Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

In 1972, Apollo 17 discovers a structure on the Moon. This structure, a Hypergate to Mars, allows Humanity to begin colonizing the red planet. Soon, however, the Vers Empire appeared and claimed dominion over the ruins of high technology found there. A war broke out, destroying much of the Moon and changing the world forever. Now, after 15 years of uneasy peace, the Vers Empire has found the perfect excuse to invade Earth: the assassination of their goodwill ambassador, Princess Asseylum.

Who's doing this?
The director is Ei Aoki. The original series creator is Gen Urobuchi. The series is produced by Nitroplus and animated by A-1 Pictures and TROYCA. Thank you Wikipedia for making this info easy for me to find.

Episode One just aired. As much as I hate the site, it's being simulcast for free on Crunchyroll.

Oh, and I suppose I ought to post a few of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The original character designer is Takako Shimura. The mangaka of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

After watching the first episode I just want to applaud you for the thread title.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Holy crap, its Mechwarrior the Anime. Clans coming to invade the inner-sphere in a cut-throat free for all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Should also be noted that the writer is Katsuhiko Takayama, who has written stuff like Ga-Rei Zero and Baka & Test.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thor-Stryker posted:

Holy crap, its Mechwarrior the Anime. Clans coming to invade the inner-sphere in a cut-throat free for all.

That seems...surprisingly apt. It even has mechs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay, so when they say the Vers empire appeared, does that mean the people on Mars decided, hey we're an "empire" of new humans now, gently caress off. Or did a bunch of people from outside the system suddenly show up when explorers found those artifacts? The former seems like a really really short time frame for all that to happen, but they're constantly referred to as Martians so idk.

Also someone at A-1 took the time to research what nuclear shockwaves looks like. The missile scene is really well put together.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering about that too. A bunch of places say it just "appeared" which made me think that some people went full Zeon and tried to make a Spacenoid Race type thing, but then the talk of "generations" and whatnot wouldn't make any sense. Wikipedia says that they emigrated to Mars thousands of years ago, though, which makes more sense.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I hated the princess' voice, so I have to admit I laughed when the missile hit.

So far it's pretty interesting, with some neat robots.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

psyer posted:

The original character designer is Takako Shimura. The mangaka of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son.

:aaa: what?! Well now I've got to watch it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Great thread title, fantastic first episode. That bridge scene was loving brutal, holy gently caress.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mango Polo posted:

I hated the princess' voice, so I have to admit I laughed when the missile hit.

So far it's pretty interesting, with some neat robots.

Willing to bet that it wasn't actually the princess who died, given they made a big show of, well, not showing her face at any point after she got out of the limo.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The princess is obviously not dead, right? When she gets out of the car and watches the missile approach they intentionally framed the shot from behind so that you never see her face. That sort of thing always stands out to me.

Edit: Haha beaten.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

paragon1 posted:

Okay, so when they say the Vers empire appeared, does that mean the people on Mars decided, hey we're an "empire" of new humans now, gently caress off. Or did a bunch of people from outside the system suddenly show up when explorers found those artifacts? The former seems like a really really short time frame for all that to happen, but they're constantly referred to as Martians so idk.

Also someone at A-1 took the time to research what nuclear shockwaves looks like. The missile scene is really well put together.

It's the latter; from what I gather the Vers Empire left the solar system thousands of years ago using the alien technology they found to go do empire things in other star systems. They had outposts/colonies/something (relics) on Mars and when the remaining Earth humans started getting uppity they just reclaimed it and moved back in to use Mars as a staging area for dealing with Earth.

The anime explicitly mentioned Martian relics, so it has to be something old and abandoned, and the Vers empire coming back (the princess had never seen Earth with her own eyes, and mentions her home planet being Vers) to claim them. The Vers empire isn't a "Martian" empire; I think everyone's being confused by the mention of an ancient "Martian" civilization, which is either the Vers empire's previous holdings on Mars or the alien civilization that left behind their technology.

An alternate reading is that the Vers empire never really colonized Mars (and just emigrated from Earth straight to Vers and other systems) in the past and everything on Mars was from the even earlier, potentially alien, civilization and the Vers empire is just claiming it to keep Earth from learning its secrets.

edit: Also I have no idea how the Earthfall operation spans generations either. Maybe he's talking about finishing the job their ancient ancestors started?

My theory is that the Vers empire was one of a number of ancient Earth nations or civilizations and it just blasted its competitors back to the stone age before leaving Earth. This also gives it a reason for why it left Earth to make another planet its capital.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 7, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desuwa posted:

It's the latter, from what I gather the Vers Empire left the solar system thousands of years ago using the alien technology they found to go do empire things in other star systems. They had outposts/colonies/something (relics) on Mars and when the remaining Earth humans started getting uppity they just reclaimed it and moved back in to use Mars as a staging area for dealing with Earth.

The anime explicitly mentioned Martian relics, so it has to be something old and abandoned, and the Vers empire coming back (the princess had never seen Earth with her own eyes, and mentions her home planet being Vers) to claim them. The Vers empire isn't a "Martian" empire; I think everyone's being confused by the mention of an ancient "Martian" civilization, which is either the Vers empire's previous holdings on Mars or the alien civilization that left behind their technology.

An alternate reading is that the Vers empire never really colonized Mars (and just emigrated from Earth straight to Vers and other systems) in the past and everything on Mars was from the even earlier, potentially alien, civilization and the Vers empire is just claiming it to keep Earth from learning its secrets.

I'm liking this interpretation more, actually. I imagine it'll be made clearer as time goes on.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering why they chose New Orleans to land, I just noticed this...

Even outside of Gundam Australia can't escape the Colony Drop.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Man, the ending of the first episode, they certainly like their black humor don't they?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Willing to bet that it wasn't actually the princess who died, given they made a big show of, well, not showing her face at any point after she got out of the limo.

Of course, but it still made me laugh :shobon:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, the ending of the first episode, they certainly like their black humor don't they?

That was too depressing to be humor.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The more Urobuchi shows I watch, the more I realize I was never an Urobuchi fan, I just liked Madoka for the trippy witch battles.

For all it's awkward exposition, the first episode was really bad at explaining what the gently caress. I am gonna give it a 3 episode test just to see how the battles look at least, but I don't think I'll stick around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

That was too depressing to be humor.

Actually that part was hilarious as hell!

Rexides posted:

The more Urobuchi shows I watch, the more I realize I was never an Urobuchi fan, I just liked Madoka for the trippy witch battles.

For all it's awkward exposition, the first episode was really bad at explaining what the gently caress. I am gonna give it a 3 episode test just to see how the battles look at least, but I don't think I'll stick around.

Dude loves the hell out of his infodumping, which really turns me off most of his shows. It really shows his visual novel roots and dang, that just makes things really tough to sit through.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Actually that part was hilarious as hell!

Dude loves the hell out of his infodumping, which really turns me off most of his shows. It really shows his visual novel roots and dang, that just makes things really tough to sit through.

It's mostly a first-episode problem. Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass both had infodumpy first episodes that made a bad first impression, but got better fairly quickly.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
The pretty obvious setup they're likely going for is the princess isn't dead, one of the counts either ordered the hit himself or have the princess' route info to some terrestrial warhawks, random high school kids get access to EARTHS LAST HOPE EXPERIMENTAL MECHA 001, the moon knight guy from the first few minutes starts as an enemy but ends up changing sides when he realizes the princess is inconveniently alive, and the rear end in a top hat (though honest?) count guy changes sides when he finds out one of the other counts was behind the hit on the princess

I hope they find some way to make this interesting or go wildly off the tracks because I doubt I'll last otherwise. Maybe if the actual princess really did die and it's her body double that survived, and now the kids all have to do a bunch of horrible poo poo to get everyone to buy she's the real thing to stop the war.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's two middle fingers up at Cyborg 009's ending is what it is.

Srice posted:

Should also be noted that the writer is Katsuhiko Takayama, who has written stuff like Ga-Rei Zero and Baka & Test.
His comedy acumin is by far his best card, this was boring and Ga-Rei was nothing to write home about ether IIRC.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 8, 2014

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

The America's got hosed up didn't it? Pretty much all the powerful nations got hit pretty hard except Russia. France and the UK look seemingly intact but with the nearby crater in Spain, their population centers probably took a toll.

e: The crater that I thought was in Spain is actually the Bay of Biscay, oops.

Silvain fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 9, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Silvain posted:

The America's got hosed up didn't it? Pretty much all the powerful nations got hit pretty hard except Russia. France and the UK look seemingly intact but with the nearby crater in Spain, their population centers probably took a toll.

Realistically, all life on the planet should be dead, given the force needed to do all that. Even discounting that, New Orleans shouldn't even have still been around to get landed on. Given how close it is to those impact craters, and the fact that it's BELOW SEA LEVEL, it should have simply been drowned under a huge amount of water 15 years previous.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It kind of bothers me that every piece of the moon seems to have fallen near the coast. The ones in the Americas that were further inland conveniently landed next to other craters to let water in.

Also it looks like the Black sea got filled in.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wonder why the UK is oddly intact. Maybe perhaps the Mars people, being all prim and proper and so very English, consider the royalty from the United Kingdom as the only humans ever worth considering as distant relatives.

Which explains why Ireland is hosed in that image with the removal of Dublin but keeping Northern Ireland somewhat intact.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Why is there a chunk taken out of Bangladesh? That doesn't seem like a particularly useful place to bombard, given most of Europe is still fine.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Half the moon blew up, the chunks fell on Earth. The destruction is all (supposedly) random. As for Russia, I'm assuming it took hits, just not close enough to the coast to have filled in with water. That map is only showing land vs. water, as opposed to anything more complex.

edit: Alternatively, go with the joke answer in the Preview thread. They handed a world map to a junior animator and told him to erase random portions of it. Which would also explain the disconnect between the hilarious amount of land gone and the fact that life and civilization is still generally continuing as usual.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 9, 2014

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

That junior animator has something against North Korea.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

psyer posted:

Yes I totally figured it out just by glancing at the shots. Oh man, I have to watch this now. Urobuchi and Shimura? :getin:

PerrineClostermann posted:

By the way, in case anyone is wondering why they chose New Orleans to land, I just noticed this...

Even outside of Gundam Australia can't escape the Colony Drop.

Wow, I didn't know we were playing Wonderful 101 :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yes I totally figured it out just by glancing at the shots. Oh man, I have to watch this now. Urobuchi and Shimura? :getin:

I'm not sure I would have noticed without prompting, but you can definitely see her hand in the faces occasionally. It's not super visually interesting overall, I was hoping for more since the director did adapt Wandering Son and that show's use of the watercolor aesthetic was really great looking, and Fate/zero isn't any slouch in that department either.

Interesting first episode, enough to get me to watch the second anyway. Not much of an Urobuchi fan really, even though I love Madoka Magicka, but who knows this might have some potential for me.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Urobuchi only wrote 3 episodes of Aldnoah, he isn't writing the rest. At his AX panel he implied he wrote the first 3 episodes. This is why the series comp is Katsuhiko Takayama, who will be taking over at episode 4 presumably.

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp
Poor new orleans but at least we're seeing somewhere outside of Japan being destroyed in anime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, the shot was too conspicuously vague to not be setting something like this up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Desuwa posted:

It's the latter; from what I gather the Vers Empire left the solar system thousands of years ago using the alien technology they found to go do empire things in other star systems. They had outposts/colonies/something (relics) on Mars and when the remaining Earth humans started getting uppity they just reclaimed it and moved back in to use Mars as a staging area for dealing with Earth.

edit: Also I have no idea how the Earthfall operation spans generations either. Maybe he's talking about finishing the job their ancient ancestors started?

My theory is that the Vers empire was one of a number of ancient Earth nations or civilizations and it just blasted its competitors back to the stone age before leaving Earth. This also gives it a reason for why it left Earth to make another planet its capital.

This makes way more sense. I was wondering why a bunch of guys that left earth 40 years ago were spouting all this master race bullshit.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
"There's a missile coming." :geno:

I'm intrigued about the Knights of Mars, since everything points to them being much more likely to fight each other than the Earth.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Wait, so did the gigantic orbital lander things come from the orbital knights or from the enemy homeworld? I thought the two were semi-separate, as they said a lot of the enemy guys got stranded in space when the moon portal blew up, and only recently had travel between worlds been re-established.

Seems odd the stranded guys would have the resources to put those hilariously gigantic things together, let alone nineteen of them - especially if they were having to build then somewhere that Earth could presumably see them doing it - so I thought the bad guys brought the huge things with them when they came back.

That would make the guy tutoring the princess at the start one of the orbital knights, since he was teaching her about local stuff that the nobles from off-world wouldn't know, and why the noble guy slapped his trashy rear end for getting too close to her since they might be considered to have gone native or something.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

"There's a missile coming." :geno:

I'm intrigued about the Knights of Mars, since everything points to them being much more likely to fight each other than the Earth.

It honestly feels like they will get around to that, Earth is their battleground and woe to those caught between them

Coldbird posted:

That would make the guy tutoring the princess at the start one of the orbital knights, since he was teaching her about local stuff that the nobles from off-world wouldn't know, and why the noble guy slapped his trashy rear end for getting too close to her since they might be considered to have gone native or something.

Woah how the hell did you get that idea. The noble calls the kid a Terran and the kid mentions that he and his dad was saved thanks to her.

The noble is another Orbital Knight as he is in charge of the "castle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

boredsatellite posted:

Woah how the hell did you get that idea. The noble calls the kid a Terran and the kid mentions that he and his dad was saved thanks to her.

The noble is another Orbital Knight as he is in charge of the "castle"
He seems young enough to maybe have been born after the gate exploded. Maybe the nobles consider kids born in orbit of Earth to be effectively Terran...? I don't remember him being called that, not sure why he was wearing a uniform if he wasn't one of the bad guys.

• Locked thread