Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcRnn0WjK0

Transformers Universe is a third person shooter set in the Transformers universe, where you play as robots that turn into things that can turn into robots. It's free to play and has a large cast of characters you won't recognize, and it's currently in open beta.

And by open beta, I really mean beta. This game is buggy as heck and pretty unfinished, but the core gameplay that's here is already pretty fun and the robots look great.

The game's playstyle is one of those slower, high-health shooters with a lot of running away and regrouping elsewhere. Fights are big, long, and frantic, frequently ending in people turning into cars and having a chase sequence while they try to finish one another off. The flow of movement during combat, switching forms and taking advantage of what you can do as a robot or a vehicle, is super cool and lots of fun. They nailed the core combat mechanics. But the game isn't finished yet and a lot of things are rough around the edges.

Oh and it's made by Jagex, who made Runescape, which is really weird because I wouldn't expect them to have made this.

How does it play?

Third person team-based shooter. Right now there's a deathmatch gametype and a point-capture gametype. They use the same maps but they play pretty differently. Each character has three weapons and three abilities, with a slot for consumable items and some other unlockable slots for stuff that buffs you. As you play, you'll level up and be able to upgrade your characters' stats. Leveling is faction-wide, so you can level up as whoever you want and all of your characters benefit.

When you die, your character will go on a cooldown that can be bypassed by spending 'Energon', something you collect whenever you kill other players or NPC enemies. It's cheap to repair your character(like 40 Energon when you will usually get more than 40 for a single kill), but you can also just swap to someone else if you'd rather save that stuff. The cooldown mechanic is gone, you don't have to repair bots or anything, you can just get right back into the fight.

There's also a free-roaming co-op zone where you'll be assigned missions against Terrorcons or Vehicons or whatever. This earns you a lot of Energon and you can play it while queued for the PvP modes. The free-roam mode is really basic and kind of mediocre right now, but it's got a lot of potential once they add more interesting objectives and more stuff to do on those maps.

Unlocking characters isn't too bad. They generally cost between 2000 to 5000 of the cash-shop currency, and you earn between 40 to 70 of that currency per match depending on how well you do and if your team wins or loses. It'll take some time, but you start with three characters so you're not just stuck with one guy.

Starter Characters:

Autobots:

Monsoon is big and slow. He has a chaingun, battle axe, and grenade launcher. He's your tanky bruiser.

Triage is a medic, he's got a charge-up blast cannon, dual pistols, and a medi-beam. Unsurprisingly he turns into an ambulance.

Overclock is fast, frail, and does a lot of burst damage. He has a rocket launcher, a lock-on laser beam, and giant metal punchy fists.

Decepticons:

Rampart is Monsoon but he's a bad guy and looks different.

Hotwire is Triage but he's a bad guy and looks different.

Drive-By is Overclock but he's a bad guy and has the best name I've ever seen a Decepticon have.

:siren:The game asks you to choose what starter you want, but it will give you all three of them anyway. You do not have to actually choose.:siren:

Each faction has an equivalent robot on the other faction for basically everything. Their guys look different and are themed differently (dual hammers VS chainsaws for arms) but play the same. This may change in the future once iconic characters like Optimus Prime and Megatron are added to the roster.

There are no iconic Transformers yet, but they are coming eventually. Hot Rod is visible as one of the bots in the Founders Pack so you can probably bet we'll see a lot of established characters going forward and not just these new guys.

But what faction should I play? Can I change later?

Pick whichever one you like (Decepticons are more popular currently so their queues might be slower), you can switch at any time. The first time you want to swap factions you need to do it via the toggle on the website and create a second screenname. Do not make a second account for the other faction. Your cash-shop currency is shared cross-faction but your XP is set per-faction. Your screenname has to be different for each faction for some reason but both screennames will be linked to the same account.

There's some sort of referral bonus for other players joining, so here's my link if you want to help me out with that.

You can get to the website here if you don't want to sign up through my referral link. And people can feel free to post their own referral links too, if y'all want to get a chain going.

I recommend downloading the client instead of playing in-browser. The initial download is small, but it'll download maps and characters as you encounter them for the first time so your initial load-times might be slow while it does this.

Founders Packs are available if you want to spend a lot of money on the game. They're kind of expensive for what you get, which is sort of standard for F2P games these days. Lots of characters and some custom solid-gold character reskins for the more expensive packs, barely anything for the cheaper ones.

The game is pretty unfinished and the environments are kind of ugly but it's still pretty fun, and I think it could end up being a pretty good game once they develop it further.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Giving this a go. If it's anything like the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron online modes then it's certainly worth giving a try.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The biggest difference between those games and this is probably that bots have way more health and fights are slower. And currently there's no flying vehicle forms just yet. But it's absolutely scratching the same itch that War/Fall multiplayer did for me.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Posting my referral link as well. https://www.transformersuniverse.com/recruit/a751d71bdef5371429ca6ad2c9fe58642631e4d5

I've definitely encountered a couple bugs getting started. After completing the initial tutorial battle it takes me to the command center but when I'm directed to do the hanger tutorial I can't appear to leave or deploy any bots after completing recruitment.

Edit: Fixed. I exited and started again and just hit F12 to skip the tutorial. Working fine now.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Why am I not surprised Kelp made the OP? :v:

Yeah, we were all having quite a bit of fun with this yesterday. That said, it's a loving mess. You'll crash, you'll hard lock, and you'll sit in queues that seem to never end. Is it worth it? Eh, kind of. I absolutely adored the Cybertron games, and like Plankton said, it scratches that same itch.

Some things I've learned that might help you all get more out of your time with the game:

I played some on the Autobot side today, and I seemed to find games significantly faster than I did as a Decepticon. I have a feeling that percentage in the hub is the populations of either side.

The game only told me this when I loaded in today, so in case you all haven't seen this message yet, you can hold ctrl to use your mouse while in-game. The queue button is the first one on the bottom right corner.

Finally, I discovered how to get past the infuriating bug where you'll get into a PvP match, only to be stuck at the "Waiting for players" screen, despite seeing others clearly in play. If you click the ready button, you'll never spawn. What you have to do is click the up/down arrows button on your character portrait, and pick another character. When you get back to the previous screen, don't hit ready. Just let the auto-ready timer get to 0. So far, this has consistently gotten me into the action.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I got into a match, hit ready, and then it just sat there on waiting for players while everyone else got to play

EDIT: oh, answered above. That's a lovely bug.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I tried it out because I get pretty hard for Fall of Cybertron's multiplayer and this game doesn't really do it for me, outside of the bugs and stuttery nature of the game, everything feels a ton slower and all of the weapons are peashooters. It takes forever to kill somebody. I get that they want people to last longer so they don't go through their Transformer reserves so quick (when you die that Transformer you used is in "repair mode," effectively a cool-down so you're forced to use another one) but that mechanic in itself it really stupid. Lower the cool-down on the repair mode, up the damage on the weapons and don't make everything slow.

There's also no dash is there?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I tried it out because I get pretty hard for Fall of Cybertron's multiplayer and this game doesn't really do it for me, outside of the bugs and stuttery nature of the game, everything feels a ton slower and all of the weapons are peashooters. It takes forever to kill somebody. I get that they want people to last longer so they don't go through their Transformer reserves so quick (when you die that Transformer you used is in "repair mode," effectively a cool-down so you're forced to use another one) but that mechanic in itself it really stupid. Lower the cool-down on the repair mode, up the damage on the weapons and don't make everything slow.

Yeah, there's no dash. Vehicle mode is faster and it's pretty quick to swap modes when you need faster mobility. Some characters have an ability that boosts movespeed temporarily too.

But I agree, the cooldown mechanic is kind of frustrating to deal with. The cost to remove the cooldown is usually pretty cheap though (like 40 Energon I think?) so it's not too bad to deal with unless you're dying an excessive amount, which does happen sometimes.

As you level up more you'll gain things you can equip to your characters that provide extra bonuses to them (stuff like reducing power cooldowns when you get a kill or buffing movespeed when you get damaged), and those take the cooldown hit for you when you die, letting you use your bot again immediately but without those equipped bonuses. I've only got one of those slots open so far but there's something like eight of them, so the cooldown thing might become less of a problem as you level up more?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Sire Oblivion posted:

Not to my knowledge. They've got a pretty extensive feedback survey, and for whatever it's worth, everything you said here is pretty much what I said when I filled it out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maybe it's because I just want this game to be Fall of Cybertron but not dead and filled with cheaters, but the fast-paced nature of it was what made it so good, you died fast but respawned fast and got right back into the action. I think they're trying to fall into the MMO/MOBA archetypes where Medics only plink away at health and the other classes are what do the damage, which really sucks. I enjoy being support and getting kills. :smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I'd be all in for a good proper Cybertron-style multiplayer shooter with actual online infrastructure and something resembling security, but the more I hear about Transformers Universe the more reluctant I am to give it a shot.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Played this last night with my buddy who is a massive transformers nerd. It was pretty fun but so god drat janky. The teleporting enemies from lag was awful when you actually get into a match. They also need to rethink their cost plan because as it is right now its a total rip off. The upper tier bots are also 100% pay to win. We came up against another team of 3 all with paid bots and they were wrecking us with stuns and slows that you just can't get with the starters.

comatose fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 7, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

So here's my referral key: https://www.transformersuniverse.com/recruit/1a99108c27d5217efdad9f96d095c2cd46e4cfd9

Never was a real big Transformers fan but the game is pretty neat despite some major flaws.
They're trying to do the League of Legends hero thing but they've only given the player 3 basic bots, but they need to have one or two premium bots rotated weekly.

I guess my other issue is I've never seen a game crash so hard it brings my entire system to its knees. :stare:

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 7, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Maybe it's because I just want this game to be Fall of Cybertron but not dead and filled with cheaters, but the fast-paced nature of it was what made it so good, you died fast but respawned fast and got right back into the action. I think they're trying to fall into the MMO/MOBA archetypes where Medics only plink away at health and the other classes are what do the damage, which really sucks. I enjoy being support and getting kills. :smith:

I just did an Elimination match where my (Autobot) team went 20/0 as a pair of Triages and Overclocks. I even got 4 kill shots with my dinky dual pistols. The secret is to 1) stick together because teamwork is OP, 2) understand what weapons do what damage and switch appropriately and 3) actually use your non-weapon abilities.

The abilities (on 4, 5, 6) are huge game changers. These range from generic damage output buffs or shields to thing like redirecting damage back to attackers or souping up healing done while it's on. This is where the characters are really distinguished.

Also take advantage of weapon alt-fires. For Overclock and Drive-By's rockets it's a relatively simple DoT application, but for Triage/Hotwire's pistols it's pure knockback and Monsoon/Rampart's grenade launcher alt-fire immobilizes. AFAICT every weapon has a MMB alt-fire that has some (usually non-damage) application and pubbies almost never seem to use them.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Everything WarLocke said is incredibly useful and good and I want you to read it again.

WarLocke posted:

I just did an Elimination match where my (Autobot) team went 20/0 as a pair of Triages and Overclocks. I even got 4 kill shots with my dinky dual pistols. The secret is to 1) stick together because teamwork is OP, 2) understand what weapons do what damage and switch appropriately and 3) actually use your non-weapon abilities.

The abilities (on 4, 5, 6) are huge game changers. These range from generic damage output buffs or shields to thing like redirecting damage back to attackers or souping up healing done while it's on. This is where the characters are really distinguished.

Also take advantage of weapon alt-fires. For Overclock and Drive-By's rockets it's a relatively simple DoT application, but for Triage/Hotwire's pistols it's pure knockback and Monsoon/Rampart's grenade launcher alt-fire immobilizes. AFAICT every weapon has a MMB alt-fire that has some (usually non-damage) application and pubbies almost never seem to use them.

The downside to this is it means the game isn't Fall of Cybertron Redux, but actually a new title. The upside is, said new title still seems pretty cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Also worth knowing: The middle mouse button function on the heal-beam is a quick burst heal, which can really save someone's rear end if you've got the heal-boost ability active at the time.

There's a lot of combinations you can take advantage of to wreck the enemy team, but sticking together is priority number one just due to stuff like dogpiling on an immobilized enemy.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
So I decided to give this game a shot and tried it out because it's open and the OP recommended it pretty highly. Except by "tried", I mean I sat on a loading screen for 5 minutes, got to around 46% loaded, and then just alt-tabbed and closed the game. It's not like my computer is slow or anything though, because I went to a different game right after and that loads really quickly. Is there something up with my game, or is long rear end loading just a thing?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

JetGrind posted:

So I decided to give this game a shot and tried it out because it's open and the OP recommended it pretty highly. Except by "tried", I mean I sat on a loading screen for 5 minutes, got to around 46% loaded, and then just alt-tabbed and closed the game. It's not like my computer is slow or anything though, because I went to a different game right after and that loads really quickly. Is there something up with my game, or is long rear end loading just a thing?

When you 'install' the game you are just installing the core stuff and UI and junk; the first time you load it up it has to download all the graphics and mesh/level data for the home hub area and tutorial and all that (and the first time you go to the overworld or each PvP map you'll have a long download as it grabs them too). It's a dumb implementation of the 'play while everything streams to you!!! :haw:" design but that's how the game currently works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WarLocke posted:

So basically, this game isn't in Fall of Cybertron. Which is my beef with it; it's just too god drat slow and you have to rely on others to get kills depending on your class which is really lame design.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They're continuing the double XP thing through this upcoming weekend it looks like, if people are still interested in trying this out. Getting past the early levels and into some of the more useful bits of equipment slots can be pretty helpful for making the game be a little less punishing when you die.

Sire Oblivion posted:

So basically, this game isn't in Fall of Cybertron. Which is my beef with it; it's just too god drat slow and you have to rely on others to get kills depending on your class which is really lame design.

Yeah, it's still in beta though, so make sure you include that feedback in the post-play survey and there's a good chance they'll change things up a bit. That's basically what I hear most people saying about the game so they've got to be hearing that from the players.

But I don't know this company well so who knows if they'll actually listen or not to people.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Have they said why they aren't using Transformers that are recognizable? Most of the names pictured sound like they are from GI Joe instead of Transformers.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

jabro posted:

Have they said why they aren't using Transformers that are recognizable? Most of the names pictured sound like they are from GI Joe instead of Transformers.

So they can sell you ones that are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, it's still in beta though, so make sure you include that feedback in the post-play survey and there's a good chance they'll change things up a bit. That's basically what I hear most people saying about the game so they've got to be hearing that from the players.

But I don't know this company well so who knows if they'll actually listen or not to people.

I did the survey but I hold no hope for this game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

AlmightyBob posted:

So they can sell you ones that are.

Yeah, basically that. They're going to be selling the big name characters later on. It's also probably a lot quicker an approval process with Hasbro if they make up new characters instead of having to design iconic ones and get those approved.

Originally this game was a Transformers MMO where you chose a chassis and made your own character out of it, so I think most of these models are leftovers from that point in time, when they were meant to be generic player model options. But that's just a guess on my part.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Game's updated and removed the death cooldown mechanic from characters, so there's no 'repair' currency or waiting to play as whoever you want to play anymore. A pretty good change.

They've also added a few characters since anyone last posted in the thread. I don't know if there's much interest in playing the game right now but that seemed like a significant enough change to be worth letting people know about.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kelp Plankton posted:

Game's updated and removed the death cooldown mechanic from characters, so there's no 'repair' currency or waiting to play as whoever you want to play anymore. A pretty good change.

They've also added a few characters since anyone last posted in the thread. I don't know if there's much interest in playing the game right now but that seemed like a significant enough change to be worth letting people know about.

I guess I'll give it another... Whirl. :rimshot:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah holy poo poo I just saw this in my inbox. I stopped giving the buggy as gently caress game any time after all the moments of "Well, this is a 20 ticket team deathmatch. But all four only has 3 starter robots and those are dead soooooo...." This happened in the sense of nobody on our team having anyone to work with, or nobody on the Enemy team having bodies to work with so everyone got to just stand around awkwardly. Who the gently caress designs a deathmatch where you can go through all of the available "lives" before you are barely halfway through the required kills?

I wonder if those patch notes claiming enter works just like return for chat are true? Enter was always listed as opening chat, but it never worked for me or anybody I asked. It was always "Move mouse from center of screen to click chat bar" Every goddamned message.

Actual game mechanics, is it not surprisingly impossible to aim rocket launchers where you want them to go now? Part of why I loved my starter Monsoon was because his grenade launcher would shoot anywhere near where I'm aiming. Not "well it went a bit to the side/over their heads. again". Well okay, that and his super broken AoE immobilize which was responsible for about 80% of the kills for me and any nearby teammates. I always had mixed feelings on the auto-aim weapons. Saw so many people try to turn into cars to escape in a wild zigzag towards cover, only to die from auto-tracking chainguns/beams/etc. But then you had the "Why cant I aim these stupid shoulder rockets" on the other side so :v:

EDIT: Son of a bitch. The installer gives you no choice where it goes. Which is a bad thing for somebody who's C drive is a tiny little "I can fit windows on this" Solid state, regardless of how big a program is.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 7, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

welp this game got canceled lol

https://www.transformersuniverse.com/en/news/2014/12/important-tu-announcement-161214

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Good on them for refunding everyone who bought preorder packages. McQuaid could learn a thing or two.

• Locked thread