Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Looks like Aldo's injury is gonna shelve him for 45 days, so per Dana the fight could be rescheduled. Frankie had a visible grimace when he heard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BJ Penn officially retired.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Thank Christ

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

"It requires a high, high energy level to compete with the guys at the top."

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

1st AD posted:

BJ Penn officially retired.

Well, yeah. There's nothing left for him to do.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Let's remember BJ for the good times, like knocking Sean Sherk into another dimension.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BJ Penn is so loving depressed right now and he's begging Dana for a role in the UFC Gym :smith:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
...and now he's sobbing at the table. :(

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I lol'd at BJ talking about his best moment tonight.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

1st AD posted:

BJ Penn is so loving depressed right now and he's begging Dana for a role in the UFC Gym :smith:

Well I mean the gym is named after him.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CarlCX posted:

BJ's plan with the stance was being as Frankie is faster than him and counterpunching is supposed to be BJ's game, by standing taller he gave himself more room to move and generate power and thus would have more space to counter Frankie as he came in with his punches.

In practice this was of course a loving stupidass plan because that bit of space wasn't near enough to change how much faster and better Frankie is with his hands/kicks/takedowns/literally everything, but literally everything about taking this fight/unretiring at all was stupid.

when you watch strong counter punchers they don't create distance that way nor do they come towards their opponent throwing almost zero punches. bj looked like a cardio boxer, and not a particularly good one.

Not saying you are wrong in your assessment just saying holy poo poo if this was the plan it was maybe the worst executed one in recent UFC history.

Ironically, bj used to counter punch pretty well. He kept his head back and away, catching people reaching by ducking a bit and firing a stiff jab. He just was not fast enough or tricky enough for Edgar in their first two matches. Partly because of age/athleticism partly because he became very one dimensional towards the end of his career and Edgar (or Diaz )could comfortably pick him off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He kind of had a good round against Diaz though, it's just that he ran out of steam and then got demolished in the next 2 rounds. And he was dealing with size AND reach disadvantages.

I mean we'll never know what a non-lazy BJ would look like but I feel like he would've been better off training full time at a real camp instead of surrounding himself with sycophants.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

1st AD posted:

He kind of had a good round against Diaz though, it's just that he ran out of steam and then got demolished in the next 2 rounds. And he was dealing with size AND reach disadvantages.

I was just thinking about that fight earlier as to when it seemed really obvious he was slowing down...and that was almost 3 years ago.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I thought he broke his hand in the first round of the Diaz fight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Man I make fun of BJ a lot but seeing him constantly on the verge of tears is really depressing.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gimpsuitjones posted:

I thought he broke his hand in the first round of the Diaz fight

I haven't heard this. That would explain a lot. That fight was great though...vintage Diaz.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress you media dicks (have this delayed a bit)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lmao "we heard Felice Herrig almost got thrown off the show on the first day" in reference to TUF 20
Dana: "well...I wouldn't say she almost got thrown off. A fight broke out the first day."

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

lmao "we heard Felice Herrig almost got thrown off the show on the first day" in reference to TUF 20
Dana: "well...I wouldn't say she almost got thrown off. A fight broke out the first day."

They need something for the first show since there aren't any fights to get into the house.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

1st AD posted:

She probably started poo poo with torres or something. I really do not like her one bit.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

i still love you for who you are babby j

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Hooray MMA. Enjoy your favorite fighter while he/she lasts.

Then spend the rest of your life forgetting the horribly depressing end to their career.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
If he does still have some desire to compete I wonder if he'd take another run at Mundials.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
That was a very dreary press conference. I am glad I got to watch it though.

When BJ Penn was talking about his legacy and then just set the microphone down and bowed his head to cry and there was like half a second before Dana jumped in and started talking about how BJ Penn helped build the sport it was a pretty nice feel good moment after witnessing BJ Penn get elbowed in the head 15 times.

I wish he would have stayed retired but I hope that he got the closure he needed. It would be cool to see a BJ Penn reality show so hopefully those who made the "Vanilla Ice becomes amish show" are paying attention.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

No...no...not like this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lyoto machida. age - 36. gives highly competitive title fight. cements his status as a world class fighter.

baby j penn. age - 35. gives a performance so depressing it was literally bad for the sport. sobs post fight.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know anything about Lyoto but we can pretty much agree BJ is clean, yeah? That's something.

That picture makes me want to cry a little.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Now BJ can get really fat, compete in the UFC Silver Division (Metamoris), make babies, and continue to not work.

Godspeed, Baby Jay.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Remember when Bj fought Machida? He almost won.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Sprecherscrow posted:

If he does still have some desire to compete I wonder if he'd take another run at Mundials.

Metamoris match vs Aoki. Let's see it :getin:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

vainman posted:

Remember when Bj fought Machida? He almost won.

In fact he should've won but Japan

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol apparently Ben Askren was there snarking on Dana and Johny Hendricks :laffo:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/7/5876307/tweets-of-the-day-ben-askren-calls-out-johny-hendricks-while-at-tuf

Ben Askren posted:

@JohnyHendricks sitting front row looking like a fat boy. Hey Johny tell Uncle Dana to let you prove your actually the best. Can't beat me

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
BJ truly demonstrated the modern Hawaiian warrior spirit in mentally collapsing from the start as well as not really being Hawaiian

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Sad he went out like this though. Please stay retired BJ :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first fight was close as hell, the second fight was one sided, the third fight was beatdown. I am so glad there won't be a fourth.

BJ's a fat little legend, and better than the numbers his record show so I'd hope that future MMA fans actually take time to watch him at his best with those octopus like legs of his.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BJ Penn's career has really been great and has provided such moments as him punching Machida very hard and Machida looking terrified, him punching GSP very hard and GSP looking terrified, and him throwing his first and only headkick in his entire career against Diego Sanchez and stopping the fight with the cut that opened up from that kick. Also the whole thing with his mom and GSP's greasing.

But his crowning achievement was the Fitching of Jon Fitch and for that I am eternally grateful that he's a retarded little babby.

In closing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKYlznmNfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82twpwuE0iU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ76VkRe-gA

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I totally forgot this stupid Sunday show was on and it sounds like I dodged a whole lot of nonames and despair. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

Edit: Nvm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mogador fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread