Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can i get a fuckin hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHtlwQNVQeo

Can't wait for this. For years I dreamed of a new floyd album. This might be exactly what I want.

I love Gilmour when he's in floyd. outside of floyd I don't love his tastes because half his solo stuff just isn't what I like at all, and I know I sound heathen for saying that but it's really how I feel

Division Bell is underrated imo. Apart from a couple of tracks it's a great album and has a great feel. I suspect the same from this. at the very least some great guitar solos

This is the only Pink Floyd album that will be released in my lifetime that will be when I liked the band. It is with great regret that I don't have 10 tabs of acid to take before listening to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm gonna set my expectations as low as possible so it will pleasantly surprise me, or it's what I was expecting.

And to the discussion early in the page, yes The Final Cut is very good stuff.

Fletcher Memorial Home owns, but owns alone due to the solo. One of his best solos but far too short. Love the addition of the "guitar sounds" (fret noise etc) which isn't common for him.

The rest of the album bites, however. I can barely give it a second listen, and whenever I try to I give up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I will give it another whirle. You never know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What, and commit a crime? You're out of your mind.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey check it out guys, im edgy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you must be a real blast at parties, stopping the music and then crying into a mic while the memory of your dad jerking off your uncle plays over and over in your head

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

A great day for freedom is like eating a big handful of unsalted oyster crackers and washing it down with tap water.

But.. but I love that song

the only disappointing thing about that song is that the album version has the best solo, every live version is inferior in every way.

Still, a great track. Great solo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One of my most favorite floyd "moments" is the last part of "Shine on you crazy diamond"

I'm predicting yours is the part where some glass smashes near the end of the first side of "The Wall"

Also pompeii echoes? Best echoes :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*plays amazing guitar solo*

*gets called bland by a guy on the internet*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

even if you added a great scorching solo to Mike Love's "Wrinkles", it would still be "Wrinkles".

I don't know that song, but half of "great day for freedom" is the solo so at least half the song owns

quote:

finally, a reasonable opinion

i hope to die with pigs on a wing part 2 playing over the PA while the execution squad fires they guns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for chiming in on this thread then, I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dude this isn't the thread for "coming out"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cyra posted:

i, too, have feelings about things and if you don't agree with them well then you're just wrong and pretty much stupid

you see i'm an authority on the subject because reasons

thank god im not the only one in here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have the same feeling.

I mean I love David's lead work and if there is a lot of it I will like the album regardless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He's bitter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some people just love Pink Floyd, and not David and/or Roger

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mlyp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQocDfdtBco

I didn't mind the second clip, it seemed a bit nothing.

But this sounds like something my Dad would listen to. Maybe it's an old age thing. This is the first thing that makes me a lil bit gutted :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

So like Pink Floyd then?

It's me, I'm the Dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astrochicken posted:

I don't know. It's about what anyone should expect. A continuation of that gutless, easy-listening sound. It makes me want to re watch parts of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

David's lead work could save anything, hopefully he does with this

Ever listened to the second half of "shine on" while near-melting on mushrooms? easy-listening becomes irrelevant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

A lot of The Division Bell sounds like a TV movie soundtrack. Especially "Poles Apart." That song is terrible.

:cry: another track from that album I love :cry: (except the circus music middle part that part sucks)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
David nailed the solo on "on an island" and that was only a few years ago. his lead work could save this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some of their earliest ARE the most forgettable. I listen to them mostly in order to make myself feel like a real PF fan, they may have been breakthrough in they day but don't stand up now like meddle onwards

Popcorn posted:

David Gilmour could solo over a packet of Wotsits and elevate it to, at least, a Marks and Spencer sausage roll.

thanks for the UK references that I don't understand at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I listened to the single today. The first part... wow I am gutted. The solo though? That completely owned and it sounded like Floyd.

He's still go it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Popcorn posted:

New song's boring. David's vocals are weirdly sinister as well. Louuuder than weeeerds.

Oh, sorry, "mate"! I guess that was "bloody" annoying for you to read on the internet! I must have been completely "bladdered" when I wrote it! You'd be right to give me a good "bollocking" for it!

Jesus Christ, ignore it or use Google, you tosser. :britain:

:ughh:

BigFactory posted:

Division bell is a lot better than momentary lapse. It's still *yawn* soooo boring.

I too enjoy the musical equivalent of strobe lights

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the US references that I don't understand at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do you like "cool change" by the little river band

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

There are worse songs out there.

holy poo poo sorry to hear about your ADHD

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
great things take time to brew and evolve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the new single.. 2014 - Side 3, pt. 4: Allons-y (1)

hmm..

it sounds like somethng from flight of the navigator.. and not in a good. way. and it's really short. it's a weird pick of a song for a "single"

I'm gonna put it on iPod so I can crank it in car on way to work to really give it a go.

I mean I love David's lead, but "noodling"... not so much.

disappointment is disapointing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found myself seeking to find a different track to listen to on my first listen. my subconscious was not pleased apparently

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Comfortably Numb from the Pulse live album is the opening up you deserve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when listening to it this morning I was overcome by a sense that this wasnt a gilmour album in the way division bell sounds like to me

I've only heard half of it so far on the way to work. there are some great musics on there. a lot of those songs seems to end abruptly though. it's hard to know where this will fit in to my listening mood list but so far I like it, that allons song they released early is one of the worst tracks
will finish it on way home

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the song "ansilso"
or whatever is really great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow really? because it's anything but that. there are a few moments that sound exactly like the division bell, and some moments that sound exactly like other albums, and then some parts that sound like nothing else they've done, and musically not really like anything else they've done for the large part. I love it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I admit it's hard to pin down in a way, it would be amazing on psychedelics. it just doesn't remind me of the division bell apart from a few specific moments where it sounds exactly like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll have to record down what moments
I'm thinking of when I say that but there are a few moments that sound exactly like a cut
from the divisoj bell but I'm not talknmg about large pieces

also doesn't sound very gilmourish to new

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't feel bad this thread is full of assholes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but nice to get now and not 20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really starting to feel like, there is little I don't like about this album. There are a lot of things this could have been, that it isn't (and for which it will forever be compared to).

Really love "Anisinia", and believe that if it was much longer with a runaway solo could have been one of Pink Floyd's all time highlights.. but oh well

• Locked thread