to me, "Obscured By Clouds" is the most forgettable.

All those songs sound like out takes from a White Lion recording session that somebody overproduced.

And obscured by clouds is rad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Amused to Death owns, the KAOS tour owned even if the album was half-baked. The less said about his lyrics 2000-2014 the better though.

A Love Supreme owns. White Light/White Heat owns. Heck, even Meddle kinda owns. Amused to Death is a dad rock album that doesn't suck as bad as it probably could have. If it's a cd you keep coming back to listen to, I think it's time to get new music.

And momentary lapse of reason is butt rock.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

Amused to Death is only 22 years old.

We went over that, yes. It does a very good job of sounding 30 years old.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cyra posted:

division bell is pretty listenable and way better than lapse of reason or even final cut for that matter. i like the cool guitar noises

sorry. sorry for my opinion

Division bell is a lot better than momentary lapse. It's still *yawn* soooo boring.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

:ughh:

I too enjoy the musical equivalent of strobe lights

Are you the turtle from that old Comcast commercial?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

thanks for the US references that I don't understand at all

The us and the uk need some serious pop culture cross pollination based on this thread.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are worse songs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo sorry to hear about your ADHD

A joke 24 hours in the making apparently.

• Locked thread