Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
:siren::siren::siren: Evo 2014 is here! :siren::siren::siren:
Join us on IRC in #evo2014 on SynIRC!

That's right, folks: it's that time of year again. Time to blow off showering for way too long; stay up every night drinking, gambling, and playing old fighting games; get knocked out in pools and stick around anyway just to cheer on friends; or even just watch your heroes play in the biggest event of the year. Or, if you're not actually going, time to glue your rear end to your computer chair all weekend so you can catch the action on stream and think about how totally lame you are.

This is your thread for all things Evolution 2014. Post about the crazy poo poo that happens here, or join us on IRC to watch goons flip out in real time.

Seriously?

Evo (short for Evolution) is the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. Every summer, thousands of nerds from every corner of the globe converge on a resort hotel in lovely Las Vegas, Nevada to fight their way to the top across a wide array of games, from old-school classics to the biggest current AAA titles. The event draws millions of stream viewers across its three days, and also plays host to tons of vendors and indie game developers who are eager to get their wares into the hands of players. Past Evos have also included guest panels and game announcements from big name studios like Capcom and Namco.

Fundamentally, Evo is the ultimate expression of what the fighting game community is about : sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with your opponents and putting your skills to the test, then staying up all night hanging out with them and learning how the hell they beat you. Or, y'know, drinking and gambling. There's a ton of that poo poo, too.

Want a taste of Evos past? Here are some highlights from previous years:

And, of course, a classic from Evo's earlier days:

It's come a long way, but the energy there is bigger than ever.

Main Stage Lineup:

Secondary Lineup:

Pretty much anything you can think of! There will be side tournaments from Super Street Fighter II Turbo to Skullgirls, and everything in between.

Indie Showcase Lineup:

Towerfall Ascension
Starwhal
Nidhogg
Advent Saga
Lethal League
Videoball
Aztez
Yatagarasu
Battle Golf Association
Gunsport
...and more!

All times are PST (-7:00).
Final schedule is subject to change, and I don't have a schedule yet for Sunday, when the largest games will have their grand finals. Stay tuned for any changes, and expect dedicated streams for each of the two main stages (and probably more!).

Stage 1

Friday, July 11
08:00a – Smash Pools
04:00p – Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Finals
06:00p – Ultra Street Fighter 4 Quarter Finals
08:00p – Ultra Street Fighter 4 Semi-Finals
11:00p – Ultra Street Fighter 4 Exhibition

Saturday, July 12
08:00a – Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Pools
12:00p – Injustice Finals
02:00p – King of Fighters XIII Finals
05:00p – Super Street Fighter II Turbo Finals
07:00p – Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Quarter Finals
09:00p – Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Semi-Finals

Sunday, July 13
10:00a - Tournament Finals

Stage 2

Friday, July 11
08:00a – Injustice: Gods Among Us Pools
10:00a – Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Pools
12:00p – Injustice Semi-Finals
02:00p – Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Semi-Finals
04:00p – Remaining Smash Pools

Saturday, July 12
08:00a – Killer Instinct Pools
10:00a – Super Smash Bros. Melee Quarter-Finals
12:00p – Smash Bros. Semi-Finals
02:00p – BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Quarter-Finals
04:00p – BlazBlue Semi-Finals
06:00p – Killer Instinct Semi-Finals

Additionally, IGN will have streams going here: http://www.ign.com/events/evo

If you're a goon and you're attending Evo, and you're not a total loving sperglord weirdo download LINE for iOS/Android and send interrodactyl an add request. He can send you an invite to the goon channel, which is how we keep in touch and coordinate meetups and sessions while we're in Vegas.

I'll be updating this post where I can this week, but once Evo starts, I'll be tagging in Bebop to post updated brackets and other news in the next post. BEBOP GO!

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
This post will be reserved for updates and results and stuff since Brosnan himself will be at EVO.

Edit:

Brackets are here and will hopefully be updated as the event goes on: http://evo2014.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/index.html

Huge image showing schedule for main games:

Side events & other streams (all times in Pacific Standard Time):

http://www.twitch.tv/arkadeum - Super Turbo Tournament of Legends @ 9:30am Fri, X-Mania US @ 9:30am Sat, Vampire Savior Top 8 @ 3:30pm Sat
http://twitch.tv/madcatz - Yatagarasu @ 10am Fri & Sat, Soul Calibur II @ 5pm Fri, Persona 4 Arena Finals @ 8pm Fri, Skullgirls @ 1pm Sat, Soul Calibur V @ 6pm Sat, P4AU @ 9pm Sat
http://twitch.tv/jyosua - Guilty Gear @ 12pm Fri & Persona 4 Arena Pools @ 5:30pm Fri
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments - Smash side tournaments & some Melee pools
http://twitch.tv/cpsiv - Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike @ 3pm Fri, possibly won't be streamed
http://twitch.tv/thebrett - Gundam Extreme Vs. & (hopefully) Cooking With Brett
http://twitch.tv/streamofthehut - Mortal Kombat 9 @ 6pm on Sat
http://www.twitch.tv/ultraarcade - Killer Instinct

After Hours Salty Suites:

http://twitch.tv/nycfurby - USF4/UMVC3
http://twitch.tv/bifuteki - Doesn't matter, will be unwatchable
http://twitch.tv/logichole - Anime
http://twitch.tv/labzero - Skullgirls
http://twitch.tv/ultraarcade - Killer Instinct

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 10, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

looking forward to the smash bros aftermath

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Im gonna get really drunk and sloppy and cheer for fighting games. And craps.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Looking forward to

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Is Seth Killian going to be there this year? If he is, I hope he commentates Street Fighter and gets super emotional about the GODS OF JAPAN again.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
improtant things to know about fighting touranments:

yipes is the best

marn is fat and gross

marvel is fun to watch

lord knight will get second place

bananaken is a cool guy and also a goon, please support him like you would goku summoning a spirit bomb.

injustice players are literally insane

dont trust gootecks

if james chen says something as a fact, its probably wrong.

melee is actually a good game, but smash players smell terrible and call casual matches "friendlies". when you hear their lingo, you will almost certainly shake your head in shame.

there will probably be a stick sale.

evo might announce something, probably mkx characters.

guilty gear is literally the best game.

ok there u go.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Suddenblackout, a goon, is going to win injustice, kof, and usf4.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Fight game, wooo

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

KOF without BALA or Reynald is a pretty big bummer. I hope someone steps up to the plate vs. the CafeID dudes and Tokido.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Whens the goon poker game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to watching lots of Street Fighter and King of Fighters as usual.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope Chris G loses everything

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Overbite posted:

I hope Chris G loses everything

I hope the opposite of this. Well, I hope that Chris G gets second place to Suddenblackout, in all the events they are both competing in. Its all about the fundamentals.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Fereydun posted:

KOF without BALA or Reynald is a pretty big bummer. I hope someone steps up to the plate vs. the CafeID dudes and Tokido.

Why aren't they gonna be there?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Looking forward to Chrisg not winning marvel again this year. And then watch him cry on stream.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PunkBoy posted:

Is Seth Killian going to be there this year? If he is, I hope he commentates Street Fighter and gets super emotional about the GODS OF JAPAN again.

He's in the SF2 teams so I imagine they may put him on mic.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Looking forward to Super Smash Brothers Melee!!!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Looking forward to Chrisg not winning marvel again this year. And then watch him cry on stream.

He threw such a huge fit at last year's CEO, it was great!

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

iastudent posted:

Why aren't they gonna be there?
Reynald had to cancel recently because of some personal matters. I don't know about Bala though.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Agoat posted:

He threw such a huge fit at last year's CEO, it was great!

Link or rundown, if you'd be so inclined?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
My favorite part of Evo is the ~20 people who always stand up looking for someone to bet 1:1 against the JP player or on Gief against Sagat or some poo poo. Nobody likes Sephiroth against Mago, get the gently caress outta here. Looking forward to seven invaders in SF4 top 8 again and BBCP hype!

E: Pro sidebet: how many morbidly obese people are within ten yards of the stage during Smash finals?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Don't know why it doesn't list it on the schedule but Ultra pools start first thing Friday. I can't imagine they wouldn't stream any of that.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Can someone make a tracker that tells me whether Justin Wong is a hero or a villain throughout the tourney? I hate the guy with a passion but apparently people love him now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zurreco posted:

Can someone make a tracker that tells me whether Justin Wong is a hero or a villain throughout the tourney? I hate the guy with a passion but apparently people love him now.

He was playing Elena last week, so that's probably why

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why would anyone dislike anyone in fighting games? Unless they're like a dick or something?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zurreco posted:

John Cena Justin Wong is the most divisive figure in the WWE FGC.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

a cop posted:

Why would anyone dislike anyone in fighting games? Unless they're like a dick or something?

He played Storm in MvC2 so everyone already hated him by default, but he was the traditional "PLAY TO WIN SIRLIN WAS RIGHT" kind of guy for a while which made him insufferable

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This year is Justin Wong's year just like every other year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cop posted:

everyone is a dick in fighting games

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Endorph posted:

everyone is a dick in fighting games

Ya I like em all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I too enjoy dicks.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Oh man, I'm going out Saturday night and I was afraid I might miss something good. Thank god it's only Marvel Semis.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Has anyone gone through the pool listings yet to find the interesting matchups / killer pools yet?

edit - and thank goodness for being on the east coast, I work Friday until 10pm but will be home in time to catch a lot of top level Ultra

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurreco posted:

When he's against a Zero or Chris G he's definitely getting cheered. Probably cheers against international competition too. Rufus mirrors and 3S Chun get booed.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

You can't bet on evo stuff at the sports book can you?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

improtant things to know about fighting touranments:

yipes is the best

marn is fat and gross

marvel is fun to watch

lord knight will get second place

bananaken is a cool guy and also a goon, please support him like you would goku summoning a spirit bomb.

injustice players are literally insane

dont trust gootecks

if james chen says something as a fact, its probably wrong.

melee is actually a good game, but smash players smell terrible and call casual matches "friendlies". when you hear their lingo, you will almost certainly shake your head in shame.

there will probably be a stick sale.

evo might announce something, probably mkx characters.

guilty gear is literally the best game.

ok there u go.

All of this is true.

Mio Bison posted:

E: Pro sidebet: how many morbidly obese people are within ten yards of the stage during Smash finals?

I've got nothing to bet with, but I'm gonna estimate around 50 people within the first three rows.
At least one person will be trying to eat/drink something.
At least everyone else will feel kinda awkward.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

No drinks in the exhibit hall :maddowns:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, King of Fighters look like they got a bullshit schedule by being treated as 2nd tier citizen despite being like top 3 in viewers the past 2 Evo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Tae posted:

Man, King of Fighters look like they got a bullshit schedule by being treated as 2nd tier citizen despite being like top 3 in viewers the past 2 Evo's.

They're going to drop out of the top 5 in viewership pretty easily. Obviously USF4 and UMvC3 will be top 2, but BlazBlue and Smash will pass it, and probably SFxT at #5. Even KI is starting to pick up some steam while KoF is aging. KoF is legit boring as gently caress to watch, even if you know exactly what is going on.

Better than Injustice, sure, but... eh.

iPodschun posted:

When he's against a Zero or Chris G he's definitely getting cheered. Probably cheers against international competition too. Rufus mirrors and 3S Chun get booed.

What happens when he starts running a Zero/Dormmamu/Morrigan? People will hate him again, right?

• Locked thread